Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Vick

2 posters

Go down

Michael Vick Empty Michael Vick

Post by wassejet Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:05 am

It's been reported for over a month now that the Jets may have an interest in signing Michael Vick. For Vick's part, he has stated that he only wants to move to a team where he can start. 

I am mixed. Putting aside his past indiscretions which in my mind are behind him, he would give the Jets offense almost instant credibility. Adding a top receiver in the draft as the Jets seemed poised to do, would make the Jets a formidible team when you throw in the fine defense they already have. Add to that Vick's familiarity with Mornhinweg and it makes some sense.

On the other hand, this move will do nothing to solve the Jets long term QB issues. With Smith back on the bench, a whole year in which Smith hopefully learned a few things and was hoping to build on them, will be by the board. Vick has not played an entire season for any of the five he has been in Philly (wow, has it been that long?), so it may be a moot point anyway. 

I'm not sold on Smith, so if the Jets brought in Vick and drafted another promising QB in the mid to late rounds of the draft such as Zach Mettenberger, Logan Thomas, or Jeff Mathews (all big guys with big arms), I could live with that. Sanchez, for his own good, needs to find a new home.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Michael Vick Empty Re: Michael Vick

Post by rdariusxxxx Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:48 pm

I wouldn't want Vick for anything more than a backup. His career comp. % is 56.2. He's only ever completed more than 60% of his passes once in his career. He's injury prone, and he's going to be 34 in June.

The only thing he really has over Smith that I can see, is experience. I'd rather go forward with Gino, give him some people to throw to, and see what it is exactly that we have.

IMHO
rdariusxxxx
rdariusxxxx

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:34 pm

rdariusxxxx wrote:I wouldn't want Vick for anything more than a backup. His career comp. % is 56.2. He's only ever completed more than 60% of his passes once in his career. He's injury prone, and he's going to be 34 in June.

The only thing he really has over Smith that I can see, is experience. I'd rather go forward with Gino, give him some people to throw to, and see what it is exactly that we have.

IMHO
I hear you and agree somewhat. However, here's the problem the way I see it. The Jets displayed a pretty darn good defense last season. A defense that good should be able to propel a team into the playoffs and beyond. However, the offense was so bad that even a very good defense couldn't compensate. If the Jets had even a mediocre offense it would take a lot of pressure off the defense. It's always better when a defense plays against an opponent that has to catch up. Michael Vick (along with a few FA's and good draft picks) could give the Jets an offense that would put some points on the board to give the defense a chance to excel. With Geno Smith, he may be good enough next year, and then again he may not. We just don't know. By the time Smith gets good, the Jets may not have such a formidible defense due to free agency or injury. The problem with the Jets right now is that they are completely out of sync. They have a good defense and a horrible offense. In order for the Jets to make some noise, they need to have both sides of the ball playing decent football. I'm not saying Vick will put up Manning or Brady numbers, but he is a proven offensive talent when healthy and can help the Jets win now. They can bring Smith along more patiently and maybe draft a few sleeper QB's in the later rounds for when Vick can't play anymore.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by rdariusxxxx Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:03 pm

wassejet wrote:
rdariusxxxx wrote:I wouldn't want Vick for anything more than a backup. His career comp. % is 56.2. He's only ever completed more than 60% of his passes once in his career. He's injury prone, and he's going to be 34 in June.

IMHO
I hear you and agree somewhat. However, here's the problem the way I see it. The Jets displayed a pretty darn good defense last season. A defense that good should be able to propel a team into the playoffs and beyond. However, the offense was so bad that even a very good defense couldn't compensate. If the Jets had even a mediocre offense it would take a lot of pressure off the defense. It's always better when a defense plays against an opponent that has to catch up. Michael Vick (along with a few FA's and good draft picks) could give the Jets an offense that would put some points on the board to give the defense a chance to excel. With Geno Smith, he may be good enough next year, and then again he may not. We just don't know. By the time Smith gets good, the Jets may not have such a formidible defense due to free agency or injury. The problem with the Jets right now is that they are completely out of sync. They have a good defense and a horrible offense. In order for the Jets to make some noise, they need to have both sides of the ball playing decent football. I'm not saying Vick will put up Manning or Brady numbers, but he is a proven offensive talent when healthy and can help the Jets win now. They can bring Smith along more patiently and maybe draft a few sleeper QB's in the later rounds for when Vick can't play anymore.

I know what you're saying. And that's part of our problem. LOL  Because either way, it could be good or it could be bad. I personally don't see Vick being able to stay healthy. And while I wouldn't expect him to be Manning or Brady, simply because he was never that type of QB anyway, I just don't see a 56.2% completion percentage as being significantly better than Smith that he would make a better starter. Smith did indeed go through rookie mistakes last year, but he does seem to have the physical tools, and one thing he didn't have was anything close to a decent set of receivers.

I won't pout if they sign him. I would understand why they would. I even think he might be a good mentor for someone like Smith. I just don't think he should be our starter. JMO of course.

I can't seem to get my color right.  LOL
rdariusxxxx
rdariusxxxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down