Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NY Jets sign Michael Vick

+3
guppy
LRJets
~Sheila~
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

NY Jets sign Michael Vick - Page 2 Empty Re: NY Jets sign Michael Vick

Post by LRJets Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:20 pm

guppy wrote:
George1963 wrote:

Gas was $1.80 a gallon the last time the Patriots won a Super Bowl.
Fun fact.

Actually, the last time the Patriots won the Superbowl, the week of Feb. 2005, gas was $1.91 a gallon.

The last time the Colts won the Superbowl, the week of Feb. 2007, gas was $2.19 a gallon - a whopping increase of 28 cents from two years earlier. 

I, and millions of other Americans as well, sure wish gas was still $2.19 a gallon like it was the last time the Colts won the Superbowl.

Another Fun Fact:

The word "dynasty" has never been spoken in the same sentence as the word "Colts". 
 cheers 

Maybe that's because everybody knows:  When Colts finally grow up, they become Broncos.   Very Happy 

I'll put an end to this.  When the Jets won their Super Bowl, gas was probably .59  a gallon!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:10 pm

LRJets wrote:
guppy wrote:
George1963 wrote:

Fun fact.

Actually, the last time the Patriots won the Superbowl, the week of Feb. 2005, gas was $1.91 a gallon.

The last time the Colts won the Superbowl, the week of Feb. 2007, gas was $2.19 a gallon - a whopping increase of 28 cents from two years earlier. 

I, and millions of other Americans as well, sure wish gas was still $2.19 a gallon like it was the last time the Colts won the Superbowl.

Another Fun Fact:

The word "dynasty" has never been spoken in the same sentence as the word "Colts". 
 cheers 

Maybe that's because everybody knows:  When Colts finally grow up, they become Broncos.   Very Happy 

I'll put an end to this.  When the Jets won their Super Bowl, gas was probably .59  a gallon!!!

Welp yep, that pretty much sums that up!
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:00 am

LRJets wrote:

There ya go.  

Aint it funny how a thread that started and was primarily about the Jets, Michael Vick, and Mark Sanchez, and current events involving them, gets turned so quickly into one about Bill Belichick and "cheating"?  Amazing.  

In other news, the Pats were just awarded a 4th round compensatory draft pick by the league.  Now I'll give you George's reaction to that.  "Blah, blah, blah, something, something, the league favors the Patriots, Goodell is in Kraft's pocket, Bill Belichick cheated."  

Did I get that about right? 
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:07 am

Kymmie wrote:

LOL! Good people? Surely you can't be talking about the red head! She has two boyfriends, a husband, trolls children and uses icons of herself half naked. That's not good people. That's a tramp that has no respect for her own husband, her children, her friends or their children. Good people.... Now that's funny! :::carry on::: I personally don't GAS.  lol!

What is all this nonsense about?

Never mind.  I don't want to know.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:13 am

George1963 wrote:
You do that Gup. When you're done, I'll explain what the word "cheating" means.

You do that.  And I'll point out to you that your team "cheats" every time one of your linemen holds.  Holding is against the rules, but they do it anyway.  They are guilty of "cheating".
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:51 am

guppy wrote:
George1963 wrote:

You do that.  And I'll point out to you that your team "cheats" every time one of your linemen holds.  Holding is against the rules, but they do it anyway.  They are guilty of "cheating".

If the Colts linemen were the only ones in the league ever to have been caught doing it, it still wouldn't be the same thing.
Why don't you do what most rational Pats I know have done? Acknowledge that the Patriots were cheating while they were winning Super Bowls and that it more than likely helped them.
Then say, so what? They're not taking the trophies back.
That's what 99% of the football world outside of Rt 128, and a good portion inside, thinks and despite all the nonsense you come up with, those are the facts.
It is what it is.
You're kid's a pot head and you'll feel better once you admit it.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:24 am

George1963 wrote:
guppy wrote:
George1963 wrote:

If the Colts linemen were the only ones in the league ever to have been caught doing it, it still wouldn't be the same thing.
Why don't you do what most rational Pats I know have done? Acknowledge that the Patriots were cheating while they were winning Super Bowls and that it more than likely helped them.
Then say, so what? They're not taking the trophies back.
That's what 99% of the football world outside of Rt 128, and a good portion inside, thinks and despite all the nonsense you come up with, those are the facts.
It is what it is.
You're kid's a pot head and you'll feel better once you admit it.

They broke a rule.   An arbitrary rule.  A certain method of scouting was arbitrarily decided to be forbidden.  Lots of others were doing it.  So the league sent a memo reminding all not to do it.  BB, arrogant S.O.B. that he is, flouted that memo.  They did it out in the open.  During games.  From the sideline.  Wearing an orange flourecent vest so all could see him.  They did it for possible use in future game.  They didn't break anyone's doors down.  They didn't trespass on to anyone's property.  They did not film anyone's practice.  Jets HC Herm Edwards actually thought it was cute, so he made a mockery of it by waving into the camera and smiling and laughing.  Not a big deal to Herm.  Herm was not threatened by it in the least.  A very inconsequential thing as far as Herm was concerned.  Herm was probably smart enough to change signals from game to game.  That's good coaching.  That's part of sports.  

But, bottom line, it was wrong.  Commish said so.  A penalty had to be paid.  A penalty was paid. 

Then the Patriots continued to play football games absent that old scouting method.

They continued to play these games, sans video camera for years and years. 

Guess what?

They won MORE games than they did before during the time of the cameraman's employment. 

They didn't drop off the face of the earth.

They didn't even drop off from being a member of the elite of the league. 

They won.

And continued to win.

A lot.

You want to talk "rational"?  Why don't you drop the part of your statement where you say "it more than likely helped them".

On a scale of 1-100 BB said the help it gave them was "1".    That's "1" out of "100".

Based on the team's success that continued without it, I'd say that is about right.

Made little to no difference.

That's what's "rational". 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:47 am

You want to talk "rational"?  Why don't you drop the part of your statement where you say "it more than likely helped them".

On a scale of 1-100 BB said the help it gave them was "1".

So BB admits it helped them, but you can't. Got it.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:52 am

Lots of others were doing it.

I missed this.

Who?
Who was doing what the Patriots were doing from 2000 to 2007?

(This qualifies as "the nonsense you come up with  ".)
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:06 am

They won MORE games than they did before during the time of the cameraman's employment.

And as I've pointed out before and you always ignore, that's exclusively due to an unGodly improvement in their home record.

They're actually worse on the road. 31 teams in the league you'd say, "That's weird." The Patriots you say something else.
Do me a favor next season. Point out to me the first time the play clock goes out or the QBs radio dies at Gillette when the Patriots have the ball.
It'll be the first time ever.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:41 pm

George1963 wrote:Lots of others were doing it.

I missed this.

Who?

I won't name Gup, but the Rags-Fern standard reply was that not only did Jimmy (Weasel) Johnson and Bill Cowher pooh-pooh  it  according to the aforementioned Patriots duo, but  JJ did it in Dallas.  I was never aware of same.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:45 pm

~Sheila~ wrote:Thank you!   Very Happy 

Vick is a terrible move, imo.   I am hoping that maybe Geno can learn a thing or two from him. 

I wonder though how Eric Decker feels?

Wow, I didn't know about this, thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong, I think what Vick did in the past is beyond low. People that mistreat animals are the lowest of the low. If it were up to me I'd double or triple what the jail time is for such a crime. From what I understand Vick has shown remorse and has been working with the Humane Society, that might ease any potential fued with Decker.
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:09 pm

George1963 wrote:You want to talk "rational"?  Why don't you drop the part of your statement where you say "it more than likely helped them".

On a scale of 1-100 BB said the help it gave them was "1".

So BB admits it helped them, but you can't. Got it.

No, you missed it.....again.  Re-read my post.  I said "Little to no help".   "Little" is not nothing. "Little" is not zero.  Little is like, I dunno, 1 out of 100.  

Its scouting during a game from across the other side of the field for chrissakes.   Big frickin deal. 

You were supposed to use a notepad, not a camera.  Bill didn't pay close attention to that.  So they paid the price for his malfeasance.  If that draft pick wasn't taken away from them, Jordy Nelson would have been catching passes from Tom Brady instead of Aaron Rodgers.  But he' not.  That's life.  The team had to make due without that draft pick. They've done OK.  They've survived.  The loss of the draft pick hurt, but they were still able to put a team out on the field every week. 

Most overblown "story" in the history of the universe.  

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:13 pm

I missed this.

Who?

You calling Bill Cowher, Dick Vermeil, Jimmy Johnson "nonsense"?

Bill Cowher:

Dick Vermeil:

"I don’t know if everyone was doing it, but everyone might’ve had a method of trying to do it,” Vermeil told 98.5 FM. “Maybe he did it better than everyone else. OK? And I’ll tell you this: In all honesty, I’ve coached as a head coach 15 years and an assistant four years, I know some things that have been done in the National Football League and I could document them, if I wanted to, that are far worse than that ever came close to being.“

Jimmy Johnson:

JJ: Oh please. I’ve said it on our show. Eighteen years ago a scout for the Chiefs told me what they did, and he said what you need to do is just take your camera and you go and zoom in on the signal caller and that way you can sync it up. The problem is that if they’re not on the press box side you can’t do it from the press box, you have to do it from the sideline. This was 18 years ago.

Q: Did you ever steal signals?

JJ: Oh in a heartbeat, yeah. Yes I did.

Q: Via video, Jimmy? Or no?

JJ: Oh yeah, I did it with video and so did a lot of other teams in the league. Just to make sure that you could study it and take your time, because you’re going to play the other team the second time around. But a lot of coaches did it, this was commonplace.

Q: But did you do it by taping the signal caller?

JJ: Yeah.

Q: Oh you did.

JJ: That’s what I’m saying. I was saying one of Marty Schottenheimer’s scouts, Mark Hatley, who has passed away now, Mark told me that’s how they did it, and Howard Mudd their offensive line coach with Kansas City, who now coaches for Tony Dungy, he was the best in the entire league at stealing signals.

Q: Where’d you put your guy who was videotaping? Where was he?

JJ: My guy was up with my camera crew in the press box. So you’d just put an extra camera up with your camera crew in the press box who zoomed in on the signal callers. That’s the best way to do it, but anyway you can’t always do that because the press box camera crew might be on the same side as the opposing team. If they’re on the same side as the opposing team that’s when you need to do it from the sideline.

Eric Mangini:

“If there is a decision I could take back it’s easily that decision,” Mangini said. “Never in a million years would I have wanted it to go this way. It’s disappointing whenever it comes up.”

Give it up George.  It was mainly harmless scouting.  Never used in-game, otherwise someone in the half time locker room would have blown the whistle on that by now.  If it helped, it was miniscule.  Winning % without it proves that.  Others did it, in one form or another.  If others weren't doing it, why did the Commish feel the need to send a reminder memo around the league?   Answer me that?   He just didn't send the reminder memo only to the Patriots, you know.  Its obvious that the reminder memo was necessary in the first place because others were doing it.  Just be thankful that BB is the kind of guy to keep things private rather than exposing all the shit I'm sure he knows.   

So many many nails have been driven into the spygate coffin that its deader than dead.  

So much oxygen, ink, and gigabites wasted on this topic of little import or relevance.

Last edited by guppy on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:37 pm

LRJets wrote:

I missed this.

Who?

I won't name Gup, but the Rags-Fern standard reply was that not only did Jimmy (Weasel) Johnson and Bill Cowher pooh-pooh  it  according to the aforementioned Patriots duo, but  JJ did it in Dallas.  I was never aware of same.

LR, I think you miss F-Bombah, Rags, Fern and Morm (Don't you miss "Priceless"?)  As a Pats fan, I probably don't do them justice all by my lonesome.  But you'll just have to settle for me now. 

I know George especially misses his buddy Frank.  I think Frank moved to Foxsports.com.
  Very Happy  

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:48 pm

George1963 wrote:They won MORE games than they did before during the time of the cameraman's employment.

And as I've pointed out before and you always ignore, that's exclusively due to an unGodly improvement in their home record.

They're actually worse on the road. 31 teams in the league you'd say, "That's weird." The Patriots you say something else.
Do me a favor next season. Point out to me the first time the play clock goes out or the QBs radio dies at Gillette when the Patriots have the ball.
It'll be the first time ever.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by rdariusxxxx Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:06 pm

LRJets wrote:
guppy wrote:
George1963 wrote:

Fun fact.

Another Fun Fact:

cheers 

When the Jets won the Super Bowl gas was .25 a gallon, except for Getty, which was .30 because they only sold premium.
rdariusxxxx
rdariusxxxx

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:33 am

guppy wrote:

LR, I think you miss F-Bombah, Rags, Fern and Morm (Don't you miss "Priceless"?)  As a Pats fan, I probably don't do them justice all by my lonesome.  But you'll just have to settle for me now. 

I know George especially misses his buddy Frank.  I think Frank moved to Foxsports.com.
  Very Happy  
As a Jets fan, sometimes you'd feel like choking Rags, other times, he'd answer with an "admitted truth" in the Jets favor.  He was always grateful to Namath for helping to bring the merger.  Fern had a good grip of the game, (albeit leaning a bit 'north' ) Smile 

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:43 am

How much did gas cost in 1969?

The average cose of gasoline per gallon in the United States in 1969 was approximately thirty-five cents. Since then there has been a dramatic rise in oil and gas consumption.

SOURCE:ask.COM

Actually, I remember a station in Brooklyn on Pennsylvania and Flatlands Avenues, a Getty Station, that was selling gas for 32 & 9/10 a gallon.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:27 am

guppy wrote:

I missed this.

Who?

You calling Bill Cowher, Dick Vermeil, Jimmy Johnson "nonsense"?

Bill Cowher:

Dick Vermeil:

"I don’t know if everyone was doing it, but everyone might’ve had a method of trying to do it,” Vermeil told 98.5 FM. “Maybe he did it better than everyone else. OK? And I’ll tell you this: In all honesty, I’ve coached as a head coach 15 years and an assistant four years, I know some things that have been done in the National Football League and I could document them, if I wanted to, that are far worse than that ever came close to being.“

Jimmy Johnson:

JJ: Oh please. I’ve said it on our show. Eighteen years ago a scout for the Chiefs told me what they did, and he said what you need to do is just take your camera and you go and zoom in on the signal caller and that way you can sync it up. The problem is that if they’re not on the press box side you can’t do it from the press box, you have to do it from the sideline. This was 18 years ago.

Q: Did you ever steal signals?

JJ: Oh in a heartbeat, yeah. Yes I did.

Q: Via video, Jimmy? Or no?

JJ: Oh yeah, I did it with video and so did a lot of other teams in the league. Just to make sure that you could study it and take your time, because you’re going to play the other team the second time around. But a lot of coaches did it, this was commonplace.

Q: But did you do it by taping the signal caller?

JJ: Yeah.

Q: Oh you did.

JJ: That’s what I’m saying. I was saying one of Marty Schottenheimer’s scouts, Mark Hatley, who has passed away now, Mark told me that’s how they did it, and Howard Mudd their offensive line coach with Kansas City, who now coaches for Tony Dungy, he was the best in the entire league at stealing signals.

Q: Where’d you put your guy who was videotaping? Where was he?

JJ: My guy was up with my camera crew in the press box. So you’d just put an extra camera up with your camera crew in the press box who zoomed in on the signal callers. That’s the best way to do it, but anyway you can’t always do that because the press box camera crew might be on the same side as the opposing team. If they’re on the same side as the opposing team that’s when you need to do it from the sideline.

Eric Mangini:

“If there is a decision I could take back it’s easily that decision,” Mangini said. “Never in a million years would I have wanted it to go this way. It’s disappointing whenever it comes up.”

Give it up George.  It was mainly harmless scouting.  Never used in-game, otherwise someone in the half time locker room would have blown the whistle on that by now.  If it helped, it was miniscule.  Winning % without it proves that.  Others did it, in one form or another.  If others weren't doing it, why did the Commish feel the need to send a reminder memo around the league?   Answer me that?   He just didn't send the reminder memo only to the Patriots, you know.  Its obvious that the reminder memo was necessary in the first place because others were doing it.  Just be thankful that BB is the kind of guy to keep things private rather than exposing all the shit I'm sure he knows.   

So many many nails have been driven into the spygate coffin that its deader than dead.  

So much oxygen, ink, and gigabites wasted on this topic of little import or relevance.

Cowher doesn't say anything about using a video camera, neither does Vermiel, and what JJ says about cameras is the exact opposite of what he said in 1998.
In fact, the only thing that even comes close to what the Pats were doing was when a guy named Steve Scarnecchia (sound familiar?) taped a 49ers walkthrough in 2010 when he was with the Broncos working for
Josh McDaniels (how about him?).
The difference is Scarnecchia was supposedly acting on his own and Elway reported it to the league a week later as soon as he heard of it.
Other than that, no. everybody wasn't doing it.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:58 am

NY JETS1 wrote:
~Sheila~ wrote:Thank you!   Very Happy 

Vick is a terrible move, imo.   I am hoping that maybe Geno can learn a thing or two from him. 

I wonder though how Eric Decker feels?

Wow, I didn't know about this, thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong, I think what Vick did in the past is beyond low. People that mistreat animals are the lowest of the low. If it were up to me I'd double or triple what the jail time is for such a crime. From what I understand Vick has shown remorse and has been working with the Humane Society, that might ease any potential fued with Decker.

You're welcome.   Smile
Yes he did his time that the court ordered, so he's given another chance to prove he's learned his lesson and be a better person.  I just feel it will be awkward between Vick and Decker, but that's just my opinion. 
Vick is a little older and fragile, but they do have the young Geno, so hopefully he'll be able to guide Geno and this pick all works out for the team. 
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:06 pm

LRJets wrote:How much did gas cost in 1969?

The average cose of gasoline per gallon in the United States in 1969 was approximately thirty-five cents. Since then there has been a dramatic rise in oil and gas consumption.

Actually, I remember a station in Brooklyn on Pennsylvania and Flatlands Avenues, a Getty Station, that was selling gas for 32 & 9/10 a gallon.

I wasn't driving in '69, but around '79 I want to say prices were about .75 a gallon?
I believe also it was the late 70's that you could only get gas on even and odd days, according to ones license plate?
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:58 pm

I wasn't driving in '69, but around '79 I want to say prices were about .75 a gallon?
I believe also it was the late 70's that you could only get gas on even and odd days, according to ones license plate?

It was in '74.  Rumor had it there were two gas tankers off the coast of Maryland holding a gazillion gallons of gas back from the consuming public only adding to the demand of a dwindling supply.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:19 pm

~Sheila~ wrote:
LRJets wrote:How much did gas cost in 1969?

I remember in '79 five bucks would get you a six pack of Tuborg Gold, admission to the drive-in and gas for the trip.
Date night.
Of course an after school job paid like $25 a week so it's all relative.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:35 pm

George1963 wrote:

Cowher doesn't say anything about using a video camera, neither does Vermiel, and what JJ says about cameras is the exact opposite of what he said in 1998.
In fact, the only thing that even comes close to what the Pats were doing was when a guy named Steve Scarnecchia (sound familiar?) taped a 49ers walkthrough in 2010 when he was with the Broncos working for
Josh McDaniels (how about him?).
The difference is Scarnecchia was supposedly acting on his own and Elway reported it to the league a week later as soon as he heard of it.
Other than that, no. everybody wasn't doing it.

Ya, they were, in one form or another.  Same idea at work.  Widespread practice.  You just don't like what these leaders in the profession have said on the subject, so you conjure up your best spin job because you so want it to be that way instead of the way they tell it.  You can't stand that these coaches, who are BB's peers, brush it off as no big deal.... just like Herm Edwards did when he waved into the camera and smiled, an indication that he obviously didn't give a shit about it.

What all this shows is this:  The world is divided into two types of people.

No, I'm not referring to those that can dunk a basketball, and those that can't; however, that is a major division by the way.

The two categories that I refer to are those that think recording-method-gate is a big deal, and those that don't.

The thing is, by taking a closer look at those two population groups one thing becomes strikingly clear.  The reality is that the members of the group that don't think it is a big deal are mainly those people who are themselves part of the game of professional football (players and coaches) and who really know the ins and outs of the game better than the rest of us because it is their profession.  In contrast to these knowledgeable professionals, the demographics of the group that thinks this dumb issue is a big deal are 99.9% of frustrated fans of opposing teams, in other words, people who are not in the game itself, and who do something else for a living, and clearly don't have the same level of understanding or know the game as well as those professionals who do make their living in the game, and they want to blame their disappointment on some far fetched conspiracy theory, and they need to do that to make themselves feel better. 

I'll say it again, because I'm not kidding.  Most overblown story in the history of the universe.  If all things being equal, and the only thing you changed was that it was the Jaguars instead of the Patriots who did it, maybe, maybe, it would have been discussed for one week at the most before being completely forgotten forever by the entire world. 
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next