Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What IS the plan, anyway

5 posters

Go down

What IS the plan, anyway Empty What IS the plan, anyway

Post by MB20 Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 pm

I just spent 20 minutes working on another post only to have it eaten. Motherfucker.

Anyway, once again, we hit free agency with some areas of need (i.e., safety) that could have been addressed this way and we stand pat and watch guys go elsewhere. Not that I'm a big free agency fan, but this team has more holes than even a perfect draft could address. What is the plan here? Is there one?

I respect the philosophy that free agency should be approached with the utmost caution. However, I don't understand TT's absolute refusal to procure any talent whatsoever this way. I don't know where he learned this excessively rigid adherence to draft-and-develop. It sure as shit wasn't from Ron Wolf. It's just kind of frustrating to watch guys that you know could help this team go elsewhere for contracts that this team can easily afford. I don't think this strategy of roster building is smart. We've had a steadily declining team for 3 years now, even with the best QB in the sport in his prime. I think this warrants more than sliding Micah Hyde over to safety, kicking back, and calling the offseason a success.

I don't have to know or even understand what TT's grand plan is, if there is one. But, I'd like to have the sense that there IS one. I don't have the sense of anything except more of the same- hope the kids we drafted last year make a leap, shuffle some pieces around, and strap in. I don't think this is good enough, and I don't think TT has done a good enough job for the past 4 or so years. Maybe he plans to take one of these high-end safeties that should be available now that all the free agents have been snapped up (most importantly by the Bears). But I worry that our GM is fossilizing before our eyes.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

What IS the plan, anyway Empty Re: What IS the plan, anyway

Post by duck Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:04 am

MB20 wrote:I just spent 20 minutes working on another post only to have it eaten. Motherfucker.

Anyway, once again, we hit free agency with some areas of need (i.e., safety) that could have been addressed this way and we stand pat and watch guys go elsewhere. Not that I'm a big free agency fan, but this team has more holes than even a perfect draft could address. What is the plan here? Is there one?

I respect the philosophy that free agency should be approached with the utmost caution. However, I don't understand TT's absolute refusal to procure any talent whatsoever this way. I don't know where he learned this excessively rigid adherence to draft-and-develop. It sure as shit wasn't from Ron Wolf. It's just kind of frustrating to watch guys that you know could help this team go elsewhere for contracts that this team can easily afford. I don't think this strategy of roster building is smart. We've had a steadily declining team for 3 years now, even with the best QB in the sport in his prime. I think this warrants more than sliding Micah Hyde over to safety, kicking back, and calling the offseason a success.

I don't have to know or even understand what TT's grand plan is, if there is one. But, I'd like to have the sense that there IS one. I don't have the sense of anything except more of the same- hope the kids we drafted last year make a leap, shuffle some pieces around, and strap in. I don't think this is good enough, and I don't think TT has done a good enough job for the past 4 or so years. Maybe he plans to take one of these high-end safeties that should be available now that all the free agents have been snapped up (most importantly by the Bears). But I worry that our GM is fossilizing before our eyes.

I think you're glibly minimizing things here, MB. Do you really think Ted Thompson, who has been a successful NFL GM for almost two decades, is just fucking around with no vision or perspective?

Of course he has a blueprint... probably a better one than most other GMs since he's been able to stay on top of the curve for so many consecutive seasons.

The plan quite simply, as we all know, is draft and develop. This means that we can expect to bear fruit from the players we drafted 2-3 seasons ago, as they continue to develop within the system. (Prime example: Mike Neal who we all wrote off years ago as a total bust.)

Now I'm not a fan of TT's rigidity and I'd like to see him every once in a while spring for a free agent the way Wolf did... but the fact of the matter is that things are much different now than when Ronnie Boy was calling the shots. Teams didn't know how to deal with the salary cap and free agency back then, but they do now and it makes it tougher to find legitimate deals in free agency.

Last year was a bitch. We had an injury run even worse than in 2010. But that's life in the NFL. If any team gets hammered the way we did, they're toast. Getting to the playoffs at 8-7-1 was a minor miracle.

If the Packers can have a year in which they're at the positive end of the injury curve in the NFL, watch out. This team is loaded with young talent.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:20 am

MB20 wrote:I just spent 20 minutes working on another post only to have it eaten. Motherfucker.

Dump Internet Explorer...  It's worthless.

You hit the nail on the head.  He's transitioning into an old man.  The drive...the determination...the willingness to break free from the mold to snare opportunity--it's tiring to an old man...  No--we won't go through the Panama Canal and cut our distance from Point A to Point B in half...  We'll just continue going all the way around Cape Horn like we always have.  It's never failed us yet...  Pasture + albino = out to.      Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:32 am

duck wrote:

I think you're glibly minimizing things here, MB.  Do you really think Ted Thompson, who has been a successful NFL GM for almost two decades, is just fucking around with no vision or perspective?

Of course he has a blueprint... probably a better one than most other GMs since he's been able to stay on top of the curve for so many consecutive seasons.

The plan quite simply, as we all know, is draft and develop.  This means that we can expect to bear fruit from the players we drafted 2-3 seasons ago, as they continue to develop within the system.  (Prime example:  Mike Neal who we all wrote off years ago as a total bust.)  

Now I'm not a fan of TT's rigidity and I'd like to see him every once in a while spring for a free agent the way Wolf did... but the fact of the matter is that things are much different now than when Ronnie Boy was calling the shots.  Teams didn't know how to deal with the salary cap and free agency back then, but they do now and it makes it tougher to find legitimate deals in free agency.

Last year was a bitch.  We had an injury run even worse than in 2010.  But that's life in the NFL.  If any team gets hammered the way we did, they're toast.  Getting to the playoffs at 8-7-1 was a minor miracle.

If the Packers can have a year in which they're at the positive end of the injury curve in the NFL, watch out.  This team is loaded with young talent.
Maybe I am oversimplifying things. But from here, all it looks like to me is the same "strategy" that has gotten us declining results for 3 years in a row. I don't see any willingness whatsoever to take any risks. The Seahawks have it. The Broncos have it. The Niners have it. And at least in the Seahawks' case, they have a much softer bed of laurels on which to rest than we do.

Injuries-- it's partially attributable to bad luck, but it's more than that. It's been happening too frequently to be a mere statistical anomaly. Something fixable isn't right in that area. 

And by the way, you know Mike Neal is a free agent and may not even be back with the team?

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:37 am

_HD_ wrote:

You hit the nail on the head.  He's transitioning into an old man.  The drive...the determination...the willingness to break free from the mold to snare opportunity--it's tiring to an old man...  No--we won't go through the Panama Canal and cut our distance from Point A to Point B in half...  We'll just continue going all the way around Cape Horn like we always have.  It's never failed us yet...  Pasture + albino = out to.      Cool
Google Chrome, if you can believe it.

Like I said to Duck- all I see is more of the same. I just feel like the NFL is not just passing TT by, but it's lapping him at this point. I can't believe how complacent/risk-averse he's become since winning the Super Bowl. It really seems as if the only strategy is to ride Rodgers to the playoffs every year so he can say that he gets to the playoffs every year. And before long, not even that is going to work anymore.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:05 am

It is a series of checks and balances, gentlemen.

The Saints just had two huge free agent signings, but due to cap room issues they will have to lose current starters off their roster. Is having Byrd worth cutting Sproles loose? I dunno, but I do know the Saints Offense is a shit ton more formidable with Sproles as Brees' checkdown and 3rd-down receiver.

Who do the Packers let go so they can play the big swinging dick in free agency? 

Jordy?

Cobb?
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:08 am

MB20 wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

Like I said to Duck- all I see is more of the same. I just feel like the NFL is not just passing TT by, but it's lapping him at this point. I can't believe how complacent/risk-averse he's become since winning the Super Bowl. It really seems as if the only strategy is to ride Rodgers to the playoffs every year so he can say that he gets to the playoffs every year. And before long, not even that is going to work anymore.

You guys sure love to bitch but I know perfectly well that when we start predicting games and season records for the Packers, a different story will emerge.

At least Milani is consistent with his negativity and picks against the Packers most of the time.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:23 pm

duck wrote:
MB20 wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

You guys sure love to bitch but I know perfectly well that when we start predicting games and season records for the Packers, a different story will emerge.

At least Milani is consistent with his negativity and picks against the Packers most of the time.

Should be a wait until pre season ends before we can pick. This year we should have quite a new group of undrafted and drafted players on the field. I hope I can remember their names.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:28 pm

MB20 wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

I honestly think the whole Favre showdown burned a hole in the man.  He's pretty much said it himself--the only real juice he gets in the role is to pack his bag, put his baseball cap on and stopwatch around his neck--and hit the road to scout the campuses.  The rest of it he generally avoids because he isn't interested or equipped to handle it any more...

An unidentified GM was recently quoted as saying when asked about the Pack's personnel strategy--*oh--no...they really have no pro-personnel department there anymore.  It's draft or bust*   Think about it.  Schneider, Dorsey and McKenzie--all history...  That's a personnel brain drain, my friends...  And, with whom were they replaced?  Furthermore, while the albino is credited as the draft guru--to what extent were the Lieutenant's responsible?  Let's start with Dorsey...

[size=12.800000190734863]After his playing career ended, Dorsey chose to remain in football, taking a job as a college scout for the Packers in May 1991. He was later promoted to Director of College Scouting for the team in February 1997.[/size][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][size=12.800000190734863] In January of 1999, Dorsey followed former Packers coach [/size][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][size=12.800000190734863] to the [/size][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][size=12.800000190734863], assuming the role of the team's Director of Player Personnel.[/size][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][size=12.800000190734863] After just over a year in the Pacific Northwest, Dorsey resigned and returned to the Packers, taking over again as Director of College Scouting. He remained in that position through 2011, and winning a super bowl ring, when he was named Director of Football Operations for Green Bay.[/size][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][size=12.800000190734863] Dorsey is credited with making the Packers one of the best drafting teams in the NFL, helping choose star players like [/size][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][size=12.800000190734863][/size][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][size=12.800000190734863] and [/size][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][size=12.800000190734863].[/size][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Everywhere the guy goes--things start to shine, eh?

How about Schneider?  He goes from TT's right hand man to this as the Pack begins their decline:

The first three years of the Carroll/Schneider regime has impressed in Seattle. Schneider orchestrated a complete overhaul of Seattle's roster. In 2010, Schneider completed 284 roster transactions.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] On February 2, 2014, the Seahawks won Super Bowl XLVIII, their first championship in their existence. The championship roster contained only [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who had been a Seahawk previous to Schneider's arrival in Seattle. Schneider's philosophy focuses on improving his team through every possible avenue. Examples follow:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[size=15.199999809265137]High draft picks[size=12.800000190734863][[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]][/size][/size]
[th]Position[/th][th]Name[/th][th]Round[/th][th]Overall Pick[/th][th]Year[/th]
LT[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]First Round(No. 6 overall)2010
S[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]First Round(No. 14 overall)2010
WR[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Second Round(No. 60 overall)2010
LB[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Second Round(No. 47 overall)2012
QB[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Third Round(No. 75 overall)2012
[size=15.199999809265137]Low draft picks[size=12.800000190734863][[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]][/size][/size]
[th]Position[/th][th]Name[/th][th]Round[/th][th]Overall Pick[/th][th]Year[/th]
CB[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Fifth Round(No. 154 overall)2011
S[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Fifth Round(No. 133 overall)2010
LB[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Fourth Round(No. 99 overall)2011
RG[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Seventh Round(No. 225 overall)2012
[size=15.199999809265137]Minor free agent signings[size=12.800000190734863][[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]][/size][/size]
[th]Position[/th][th]Name[/th][th]Signed From[/th][th]Year[/th]
CB[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Signed after playing in Canada2011
RT[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Signed off Packers' Practice Squad2010
FB[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Signed after being released by the 49ers2010
RG[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Signed three months after being waived by the Cleveland Browns2011
[size=15.199999809265137]Major free agent signings[size=12.800000190734863][[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]][/size][/size]
[th]Position[/th][th]Name[/th][th]Contract Details[/th][th]Year[/th]
WR[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Signed a five-year, $41 million contract2011
TE[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Signed a five-year, $34 million contract2011
DE[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Signed a two-year, $13 million contract2013
DT[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Signed a one-year, $5 million contract2013
[size=15.199999809265137]Trades[size=12.800000190734863][[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]][/size][/size]
[th]Position[/th][th]Name[/th][th]Trade Details[/th][th]Year[/th]
RB[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Traded from Bills for a fourth-round pick in 2011 and a fifth-round pick in 20122010
DE[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Traded from Eagles with a 4th round pick for Darryl Tapp2010
WR[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Traded from Vikings for a first and seventh-round pick in 2013 and a third-round pick in 20142013
[size=19.200000762939453]Awards and honors[size=12.800000190734863][[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]][/size][/size]
While Schneider did not win NFL Executive of the Year for the 2012 season, he is highly regarded around the league for his work as the GM of the Seahawks. John came in 3rd in the award voting for the 2012 NFL Executive of the year.  Named NFL Executive of the Year in 2013.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 

Reggie McKenzie went from TT's pro-personnel man that regularly mined solid players off other roster's scrap heapsand FA's like Ryan Grant, Ryan Pickett, Jon Ryan, Charles Woodson etc., to so far a question mark in his new role...but the challenge he has taken on in a long-term dysfunctional organization like Oakland is tremendous... 

[size=16.799999237060547]Green Bay Packers Director of player personnel[size=12.800000190734863][[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]][/size][/size]
McKenzie was employed by the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] from 1994 to 2012. He began as a scout, and gradually rose through the ranks to become the Packers' director of player personnel and eventually the team's director of football operations, while reporting to general managers [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[size=16.799999237060547]Oakland Raiders General manager[size=12.800000190734863][[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]][/size][/size]
McKenzie was hired as general manager of the Oakland Raiders on January 5, 2012.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Longtime owner [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] had been general manager since 1966, and retained control over football operations after becoming principal owner in 1972. Both Wolf (who had worked in the Raiders front office prior to his Green Bay tenure) and former Raiders coach [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] recommended McKenzie to new owner [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], who hired McKenzie after an interview conducted jointly by Davis and Madden.
McKenzie promptly fired head coach [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and hired [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], who had previously served as the defensive coordinator of a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] squad that barely beat Oakland for a playoff spot. He brought in his twin brother Raleigh McKenzie to become a college scout for the Raiders. McKenzie's first priority was to shore up a porous defense which allowed 433 points (27.1 points/game), 29th among 32 teams.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Before the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], he signed four free agents to help the defense: outside linebacker [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and cornerbacks [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
McKenzie inherited a roster full of high-priced and underperforming players, with more than $154 million committed toward the $120.6 million salary cap.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Additionally, the Raiders had traded away most of their draft picks in the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] prior to his arrival, leaving McKenzie with his first pick at No. 95 overall with offensive lineman [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. The Raiders predictably struggled to a 4-12 record during his first season with the Raiders.
During the 2013 offseason, McKenzie released several starting players such as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in continuing the rebuilding process.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:22 pm

*  TT offers Jennings $13M/year prior to free agency opening.  Rejected by player.  Market dictates 
    $9.5M/year.

*  TT offers  Raji $8M/year prior to free agency opening.  Rejected by player.  Replaced with 1 year deal @
   $4M/year in free agency.  Player having difficulty in leveraging that slashed offer into anything better.

*  TT offers Shields $10M/year ($15M 1st year) prior to free agency.  Accepted by player.

See the pattern here?  Jennings and Raji were gracious enough to save the GM from his inadequacy in properly assessing the market.  Shields was astute enough to jump on it.  With Revis moving over to the Pats for $12M next season, I do believe that makes our boy Shields at $15M next season THE HIGHEST PAID CORNER IN THE ENTIRE FUCKING LEAGUE.  While this fucker should be leveraging a human-being's natural aversion to change and the overall quality of the organization in whippin' up a big ol' batch of home town discount--he's instead paying people like it's the Cleveland fucking Browns are something and no one would ever want to be there...

Good thing the albino never spread his seed...   Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by KBen Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:10 pm

_HD_ wrote:*  TT offers Jennings $13M/year prior to free agency opening.  Rejected by player.  Market dictates 
    $9.5M/year.

*  TT offers  Raji $8M/year prior to free agency opening.  Rejected by player.  Replaced with 1 year deal @
   $4M/year in free agency.  Player having difficulty in leveraging that slashed offer into anything better.

*  TT offers Shields $10M/year ($15M 1st year) prior to free agency.  Accepted by player.

See the pattern here?  Jennings and Raji were gracious enough to save the GM from his inadequacy in properly assessing the market.  Shields was astute enough to jump on it.  With Revis moving over to the Pats for $12M next season, I do believe that makes our boy Shields at $15M next season THE HIGHEST PAID CORNER IN THE ENTIRE FUCKING LEAGUE.  While this fucker should be leveraging a human-being's natural aversion to change and the overall quality of the organization in whippin' up a big ol' batch of home town discount--he's instead paying people like it's the Cleveland fucking Browns are something and no one would ever want to be there...

Shields is 15th in cap hits for CB's so it aint bad at all.
You can step back from the podium now Mr.Circa 1800's Fire & Brimstone Preacher-man   Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
KBen
KBen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:48 pm

KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:*  TT offers Jennings $13M/year prior to free agency opening.  Rejected by player.  Market dictates 
    $9.5M/year.

You can step back from the podium now Mr.Circa 1800's Fire & Brimstone Preacher-man   Wink

For the first year...then what Goldilocks?    Laughing

See--the problem is this:  The contract is absolutely front loaded with cash and absolutely back-loaded for CAP.  I don't think I've ever seen a contract so utterly player friendly in every respect.  Just raped...

You see--here's the play.  At the end of year 2, Rosie will come back wanting more cash and threaten hold out.  The Pack will have little leverage because cutting him will blow a huge dead money hole in their cap.  They'll have to look to playing along on an extension.  An extension means MORE up front money for Shields and more $$$ for Rosie but digging yet a deeper hole for the team in future years.  This is exactly what was done with Revis in NY...and it worked.  Why?  Backed up into a corner and just awaiting the day for those spouts to feast on...

As a negotiator--you NEVER put yourself in a position where you sign a deal that puts you starting from behind the start line in future legs of the shuttle...  This is SAM fucking SHIELDS for fuck's sake.  Aaron Rodgers?   Maybe--if you absolutely have no other play.  Now give me a big ol' HELL YEAH and get out your checkbooks friends! Hallelujah!!  The lord is about ready to taketh away!   Laughing 

Last edited by _HD_ on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:56 pm

_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
    $9.5M/year.

Let's get ALL the information out there before we draw any conclusions. How do the salaries of the other cornerbacks accelerate?

I don't know the answers but not until we have those numbers can we make any meaningful pronouncements.

duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:04 pm

_HD_ wrote:

You mean the year Greg Jennings counts as 11 million against the Viking's cap?  Laughing

Last edited by JnC4GB on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by KBen Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:07 pm

_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
    $9.5M/year.

As of right now, it'd be 8th in 2015....but that's not taking into consideration all the things that haven't happened yet like the cap increase for 2015 & any new FA contracts dished out that could surpass Shields' in this FA period as well as any new CB contracts dished out in the 2015 FA period & any extensions made to quality CB's that would have their rook contracts be at a point to be extended.....
so why exactly were you bitching about this again ? 
KBen
KBen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:19 pm

KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
    $9.5M/year.

As of right now, it'd be 8th in 2015....but that's not taking into consideration all the things that haven't happened yet like the cap increase for 2015 & any new FA contracts dished out that could surpass Shields' in this FA period as well as any new CB contracts dished out in the 2015 FA period & any extensions made to quality CB's that would have their rook contracts be at a point to be extended.....

Study this, Bennyboy, and give me a weather report for two years from now...   Cool    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/sam-shields/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:34 pm

JnC4GB wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

You mean the year Greg Jennings counts as 11 million against the Viking's cap?  Laughing

Yup--an incredible stroke of good fortune that Jennings saved the bleached rabbit from himself...  However--just because the Pack has it--doesn't mean they should be any less judicious in how they use it...  Right?

It's like this one asshole (extended in-law family) many years ago said while walking across this beautiful like $35/yard deep plush carpeting I had just had installed that I had scored for like $5/yard in a rare sequence of events...  *But--if you got that great a deal on it...why did I have to take off my shoes?*  DUH?  Because it would cost like $35/yard + installation to replace it, dimpledick!    Laughing   I mean, WTF, Right?  He scratches his head and say's *yeah--I guess I can see what you mean.*  I had him moved to the kiddie table.   Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by KBen Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:06 pm

_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
    $9.5M/year.

Study this, Bennyboy, and give me a weather report for two years from now...   Cool    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/sam-shields/

Psssttt....dude....the cap goes up every year & even if there is only a moderate increase year per year, unlike the 10 mil jump this year, his '16 & '17 cap hits (if he is still with the team at that point) will still not be an overly drastic percentage of the overall team salary for a starting CB.

Lets say that even if Shields' play doesn't improve from where he is now and come '16 when his cap hit jumps to 12.125 and he's not worth that much to keep him on the team, it's no biggie to cut him because the dead money involved is only 6.25 and TT always carries more than that over from year to year....so cutting him at that point wouldnt screw us by 6+ mil, we'd still be on the plus side of the ledger with $ to spare.....all house money...

If TT was a total fuck up like Jerruh constantly digging his grave deeper and deeper I'd happily run him thru a chipper myself, but this one ain't one worth gettin pissed over.

Fair nuff though, if come '16-'17 that Shields' contract is the sole thing screwing the Pack out of anything/anyone worth bitching about you can say 'I told you so' and I will happily give you a little pat on the back and buy you a drink for being right   Wink 
KBen
KBen

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:36 pm

KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
    $9.5M/year.

Psssttt....dude....the cap goes up every year & even if there is only a moderate increase year per year, unlike the 10 mil jump this year, his '16 & '17 cap hits (if he is still with the team at that point) will still not be an overly drastic percentage of the overall team salary for a starting CB.

Lets say that even if Shields' play doesn't improve from where he is now and come '16 when his cap hit jumps to 12.125 and he's not worth that much to keep him on the team, it's no biggie to cut him because the dead money involved is only 6.25 and TT always carries more than that over from year to year....so cutting him at that point wouldnt screw us by 6+ mil, we'd still be on the plus side of the ledger with $ to spare.....all house money...

If TT was a total fuck up like Jerruh constantly digging his grave deeper and deeper I'd happily run him thru a chipper myself, but this one ain't one worth gettin pissed over.

Fair nuff though, if come '16-'17 that Shields' contract is the sole thing screwing the Pack out of anything/anyone worth bitching about you can say 'I told you so' and I will happily give you a little pat on the back and buy you a drink for being right   Wink 

I agree with you here, Kben. We've got Shields locked in at a reasonable rate for the next two years. Given the uncertainty of injuries in this league, we don't even know if he'll be playing in 2016 and 2017. If so, we may have to unload him, just like any other cap casualty. There is also another option of restructuring his contract again.

More to the point, I wanted to compare his salary structure to other top tier CBs in the league. I didn't get through the whole list but I did click on several of the other CBs in that Spotrack file and it seemed to me that most of their contracts were structured similar to Shields... that is to say, increasing cap hits with a big hammer coming down in 2-3 years.

If you can show us that Shields' deal is demonstrably different than most of the other guys, I'm all ears, HD. However it seems to me that Sammy's overall deal is within the range of the top -- but not the very top -- cornerbacks. Just as Kben suggested.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:02 pm

KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
    $9.5M/year.

Well God damn, Ben...  That's all I've ever really wanted...   Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:11 pm

duck wrote:
KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
    $9.5M/year.

I agree with you here, Kben.  We've got Shields locked in at a reasonable rate for the next two years.  Given the uncertainty of injuries in this league, we don't even know if he'll be playing in 2016 and 2017.  If so, we may have to unload him, just like any other cap casualty.  There is also another option of restructuring his contract again.

More to the point, I wanted to compare his salary structure to other top tier CBs in the league.  I didn't get through the whole list but I did click on several of the other CBs in that Spotrack file and it seemed to me that most of their contracts were structured similar to Shields... that is to say, increasing cap hits with a big hammer coming down in 2-3 years.

If you can show us that Shields' deal is demonstrably different than most of the other guys, I'm all ears, HD.  However it seems to me that Sammy's overall deal is within the range of the top -- but not the very top -- cornerbacks.  Just as Kben suggested.

Really?  Prove that and I'll stand corrected.  I'm saying right now that Shields (even with Talib--a FAR more accomplished CB's new contract) is the highest paid corner in the NFL for the upcoming season--$3M higher than even Revis...

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:10 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
    $9.5M/year.

I agree with you here, Kben.  We've got Shields locked in at a reasonable rate for the next two years.  Given the uncertainty of injuries in this league, we don't even know if he'll be playing in 2016 and 2017.  If so, we may have to unload him, just like any other cap casualty.  There is also another option of restructuring his contract again.

More to the point, I wanted to compare his salary structure to other top tier CBs in the league.  I didn't get through the whole list but I did click on several of the other CBs in that Spotrack file and it seemed to me that most of their contracts were structured similar to Shields... that is to say, increasing cap hits with a big hammer coming down in 2-3 years.

If you can show us that Shields' deal is demonstrably different than most of the other guys, I'm all ears, HD.  However it seems to me that Sammy's overall deal is within the range of the top -- but not the very top -- cornerbacks.  Just as Kben suggested.

Really?  Prove that and I'll stand corrected.  I'm saying right now that Shields (even with Talib--a FAR more accomplished CB's new contract) is the highest paid corner in the NFL for the upcoming season--$3M higher than even Revis...

Nice flip flop.   Very Happy 

It's all terminology.  "Highest paid" is effectively an imaginary concept.  It's all about the cap hit each year + the amount of the signing bonus that's prorated over the length of the contract.

You know that.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:28 pm

Let it go boys. He's playing stupid to string it out.

Take away the lotion and he'll stop jerking his wad.

Moving on....
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down