Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goal line stand

+2
throttleplate
duck
6 posters

Go down

Goal line stand Empty Goal line stand

Post by duck Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:21 pm

I forgot about our goal line stand.  Wasn't that a thing of beauty?  When was the last time we saw a Packer team do that -- the 2011 opener against the Saints??

However, McCarthy's decision to decline the 10 yard penalty was insane.  3rd-and-11 at the 11 is much better than 4th-and-1 on the 1.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Goal line stand Empty Re: Goal line stand

Post by throttleplate Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:31 pm

wrong duck.why give the ravens 2 chances to score?Fatty had the guts to trust the d which was playing lights out.Even I wont critizize that call.
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:31 pm

duck wrote:I forgot about our goal line stand.  Wasn't that a thing of beauty?  When was the last time we saw a Packer team do that -- the 2011 opener against the Saints??

However, McCarthy's decision to decline the 10 yard penalty was insane.  3rd-and-11 at the 11 is much better than 4th-and-1 on the 1.
Wrong Duckles...  That was the proper call.  Remember--the shrekker just did the opposite a couple of games ago and apparently learned his lesson.  90% of NFL caliber head coaches kick the FG there...  Johnny boy just couldn't resist and fisted himself there...  Laughing 

The Packers won this game for one reason and one reason only.  Finally--they outcoached the other side.  It was, quite frankly, a delight to see.  First time this season, really...

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:42 pm

duck wrote:However, McCarthy's decision to decline the 10 yard penalty was insane.  3rd-and-11 at the 11 is much better than 4th-and-1 on the 1.
This is incorrect.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:50 pm

I agree HD,with our loss at the receiver position,playing with 1 1/2 recievers fatty ran a balanced offense,just enough pass and mix in the run.Fatty could have thrown in the towel on Boykins but after a few misups with Rodgers boykins came through with huge yac.

Even with the Kuhn fuck up on the blocked punt fatty stuck with Kuhn and he picked up some yards from out of the back fied with a catch,Fatty gets a game ball this weekend from me.
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:56 pm

duck wrote:I forgot about our goal line stand.  Wasn't that a thing of beauty?  When was the last time we saw a Packer team do that -- the 2011 opener against the Saints??

I agree. It was the wrong call. But this is where the inane outthinks the insane.
MM probably believed Harbaugh would kick the FG from the 1 anyway. If he takes the penalty he's probably afraid Flacco will burn him in the end zone. But Harbaugh outstupefies him and decides to go for it right into the teeth of our bulk.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:05 pm

milani wrote:

I agree. It was the wrong call. But this is where the inane outthinks the insane.
MM probably believed Harbaugh would kick the FG from the 1 anyway. If he takes the penalty he's probably afraid Flacco will burn him in the end zone. But Harbaugh outstupefies him and decides to go for it right into the teeth of our bulk.
Yes, I'm sure MM's calculation was that Harbaugh would simply kick the FG.  However, him going for it on 4th-and-1 put the Packers in a tough spot.  If the Ravens score, the Packers give up 7 points.  Even if they don't, the Packers are dangerously pinned deep.

The odds of converting a 3rd-and-11 are not very good at all.  Converting a third down in general is about 37%.  For this distance, I'd guess it's around 20%.

With a 3rd-and-11, there's a much greater probability of the Ravens ending up with a FG attempt.  With a 4th-and-1 on the 1, there's a good chance the Ravens score a TD (I'd guess about 50/50) and even if they don't the Packers are stuck starting at the Ravens' one yard line.

I disagree with MB, HD and Throttle and stick with my take that MM should have taken the penalty.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:08 pm

duck wrote:
milani wrote:

Yes, I'm sure MM's calculation was that Harbaugh would simply kick the FG.  However, him going for it on 4th-and-1 put the Packers in a tough spot.  If the Ravens score, the Packers give up 7 points.  Even if they don't, the Packers are dangerously pinned deep.

The odds of converting a 3rd-and-11 are not very good at all.  Converting a third down in general is about 37%.  For this distance, I'd guess it's around 20%.

With a 3rd-and-11, there's a much greater probability of the Ravens ending up with a FG attempt.  With a 4th-and-1 on the 1, there's a good chance the Ravens score a TD (I'd guess about 50/50) and even if they don't the Packers are stuck starting at the Ravens' one yard line.

I disagree with MB, HD and Throttle and stick with my take that MM should have taken the penalty.
...then we're gonna have to keep you in the locker room, towel boy...  Your potential for career progression just ended...  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Duck,this is your x-mas card from coach Fatty

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:27 pm

duck wrote:
milani wrote:

You are just wrong. I mean, Milani agreed with you. What other evidence do you need? But, anyway...

Who gives a flying fuck about being pinned deep if you make the stop? You just have to get by and make a play somewhere in the next two possessions to flip field position.

With how ineffective the Ravens' running game was, and given how well the front 7 was playing, it was absolutely the right decision. You know I pass up no opportunity to crucify MM. This is not such an opportunity.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:32 pm

Late to the party, but yeah, you're wrong here Duck.

I shit a brick earlier this year when McCarthy in a similar situation shit on his D and went the gutless route after the D had EARNED his respect.

Just as they had today.
Believe it or not, Coach Vaporlock actually LEARNED something...props to him for doing the "Go get 'em boys" route for a D that was hot.
Right call there win or lose.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:12 am

JnC4GB wrote:Late to the party, but yeah, you're wrong here Duck.

I shit a brick earlier this year when McCarthy in a similar situation shit on his D and went the gutless route after the D had EARNED his respect.

Just as they had today.
Believe it or not, Coach Vaporlock actually LEARNED something...props to him for doing the "Go get 'em boys" route for a D that was hot.
I get the point that from a leadership/morale standpoint, there were huge intangibles to showing that level of confidence in the defense.  Maybe even if the Ravens had scored a TD that trust might have paid dividends later.

However, I don't like the idea of letting another team get into a 50/50 proposition of scoring a TD in that situation.

Let's flip this a bit and compare prevailing strategies when a team gets close to FG range.  If the opposing team is at the outer range of a FG attempt, let's say the 36 or 37 yard line, and you have a chance to back them up ten yards, what the hell do you think most coaches will do?  Decline the penalty and let them go for a 50/50 FG attempt?  Nope.  They will take the 10 yard penalty and try to get them out of range.  

Bottom line is that it worked out and it was a testament to how well our D was playing today.  Had the Ravens scored a TD, I bet you guys would be singing a completely different tune now.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:38 am

duck wrote:

Just as they had today.
I get the point that from a leadership/morale standpoint, there were huge intangibles to showing that level of confidence in the defense.  Maybe even if the Ravens had scored a TD that trust might have paid dividends later.

However, I don't like the idea of letting another team get into a 50/50 proposition of scoring a TD in that situation.

Let's flip this a bit and compare prevailing strategies when a team gets close to FG range.  If the opposing team is at the outer range of a FG attempt, let's say the 36 or 37 yard line, and you have a chance to back them up ten yards, what the hell do you think most coaches will do?  Decline the penalty and let them go for a 50/50 FG attempt?  Nope.  They will take the 10 yard penalty and try to get them out of range.  

Bottom line is that it worked out and it was a testament to how well our D was playing today.  Had the Ravens scored a TD, I bet you guys would be singing a completely different tune now.
You're just flat out not cluing on this one, Duck...  You do the same thing every time on this.  You don't give somebody two chances from the 11 yard line over one chance from the 1--when 90% of head coaches are going to do the right thing and kick the FG there.  Nobody likes to come out of that without any points like Johnny boy did.  It's a moral back-breaker.  You can bet he'd like that back--after all--it did only likely cost him the game.    You're, in effect, giving the opposition one cost-free crack at the end zone while in the heart of the red zone...if they don't make it--they just line up and kick the FG on 4th down like they would have anyway.  Who gives a shit if it is kicked from the 8 or 15 yard line.  It's a chip shot regardless...

This is exactly how Fatty fucked up a couple of weeks ago.  The moron took the penalty and handed them two fucking chances that netted them 7 when they almost certainly would have kicked the FG on 4th down...so yeah--25 years into coaching on some level--and the dumb ass finally figures out something that should just be hard-wired in his brain.  It's no brainerland, Duck...I'm sorry to have to say...

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:56 am

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

Just as they had today.

You're just flat out not cluing on this one, Duck...  You do the same thing every time on this.  You don't give somebody two chances from the 11 yard line over one chance from the 1--when 90% of head coaches are going to do the right thing and kick the FG there.  Nobody likes to come out of that without any points like Johnny boy did.  You can bet he'd like that back--after all--it did only likely cost him the game.    You're, in effect, giving the opposition one cost-free crack at the end zone while in the heart of the red zone...if they don't make it--they just line up and kick the FG on 4th down like they would have anyway.  Who gives a shit if it is kicked from the 8 or 15 yard line.  It's a chip shot regardless...

This is exactly how Fatty fucked up a couple of weeks ago.  The moron took the penalty and handed them two fucking chances that netted them 7 when they almost certainly would have kicked the FG on 4th down...so yeah--25 years into coaching on some level--and the dumb ass finally figures out something that should just be hard-wired in his brain.  It's no brainerland, Duck...I'm sorry to have to say...
Correct yourself here, HD.  Backing them up to the 11 would not give them TWO chances to get a TD.... almost undoubtedly just ONE.  This was hardly two-down territory.  They would run one play and unless it somehow came down to the 1 again, Harbaugh would have sent in the FG unit.

I think everyone... you, me, MM, and most of the folks watching the game... thought Harbaugh would take the three points, given how well the Packer D was playing.  That was certainly the correct call in such a tight game.  If the ball was on the 2 yard line, I'm sure he would have.  And if the ball was on the 2 yard line, I would have toggled over to your position.

However, with the ball on the 1, the likelihood of a Ravens TD was at least 50/50.  The way our defense was playing, I was pretty sure they would not convert a 3rd-and-11.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:03 am

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

Just as they had today.

You're just flat out not cluing on this one, Duck...  You do the same thing every time on this.  You don't give somebody two chances from the 11 yard line over one chance from the 1--when 90% of head coaches are going to do the right thing and kick the FG there.  Nobody likes to come out of that without any points like Johnny boy did.  You can bet he'd like that back--after all--it did only likely cost him the game.    You're, in effect, giving the opposition one cost-free crack at the end zone while in the heart of the red zone...if they don't make it--they just line up and kick the FG on 4th down like they would have anyway.  Who gives a shit if it is kicked from the 8 or 15 yard line.  It's a chip shot regardless...

Correct yourself here, HD.  Backing them up to the 11 would not give them TWO chances to get a TD.... almost undoubtedly just ONE.  This was hardly two-down territory.  They would run one play and unless it somehow came down to the 1 again, Harbaugh would have sent in the FG unit.

Jeezus, Duck...  Shocked   Read what is underlined above, k?  Can somebody help out our friend here tonite, for God's sake...

I think everyone... you, me, MM, and most of the folks watching the game... thought Harbaugh would take the three points, given how well the Packer D was playing.  That was certainly the correct call in such a tight game.  If the ball was on the 2 yard line, I'm sure he would have.  And if the ball was on the 2 yard line, I would have toggled over to your position.

However, with the ball on the 1, the likelihood of a Ravens TD was at least 50/50.  The way our defense was playing, I was pretty sure they would not convert a 3rd-and-11.

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:14 am

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

Just as they had today.

Jeezus, Duck...  Shocked   Read what is underlined above, k?  Can somebody help out our friend here tonite, for God's sake...

Read your own words, HD.  Very Happy
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:19 am

Chiming in here to help out the Duckman.   Duck.......hypothetically if the Ravens are backed up to the 11 for a 3rd down try, if they don't throw an incomplete pass they can kick a field goal.    Alternatively if they throw a complete pass or run the ball 10 yards, they end up on the 1 yard line......they could then try to score on 4th and 1.   So effectively McFatty took one chance away from the Ravens while at the same time betting on his goal line defense.  

Was that of any help? (Duck must be really of partially hungover).
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down