Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

INSIGHTFUL QUESTION

3 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

INSIGHTFUL QUESTION Empty INSIGHTFUL QUESTION

Post by LRJets Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:03 pm

I can't take credit for this question as I heard one of the hosts on Mad Dog Radio pose it.

If  anyone on the Pats committed the mortal sin Welker was alleged to have done, would BB  have reacted the same as he did the next a.m.?

Gup...now do Rags, Morm,  Fern, and Frank  proud by your response.

(Factor out the bias BB has against Welker)  Thank you.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

INSIGHTFUL QUESTION Empty Re: INSIGHTFUL QUESTION

Post by guppy Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:18 pm

LRJets wrote:I can't take credit for this question as I heard one of the hosts on Mad Dog Radio pose it.

If  anyone on the Pats committed the mortal sin Welker was alleged to have done, would BB  have reacted the same as he did the next a.m.?

Gup...now do Rags, Morm,  Fern, and Frank  proud by your response.

(Factor out the bias BB has against Welker)  Thank you.

Belichick:  "Ya, I saw the play.  It is what it is."
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:23 pm

As far as my opinion of this play is concerned, notwithstanding anyone else's opinion, including any veteran NFL head coaches, I would say this is not "one of the worst plays I've seen".  But as just a simple sports fan, what the hell do I know?  

The analysts on NFL network said the play probably deserved a flag for interference, but in no way was Welker trying to "take out" Talib.  That sounds about right to me.  I'll go with that.

Query:  When BB said WW was trying to "take out" Talib, did he mean "take him out" of that play, or "take him out" of the game entirely by injuring him?  What did he mean?  I don't know.  Whatever his intent was, because of how few words he uses, it is probably a guarantee that a majority of the public will misunderstand it. 

I'd love to see him be forced to take the witness stand and get cross examined which would force him to be more specific and explain his view more fully.  Of course, part of that cross examination would have to include the following question:  "Mr. Belichick, sir, is it or is not true that you hate Mr. Welker's guts?  Just a simple yes or no will do."  LOL.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I've  now watched this many times.  This is the only view I've seen of it.  Talib is trying to cover the receiver (Thomas), and he gets taken out by a different receiver (Welker), interfering with Talib's ability to cover Thomas.  Its a little more than just a simple "pick" or "rub" as they like to call these kinds of plays.  All teams run pick plays as far I know.   Maybe when BB called this play "the worst", what he meant was, it was one of the "worst" cases of interference by an offensive player taking out a defensive player who was covering a different receiver, that was not called

Maybe his meaning was that it was one of the "worst" "no calls" he's ever seen. 

Before you start laughing, it is possible.  Can you say with absolute certainty that's not what BB was saying?

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:00 pm

With only objectivity, a coach or a player probably says to themself when they reach the final four....."who knows if I will ever get here again"?   So much planning involved, since July, before that individual work outs, luck, injuries, etc. that anything could be tangential to their plans and dreams.
A day later is enough time for anyone to re-play any parts of the game to generate thoughts and conclusions rightly or wrongly.

My only possible answer is....who knows?

As a foot note, I never realized existing hostility between Welker and BB.
Offers were made, Welker decided against accepting-- and along came Elway.  If Kraft and BB are upset Welker didn't re-sign with NE, they only have Viniteri to look at and learn from.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:40 pm

LRJets wrote:
As a foot note, I never realized existing hostility between Welker and BB.

The hostility goes back further than the failed contract negotiations that ended with Welker leaving the Pats and signing in Denver for only $1M more per year than the Pats were offering.

Of course we never know the full story behind the hostility simply because Belichick says so little.  Maybe BB feels that he is the one who "made" Welker.  He took him from obscurity (otherwise known as the Miami Dolphins), brought him to NE and paired him with Tom Brady, and made him a household name recognized by millions of people that never had heard of him previously.  Maybe BB feels Welker owes him something for that.  Again, its just speculation on my part.  That's number one.  Number two, don't you remember before the playoff game against the Jets, Welker turned some interview into his own stand up comedy routine that drew headlines when he made all the foot reference jokes that was clearly aimed at Rex Ryan.  BB was so pissed off about that, and felt that Welker went completely off the reservation when Pats players are not supposed to do talking about an opponent before a game, except to praise that opponent, that he made Welker sit out the entire first quarter of a PLAYOFF game.  Rex Ryan was asked about it, and he said he felt like BB, as a fellow coach, was sticking up for him and more or less defending him and was pleased about it.  That had to humiliate Welker.  Then more recently, Welker was asked about something, I forget, but his response with a big smile was, "Its nice to stick it in Bill's face every once and awhile."  He said that as a Patriot.  How do you think that sat with Bill?  So there has been a whole bunch of things.  And these are only the things that we know about.

I think the above are some examples of why George characterized Wes Welker as "a mouthy punk".  But of course, that was when Welker wore a Pats uniform.  I'm not sure if George still thinks Welker is a "mouthy punk" now that he is one of Peyton Manning's favorite targets.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:45 pm

The part of Belichick's statement where he said Welker is making "no attempt to get open" is certainly true.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:29 pm

NFL confirms Wes Welker’s hit on Aqib Talib was legal
NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino has confirmed that Welker’s hit — which knocked Talib out of the AFC Championship Game — was legal.
“Under the current rules, this is a legal play,

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:36 am

Maybe when BB called this play "the worst", what he meant was, it was one of the "worst" cases of interference by an offensive player taking out a defensive player who was covering a different receiver, that was not called

Before you start laughing, it is possible.  Can you say with absolute certainty that's not what BB was saying?

Yes.

George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:32 am

George1963 wrote:
  Maybe when BB called this play "the worst", what he meant was, it was one of the "worst" cases of interference by an offensive player taking out a defensive player who was covering a different receiver, that was not called

Yes.

Alright.  Well, at least you have to give me some props for creativity.

I would have thought on this one you'd be backing the coach, not the player, seeing as how you think "the receiver" is a "mouthy punk" (or at least you thought that at one time).

Only a "punk"-type player would intentionally try to take out another player, so I couldn't see you taking his side.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:38 am

Talib is a Free Agent.  The experiment of bringing him in has worked (except for unavoidable injuries).  They must re-sign him.  You don't find guys with that level of ability on every street corner.

Hey, get it?  You  don't find such a corner on every corner.   Very Happy
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:40 am

For old times sake Very Happy 

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:10 am

LRJets wrote:For old times sake Very Happy 

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:12 am

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:17 am

Dmounts wrote:NFL confirms Wes Welker’s hit on Aqib Talib was legal
NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino has confirmed that Welker’s hit — which knocked Talib out of the AFC Championship Game — was legal.
“Under the current rules, this is a legal play,

A frustrated Seahawks cornerback Thurmond has a different opinion.  Says he's "getting ready" for Welker. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:53 am

guppy wrote:
George1963 wrote:

Yes.

Alright.  Well, at least you have to give me some props for creativity.

I would have thought on this one you'd be backing the coach, not the player, seeing as how you think "the receiver" is a "mouthy punk" (or at least you thought that at one time).

He still is , and I've said so here.

Only a "punk"-type player would intentionally try to take out another player, so I couldn't see you taking his side.

He didn't intentionally try to take out a player. Not as BB meant it. And I can say with 
absolute certainty that he meant he was trying to take him out of the game, not the play. Which is BS and Belichick knows that better than anybody.

I've been trying to figure out why he'd say something so idiotic and hypocritical and coming up empty, but this guy has as good an explanation as any;

Less than 24 hours after having seen his defense and his game plan systematically destroyed by the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship Game, Belichick avoided explaining much about what had gone wrong by opening his remarks with a false accusation that Wes Welker made “a deliberate play to take out Aqib (Talib).”
It was a brilliantly deceitful statement that changed the narrative from “Why can’t you rebuild your defense?” to whether or not his former player purposely tried to injure an ex-teammate. Belichick understood it didn’t matter that what he said was not only asinine but also a lie, nor did it matter that it made him appear petty and classless, because after a loss what’s new about that?
What it did was put the media focus on something that didn’t happen rather than all the things that did, one of which being that Welker went on to the Super Bowl while Belichick’s handpicked and overpaid replacement for him, Danny Amendola, dropped the only pass thrown to him Sunday and then disappeared like too many of his teammates.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:53 am

George1963 wrote:

He didn't intentionally try to take out a player. Not as BB meant it. And I can say with 
absolute certainty that he meant he was trying to take him out of the game, not the play. Which is BS and Belichick knows that better than anybody.

I've been trying to figure out why he'd say something so idiotic and hypocritical and coming up empty, but this guy has as good an explanation as any;

Less than 24 hours after having seen his defense and his game plan systematically destroyed by the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship Game, Belichick avoided explaining much about what had gone wrong by opening his remarks with a false accusation that Wes Welker made “a deliberate play to take out Aqib (Talib).”
It was a brilliantly deceitful statement that changed the narrative from “Why can’t you rebuild your defense?” to whether or not his former player purposely tried to injure an ex-teammate. Belichick understood it didn’t matter that what he said was not only asinine but also a lie, nor did it matter that it made him appear petty and classless, because after a loss what’s new about that?
What it did was put the media focus on something that didn’t happen rather than all the things that did, one of which being that Welker went on to the Super Bowl while Belichick’s handpicked and overpaid replacement for him, Danny Amendola, dropped the only pass thrown to him Sunday and then disappeared like too many of his teammates.

I did read Ron Borges' column.  You know he's been a Belichick critic since the first day Belichick got here, right?  Drew Bledsoe was his binky and source of information for most of his columns.  When Belichick chose Brady over Bledsoe, it infuriated Borges, who since that time has never missed an opportunity to slam the coach.  Its known thing around here. 

I agree with you what he did was idiotic.  The NFL said the hit was "legal" because Demaryius Thomas touched the ball "simultaneously" with Welker's hit on Talib.  So BB is the loser here, no doubt about it.  Even a poll on ESPN Boston in which the majority of responses came from Pats fans, found that the majority of people responding did not feel the same way about the play as he did.  Same with most of the Boston media, not just Borges.  So what BB did here is a real head scratcher.  For whatever reason, he took a shot, and it only came back to blow up in his face.   

So, as I see it this year, BB is 1-1, or .500, with the league as far as reviewing plays after he made a post game remark about a particular call or no call.   The league supported his statement after the Jets game on the pushing the lineman penalty on a FG try.  BB said the Jets did the same thing earlier in the game.   After review post game, the league said he was right, and the penalty should have been called on the Jets, just like it was called on the Pats.  But now, with this rebuke by the league on the Welker play, he loses. 

That makes him 1-1.  .500.  And its his own fault because there was no reason to do it, other than, I guess, his disdain for the player.  And the reason for his disdain for this player?  Who the f#@k knows? 

.500 is not very good.  Not very good at all.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:38 am

Welker by far is no choir boy,but it's mostly by his mouth.

Didn't he say something obviously publicly about something "Jets"?   Ryan, feet, something regarding the circus which I know no longer exists due to the firings, hiring of Idzik,and Ryan finally getting  a bit humble.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:01 pm

LRJets wrote:Welker by far is no choir boy,but it's mostly by his mouth.

Didn't he say something obviously publicly about something "Jets"?   Ryan, feet, something regarding the circus which I know no longer exists due to the firings, hiring of Idzik,and Ryan finally getting  a bit humble.

I don't know that he said such things as you reference.  But the things that he did say surely got Bill's boxers in a bunch.  Talking shit is not "The Patriot Way", but Wes no doubt felt stifled and that he couldn't "be himself", so he bolted for greener pastures. 

Bottom line is, Wes is in the Superbowl, and Bill is not.   Crying or Very sad 

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:49 pm

For new times sake.   Very Happy 

Since the "S" word appears above, below is a Pittsburgh sports radio interview with Bill Cowher prior to Championship Sunday.  I invite you to read and listen.   study 

I hope I'm not being too "Ragsian".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:25 pm

You're really not too Ragsian.  Rags even had his moments of overly fair.  He always admired the Jets for the merger.  That neverslipped by him even during his
most combative moments.
He did have his anti-Goodell,NFL  issues.  Any fan can.
I hope he's ok.  He enjoyed the  banter, the back-and-forth, and most of all football.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:03 pm

LRJets wrote:You're really not too Ragsian.  Rags even had his moments of overly fair.  He always admired the Jets for the merger.  That neverslipped by him even during his
most combative moments.
He did have his anti-Goodell,NFL  issues.  Any fan can.
I hope he's ok.  He enjoyed the  banter, the back-and-forth, and most of all football.

But did you listen to Cowher?  After listening to him on Pittsburgh sports radio talk about Belichick and the real irrelevance in terms of gaining any tactical advantage by pointing a camera on an opposing sideline coach during a game (he called it "arrogance", nothing more) it made me think "WWTAMS"? 
(What Would Task And Mummy Say?)  Smile 

Cowher was basically telling the Steeler fanbase the same thing I've been saying all along -- that while BB was guilty of, at the most, arrogance for ignoring a rule and a league memo reminder about that rule (and he paid dearly for that arrogance), the practice of recording what some sideline coach was doing right out in plain view of tens of thousands of people anyway, provided no appreciable advantage that had anything to do with any outcomes of Pats-Steelers contests.  In the end, said Cowher, winning or losing comes down to execution by players, not video recordings of some sideline coach waving his hands or holding fingers in the air that took place in the past during some previous game between the two teams. 

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:09 am

Cowher was basically telling the Steeler fanbase the same thing I've been saying all along -- that while BB was guilty of, at the most, arrogance for ignoring a rule and a league memo reminder about that rule (and he paid dearly for that arrogance), the practice of recording what some sideline coach was doing right out in plain view of tens of thousands of people anyway, provided no appreciable advantage that had anything to do with any outcomes of Pats-Steelers contests.  In the end, said Cowher, winning or losing comes down to execution by players, not video recordings of some sideline coach waving his hands or holding fingers in the air that took place in the past during some previous game between the two teams.

That's neat. And players on his team have said it seemed like the Patriots knew what defense they were in, the coach of the team the Pats beat the week before compared Belichick to Barry Bonds, and players on the team they beat two weeks later said every time they had a blitz on the Patriots were magically running a screen.

By the way, if you're keeping track last weeks AFCCG puts the Pats at 2-6 since 2007 in playoff games against teams they'd already played that season.
They were 7-2* in such games from 2001-06.

*One of the losses was against the Colts, who had banned cameras on the floor of the RCA dome.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:13 am

that while BB was guilty of, at the most, arrogance for ignoring a rule and a league memo reminder about that rule (and he paid dearly for that arrogance), the practice of recording what some sideline coach was doing right out in plain view of tens of thousands of people anyway, provided no appreciable advantage that had anything to do with any outcomes of Pats-Steelers contests.  In the end, said Cowher, winning or losing comes down to execution by players, not video recordings of some sideline coach waving his hands or holding fingers in the air that took place in the past during some previous game between the two teams. wrote:
A memo is either a directive, an imparting of information, a reminder, ......anything for the betterment of an entity.  Ignoring a rule set in a memo is for the most part insubordination of your duties.   I guess Patriot fans will ALWAYS have a different interpretation of realism regarding Spygate.   Down to its most basic form, BB and the Partriots were fined  $750K for  as you  would call  arrogance.  Were it not wrong, there wouldn't be a fine that was paid dearly.  Rags always used the"two wrongs make a right defense" when he'd say that Jimmy Johnson did the same thing.  Jimmy Johnson.  Ha!   Another bastion of  NFL society.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:44 am

George1963 wrote:

By the way, if you're keeping track last weeks AFCCG puts the Pats at 2-6 since 2007 in playoff games against teams they'd already played that season.
They were 7-2* in such games from 2001-06.

Um, you ever think that different talent level on the roster might have something to do with that?  The Pats defense barely forced Denver to punt.  I'm pretty sure the defenses from 2001-06 with McGuinist, Vrabel, Bruschi, et al, might have been able to mange that.

Last edited by guppy on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:47 am

Can't stand what Cowher said can ya? 

Neat.

guppy