Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serious Question

+6
~Sheila~
throttleplate
duck
JnC4GB
MB20
CatalinaMinx
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Serious Question Empty Serious Question

Post by CatalinaMinx Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:31 pm

I'd like to know if anyone here finds the name, Washington Redskins, offensive. Just curious is all. 
CatalinaMinx
CatalinaMinx
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Serious Question Empty Re: Serious Question

Post by MB20 Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm not a Native American, so no.

What I don't understand is this has been that team's name for decades. Why is this such a big deal NOW? Why wasn't it a deal when the team was good and had a high profile from appearing in multiple Super Bowls? Wouldn't that have been the ideal time to raise the issue?

It's also been such a long, long time since that term was considered derogatory. My understanding is that an overwhelming number of tribes don't consider the term offensive.

But hey- the cause gives Peter King and Mike Florio a reason to hop aboard their high horses...

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by CatalinaMinx Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

MB20 wrote:I'm not a Native American, so no.

What I don't understand is this has been that team's name for decades. Why is this such a big deal NOW? Why wasn't it a deal when the team was good and had a high profile from appearing in multiple Super Bowls? Wouldn't that have been the ideal time to raise the issue?

It's also been such a long, long time since that term was considered derogatory. My understanding is that an overwhelming number of tribes don't consider the term offensive.

But hey- the cause gives Peter King and Mike Florio a reason to hop aboard their high horses...
There's someone over on the Patriots board who thinks its extremely offensive and I was just curious as to how you all felt about it. If he wasn't such a pompous jackass regarding most other topics I probably wouldn't care so much. It was my understanding most tribes were not offended by the name also. 
CatalinaMinx
CatalinaMinx
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:51 pm

Measuring  how each person feels about it is irrelevant to the FACT that "Redskin" is a racial slur.

Fucking PERIOD.

As to MB's rationale that the nickname has been around for a long time and why change it now? Well, there are countless examples of things that used to be okay but are now decidedly not okay. An obvious example would be workplace behavior and all the things that used to be okay but are now legally considered sexual harassment.

Things don't stay the same; they evolve as we get older and wiser. Isn't that right Joe Camel?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:03 pm

CatalinaMinx wrote:I'd like to know if anyone here finds the name, Washington Redskins, offensive. Just curious is all. 

Well, we covered this a while back.  As I said before, my take is that it's all a matter of presentation and perspective.  I personally do not have any issue with the term "redskins" as no disrespect seems to be intended.  The logo is dignified, most Indians are fine with it (some even welcome the attention) and other ethnic groups such as Scandinavians have no quarrel with similar team names.

However, I always thought the Cleveland Indian logo crossed the line.  Check out this interesting graphic.

duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by CatalinaMinx Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:08 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Measuring  how each person feels about it is irrelevant to the FACT that "Redskin" is a racial slur.

Fucking PERIOD.

As to MB's rationale that the nickname has been around for a long time and why change it now? Well, there are countless examples of things that used to be okay but are now decidedly not okay. An obvious example would be workplace behavior and all the things that used to be okay but are now legally considered sexual harassment.

Things don't stay the same; they evolve as we get older and wiser. Isn't that right Joe Camel?

The history behind that team choosing that name is actually quite understandable and doesn't appear racially motivated at all. 
CatalinaMinx
CatalinaMinx
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:47 pm

again...you get a bunch of fucking bleeding heart libs trying to impose their will and make business decisions for those in the private sector who have, you know, ponied up the dime and taken the risk to, you know, actually enjoy the right to make that call...

Bottom line:  Danny boy is a little prick.  So what?  He owns the enterprise and can therefore pretty much name it anything he pleases.  That's the way it works...  You pay the piper--then you call the tune.

This is still America.  The home of Capitalism.  The market decides these things.  People pay with their penny.  If there were so many people who cared enough about the name to stop supporting the team with their $$...then he'd change it.  People, for the most part, don't care...so why should he?

Danny boy's only mistake was writing the letter and introducing legitimacy into the debate.  It has only served to fuel and embolden these assholes with nothing better to do...  He should have stopped with:  We will NEVER change the name--and you can print that in all CAPS...  Like I said--he's a punk...

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:54 pm

fuck the name thing,lets get the fuckin govt to get a budget already,i hear people stormed the the Vietnam wall today in dc.This is just so fucked beyond rational thinking that shutting parks and cutting off war benefits to survivors,our country is no better off than the 3rd world Philippines govt.
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:56 pm

throttleplate wrote:fuck the name thing,lets get the fuckin govt to get a budget already,i hear people stormed the the Vietnam wall today in dc.This is just so fucked beyond rational thinking that shutting parks and cutting off war benefits to survivors,our country is no better off than the 3rd world Philippines govt.

I agree.  We're supposedly the most powerful nation in the world and our gov't shuts down?!! 
It's beyond ridiculous and embarrassing to say the least.
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:47 pm

~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:40 pm

CatalinaMinx wrote:I'd like to know if anyone here finds the name, Washington Redskins, offensive. Just curious is all. 
Not at all. This like so many other "controversies" is simply yet more ridiculousness. Another attempt at another politically-correct guilt trip fueled by yet more whiny, self-righteous, self-important jackoffs with obviously nothing better to do with their lives and who need to make themselves feel like they are accomplishing something of merit by simply satisfying their own guilt and personal need to feel important. While I'll take the actions of these jackoffs over those of the completely worthless jackoffs in D.C. starting in the Oval Office who are supposed to be running the country but are merely doing much the same thing as the other jackoffs while screwing up the country and millions of previously very livable lives in the process, it doesn't make any of the jackoffs any less ridiculous. If I owned the Redskins, I wouldn't change the name in a million years for anything less than enough fans/supporters of the team, who provide the moolah to the team, demanded that I do. Otherwise, I hope Snyder never does. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:43 pm

By the way, Catalina, if you're lookin' to get some guys heated up on Halloween, just offer up the dish I'm lookin' at now. Mmmm, That's what I call "Man Candy". Cool  

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:46 pm

throttleplate wrote:fuck the name thing,lets get the fuckin govt to get a budget already,i hear people stormed the the Vietnam wall today in dc.This is just so fucked beyond rational thinking that shutting parks and cutting off war benefits to survivors,our country is no better off than the 3rd world Philippines govt.
An utterly despicable administration continues to sink to new lows, as the nation and hard-working people continue to suffer increasingly worse by the decisions and the policies of said administration. With this shutdown they are deliberately trying to inflict as much pain and trying to hurt as many Americans as they possibly can, even shutting down things that shouldn't be for any reason, and other things that don't even need to be. All for nothing more than the political points they hope to gain. Nothing else matters to them. Chicago politics 101.

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:39 pm

I feel like I'm wrapped up in a warm, soft blanket being given a neck massage by Kate Upton right about now.

Cool
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:43 pm

JnC4GB wrote:I feel like I'm wrapped up in a warm, soft blanket being given a neck massage by Kate Upton right about now.

Cool
No--wake up, Man...  That's Scruffy--your dog with it's face buried in your lap and tail up in your face...and, uh--yeah--that's an open container of skippy peanut butter, too, isn't it?    Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:00 am

_HD_ wrote:
JnC4GB wrote:I feel like I'm wrapped up in a warm, soft blanket being given a neck massage by Kate Upton right about now.

Cool
No--wake up, Man...  That's Scruffy--your dog with it's face buried in your lap and tail up in your face...and, uh--yeah--that's an open container of skippy peanut butter, too, isn't it?    Laughing
You say that like it's a bad thing.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by CatalinaMinx Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:33 am

#1PackerBacker wrote:By the way, Catalina, if you're lookin' to get some guys heated up on Halloween, just offer up the dish I'm lookin' at now. Mmmm, That's what I call "Man Candy". Cool  
Why thank you, Mr. PackerBacker! I explored my devilish side last year for Halloween. Very Happy
CatalinaMinx
CatalinaMinx
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by CatalinaMinx Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:22 pm

#1PackerBacker wrote:
Not at all. This like so many other "controversies" is simply yet more ridiculousness. Another attempt at another politically-correct guilt trip fueled by yet more whiny, self-righteous, self-important jackoffs with obviously nothing better to do with their lives and who need to make themselves feel like they are accomplishing something of merit by simply satisfying their own guilt and personal need to feel important. While I'll take the actions of these jackoffs over those of the completely worthless jackoffs in D.C. starting in the Oval Office who are supposed to be running the country but are merely doing much the same thing as the other jackoffs while screwing up the country and millions of previously very livable lives in the process, it doesn't make any of the jackoffs any less ridiculous. If I owned the Redskins, I wouldn't change the name in a million years for anything less than enough fans/supporters of the team, who provide the moolah to the team, demanded that I do. Otherwise, I hope Snyder never does. 
I agree with you 100%. 
CatalinaMinx
CatalinaMinx
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:08 pm

#1PackerBacker wrote:
 I applaud you sir! You are sayin what I'm thinking![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://profootballworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:10 pm

To be honest... if I was a Redskin.... I'd be pissed as hell to be associated with the ass clowns in THAT city!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://profootballworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:18 pm

CatalinaMinx wrote:
#1PackerBacker wrote:By the way, Catalina, if you're lookin' to get some guys heated up on Halloween, just offer up the dish I'm lookin' at now. Mmmm, That's what I call "Man Candy". Cool  
Why thank you, Mr. PackerBacker! I explored my devilish side last year for Halloween. Very Happy
I'm bettin' there was a lucky guy who had quite a devilish time. Cool Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:21 pm

Admin wrote:
#1PackerBacker wrote:
 I applaud you sir! You are sayin what I'm thinking!
Thank you kindly. I'll go out on a limb and say I think that's what most people are thinking, despite what most in the media babble on about from their little PC bubbles, insulated from Real World U.S.A. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:25 pm

Admin wrote:
 To be honest... if I was a Redskin.... I'd be pissed as hell to be associated with the ass clowns in THAT city!
Amen to that. If only they were merely just ass clowns rather than some of the most corrupt, self-serving, irresponsible and incompetent trash to ever stink the place up.

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:02 am

#1PackerBacker wrote:
Admin wrote:
#1PackerBacker wrote:
 I applaud you sir! You are sayin what I'm thinking!
Thank you kindly. I'll go out on a limb and say I think that's what most people are thinking, despite what most in the media babble on about from their little PC bubbles, insulated from Real World U.S.A. 

Okay, Captain... you can stop the charade now.  We don't get too many Niner fans with your writing style and your political perspective on this board.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by CatalinaMinx Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:36 am

#1PackerBacker wrote:
CatalinaMinx wrote:
I'm bettin' there was a lucky guy who had quite a devilish time. Cool Smile 
Well, I was never one to kiss and tell.   Very Happy Wink
CatalinaMinx
CatalinaMinx
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next