Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great, oh just great...

5 posters

Go down

Great, oh just great... Empty Great, oh just great...

Post by duck Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:17 pm

I had a bad feeling about it when I saw him get hit on Friday night.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Great, oh just great... Empty Re: Great, oh just great...

Post by milani Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:19 pm

duck wrote:I had a bad feeling about it when I saw him get hit on Friday night.

Talk about a year of inexperience in the backfield. Now Crosby has secured his job for a good while. Next thing you know we'll be calling on Ryan Grant in another month or so. Jerrod Bush is still with us. He might have the longest tenure with us soon except for ARod.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:14 pm

Cheer up, Duck. Missin' Crosby just won his rigged kicking competition! Time to size the troops for rings

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:46 pm

MB20 wrote:Cheer up, Duck. Missin' Crosby just won his rigged kicking competition! Time to size the troops for rings

Fuck.  I can just visualize the scenario.  We're down in the Super Bowl 28-27.  Crosby has already nailed two 45+ FGs although the last one bounced off the crossbar and barely dropped in.  Now, with three seconds left on the clock, he lines up (much like Buffalo's Norwood) for a potential game winning 38 yard FG.

Hot urine is gushing down my pants and I excuse myself to go to the bathroom of my sports bar... but I am too late because there is a line of ten other Packer fans in front of me.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:59 pm

duck wrote:
MB20 wrote:Cheer up, Duck. Missin' Crosby just won his rigged kicking competition! Time to size the troops for rings

Fuck.  I can just visualize the scenario.  We're down in the Super Bowl 28-27.  Crosby has already nailed two 45+ FGs although the last one bounced off the crossbar and barely dropped in.  Now, with three seconds left on the clock, he lines up (much like Buffalo's Norwood) for a potential game winning 38 yard FG.

Hot urine is gushing down my pants and I excuse myself to go to the bathroom of my sports bar... but I am too late because there is a line of ten other Packer fans in front of me.
No, the incontinence will be because you're old and that is the kind of stuff that happens to old people Laughing 

I think there are some guys on this team that anyone serious about winning a championship needs to move mountains to get off their roster. Marshall Newhouse is one of those guys, and I don't think they did nearly enough to run his slow, fat ass out of town. Crosby is another one of those guys. He's a basket case. How the fuck can you trust any kicker who went an entire NFL season making fewer than two-thirds of his FG attempts (and is well below 80% for his career)? I guess they're going to literally wait until he costs us games before seriously considering cutting him.

The complacency at 1265 Lombardi Avenue is very disturbing. It feels like these guys are bound and determined to piss away Rodgers' prime just like much of Favre's was.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:05 am

milani wrote:

Talk about a year of inexperience in the backfield. Now Crosby has secured his job for a good while. Next thing you know we'll be calling on Ryan Grant in another month or so. Jerrod Bush is still with us. He might have the longest tenure with us soon except for ARod.

Oh, Milani, Milani, Milani.  You still seem to think veterans are a good thing.  That's not the case in the salary cap era anymore!  You need to have a handful of good core players who suck up the majority of your cap space.  The balance of the roster should be cheap young (and hopefully fast) players.  It's simply not possible to sign a lot of veterans because they all command higher salaries!!  Most fans don't get this.  Every NFL team has 15-20 players who are bargain basement/dime-a-dozen.  That's just the way it is.

We won the SB in 2010 with a completely untested rookie who debuted in the playoffs.  Believe me, I'm very sad Harris went down because I think he was a major piece of the puzzle.  MM even said as much.  However, we do have Lacy, the best runner Green Bay has had since Green, and our rushing attack will be the best it's been in ages.

Check back in Week 15 or 16.  Each and every NFL team will be devastated by injuries.  The teams with the best depth (particularly in the positions hit by injuries) will be the ones that prevail.

This is not Vince Lombardi's NFL anymore.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:28 am

MB20 wrote:
duck wrote:

No, the incontinence will be because you're old and that is the kind of stuff that happens to old people Laughing 

I think there are some guys on this team that anyone serious about winning a championship needs to move mountains to get off their roster. Marshall Newhouse is one of those guys, and I don't think they did nearly enough to run his slow, fat ass out of town. Crosby is another one of those guys. He's a basket case. How the fuck can you trust any kicker who went an entire NFL season making fewer than two-thirds of his FG attempts (and is well below 80% for his career)? I guess they're going to literally wait until he costs us games before seriously considering cutting him.

The complacency at 1265 Lombardi Avenue is very disturbing. It feels like these guys are bound and determined to piss away Rodgers' prime just like much of Favre's was.
Funny you should lecture me about my age when we had to come up with a special term for going ballistic about our team's failures called "going Bergamo."  Very Happy 

I get your point but as I was saying to Milani, the nature of the game now is that all teams are going to be stuck with marginal players.  Newhouse?  I can't stand the guy but the sad truth of the matter is that he's probably better than most of the guys on the practice squads.  Quality NFL players don't grow on trees and the top 70-80 or so offensive tackles have already been snapped up by most teams.  Newhouse is in the next tier but he's still better than some of the stiffs they have as "jars on the shelf."  At least the Packers had the sense to move him to right tackle.  Barclay will probably beat him out and he'll be a back up.  I can live with that.

Crosby's situation is much different.  Unlike OTs, kickers are 90% mental and as you said, Crosby is damaged goods.  I don't care how much he dominated a preseason contest over a couple of newcomers (over whom he held a huge advantage), the man is unreliable.

I share your frustration that Rodgers' potential could be pissed away much like Favre's was, but I'm not willing to label it "complacency" on the part of Packer management.

The NFL is a tough league.  The best we can hope for is that our team will be a legitimate contender in the playoffs.  I believe that happened to Green Bay in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.  We got one Lombardi trophy.  Not in the year I would have expected, but that unexpected success to some extent mitigates the frustration over the failures in the other years.

You would think Rodgers, as the best QB in the league, would be good for one or two more titles, but you just never know how the teams will be performing in late-December/early January.

We shall see.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by KBen Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:58 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

sorry, did you say something ? Razz 
KBen
KBen

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:43 pm

KBen wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

sorry, did you say something ? Razz 

I need a drink table like that.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:31 pm

Yeah right.   As MM said a few years ago "It's hard to win in this league" and then subsequent to that comment by MM some smartass named Ringo stated "It's hard to win in this league when you're not playing'.    Talkin' 'bout losing in the first round of the playoffs and then sitting at home licking wounds and going on vacation.

No. 1 seed (2011): The Packers carried a 15-1 record into the post-season but lost to the New York Giants 37-20 at home in the divisional round.

No. 2 seed (2007): The Packers posted a 13-3 record and defeated Seattle in a divisional playoff game at Lambeau before losing 23-20 in overtime to the New York Giants at home in the NFC title game.

No. 3 seed (2012): After posting an 11-5 regular-season record, the Packers beat the Vikings at home at Lambeau Field.

No. 5 seed (2009): The Packers posted an 11-5 regular-season record but lost at Arizona in a wild-card playoff game 51-45 in overtime.

No. 6 seed (2010): The Packers squeaked into the playoffs with a 10-6 record on the basis of a tiebreaker, then won three straight road games to advance to the Super Bowl, where they defeated Pittsburgh.

So to review McCarthy’s playoff record, he is 2-1 in wild-card games, 2-1 in divisional playoff games, 1-1 in NFC title games and 1-0 in Super Bowls.

This for the great prognosticators on this board:

No __ seed (2013): Packers ______________________________________.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:50 pm

duck wrote:
milani wrote:

Oh, Milani, Milani, Milani.  You still seem to think veterans are a good thing.  That's not the case in the salary cap era anymore!  You need to have a handful of good core players who suck up the majority of your cap space.  The balance of the roster should be cheap young (and hopefully fast) players.  It's simply not possible to sign a lot of veterans because they all command higher salaries!!  Most fans don't get this.  Every NFL team has 15-20 players who are bargain basement/dime-a-dozen.  That's just the way it is.

We won the SB in 2010 with a completely untested rookie who debuted in the playoffs.  Believe me, I'm very sad Harris went down because I think he was a major piece of the puzzle.  MM even said as much.  However, we do have Lacy, the best runner Green Bay has had since Green, and our rushing attack will be the best it's been in ages.

Check back in Week 15 or 16.  Each and every NFL team will be devastated by injuries.  The teams with the best depth (particularly in the positions hit by injuries) will be the ones that prevail.

So you make sense. We went through 5 RBs last season. Who's to say we won't this year? Low price? If the injuries in the backfield grow TT will go after Benson or Grant. And it will really be cheap. Probably no good, but at least cheap.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:27 pm

milani wrote:
duck wrote:
milani wrote:

So you make sense. We went through 5 RBs last season. Who's to say we won't this year? Low price? If the injuries in the backfield grow TT will go after Benson or Grant. And it will really be cheap. Probably no good, but at least cheap.

Running backs are a dime a dozen and basically guys you run through a meat grinder.  You can expect 2-3 running backs to go down each year, usually with knee injuries.  The Adrian Petersons are few and far between.  For a long time the Packers have subsisted on guys who pick up 3 yards a pop, just barely enough to keep the defenses honest.  Eddie Lacy could change that.  Worst case scenario, he gets hurt or doesn't pan out, and Rodgers goes back to the short passing game.  Bottom line is that Green Bay will still have a top tier offense.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down