Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our first round pick...

4 posters

Go down

Our first round pick... Empty Our first round pick...

Post by JnC4GB Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:33 am

NICK PERRY, OLB, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

What NFL scouts told Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel about outside linebacker Nick Perry, the Green Bay Packers' first-round selection:

AFC scout: "He's got great potential. He could play anything he wants. He played during the year at 250 some and at the combine, I thought he was nuts, he was 271. He still ran in the 4.5s. He's explosive."
AFC scout: "Very steady. Complete player. Can handle the run well. He's a very good pass rusher. Not like the (Dwight) Freeney type. Solid. He needs to be respected. He's not as explosive as Clay Matthews. He'd probably be a little stronger against the run as an end."
AFC scout: "He's the kid from Ohio State (Vernon Gholston). Buyer beware there. He's a good athlete that, let's just say, is a little soft."
NFC scout: "His motor is OK. Hot and cold a little bit. He's a talented guy. He will go high."
Rick Reiprish, New Orleans: "I think he's a 4-3 guy. That suits him better."
NFC scout: "Workout guy who doesn't play good." (Mike Neal anybody?)
NFC scout: "He's a little bit like (Andre) Branch. He's scheme versatile. He's got some pop in his body, that explosiveness that you look for. Yet, you didn't see him rush all the time at SC. He's got a lot of potential as a rusher. He's got the size, speed and athleticism to play outside backer. If you're betting on the up side with any of these players, this would be the guy to do it with. From what I know, he's an OK kid. No huge red flags."
AFC scout: "I think he will be standing up in a 3-4. He's an NFL talent because of what's going on these days. You've got those hybrid type guys. He's a good player. He's not as sudden and quick as some of the top-level guys, but he's that next tier down."
AFC scout: "He's an excellent workout guy. He's probably a second-round pick, without a doubt."
AFC scout: "It's close, but he can do the 3-4. I don't like him, but I'm in the minority."
NFC scout: "He's talented, but you can't depend on him. I think Perry could do whatever he wanted to do but he doesn't do it on a consistent basis. He's talented enough to stand up, sure."
NFC scout: "I think the 4-3 is his best fit. He might have a little better chance to reduce down and be an outside backer in a 3-4."
AFC scout: "Good player. He wore out Stanford's junior left tackle (Jonathan Martin). He played both down and up. Basically down. He and Clay Matthews didn't play the same way. Matthews played off the line. This guys plays down on the line. He's tall and linear built. Yeah, he can rush the passer. First round. I like him."
AFC scout: "He can stand up. I'm not sure about anything, but he's got a better chance than (Courtney) Upshaw."
NFC scout: "He can play up, but he's growing himself into a 4-3 guy. He's 258 when I saw him play UCLA. He's not very smart but a hell of a kid and he's strong as hell. If he had stayed another year he'd probably have been a late first-round pick next year. He is probably first round this year for a 4-3 team."
NFC scout: "Totally different cat than Clay Matthews. He's an undersized D-end. He's not as powerful as Trent Cole. He tries to finesse his way around guys. He's an average pass rusher. Second round."
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Our first round pick... Empty Re: Our first round pick...

Post by RingoCStarrQB Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:51 am

Sounds like a 3rd rounder to me. Maybe Green Bay will take him to the next level.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:57 am

JnC4GB wrote:NICK PERRY, OLB, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
What NFL scouts told Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel about outside linebacker Nick Perry, the Green Bay Packers' first-round selection:

AFC scout: "He's got great potential. He could play anything he wants. He played during the year at 250 some and at the combine, I thought he was nuts, he was 271. He still ran in the 4.5s. He's explosive."
AFC scout: "Very steady. Complete player. Can handle the run well. He's a very good pass rusher. Not like the (Dwight) Freeney type. Solid. He needs to be respected. He's not as explosive as Clay Matthews. He'd probably be a little stronger against the run as an end."
AFC scout: "He's the kid from Ohio State (Vernon Gholston). Buyer beware there. He's a good athlete that, let's just say, is a little soft."
NFC scout: "His motor is OK. Hot and cold a little bit. He's a talented guy. He will go high."
Rick Reiprish, New Orleans: "I think he's a 4-3 guy. That suits him better."
NFC scout: "Workout guy who doesn't play good." (Mike Neal anybody?)
NFC scout: "He's a little bit like (Andre) Branch. He's scheme versatile. He's got some pop in his body, that explosiveness that you look for. Yet, you didn't see him rush all the time at SC. He's got a lot of potential as a rusher. He's got the size, speed and athleticism to play outside backer. If you're betting on the up side with any of these players, this would be the guy to do it with. From what I know, he's an OK kid. No huge red flags."
AFC scout: "I think he will be standing up in a 3-4. He's an NFL talent because of what's going on these days. You've got those hybrid type guys. He's a good player. He's not as sudden and quick as some of the top-level guys, but he's that next tier down."
AFC scout: "He's an excellent workout guy. He's probably a second-round pick, without a doubt."
AFC scout: "It's close, but he can do the 3-4. I don't like him, but I'm in the minority."
NFC scout: "He's talented, but you can't depend on him. I think Perry could do whatever he wanted to do but he doesn't do it on a consistent basis. He's talented enough to stand up, sure."
NFC scout: "I think the 4-3 is his best fit. He might have a little better chance to reduce down and be an outside backer in a 3-4."
AFC scout: "Good player. He wore out Stanford's junior left tackle (Jonathan Martin). He played both down and up. Basically down. He and Clay Matthews didn't play the same way. Matthews played off the line. This guys plays down on the line. He's tall and linear built. Yeah, he can rush the passer. First round. I like him."
AFC scout: "He can stand up. I'm not sure about anything, but he's got a better chance than (Courtney) Upshaw."
NFC scout: "He can play up, but he's growing himself into a 4-3 guy. He's 258 when I saw him play UCLA. He's not very smart but a hell of a kid and he's strong as hell. If he had stayed another year he'd probably have been a late first-round pick next year. He is probably first round this year for a 4-3 team."
NFC scout: "Totally different cat than Clay Matthews. He's an undersized D-end. He's not as powerful as Trent Cole. He tries to finesse his way around guys. He's an average pass rusher. Second round."

Cocksuckers took Mercilus two picks before the Pack... That's the player I wanted. Perry seems like one of those people who can be anything he wants to be--so the time is now to start wanting to be something, motherfucker!

Spielman of the queens pulled my kind of move turning the #3 pick into the #4 in getting his man--plus 3 other picks... If you have it--why not eat it... Best move seen out of the quiefdom since the 'munt came aboard... Cool

TT really needs to mine some gems tonight. This team has way too many beggers and thieves on the D, bitches... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:20 am

I don't follow college football enough to know how Perry compares to the rest of the talent out there... but I do know he looked good the time I saw him play against Stanford.

However, I do have confidence that TT made a good choice. The one thing he indisputably does well is make good draft selections.

And, yeah... that move by Minnesota was fucking brilliant. Two free picks! I can't believe the Browns were bluffed into thinking the team with AP and a good back up in Gerhardt were going to go for a running back when it seemed obvious they were targeting Kalil.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:42 am

duck wrote:I don't follow college football enough to know how Perry compares to the rest of the talent out there... but I do know he looked good the time I saw him play against Stanford.

However, I do have confidence that TT made a good choice. The one thing he indisputably does well is make good draft selections.

And, yeah... that move by Minnesota was fucking brilliant. Two free picks! I can't believe the Browns were bluffed into thinking the team with AP and a good back up in Gerhardt were going to go for a running back when it seemed obvious they were targeting Kalil.

That's not what he was leveraging, Duck... What he was leveraging was another team's interest in trading up with them in securing the #3 spot to score the running back... Spielman actually made every move right pre-draft to establish his market for the #3--then just harvested the best of his crop. Fine job... Wink

Given the state of the queens roster--Spielman did exactly what he should have. They need an infusion of young talent...badly...so now is the time to throw some shit on the wall, play the numbers game, and hope for some sticky shit. They would have taken RGIII with the #2--but #3 was worth more to others than it was to them--again--given the sad state of the queens roster...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Overview

Nick Perry was a top defensive end recruit out of Detroit that Pete Carroll was able to cherry-pick to USC, and his impact playing the "elephant" position within Caroll's defense as a freshman will encourage many teams to consider drafting him as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. As a sophomore and junior he continued to develop into an elite pass rushing prospect, and has the size and athletic ability to be successful working against NFL tackles at the next level. He is a physically put together athlete with a good motor and extremely uncommon balance, and has late first round value.

Analysis

Strengths

Perry has a very strong base and balance that helps him work against tackles and keep momentum towards the backfield regardless of his initial move. He is reminiscent of current Pittsburgh OLB's Harrison and Woodley, players who can set the edge with a strong, powerful base and are capable of winning using a direct bull rush. Perry plays with good leverage in all that he does and has surprising athleticism for his size. He has a good burst off the ball and a natural feel for disrupting plays. He chases laterally down the line well and is a sound tackler when he reaches the ball. He can beat tackles with power or quick gap penetration, and has developed his hands and spin moves over time. He has fluid hips and feet in the open field and looks capable of playing from a two point stance in an outside position. He will be reliable even as a rookie to set the edge and defend the run with strength.
Weaknesses

Perry can get tied up on double teams often and have trouble when working against lineman in a tight area. This would bode well for a move to outside backer, where he can rush with more space and better set up his pass rush moves. He is projected by many to move to OLB in the NFL, and it remains to be seen if Perry can cover and move well in space to the flats, as he wasn't asked to do it often at USC. Perry is a thick player but still a bit of a positional tweener, and doesn't quite have the strength of most defenders his size. He could have trouble against the bigger, stronger offensive tackles in the NFL who can neutralize his leverage and power.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good lateral movement and actually appears to be a better raw athlete with much, MUCH better upper body strength than Shea McClellen--who the Bears reached for, but could have been a reasonable pick for the Pack at 28... Perry beefed up for the combine at 271--apparently with the idea of positioning himself better as a ground touching end after playing at USC at 250 and has the frame to bulk up and actually play end in the 34, but IMO should be put on heavy cardio and trimmed down to ~260 then turned over to Kevin Greene. This boy has too much playmaking ability to serve as a block-eater in a 34. I like the pick. Uncommonly good athleticism for a big man. Would have loved to see his combine at 250 instead of 270. Questions about his drive/passion/determination? LOL! You don't know Kevin Greene, do you? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Say this about TT- whatever delusions he might have harbored about the state of our defense at one time he has since been thoroughly separated from.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:59 am

To be or not to be...........that is the question.

Courage the price the life exacts to create peace.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:00 am

Winning isn't everything............Run To Daylight
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Here's why people with very limited insight into their subject matter should not attempt to draw conclusions. This dude obviously has very little understanding of the 34 and the roles/attributes necessary to best perform in it and stumbles over himself repeatedly with his contradictions. Pens are very dangerous weapons in the hands of fuckknobs like this... Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:34 pm

If this guy can tackle better and has more speed than our other LBs ('cept ClayMaker).........we have something here. Put Perry and Matthews on the outside and let Hawk and whoever else gets the inside LB job (cut Walden immediately) we may have some sideline to sideline help that was missing so much of last season. You are not going to consistently win championships by blitzing safeties and OLBs constantly. That turnover ratio works so well until an underprepared team drops 8 passes and commits 4 turnovers. This is the NFL.

I saw here today at the reception...............a glass of wine in her hand.............you can't always get what you want........but if you try sometimes...........you may get what you need !! GO PACKERs. Run To Daylight.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down