Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Effort by 300 Spartans

+4
throttleplate
MB20
ffaralli
milani
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Great Effort by 300 Spartans Empty Great Effort by 300 Spartans

Post by milani Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:46 pm

For a team that was totally outmanned going up against a load of Pro Bowlers. This was like having to beat a high school defense on the final play of the game. On the offensive side we just need to get our O-line strong and get Finlay back. Hyde gave it his all on that pass. He's 6 ft. If he was 6'1" maybe he makes a Herb Adderley play. TT will be under pressure to retool this defense.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Great Effort by 300 Spartans Empty Re: Great Effort by 300 Spartans

Post by ffaralli Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Milani, getting tired of hearing about TT retooling the D.

The last 2 years, he has concentrated on D...and we don't have 1 impact player on D out of those drafts yet.

ffaralli

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:02 pm

ffaralli wrote:Milani, getting tired of hearing about TT retooling the D.

The last 2 years, he has concentrated on D...and we don't have 1 impact player on D out of those drafts yet.

Yup... something is severely amiss. LBs outside of Clay are terrible, Burnett is regressing, and aside from Daniels, there is a real lack of good young talent on the line.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:06 pm

ffaralli wrote:Milani, getting tired of hearing about TT retooling the D.

One caller on WTMJ just pointed out the flaw in our personnel system. We always go with youth. And youth gets us beat in critical situations more than it wins. We don't have a Woodson, an Urlacher, a Leroy Butler, or a Eugene Robinson in our D. Hawk is about as close to it but he is not a big playmaker. TT has to get a player or two with some experience so we don't always get tricked. TT has to start with himself.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ffaralli Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:24 pm

Milani, you are correct.

Lets see who effed up today, Hyde, Bahktiari, Mulumba on several different occastions. Each one cost us points, one way or the other.

All our backups are rookies, many UDFAs, TT favorites.

I watched the games yesterday and earlier today, most of these teams pick up a veteran guy as a backup. 

That is how it used to be, when a veteran lost a step, he became a backup. Today teams cut or don't resign him.

Part of it is the Cap, of course.

That is the difference between Ron Wolf and TT. Wolf goes out and gets Wilkerson to play OT (in 1996) and TT get Backhtiari/Barclay.

He is wasting Rodgers best years with this bullshit....it was apparent today also.

George Allen used to say, "for each rookie that starts, he'll cost you at least 1 game a year."

No way in hell a team half made up of low-round picks and UDFAs can beat a team of top ten draft choices.

That is where we are now.

FF

ffaralli

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:33 pm

ffaralli wrote:Milani, you are correct.

Lets see who effed up today, Hyde, Bahktiari, Mulumba on several different occastions. Each one cost us points, one way or the other.

I watched the games yesterday and earlier today, most of these teams pick up a veteran guy as a backup. 

That is how it used to be, when a veteran lost a step, he became a backup. Today teams cut or don't resign him.

That is the difference between Ron Wolf and TT. Wolf goes out and gets Wilkerson to play OT (in 1996) and TT get Backhtiari/Barclay.

He is wasting Rodgers best years with this bullshit....it was apparent today also.

George Allen used to say, "for each rookie that starts, he'll cost you at least 1 game a year."

No way in hell a team half made up of low-round picks and UDFAs can beat a team of top ten draft choices.

FF
Guess all the cash goes to Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji. He'll have to retool no matter what. Raji will be gone and I doubt Pickett can go another year. Go after that kid from Missouri, Michael Sam, SEC defensive player of the year, who strip sacked the Oklahoma State QB to win the Cotton Bowl Friday.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:38 pm

um 9ers arnt yet paying kapnick big money,when they do they probably wont have 9 pro bowlers.
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:49 pm

FF

We complain about the young guys but, seriously, what are our options?  We have 2/3 of our salary cap devoted to Rodgers and Matthews.  For this team to excel we need production from our bargain basement players.  It's a MUST.

It's easy to look at one position (let's say RT in Don Barclay) and flap our wings and say we need an upgrade but the problem is that any additional money we spend in that direction results in diminished spending capability for other positions.

Remember that kid's game where you use a hammer to pound in one peg and another peg pops out?  The salary cap is like that.  There simply isn't enough money to get quality players in every position... especially when two players suck up most of the money.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ffaralli Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:14 pm

Then these young guys need to be coached up.....

From the looks of it, that hasn't been working too well, especially on D.

DD

ffaralli

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:19 pm

ffaralli wrote:Then these young guys need to be coached up.....

From the looks of it, that hasn't been working too well, especially on D.

DD

Amen.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:26 pm

duck wrote:
We complain about the young guys but, seriously, what are our options?  We have 2/3 of our salary cap devoted to Rodgers and Matthews.  For this team to excel we need production from our bargain basement players.  It's a MUST.

You've said this on more than one occasion, but this is clearly and obviously untrue.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:40 pm

MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:

You've said this on more than one occasion, but this is clearly and obviously untrue.

I thought I saw this at one point but it may be in error.  If so, I stand corrected.  In any case, we can agree that a large percentage of the Pack's salary cap is committed to those two players.

Interestingly, while I did some quick online research to investigate the salary cap stuff, I came across a link that says Pro Football Focus ranks EDS as the #8 center in the league.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Once again, Sitton gets All pro honors, some articles have cited our two guards as the "best" tandem in the NFL, EDS is highly ranked, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Bahktiari make the all-rookie team.  But of course, Milani has our O-Line pegged at "bottom five" and his lieutenant HD goose-steps right behind.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:47 pm

duck wrote:
MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:

I thought I saw this at one point but it may be in error.  If so, I stand corrected.  In any case, we can agree that a large percentage of the Pack's salary cap is committed to those two players.

Interestingly, while I did some quick online research to investigate the salary cap stuff, I came across a link that says Pro Football Focus ranks EDS as the #8 center in the league.

Once again, Sitton gets All pro honors, some articles have cited our two guards as the "best" tandem in the NFL, EDS is highly ranked, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Bahktiari make the all-rookie team.  But of course, Milani has our O-Line pegged at "bottom five" and his lieutenant HD goose-steps right behind.

Let me ask you this, Duck- do you think the game might have turned out differently if MM and the offensive line hadn't spent the first quarter playing tickle-slap? That you actually believe the defense cost us the game when the offense didn't even show up until the second quarter and expect anyone here to take you seriously boggles the mind. This game would have been over by halftime if Williams doesn't make that pick.

I need a really, really extended break from this board. That's one silver lining of the season ending. It's like Alice in Wonderland in here every freakin' day anymore.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:23 am

MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:
MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:

Let me ask you this, Duck- do you think the game might have turned out differently if MM and the offensive line hadn't spent the first quarter playing tickle-slap? That you actually believe the defense cost us the game when the offense didn't even show up until the second quarter and expect anyone here to take you seriously boggles the mind. This game would have been over by halftime if Williams doesn't make that pick.

I need a really, really extended break from this board. That's one silver lining of the season ending. It's like Alice in Wonderland in here every freakin' day anymore.

The offense stunk to start the game, the defense stunk to end it.  Take your pick.  

Did I ever say that this was a great effort by the offense?  No.  In fact I agreed with you that Jones' drops were huge missed opportunities.  I thought our offensive line play was spotty... weak at first but then they steadied up later in the game.  I thought MM's play calling was so-so.  I understand that he was trying to establish the run early but disappointed that he waited so long to mix things up.  I hated the run play by Cobb at the end.  In fairness, the Niners do have a top tier defense, so I don't want to bash the O too much.  I thought Jordy as usual was money and Lacy gave us yards we've never seen by Packer running backs before.  Rodgers didn't bring his A game but he was absolutely brilliant in moments.  That play where he escaped a sure sack and found Cobb was incredible.

I'm sorry but I still pin this loss primarily -- not exclusively, mind you -- on the D.  It was a tie game and the Niners got the ball in their own territory with 5:06 to go.  With a stop our O would have gotten the ball back with a chance to win the game.  Instead, the Niners killed the clock, drove 65 yards, converted 3-3 on third downs and won the game.  When it came down to crunch time, as usual, our D disappeared.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ffaralli Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:28 am

Rodgers didn't bring his A game but he was absolutely brilliant in moments.............

Ok, our D is not a Championship caliber D.

But #12 hasn't brought his A game to the post season since the SuperBowl run.......you could check it out......he has to play better than he did against the Giants,Vikings and 49ers in the last 4 post season games.

I'd give him a B- for the game yesterday....bad decision making and lots of indecision on his part.

No excuses.

I know this is going to ignite a firestorm.

FF

ffaralli

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:22 am

ffaralli wrote:Rodgers didn't bring his A game but he was absolutely brilliant in moments.............

Ok, our D is not a Championship caliber D.

But #12 hasn't brought his A game to the post season since the SuperBowl run.......you could check it out......he has to play better than he did against the Giants,Vikings and 49ers in the last 4 post season games.

I'd give him a B- for the game yesterday....bad decision making and lots of indecision on his part.

No excuses.

FF

No, I think this assessment is accurate. Rodgers hasn't brought his A game to the postseason since XLV.

I also think a lot of that is because MM has allowed Rodgers to develop some bad habits such as ignoring his checkdowns in favor of the other three guys he sends on long routes. That is my biggest argument for wanting to move on from MM- I think he is absolutely the wrong coach for Rodgers at this point in his career. He's addicted to the big play and has made his quarterback the same way. He needs an adult to coach him out of that and set up him to succeed IMO. Rodgers kind of reminds of the guy who can easily hit 50 home runs a season as long as he allows his swing to be natural and doesn't actually try to hit every pitch to the moon, but is being coached to try to hit every pitch to the moon. I also think his offensive line doesn't create clean enough pockets for him long enough or consistently enough.

But, as it relates to yesterday- no, he wasn't good enough. The defense, as we all know, is not a championship-caliber defense, but they did as well as could be expected IMO. And at least they've had the excuse of injuries. I don't think asking this completely healthy offense for 24 points was too much.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:00 am

I think a B- for Rodgers is overly generous.

He made a few good plays, but he seemed out of it for much of the game. Didn't complete a pass for 10 or more yards until around the 2-minute warning. Didn't move well (or at all) all first half. Locked in on primary targets almost every play. Threw a god-awful pick.

But what really chapped my ass with him was his going into a hook-slide at the SF 4 to settle for the FG to tie it 20-20.

If EVER there was a time to sell-out and sacrifice your body for the cause that was it. Instead he goes into the fetal position on the 4. As a contrast, the opposing QB looked one thousand times hungrier than did Rodgers. He looked like he had his eyes on the Super Bowl. Rodgers looked like he was looking forward to being back in San Diego for the off season.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ffaralli Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:27 am

JNC,

I agree 1000%, but I did not want to be overly critical of one guy since there is more blame to go around.

He has to sell out on that play at the 4 instead of being willing to accept an FG.

And you are right, I changed my grade to a C-.

But he has not been the same post-season force since the SB 3 years ago.

Bottom line, for us to beat this team, we had to play mistake free football (we didn't)  and everyone had to bring his A game.

FF

ffaralli

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:59 am

Heck, I agree with everyone.  Rodgers was unbelievably spectacular in the postseason in 2010 (and maybe even more in 2009, rallying the Pack twice from down 21 points)... but he's fallen far short of that standard in the years since.  You can't say that he's played badly; it's just that he hasn't taken his game up a notch which you need to do the the playoffs.

Here are some disturbing facts.  Under Rodgers, we've had three one-and-done playoff appearances and have lost twice at Lambeau.

Favre got us into the playoffs almost every year but his overall playoff record with Green Bay was a so-so 12-10.  Rodgers is following exactly in his footsteps at 5-4.

Admittedly, too much is made of the quarterbacking in big games.  They get undue credit for wins and undue blame for losses.  Nevertheless, there has been a noticeable decline in Rodgers' performances and we all can see it.

Having said all that, I'd still rather roll the dice with him next year than any other QB in the league.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:59 pm

duck wrote:

FF

It's easy to look at one position (let's say RT in Don Barclay) and flap our wings and say we need an upgrade but the problem is that any additional money we spend in that direction results in diminished spending capability for other positions.

Remember that kid's game where you use a hammer to pound in one peg and another peg pops out?  The salary cap is like that.  There simply isn't enough money to get quality players in every position... especially when two players suck up most of the money.
Sounds a lot like when TT took over with 2/3 of his salary cap tied up with Favre, Wahle, and Rivera. He decided he'd let 2 go now and keep the other one for a few more.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:57 pm

ffaralli wrote:JNC,

I agree 1000%, but I did not want to be overly critical of one guy since there is more blame to go around.

He has to sell out on that play at the 4 instead of being willing to accept an FG.

And you are right, I changed my grade to a C-.

But he has not been the same post-season force since the SB 3 years ago.

Bottom line, for us to beat this team, we had to play mistake free football (we didn't)  and everyone had to bring his A game.

FF

Yes indeed............Favre or Elway would have SOLD EFFEN OUT on that play...........SOLD EFFEN OUT.   Here's another thing I noticed (responding to the assertion that MM isn't coaching Rodgers properly to go through his checkdowns.........which I agree with).    Yesterday for some reason very few Packers receivers were able to get open before Rodgers either got sacked or out of rhythm.   Niners were able to pressure without blitzing........our receivers were not able to get open, i.e., Boykin was a non-factor...........he was always covered.  The dinks to Kuhn were OK...........but that was it.   Remember back in the day how Holmgren used his TEs?  Not the case yesterday that's for sure.  None of our RBs can do deep like Dorsey Levens used to do either.   MM is not sufficiently creative (he EFFEN vapor locks at the darndest dang times).  I lost it twice yesterday............the second time I just flat out yelled "Hey..........this is NOT a preseason game...........this is a WILD CARD PLAYOFF game".   No profanitiy or nothing..........just trying to wake somebody up.    Forget it........watch Auburn - Florida State and then wait for Opening Day in April.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:32 am

duck wrote:

The offense stunk to start the game, the defense stunk to end it.  Take your pick.  

Did I ever say that this was a great effort by the offense?  No.  In fact I agreed with you that Jones' drops were huge missed opportunities.  I thought our offensive line play was spotty... weak at first but then they steadied up later in the game.  I thought MM's play calling was so-so.  I understand that he was trying to establish the run early but disappointed that he waited so long to mix things up.  I hated the run play by Cobb at the end.  In fairness, the Niners do have a top tier defense, so I don't want to bash the O too much.  I thought Jordy as usual was money and Lacy gave us yards we've never seen by Packer running backs before.  Rodgers didn't bring his A game but he was absolutely brilliant in moments.  That play where he escaped a sure sack and found Cobb was incredible.

You just can't see the forest for the bear shit, can you? What the o-line steadied up later in the game was their blatant holding, including on the play where Rodgers "escaped" a sure sack after McDonald of the Niners was practically bear hugged right as he was about to pummel Rodgers on that 4th down play. My buddy kept pointing this out to me throughout the game, but I ignored him until I watched NFL Network last night after the game and they were chuckling as one by one they highlighted the repeated holds and non-calls on Packer o-linemen, and also two blatant pass interference calls in the end zone early in the game where Crabtree was clearly held on consecutive plays and SF had to settle for a FG. The refs were apparently as blind a you are. If this game was called like every other fricking game I've seen all year, the score is more like about 27-14 San Fran. So, I consider my Packers lucky to even be in position to nearly be in position to actually win the thing. You on the other hand, just keep on being the blind squirrel that finds the big set of nuts.

Back to top Go down

Post by CatalinaMinx Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:20 am

Packerbacker, great to see you back!   Very Happy
CatalinaMinx
CatalinaMinx
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 am

#1PackerBacker wrote:
duck wrote:

You just can't see the forest for the bear shit, can you? What the o-line steadied up later in the game was their blatant holding, including on the play where Rodgers "escaped" a sure sack after McDonald of the Niners was practically bear hugged right as he was about to pummel Rodgers on that 4th down play. My buddy kept pointing this out to me throughout the game, but I ignored him until I watched NFL Network last night after the game and they were chuckling as one by one they highlighted the repeated holds and non-calls on Packer o-linemen, and also two blatant pass interference calls in the end zone early in the game where Crabtree was clearly held on consecutive plays and SF had to settle for a FG. The refs were apparently as blind a you are. If this game was called like every other fricking game I've seen all year, the score is more like about 27-14 San Fran. So, I consider my Packers lucky to even be in position to nearly be in position to actually win the thing. You on the other hand, just keep on being the blind squirrel that finds the big set of nuts.

Please... would you just drop this facade of being a Packer fan?  We know perfectly well which team you have an allegiance to and that incessant whining of yours is the ultimate tipoff.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:16 am

duck wrote:
#1PackerBacker wrote:
duck wrote:

Please... would you just drop this facade of being a Packer fan?  We know perfectly well which team you have an allegiance to and that incessant whining of yours is the ultimate tipoff.

Just trying to keep it real. Simply trying to point out how over-matched we were in pass protection, pass defending, and what our guys had to do to prevent TDs and keep Rodgers from getting mangled. How the repeated acts on several game-changing plays were seen by everyone but the stripes is open to interpretation, but the fact is the Pack need to get better in those areas ASAP. I'm sorry you feel the need to think something else is hiding under the sofa cushion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next