Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loving the 2nd round...

4 posters

Go down

Loving the 2nd round... Empty Loving the 2nd round...

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:00 am

While Coples is a big risk reward kind of guy, boom or bust, w/e moniker you want to place on him, in the second round I think the Jets nailed it.

Stephen Hill (WR) - 6'4" 215lbs 4.36 40 yard dash (some scouts said they clocked him between 4.2-4.3) That is insane. That is Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson type stuff right there. He average over 25ypc in his college career, and while he didn't have a ton of receptions, that's due to the team he was on. Last season for instance he totaled 28 receptions, but as a team they only completed 64 passes. This kid is going to be an impact WR IMO for sure. It may not happen in his first season since he isn't coming from a pro-style offense in college, so there will be a lot to learn, but with his size, and skill set I wouldn't bet against it.

Damario Davis (LB) - I was looking for an offensive lineman with this pick, but with Bart Scott in his twilight, and the Jets needing a LB who can cover RBs / TEs this guy has the size and speed to do it. Isn't smooth through the hips, but that can be taught. This guy was a top performer at the combine for LBs in several categories including the 40 @ 4.6 sec, the Vert @ 38.5" the 60 Shuttle @ 11.6 and the long jump. He also ripped off 32 reps on the bench press. He can play ILB or OLB and was a beast against the run in college, and was great at getting outside to shut down rushing plays off the edge.

We all talked about the Jets needing to add speed to the team, and these two picks definitely help in that area.

Last season the Jets had issues because they couldn't spread the field on offense, and Hill can definitely do that with a serious height / speed advantage on a vast majority of DB's in the league.

The Jets also had issues setting the edge against the run, as Thomas and crew just didn't have the speed to set the edge, they also had problems with TEs and RBs out in the flat because they didn't have the size / speed to match up, but Davis changes that IF he can smooth out his technique and prove to be a decent cover guy. However, against the run, this guy is a no doubter.

I dont think anybody can say the Jets didn't improve this team (possibly A LOT) with their first 3 picks.

Back to top Go down

Loving the 2nd round... Empty Re: Loving the 2nd round...

Post by LRJets Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:29 am

Trax, the more I've been reading about Coples in the last 24 hours, the more I like him. Great tools to get the job done.

Hill has a knock on him for not enough catches. He played in a triple-option offense, yet Mayock was knocking him that his one season catch total equals 4 games of Michael Floyd. I think he can develop quickly.

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:05 pm

LRJets wrote:Trax, the more I've been reading about Coples in the last 24 hours, the more I like him. Great tools to get the job done.

Hill has a knock on him for not enough catches. He played in a triple-option offense, yet Mayock was knocking him that his one season catch total equals 4 games of Michael Floyd. I think he can develop quickly.

This time last season I absolutely loved Coples, and then early in the season I fell into the trap that he was a work ethic issue. I am still lukewarm about it, because you just don't know. However, you do have to factor in all the coaching changes, position changes, etc he went through in his senior season. If he didn't start the season out slow (still had a total of 7.5 sacks) he would have been in the top 5-10 picks easy. I know if he brings it, he will be huge. I am just super sensitive about the work ethic questions ppl raise because of what we saw happen with Gholston.

Hill, is a dynamic receiver. He is as big, yet much quicker than Floyd and what Mayock has to remember is IF Hill played in a pro-style offense like Floyd did, then what would his #'s be? What would Floyd's #'s be if he played in a triple-option offense. If you notice they never knock his skill set, ability, speed, size, hands, etc. Only the results, which are a direct result of the style of offense. Mayock is reaching with his criticism on this one.

OK time for work. Adios ladies and gents. J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishJets1129 Tue May 01, 2012 6:13 pm

I like the second 2 pick that was made by the Jets WR, Hill and ILB/OLB D, Davis. they should have alot of playing time next season. I also think SS, Antonio Allen we may see some him next season as well.
IrishJets1129
IrishJets1129
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 01, 2012 8:41 pm

IrishJets1129 wrote:I like the second 2 pick that was made by the Jets WR, Hill and ILB/OLB D, Davis. they should have alot of playing time next season. I also think SS, Antonio Allen we may see some him next season as well.

Allen could be a big steal. He dropped because he was a hybrid player. He was a SS that often lined up in the box, like an ILB. It scared teams off as they didn't know if he could cover being back 12-15 yards off the line. I love it though, he's big and physical as hell, and he's quick. If he can come in on short yardage downs and stuff the run, I say great. They can smooth him into playing over the top, and in the meantime make use of his skill set, much like they did with Maybin last season.

Let's not forget this guy was an ALL-SEC defensive player.

Back to top Go down

Post by lirok Wed May 02, 2012 10:29 am

Mulligan is long gone. Signed with the Rams.
lirok
lirok

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishJets1129 Wed May 02, 2012 10:48 am

I never knew that TE, Matt Mulligan has signed with the Rams so glad he gone. So that leave Keller as the starter TE, Josh Baker & Jeff Cumberland, will be the back up that sound good for me anyone better then Mulligan.
IrishJets1129
IrishJets1129
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Thu May 03, 2012 12:22 pm

IrishJets1129 wrote:I never knew that TE, Matt Mulligan has signed with the Rams so glad he gone. So that leave Keller as the starter TE, Josh Baker & Jeff Cumberland, will be the back up that sound good for me anyone better then Mulligan.

Too bad John Connor wasn't a little bigger. Perhaps he could have made the switch to TE. My guess is that when teams cut players in June the Jets will claim a TE and RT.
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down