Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

poor choice

4 posters

Go down

poor choice Empty poor choice

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:05 am

James Starks set to re-sign with Packers
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 17, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
[size=15.199999809265137][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/size]
[size=8.800000190734863]AP[/size]
[size][font]
[size=15.199999809265137]They keep the odd man out.  Stupid.  They can't keep Lacy, Starks Franklin, Harris and a FB.  Too many poster spots even if they do want to go 'tard and roll the dice like last season with only 8 O-lineman...  This mean Franklin (2nd rounder) or Harris (starting RB to enter season last year) is gone.[/size]

[size=15.199999809265137][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] the Pittsburgh Steelers this week. Instead, he’s decided he’s perfectly happy in the Midwest.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]According to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, Starks is set to re-sign with the Green Bay Packers on a two-year deal. While the deal is not yet completed, it is considered “[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]Starks was Green Bay’s second-leading rusher last season behind rookie [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Starks had 89 carries for 493 yards and three touchdowns for the Packers while Lacy was named to the Pro Bowl with 1,178 yards and 11 touchdowns.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]Starks elected to return to a crowded backfield in Green Bay. In addition to Lacy,[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] also remain on the roster. Franklin had 19 carries for 107 yards and a touchdown in his rookie season. Harris missed last season due to injury but proved an effective option in 2012 with 157 yards and two touchdowns in four games for the Packers.[/size]
[size=15.199999809265137]The Steelers, meanwhile, have been in search of help in their backfield. In addition to the scheduled visit with Starks, Pittsburgh has visits with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and LaRod Stevens-Howling set up this week.[/size][/font][/size]

Back to top Go down

poor choice Empty Re: poor choice

Post by JnC4GB Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:00 am

Lacy is the starter.
Starks is the back up.

Franklin and Harris battle it out for the change-of-pace/3rd-down back.

I don't see the problem (especially since at least one of these guys will likely get injured between late July to early September).
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:28 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Lacy is the starter.
Starks is the back up.

I don't see the problem (especially since at least one of these guys will likely get injured between late July to early September).

...because both Franklin and Harris have greater potential than does Starks...  Furthermore Starks is injury-prone and was signed at the expense of losing one of the other greater talent's...  I don't find that to be a good choice.

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:08 pm

But neither Franklin or Harris has the frame for every down between the tackles work. Should Lacy go down for any significant amount of time, you need to have a pounder to replace him. Starks has proven he can fill that role.

Franklin might turn into that guy -eventually. Harris is a bug and will never be an every-down ball carrier at this level.

I bet this will all sort itself out in the end.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:06 pm

_HD_ wrote:
JnC4GB wrote:Lacy is the starter.
Starks is the back up.

...because both Franklin and Harris have greater potential than does Starks...  Furthermore Starks is injury-prone and was signed at the expense of losing one of the other greater talent's...  I don't find that to be a good choice.

Maybe a good move for Starks. He almost got cut last August and if he gets cut this August he'll latch on some where. Actually, all our backs are injury prone. Lacy had a concussion for the one game that we really needed him in Cincy. But he sucked it up and played with that bad ankle. He's the only one who could handle the carries demanded by a running team over a season.

This is so true. It happens to us every year so no one really gets cut. If they are going to go down do it in preseason. If Ryan Grant had gotten hurt a week earlier in 2010 instead of in the opener in Philly TT may have gone after a RB somewhere instead of forcing Brandon Jackson to be Jim Taylor.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:43 pm

JnC4GB wrote:But neither Franklin or Harris has the frame for every down between the tackles work. Should Lacy go down for any significant amount of time, you need to have a pounder to replace him. Starks has proven he can fill that role.

Franklin might turn into that guy -eventually. Harris is a bug and will never be an every-down ball carrier at this level.

I bet this will all sort itself out in the end.

He has?  That's news to me.  I thought it's been pretty well established that Starks can NOT handle the pounding on a full-game weekly basis without becoming perpetually injured and is only viable as a fresh set of legs for limited carries throughout the game...

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Starks has NOT proven he can pound for even a half of season.   HD is correct.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 am

It really gets to be a drag that everything needs to be spelled out to the nth degree here.

Really, people.

NOT saying Starks could replace Lacy period, should Lacy get injured. Saying that Starks could replace Lacy for a spell, a period of time, a few game stretch, if needed.

Basically, Starks is what you want from your back up RB. Knows the offense. Can be effective. Not a fuck up. The playbook doesn't have to change if he's out there. Can convert in short-yardage situations. Has the confidence of his team mates and coaching staff.

Starks has all those things. It's why I (and obviously the Packers too) feel okay with him as the back up RB.

As for replacing Lacy, period, well, barring an injury occurring I think Starks would be okay. Due to his injury history, an increased workload on the other backs would probably be in order. 

As for your POV, that's what training camp is for. If he is inadequate or if the other backs are better then that's what will come out in the wash. But prior to that happening I'm glad to have him re-signed.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 pm

JnC4GB wrote:It really gets to be a drag that everything needs to be spelled out to the nth degree here.

Really, people.

NOT saying Starks could replace Lacy period, should Lacy get injured. Saying that Starks could replace Lacy for a spell, a period of time, a few game stretch, if needed.

Basically, Starks is what you want from your back up RB. Knows the offense. Can be effective. Not a fuck up. The playbook doesn't have to change if he's out there. Can convert in short-yardage situations. Has the confidence of his team mates and coaching staff.

Starks has all those things. It's why I (and obviously the Packers too) feel okay with him as the back up RB.

As for replacing Lacy, period, well, barring an injury occurring I think Starks would be okay. Due to his injury history, an increased workload on the other backs would probably be in order. 

As for your POV, that's what training camp is for. If he is inadequate or if the other backs are better then that's what will come out in the wash. But prior to that happening I'm glad to have him re-signed.

No shit about having to spell everything out.

I agree with you on Starks (who I don't believe has officially resigned yet). Our offense doesn't seem to miss a beat when he's out there and his more explosive style is a nice change from Lacy's pounding. The two of them together can wear a defense out.

I'd be okay with the younger guys too. Like you say, let it sort out in training camp.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:28 pm

duck wrote:
JnC4GB wrote:It really gets to be a drag that everything needs to be spelled out to the nth degree here.

Really, people.

No shit about having to spell everything out.

I agree with you on Starks (who I don't believe has officially resigned yet).  Our offense doesn't seem to miss a beat when he's out there and his more explosive style is a nice change from Lacy's pounding.  The two of them together can wear a defense out.

I'd be okay with the younger guys too.  Like you say, let it sort out in training camp.

That's all a bag o' big ol' dandy dicks--but the reality is, once you sign a guy to a two year deal and score him some up front scratch--that's not a guy you're rendering that decision a mistake on only 5 months later by cutting him.  If Starks is signed--that means Starks will be retained almost irrespective of what happens in training camp...

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:22 pm

I wonder if Franklin can carry a few more pounds and still be enduring. In the Cincy game he made that long run but on that 4th down at the end he hit a brick wall and fumbled. I just see him getting taken off in a stretcher after 3 quarters in the backfield.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:21 pm

With any luck Franklin has spent the offseason getting tougher, better shape, etc.   If not he could get cut like some of the other has beens (Fred Vinson for example).
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:49 pm

RingoCStarrQB wrote:With any luck Franklin has spent the offseason getting tougher, better shape, etc.   If not he could get cut like some of the other has beens (Fred Vinson for example).

Fred Vinson wasn't cut.  Wolf traded him to Seattle straight up for Ahman Green... Somebody still must need a travel pack of Tuck's medicated pads close at hand over that one...  Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:59 pm

_HD_ wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:With any luck Franklin has spent the offseason getting tougher, better shape, etc.   If not he could get cut like some of the other has beens (Fred Vinson for example).

Fred Vinson wasn't cut.  Wolf traded him to Seattle straight up for Ahman Green... Somebody still must need a travel pack of Tuck's medicated pads close at hand over that one...  Laughing

Cut, let go, traded before being of any EFFEN use on the field for the Packers.   OK..........I fully take full responsibility...........sigh!!  Antwan Edwards.......was that the guy then?   McKenzie made a nice impact for awhile.  

Early career[[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]
Edwards was selected in the first round of the 1999 NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers, the first of three consecutive defensive backs the Packers would take in that draft; the others being [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Edwards would play all sixteen games of his rookie season, starting one of them. During the course of the year, he made a total of thirty tackles (twenty-six solo), had four interceptions, and was named to the College & Pro Football Weekly All-Rookie team. The following season, he started three games but saw his tackle total go down to twenty-five, while defending nine passes and two interceptions. Edwards only played in three games in 2001 when he suffered a knee injury and was placed on injured reserve. In 2002, he started the season as the team's starting safety, but was replaced early on by rookie [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] following a forearm injury. He spent the rest of the season as a backup and totaled forty-four tackles.
Later career[[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]
He beat out Anderson for the starting job in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and started a career-high twelve games, and recorded 51 tackles. He would finish the season on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] following a late-season injury. He left the Packers at the end of the season to join the[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. He started eight games for the team and had 35 tackles when he was released from the team. He was claimed by the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], where he ended the season with five starts and 30 more tackles. Edwards then signed with the[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but was cut, and signed with the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. He started one game and had eleven tackles for the season, but was cut early on. He joined the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], but was released early in camp.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down