Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NY Jets sign Michael Vick

+3
guppy
LRJets
~Sheila~
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

NY Jets sign Michael Vick - Page 3 Empty Re: NY Jets sign Michael Vick

Post by LRJets Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:53 pm

I'll say it again, because I'm not kidding.  Most overblown story in the history of the universe.  If all things being equal, and the only thing you changed was that it was the Jaguars instead of the Patriots who did it, maybe, maybe, it would have been discussed for one week at the most before being completely forgotten forever by the entire world.  

I saw the "Buttfumble" no less than 2 dozen times.  I'll laways maintain it was not Sanchez' fault.  Brandon Moore was pushed into the backfield and Mark either slipped or Moore knocked him over.  Were it not the "New York" Jets, it would have been on ESPN that week, and forever over, instead of an all-time blooper and a lifetime blemish for Sanchez.

If Tebow went to the Vikings instead of the "New York" Jets, experiment over, case closed.

Maybe, just maybe if Spygate was attempted by the Jaguars or Raiders, it would have been a "lame attempt by a lame team", instead of by those "hated" Patriots and Belichick.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:55 pm

LRJets wrote:
I'll say it again, because I'm not kidding.  Most overblown story in the history of the universe.  If all things being equal, and the only thing you changed was that it was the Jaguars instead of the Patriots who did it, maybe, maybe, it would have been discussed for one week at the most before being completely forgotten forever by the entire world.  

I saw the "Buttfumble" no less than 2 dozen times.  I'll laways maintain it was not Sanchez' fault.  Brandon Moore was pushed into the backfield and Mark either slipped or Moore knocked him over.  Were it not the "New York" Jets, it would have been on ESPN that week, and forever over, instead of an all-time blooper and a lifetime blemish for Sanchez.

If Tebow went to the Vikings instead of the "New York" Jets, experiment over, case closed.

Maybe, just maybe if Spygate was attempted by the Jaguars or Raiders, it would have been a "lame attempt by a lame team", instead of by those "hated" Patriots and Belichick.

Fair points for sure.

Brandon Moore was pushed into the backfield as you say.  It happened in about a second and a half.  We've definitely seen worse/funnier bloopers on NFL Network.  Butt, you're right.  Being that it was the Jets, it now goes down in history as an all-timer.  

Pushing Moore back was done by the guy that wants to get paid his full contract, but who the team wants him to re-structure, Big Vince.  We may lose him cause he wants no part of restructuring.  But the marketplace for a 380 lb. run stuffer who is 32 years old coming off an achilles rupture may not be what he thinks it is.  I can't call this one.  My feeling is flip a coin as to whether he's back or not.  50-50.  I don't know what I'd do if I were the GM.  Hey, maybe that's why I'm not the GM.   

When I look at what all these other guys are getting paid, and then I look at Revis getting $12 Million, I really think they made a rare exception for Revis to pay him that kind of scratch.  They don't usually value one guy that highly.  Either they think he's HOF material, and worth it, or he's just a brilliant businessman who knows how to get the most money year after year, and he took the Pats for a bit of a ride.  Right now the Pats have no leverage over him, he has all the leverage in terms of the future.  But the Pats are risking "only" $12 Mil for 1 year.  No long term damage if it doesn't work out.  They will have a $5M cap hit next year even if he bolts.  That's not too bad.   But Revis is risking the fact that he'll be good enough for 1 year that he will be able cash in again in 2015.   His choice.  George didn't think $750,000 per game was good work, but damn, that's a lot of money.  But I guess that's what private islands go for these days.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Fair points for sure.

We can agree that's it's not as much the act, as the one who committed it. Laughing 
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:56 am

LRJets wrote:Fair points for sure.

We can agree that's it's not as much the act, as the one who committed it. Laughing 

You just summed it up quite well.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:00 am

I'll say it again, because I'm not kidding.  Most overblown story in the history of the universe.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:08 am

But Revis is risking the fact that he'll be good enough for 1 year that he will be able cash in again in 2015.   His choice.  George didn't think $750,000 per game was good work, but damn, that's a lot of money.

If this were a good deal from the players standpoint guys would be jumping to sign franchise tenders. They don't. I guess he looks at it as getting an additional 12mil on top of the big deal he'll get next year, but it's a huge gamble. A career ending injury this season will cost him probably 20mil. And it's not like he thinks it will never happen to him. He's seen it can.
He's always been a different kind of guy though.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:42 am

George1963 wrote:But Revis is risking the fact that he'll be good enough for 1 year that he will be able cash in again in 2015.   His choice.  George didn't think $750,000 per game was good work, but damn, that's a lot of money.

If this were a good deal from the players standpoint guys would be jumping to sign franchise tenders. They don't. I guess he looks at it as getting an additional 12mil on top of the big deal he'll get next year, but it's a huge gamble. A career ending injury this season will cost him probably 20mil. And it's not like he thinks it will never happen to him. He's seen it can.
He's always been a different kind of guy though.

I agree.  It is a huge gamble by him.  He's gambling on himself, that he will be seen as elite, and that he won't get injured.  But as I said above, "his choice".  From the team's perspective, it does represent a departure from the way they usually do things.  They like to have leverage over the player (like they do right now with Wilfork).  But with this Revis deal, they have none.  They must think he's one guy who is worth it to give that up - at least for one year.  I do think other guys in that locker room will look at his paycheck vs. their paychecks and feel that something's "unfair".  That's just human nature.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:44 am

George1963 wrote:
I'll say it again, because I'm not kidding.  Most overblown story in the history of the universe.

I like that.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:59 am

I do think other guys in that locker room will look at his paycheck vs. their paychecks and feel that something's "unfair".  That's just human nature. 

If they think things through, they'll know he's on another island by himself.  An island of an uncharted football fuutre laden with risks.
As mentioned,if he's hurt........ no security, no guarantees.  He's putting all his chips on one number, 24.

He could have gotten a nice, healthy, multi-year contract with a typical 30-40-% in guaranteed monies from the Jets two years ago.  He would never even have gone to Tampa.
What's wrong with say $75 million over  5 or even 6 years?  With a guarantee of say 30-35 MM?
His great grancdchildren would be set if their names weren't Alan Iverson.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:13 pm

LRJets wrote:
His great grancdchildren would be set if their names weren't Alan Iverson.

or Mike Tyson.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:16 pm

~Sheila~ wrote:
NY JETS1 wrote:
~Sheila~ wrote:Thank you!   Very Happy 

Vick is a terrible move, imo.   I am hoping that maybe Geno can learn a thing or two from him. 

I wonder though how Eric Decker feels?

Wow, I didn't know about this, thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong, I think what Vick did in the past is beyond low. People that mistreat animals are the lowest of the low. If it were up to me I'd double or triple what the jail time is for such a crime. From what I understand Vick has shown remorse and has been working with the Humane Society, that might ease any potential fued with Decker.

You're welcome.   Smile
Yes he did his time that the court ordered, so he's given another chance to prove he's learned his lesson and be a better person.  I just feel it will be awkward between Vick and Decker, but that's just my opinion. 
Vick is a little older and fragile, but they do have the young Geno, so hopefully he'll be able to guide Geno and this pick all works out for the team. 
The off season is still young. The Jets still need a talented WR and CB. I would like to see another RB too. So far I like all of the NYG off season moves especially signing Jerry and Jennings. 
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:19 pm

LRJets wrote:
I wasn't driving in '69, but around '79 I want to say prices were about .75 a gallon?
I believe also it was the late 70's that you could only get gas on even and odd days, according to ones license plate?

It was in '74.  Rumor had it there were two gas tankers off the coast of Maryland holding a gazillion gallons of gas back from the consuming public only adding to the demand of a dwindling supply.

Wow...I wouldn't doubt this to be true!  Geez!  After all, it took just a couple of emails to create havoc on the George Washington bridge for four days!  @@
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:23 pm

George1963 wrote:
~Sheila~ wrote:
LRJets wrote:How much did gas cost in 1969?

The average cose of gasoline per gallon in the United States in 1969 was approximately thirty-five cents. Since then there has been a dramatic rise in oil and gas consumption.

SOURCE:ask.COM

Actually, I remember a station in Brooklyn on Pennsylvania and Flatlands Avenues, a Getty Station, that was selling gas for 32 & 9/10 a gallon.

I wasn't driving in '69, but around '79 I want to say prices were about .75 a gallon?

I remember in '79 five bucks would get you a six pack of Tuborg Gold, admission to the drive-in and gas for the trip.
Date night.
Of course an after school job paid like $25 a week so it's all relative.

Yes, it is all relative, but it was great being a teen and throwing $5 in the tank and it lasted driving around all night. 
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:25 pm

NY JETS1 wrote:
~Sheila~ wrote:
Thank you!   Very Happy 

Vick is a terrible move, imo.   I am hoping that maybe Geno can learn a thing or two from him. 

I wonder though how Eric Decker feels?

Wow, I didn't know about this, thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong, I think what Vick did in the past is beyond low. People that mistreat animals are the lowest of the low. If it were up to me I'd double or triple what the jail time is for such a crime. From what I understand Vick has shown remorse and has been working with the Humane Society, that might ease any potential fued with Decker.

You're welcome.   Smile
Yes he did his time that the court ordered, so he's given another chance to prove he's learned his lesson and be a better person.  I just feel it will be awkward between Vick and Decker, but that's just my opinion. 
Vick is a little older and fragile, but they do have the young Geno, so hopefully he'll be able to guide Geno and this pick all works out for the team. 
The off season is still young. The Jets still need a talented WR and CB. I would like to see another RB too. So far I like all of the NYG off season moves especially signing Jerry and Jennings. 

True and yes yes yes!  So hoping and praying for a better season for the Giants. 
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:18 pm

~Sheila~ wrote:
George1963 wrote:
~Sheila~ wrote:

The average cose of gasoline per gallon in the United States in 1969 was approximately thirty-five cents. Since then there has been a dramatic rise in oil and gas consumption.

Actually, I remember a station in Brooklyn on Pennsylvania and Flatlands Avenues, a Getty Station, that was selling gas for 32 & 9/10 a gallon.

I remember in '79 five bucks would get you a six pack of Tuborg Gold, admission to the drive-in and gas for the trip.
Date night.

Yes, it is all relative, but it was great being a teen and throwing $5 in the tank and it lasted driving around all night. 
lol! Yep! Back in the early 80's $10 would move the needle from 3/4 empty to Full. 
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:44 am

NY JETS1 wrote:
~Sheila~ wrote:
George1963 wrote:
~Sheila~ wrote:

Date night.

lol! Yep! Back in the early 80's $10 would move the needle from 3/4 empty to Full. 

Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever see those days again.
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:26 pm

~Sheila~ wrote:
NY JETS1 wrote:
~Sheila~ wrote:
George1963 wrote:
~Sheila~ wrote:

Date night.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever see those days again.
Especially since neither the gas money nor the car was mine. lol I can still hear my Dad say, don't let the gas get too low. Gas up the car, don't worry I will give you the money.  Smile 
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3