Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilfork probably out for the year

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wilfork probably out for the year Empty Wilfork probably out for the year

Post by guppy Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:30 pm

I know the Pats aren't the only ones dealing with injuries, but this really hurts.

We're screwed, screwed, screwed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Wilfork probably out for the year Empty Re: Wilfork probably out for the year

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:51 pm

guppy wrote: I know the Pats aren't the only ones dealing with injuries, but this really hurts.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Maybe not.  You already have guys out hurt and their getting it done!  
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:53 pm

~Sheila~ wrote:
guppy wrote: I know the Pats aren't the only ones dealing with injuries, but this really hurts.

Maybe not.  You already have guys out hurt and their getting it done!  

Ya, maybe so.  But this particular guy counts as two. 
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:57 pm

I know the Pats aren't the only ones dealing with injuries, but this really hurts.

Not really. Don't take this as a shot, although I know you will, but he's been slowing down the last few years. His snap counts have been going down since 2011 and you're even starting to see him get single teamed. At least I did in the Jets game. He's still an above average player and is good for the occasional highlight reel play, but he's not what he was so I don't see it as a huge thing. Of course that depends on who replaces him, I guess.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:58 pm

George1963 wrote:I know the Pats aren't the only ones dealing with injuries, but this really hurts.

Not really. Don't take this as a shot, although I know you will, but he's been slowing down the last few years. His snap counts have been going down since 2011 and you're even starting to see him get single teamed. At least I did in the Jets game. He's still an above average player and is good for the occasional highlight reel play, but he's not what he was so I don't see it as a huge thing. Of course that depends on who replaces him, I guess.
Just heard minutes ago on PTI, the Pats fall to 32nd against the run when Vince iis out.  Stats mean nothing to the Pats.  They just seem to win.
BTW...Pete Caroll is getting on my nerves with his caffein-laced chewing gum.  At least BB has been without emotion over the years no matter what.  One team, like Lombardi did against Fred Williamson, is going to call a play and just run over Pete Carroll.  Not because he has been winning, it's his fopey dignity-less manner of jumping around after a win.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:41 pm

LRJets wrote:
George1963 wrote:I know the Pats aren't the only ones dealing with injuries, but this really hurts.

Just heard minutes ago on PTI, the Pats fall to 32nd against the run when Vince iis out. 

Yes, so when Vince is in there, they are in the upper third, statistically, against the run.  When he's out, they fall to the bottom in that category.  It is what it is.  That clearly says something.  Losing him may not hurt in the short term, but over the course of the season, I don't see how it can't mean the difference between winning and losing a game here or there.  I'm not dismissing George's offering that he's slowed down or not what he was.  Maybe true, maybe not.  I don't think there is any big change that's obviously noticeable to the eye in terms of a palpable drop off in his play from years past.   I think he still disrupts the other team's running game to a very high degree, and he's still pretty special.  I don't think you just pull a similar part off the shelf and plug a replacement part in and expect the same level of production.  

I'm sure Belichick designs some of his defensive schemes around Vince's ability to clog the middle.  Perhaps now they have to change the schemes up, and do things differently.  Or they go make a trade for someone.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:35 pm

You said what I said, but in fancier terms. 
Bottom line I guess. 
More runs to the middle by opponents, while more concentration to that middle by NE.
Another beefy chess match.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thanking God for a successful surgery [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:59 am

George1963 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thanking God for a successful surgery [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What's the over-under that he will be back before Gronk?

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:34 am

What's the over-under that he will be back before Gronk?

Or Derrick Rose?

(I cannot see Gronk coming back so fast.  Can't possibly be "football ready". Bad back is a difficult affliction for civilians.  Forearm?  Not good situation. Hope I'm wrong, he's a good-spirited kid.)
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:07 am

Can we, as football fans, Patriots fans included, please stop with the booing of injured players of opposing teams lying on the field because we are trying to say they are faking it?  All fanbases are now doing it.  Its stupid.  Not saying that faking it doesn't occur, but its very rare imo, and now we fans are saying that it happens all the time because we boo every injury to a defensive player.  Its stupid.  Just stop it.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:21 pm

The Bengals had 162 yards on the ground, much of it right up the middle.  So much for Wilfork's absence not being felt big time.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:52 pm

guppy wrote:

The Bengals had 162 yards on the ground, much of it right up the middle.  So much for Wilfork's absence not being felt big time.

Yeah. 162 yards rushing. 28 on a Bernard sweep and 25 on Dalton scrambles but, it all counts.
162 yards.
On 39 carries.
4.1 yards per carry.
Dead on their season average.
Big time.
Yeah.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:31 pm

George1963 wrote:6
guppy wrote:

Yeah. 162 yards rushing. 28 on a Bernard sweep and 25 on Dalton scrambles but, it all counts.
162 yards.
On 39 carries.
4.1 yards per carry.
Big time.
Yeah.

Coming into this game, the Bengals averaged 83.8 rushing yards per game (22nd in NFL).  Now they rush for 162.  Looks to me like they basically doubled their rushing yards in this one. 

Prior to this game, the Pats were allowing 105 rushing yards per game against them.  Now, without Vince, they allow 162. 

Also, the Bengals yds per attempt coming in to this one was 3.4 (26th in NFL).   Now they improve that to 4.1 against the Pats defensive front without Wilfork. 

Big time. 

Yeah. 

I've learned that when you start throwing numbers around, your spin on things cannot always be trusted.

For good reason.

Finally, any person who watches the Pats on a regular basis doesn't even need numbers or stats to see that their run defense suffered without Wilfork in this game.  You can see that's the case just by the eyeball test watching the game.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:58 am

guppy wrote:
guppy wrote:

162 yards.
On 39 carries.
4.1 yards per carry.
Big time.
Yeah.

Coming into this game, the Bengals averaged 83.8 rushing yards per game (22nd in NFL).  Now they rush for 162.  Looks to me like they basically doubled their rushing yards in this one. 

Prior to this game, the Pats were allowing 105 rushing yards per game against them.  Now, without Vince, they allow 162. 

Also, the Bengals yds per attempt coming in to this one was 3.4 (26th in NFL).   Now they improve that to 4.1 against the Pats defensive front without Wilfork. 

Big time. 

Yeah. 

I've learned that when you start throwing numbers around, your spin on things cannot always be trusted.

For good reason.

Finally, any person who watches the Pats on a regular basis doesn't even need numbers or stats to see that their run defense suffered without Wilfork in this game.  You can see that's the case just by the eyeball test watching the game.
Well, that's your opinion, and while we all know that you're the only one here on what you've decided is the unicorns and rainbows happy news only Patriots fan-boy board who's allowed to have one of those, according to NFL.com the Bengals ran 18 times between the tackles for 54 yards.
Last week the Falcons ran 9 times for 51.
The week before the Bucs ran 12 times for 53
The Jets did it 23 times for 92 yards.
In week one the Bills ran between the tackles 26 times for 101 yards.
The Pats defense had their best game of the year on runs up the middle.
You need to get your eyeballs tested.
Big time
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:09 pm

George1963 wrote:
guppy wrote:
guppy wrote:

162 yards.
On 39 carries.
4.1 yards per carry.
Big time.
Yeah.

Big time. 

Yeah. 

For good reason.

Well, that's your opinion, and while we all know that you're the only one here on what you've decided is the unicorns and rainbows happy news only Patriots fan-boy board who's allowed to have one of those, according to NFL.com the Bengals ran 18 times between the tackles for 54 yards.
Last week the Falcons ran 9 times for 51.
The week before the Bucs ran 12 times for 53
The Jets did it 23 times for 92 yards.
In week one the Bills ran between the tackles 26 times for 101 yards.
You need to get your eyeballs tested.
Big time

I haven't seen the stat "runs between the tackles" on  nfl.com.  Where can I find it?

If you say the Bengals ran between the tackles 18 times for 54 yards, that means, by subtraction from the total rushing yards, that they ran 21 times for 108 yards "outside the tackles".   Where do I go to find the breakdown of these rushing numbers "between the tackles" and "outside the tackles" on nfl.com?

Last edited by guppy on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:52 pm

George1963 wrote:

So you're saying they actually did better with Wilfork out of there?  And that since Cincy gashed them for 162 total on the ground, which is well above what they've given up on average prior to that game (105), then they must have had their worst game of the season on outside containment.  Is that what happened?

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:31 am

I haven't seen the stat "runs between the tackles" on  nfl.com.  Where can I find it?

If you say the Bengals ran between the tackles 18 times for 54 yards, that means, by subtraction from the total rushing yards, that they ran 21 times for 108 yards "outside the tackles".   Where do I go to find the breakdown of these rushing numbers "between the tackles" and "outside the tackles" on nfl.com?

Go through the play by play on the game book.   They put middle, guard, tackle, or end on every run.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:59 am

guppy wrote:
George1963 wrote:

So you're saying they actually did better with Wilfork out of there?  And that since Cincy gashed them for 162 total on the ground, which is well above what they've given up on average prior to that game (105), then they must have had their worst game of the season on outside containment.  Is that what happened?

They gave up well above the average number of yards on well above the average number of carries. It's not that hard to understand
They also gave up more of their yards in the second half than in any game this year.  Any theories on why that happened?
Worst game in outside containment?
Against Cincy 67% of their rushing yards allowed were tackle-out.
Atlanta 12%
Tampa 45%
Jets  25%
Bills 24%
There's a couple of different way to interpret that, but the most obvious is that the outside looked like a better bet to the Bengals than it did to those other teams.
I never said Vince was a bad player or that losing him meant nothing. I said it wouldn't be as catastrophic as it would have been 4 or 5 years ago.
It wasn't.
You got a hair across your ass and thought you'd found something to pick at. You were wrong. Let it go.
And I'll just say pre-emptivley in case the Saints roll up 200 yards this weekend;
That's what happens in blowouts.
Teams start to run.
Most of them anyway.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:35 am

George1963 wrote:I haven't seen the stat "runs between the tackles" on  nfl.com.  Where can I find it?

Go through the play by play on the game book.   They put middle, guard, tackle, or end on every run.

So its something you have to go figure out by adding numbers up?  Those numbers are not just stated for us, we actually have to do some work to figure them out?

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:48 am

George1963 wrote:

You got a hair across your ass and thought you'd found something to pick at. You were wrong. Let it go.

Fine.  But in general, you don't mind if I question your statements from time to time rather than just accept them whole hog totally on faith do you?  Because speaking of wanting to pick at things, by no means do I have a monopoly on that around here.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Some stats to me are created due to the so many media venues that fans have to be drawn to as customers.

The stat "sack" by the way is a good one, albeit recent.

In the 80s, in baseball a stat was created, "game winning home run".  I remember in 1986, the Mets' Keith Hernandez hit a home run , bases empty in the first inning.  The Mets won 1-0, and of course it will be in the books detailing how, they categorized it into a baseball stat.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:16 pm

LRJets wrote:Some stats to me are created due to the so many media venues that fans have to be drawn to as customers.

The stat "sack" by the way is a good one, albeit recent.

In the 80s, in baseball a stat was created, "game winning home run".  I remember in 1986, the Mets' Keith Hernandez hit a home run , bases empty in the first inning.  The Mets won 1-0, and of course it will be in the books detailing how, they categorized it into a baseball stat.
I saw a funny NFL stat when Manning left the Colts. They put every stat they could think of in the Indy Star including a list of all his 4th quarter game winning drives. There was one I didn't remember. It was fairly recent and in a game I remembered, I just didn't recall a game winning drive against the niners in 2009 so I looked it up.
There it was. 22 yard TD pass to Wayne to win the game.
On the first play of the fourth quarter.
Thrown by Joe Addai.
Fourth quarter, come from behind, game winning drive #40 for Peyton Manning.
Nice.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Heard a surprising factoid today, could also be a stat.

Last night Geno Smith was only the second rookie in the 43 year old hstory of Monday Night Football to win on the road.
The other?  Dan Marino.

If I were asked the number, I'd probably put it in the  teens.  
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:56 pm

LRJets wrote:Heard a surprising factoid today, could also be a stat.

Last night Geno Smith was only the second rookie in the 43 year old hstory of Monday Night Football to win on the road.
The other?  Dan Marino.

If I were asked the number, I'd probably put it in the  teens.  
I would have too, but it makes sense when you think of it. Starting rookie QBs are usually high draft picks. High draft picks go to lousy teams. Lousy teams don't usually get MNF games.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next