Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Holmgren have a brain tumor?

2 posters

Go down

Does Holmgren have a brain tumor? Empty Does Holmgren have a brain tumor?

Post by JnC4GB Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:20 am

First Holmgren gets the newspaper reporter fired from his job as the browns beat reporter over a twitter comment and now this?
What a tool.

Brad Childress close to landing job with BrownsPosted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 26, 2012, 10:11 PM EST
AP
The Browns had narrowed their search for an offensive coordinator down to two men: Mike Sherman and Brad Childress.

With Sherman expected to land in Miami, well, you can guess where this is going. Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports that Childress should be hired in the next few days.

Childress and Browns President Mike Holmgren are both represented by the same agent — Bob Lamonte. So is Sherman. And Browns coach Pat Shurmur. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that.)

Shurmur said he’d possibly be open to letting an offensive coordinator call plays, depending on the candidate. Shurmur called the plays and didn’t have a coordinator last year, which didn’t work out too well.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Does Holmgren have a brain tumor? Empty Does Holmgren have a brain tumor?

Post by duck Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:14 am

My position may generate a few chuckles around here, but I can understand why Holmgren (and others) would Sherman and Childress for various assistant coach positions. The key word here is "assistant". I think each of them have proven to be total busts as head coaches but I think think they have a reasonable amount of football knowledge and experience to fit in on some other coach's staff. It takes a special set of skills to be a head coach, including leadership, the ability to manage a game, and the people skills to motivate and/or discipline a group of violent high-testosterone young men. Both Sherman and Childress fail miserably in those regards. However, I could see each of them being reasonably competent in managing a specific aspect of the game.

This is also a reflection on the low overall pool of talent in the league. While the better organizations seem to discover and cultivate emerging talent, too often the weaker ones just rehire the same old hacks.

Sherman and Childress will probably make reasonably competent assistant coaches... but that's about it. There's no upside and their careers will never blossom.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down