Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Common sense

+2
LRJets
MB20
6 posters

Go down

Common sense Empty Common sense

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:16 pm

James Harrison says KC tragedy not a gun problem

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 5, 2012, 6:39 PM EST
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] AP
Steelers linebacker [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] has never been afraid to take an unpopular stand.

But the avid gun collector said Wednesday that the fault for last weekend’s murder-suicide in Kansas City was with Chiefs linebacker [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and not the gun he used to kill his girlfriend and then himself.

“It’s a big issue as far as what happened and everything, it’s a sad story,” Harrison told USA Today’s Jim Corbett. “But the fact of it being part of the guns. . . . They want to say it’s guns and all this other stuff. It’s ridiculous. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It has nothing to do with the guns.

“Somebody goes out and kills somebody with a knife, you going to blame the knife? Somebody goes out and kills somebody by pushing somebody in front of a train, you going to start cutting off the guy’s arms? You going to start blaming people’s arms now? It’s the person who did it who is responsible.”

Almost too simple, isn't it--common sense? The problem is when you have assholes like Bob Costas--who only think they have something to say because somebody planted them in front of a TV camera, spilling their diminutive wisdom upon society... I know--let's just get rid of all the people--then there wouldn't be any problems at all! Fucking idiot... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Common sense Empty Re: Common sense

Post by MB20 Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:00 pm

_HD_ wrote:James Harrison says KC tragedy not a gun problem

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 5, 2012, 6:39 PM EST
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] AP
Steelers linebacker [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] has never been afraid to take an unpopular stand.

But the avid gun collector said Wednesday that the fault for last weekend’s murder-suicide in Kansas City was with Chiefs linebacker [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and not the gun he used to kill his girlfriend and then himself.

“It’s a big issue as far as what happened and everything, it’s a sad story,” Harrison told USA Today’s Jim Corbett. “But the fact of it being part of the guns. . . . They want to say it’s guns and all this other stuff. It’s ridiculous. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It has nothing to do with the guns.

“Somebody goes out and kills somebody with a knife, you going to blame the knife? Somebody goes out and kills somebody by pushing somebody in front of a train, you going to start cutting off the guy’s arms? You going to start blaming people’s arms now? It’s the person who did it who is responsible.”

Almost too simple, isn't it--common sense? The problem is when you have assholes like Bob Costas--who only think they have something to say because somebody planted them in front of a TV camera, spilling their diminutive wisdom upon society... I know--let's just get rid of all the people--then there wouldn't be any problems at all! Fucking idiot... Rolling Eyes

My jaw dropped to the floor listening to that self-important blowhard the other night. How the fuck does one make the leap straight from "some fucked up football player killed his baby mama then killed himself" to "America has a gun control problem"? And use the halftime segment of a nationally broadcast game to stand on that nonsensical soapbox? Between Costas, Peter King, Dan Patrick, and Florio, that is one World Champion group of sanctimonious sacks of pus they have themselves there at NBC.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:39 am

Dear Bob Costas:

Just think, if that enraged football player didn't have a gun, his girl friend would still be alive today.
Sincerely,
Nicole Brown Simpson

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Jeezus...that's one lucky genetic reject to be alive... I know a home where the ServPro van would have pulled up first thing this morning to begin their clean-up...

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:39 pm

Oh yeah, Bob Costas was so out of line.

How dare someone how gets to speak directly to millions of American men feel compelled to speak about gun control.

The nerve.

JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:56 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Oh yeah, Bob Costas was so out of line.

How dare someone how gets to speak directly to millions of American men feel compelled to speak about gun control.

The nerve.

Jesus fucking Christ- even Costas himself admitted he made a mistake by using that forum for that purpose. That his reasoning was about as knee-jerk, half-assed, and as irresponsible as it gets is notwithstanding. It sounded like he had that screed written for years and was waiting for such a moment to fire it off.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:30 am

Well, HD and MB, maybe you guys are perfectly comfortable with the gun laws in our country, but I side with JnC -- and the majority of Americans. We need better gun control in this country. That doesn't mean we should take all the guns away and leave our population vulnerable to Nazi stormtroopers, yadda yadda yadda... whatever kind of crap the gun nuts spin. However, there is no legitimate need for certain types of guns and obviously stricter background checks would be a good thing. You want to talk common sense? That's common sense.

Shit, in Oakland someone gets his head blown off just about every day. Three times last year they confiscated guns from students at my daughter's high school. Guns, guns, guns. Just about every two bit punk in town owns one. It's madness.

Don't tell me "guns don't kill people, people kill people." That's complete utter nonsense.

Most Americans want stricter gun controls but the politicians are gutless and won't stand up to the NRA. Frankly, I'm amazed at how much power this wacko organization has.

However, I believe in the wake of this senseless tragedy in Connecticut we're finally going to see some serious reform.

duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:16 am

duck wrote:Well, HD and MB, maybe you guys are perfectly comfortable with the gun laws in our country,

Show me where I said that. That's right- you can't because I didn't.

My point was that Costas used a poor example of an incident using an inappropriate forum with which to espouse his opinions on gun control. I'm not saying that he didn't have a point. I'm saying that given the circumstances, his speech sounded pre-prepared, preachy, and screechy.

Now, if it was an athlete/former athlete who was the sick fuck who shot up that school in Connecticut, and Costas chose THAT as the launching point for his editorial, then, yeah- that's a different story.

But, IMO, it's not gun control laws (or lack thereof) that are the real problem, anyway. It's that our society creates so many malcontents who feel the need to "solve" their problems this way, and we have a piss-poor mental health infrastructure to help these people.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:33 am

obamas tears were fake,terrible acting job on that
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:16 pm

MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:Well, HD and MB, maybe you guys are perfectly comfortable with the gun laws in our country,

My point was that Costas used a poor example of an incident using an inappropriate forum with which to espouse his opinions on gun control. I'm not saying that he didn't have a point. I'm saying that given the circumstances, his speech sounded pre-prepared, preachy, and screechy.

Now, if it was an athlete/former athlete who was the sick fuck who shot up that school in Connecticut, and Costas chose THAT as the launching point for his editorial, then, yeah- that's a different story.

But, IMO, it's not gun control laws (or lack thereof) that are the real problem, anyway. It's that our society creates so many malcontents who feel the need to "solve" their problems this way, and we have a piss-poor mental health infrastructure to help these people.

Okay, I'll give you that halftime of a football game is not the proper time for any announcer to deliver essentially a political speech. However, I'm glad you acknowledged he had a point (without necessarily having to agree with all of it). I'm actually nauseated and a bit more emotionally affected by the Connecticut massacre than I thought I'd be, so forgive me if I came out with my gloves on.

I agree 100% that there are other contributing, perhaps even greater, problems in our society that lead to these disasters... but as far as the gun control laws in our society go, they are not working. Simply not working.

I'm not after your guns, if you have them, MB. Or HD's guns. I don't consider level headed gun owners like you to be a menace to society. However, when guns are all over Oakland's streets and any little punk who wants one can get one as easily as he would get a cheeseburger... something is not working, my friend.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:22 pm

duck wrote:
MB20 wrote:

Okay, I'll give you that halftime of a football game is not the proper time for any announcer to deliver essentially a political speech. However, I'm glad you acknowledged he had a point (without necessarily having to agree with all of it). I'm actually nauseated and a bit more emotionally affected by the Connecticut massacre than I thought I'd be, so forgive me if I came out with my gloves on.

I agree 100% that there are other contributing, perhaps even greater, problems in our society that lead to these disasters... but as far as the gun control laws in our society go, they are not working. Simply not working.

I'm not after your guns, if you have them, MB. Or HD's guns. I don't consider level headed gun owners like you to be a menace to society. However, when guns are all over Oakland's streets and any little punk who wants one can get one as easily as he would get a cheeseburger... something is not working, my friend.

I'm not a gun owner. Not saying I won't be at some point, but for now, no.

Here's the thing about Oakland's punks getting guns. They get drugs, right? Drugs are illegal, no? So, let's say for argument's sake that guns are made across-the-board illegal like drugs still are in most places. They'll find a way to get guns, anyway. Gun control laws aren't going to stop the truly determined from getting them, just like drug laws don't stop the truly determined from getting them. They might make it less convenient, they may make would-be criminals do much more heinous things to get their hands on weapons than they may have to now, but they'll still get 'em- except with even higher collateral damage to society. And they likely WILL make it much, much harder for law-abiding citizens to get one.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:47 pm

MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:
MB20 wrote:

I'm not a gun owner. Not saying I won't be at some point, but for now, no.

Here's the thing about Oakland's punks getting guns. They get drugs, right? Drugs are illegal, no? So, let's say for argument's sake that guns are made across-the-board illegal like drugs still are in most places. They'll find a way to get guns, anyway. Gun control laws aren't going to stop the truly determined from getting them, just like drug laws don't stop the truly determined from getting them. They might make it less convenient, they may make would-be criminals do much more heinous things to get their hands on weapons than they may have to now, but they'll still get 'em- except with even higher collateral damage to society. And they likely WILL make it much, much harder for law-abiding citizens to get one.

I understand that argument and you are correct, it won't completely solve the problem. Guns, like illegal drugs, are everywhere... and the bad guys will likely eventually find access to them.

However, I still believe there is a correlation between the overall supply of guns in a community and the crime rate. More guns, the greater the likelihood of more shootings. Fewer guns, fewer shootings. I know the gun nuts will argue that this logic doesn't hold and they will offer contrived statistics, but clearly, there are fewer shooting deaths in countries with stricter gun laws. Again, I'm not trying to completely eliminate guns from society because I know that's impossible, but if you can stop even 10 or 20% of the punks from getting guns, lives will be saved.

To me, it's all a matter of the incremental amount of lives saved.

And if stricter gun laws will prevent some punk kid from bringing a gun to my daughter's school, I will be particularly happy.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:16 pm

On a more simplistic level.........look what Plaxico did. Now tell the world our gun laws are correct.

Then someone makes a joke of it:

Amazing state of affairs.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:08 am

I didn't see or read Costas' comments so I can't judge if they were delivered well or not. I do know, however, that with NBC Sports he is the 800lb gorilla and can, obviously, do as he pleases.

I also think that getting your undies bunched over the holy sanctity of the Halftime segment being violated is weak sauce. Not to mention that I've seen MANY halftime segments switch to the news desk for one reason or another. Who gives a shit, really? Most don't even watch it.

As for gun control, I have no hope of ever seeing it dramatically enforced as it is in so many other countries. What I do hope, no, DEMAND, is making assault weapons that can pump a couple of hundred bullets into 20 six year old children in a 18-second span UNAVAILABLE at the local fucking Wal-Mart for any slack-jawed, pimple-faced retard who is mad at his mommy for throwing out his X-box.

I don't think that's asking too much. It's just way too easy. WAY too fucking easy.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:52 am

JnC4GB wrote:I didn't see or read Costas' comments so I can't judge if they were delivered well or not. I do know, however, that with NBC Sports he is the 800lb gorilla and can, obviously, do as he pleases.

I also think that getting your undies bunched over the holy sanctity of the Halftime segment being violated is weak sauce. Not to mention that I've seen MANY halftime segments switch to the news desk for one reason or another. Who gives a shit, really? Most don't even watch it.

As for gun control, I have no hope of ever seeing it dramatically enforced as it is in so many other countries. What I do hope, no, DEMAND, is making assault weapons that can pump a couple of hundred bullets into 20 six year old children in a 18-second span UNAVAILABLE at the local fucking Wal-Mart for any slack-jawed, pimple-faced retard who is mad at his mommy for throwing out his X-box.

I don't think that's asking too much. It's just way too easy. WAY too fucking easy.

Exactamundo, JnC. Just get rid of the assault weapons, and there will be meaningful progress.

It's fucking shameful that our politicians are so cowardly they won't stand up to this industry of death. If you think the tobacco lobby has clout, it's disgusting how many weasel politicians are in the pocket of these thug bastard manufacturers.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down