Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vince Young cut

+2
duck
MB20
6 posters

Go down

Vince Young cut Empty Vince Young cut

Post by MB20 Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:18 am

What a clusterfuck our backup QB situation has turned into. Anything happens to Rodgers (Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid) and we'd be a 3-win team. JFC

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Vince Young cut Empty Re: Vince Young cut

Post by duck Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:57 am

MB20 wrote:What a clusterfuck our backup QB situation has turned into. Anything happens to Rodgers (Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid) and we'd be a 3-win team. JFC

I'm dumbfounded.  B.J. Coleman???

We're not going to sign anyone else either because it would take that guy several games to familiarize himself with our offense.

WTF???
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:45 pm

cobb is the #2
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:57 pm

They'll probably have to bring some guys in to try out. Coleman is not an NFL QB. At this stage he's in the Ryan Leaf category.
Will this mean we'll get another scrap heaper? Matt Leinart? Tavaris Jackson? Kyle Orton? Josh McCown? Tebow!!!!??
Gee Wizz...they might just as well call #4.

The 9ers would love nothing better than to knock ARod out in the first series and our season is over.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:15 pm

duck wrote:
MB20 wrote:What a clusterfuck our backup QB situation has turned into. Anything happens to Rodgers (Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid) and we'd be a 3-win team. JFC

We're not going to sign anyone else either because it would take that guy several games to familiarize himself with our offense.

WTF???
So we keep Starks and cut Alex Green? This might be one of the rare times where HD, you, me, and JnC might all be in accord.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:50 pm

milani wrote:
duck wrote:

WTF???
So we keep Starks and cut Alex Green? This might be one of the rare times where HD, you, me, and JnC might all be in accord.
Unbelievable.  Honestly...as I've regularly pointed out--TT has had his void in decision-making...  I don't pretend to have the information pipeline at my disposal he has--but clearly--the man is slipping.  Anyone who finds the logic in cutting Vince Young over BJ Coleman (who could easily be planted on the practice squad) and sending Alex Green packing in order to keep James Starks is just a bitch in the world of both talent eval and overall just plain decision making...  Send me a postcard about the sweet ass you had yesterday...what I see today doesn't turn my head.

Sooner or later it happens to even the best of us...  If Mark Murphy were not a completely worthless unit of carbon, he would look at the past two years of decision-making by Thompson and offer him the position of Exec Director of Pro Personnel (focusing on the draft) or retirement.  John Schneider should have rightfully been moved into that role and TT moved aside.  Way too many blown opportunities and way too may suspect decisions that turn out warranted in their suspicion since the super bowl and even before.  Marshawn Lynch was so mind-bogglingly idiotic that I just simply can't comprehend--and that was just the start of the tidy-bowl swirl...

Fatty's shortcomings were once mitigated by youthful obesity and a GM who could nail a Ryan Pickett when good fortune made them available.  Now you've got a fatty who overthinks his way around his belt size and an over-the-hill albino who doesn't have the juice to suffer the prospect anymore of being a fucking winner...

10-6 and one/out my friends.  This team is regressing and the reasons are very obvious.  The best QB the NFL and they are milking that bitch to nothing more than their own limp-dicked complacency.

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:16 am

_HD_ wrote:
milani wrote:
duck wrote:

WTF???
Unbelievable.  Honestly...as I've regularly pointed out--TT has had his void in decision-making...  I don't pretend to have the information pipeline at my disposal he has--but clearly--the man is slipping.  Anyone who finds the logic in cutting Vince Young over BJ Coleman (who could easily be planted on the practice squad) and sending Alex Green packing in order to keep James Starks is just a bitch in the world of both talent eval and overall just plain decision making...  Send me a postcard about the sweet ass you had yesterday...what I see today doesn't turn my head.

Sooner or later it happens to even the best of us...  If Mark Murphy were not a completely worthless unit of carbon, he would look at the past two years of decision-making by Thompson and offer him the position of Exec Director of Pro Personnel (focusing on the draft) or retirement.  John Schneider should have rightfully been moved into that role and TT moved aside.  Way too many blown opportunities and way too may suspect decisions that turn out warranted in their suspicion since the super bowl and even before.  Marshawn Lynch was so mind-bogglingly idiotic that I just simply can't comprehend--and that was just the start of the tidy-bowl swirl...

Fatty's shortcomings were once mitigated by youthful obesity and a GM who could nail a Ryan Pickett when good fortune made them available.  Now you've got a fatty who overthinks his way around his belt size and an over-the-hill albino who doesn't have the juice to suffer the prospect anymore of being a fucking winner...

10-6 and one/out my friends.  This team is regressing and the reasons are very obvious.  The best QB the NFL and they are milking that bitch to nothing more than their own limp-dicked complacency.

I still reserve judgment on TT based on his exemplary draft record, the fact that he has built a perennial contender which is difficult to do in the cap era, and the fact that he stewarded us to a Lombardi Trophy -- something no one has done since Ron Wolf in 1996.  Plus as you say, we don't have access to the information pipeline at his disposal.  I also realize that it's far easier to play Monday morning QB and judge a man's decisions after the fact and without fully comprehending the parameters within which he can operate.

However, I find myself often scratching my head too.

This recent interview with TT on Packers.com didn't make me feel any more comfortable either.  He hemmed and hawed, stammered and stuttered, and repeatedly asked reporters what the question was.  I realize he doesn't have a great media presence, nor does he have to to be a good GM, but this press conference was strikingly bad.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:34 am

Niners are favored by about 4.5 points.   TT's only hope is that the D comes up big Sunday and the offensive line stays together for the duration of the game........with Starks magically coming back to 2010 playoff form (Starks is #1 on the depth chart........do you believe that??).   We have a great punter and QB to win the field position game.  It is now time for Finley and Hawk to step up consistently. 

The Vince Young thing perplexes the hell out of me too.   I could see Vince coming in and keep the ball moving down the field......no problem there.  Very tenuous situation at back up QB.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:58 am

_HD_ wrote:
milani wrote:
duck wrote:

WTF???

That complacency comment I made the other day, Duck? This is exactly what I meant. Their organizational strategy has basically devolved into "Fuck it- we have Aaron Rodgers."

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:29 am

TT takes the blame for Vince Young not making the team. If he had signed him last April he may have had more time to learn the offense and work out with the team. Vince does not have the best passing mechanics but a 15-20 yard run now and then can eliminate the 3 and outs that most back ups experience.
So now we sign Seneca Wallace, a true journeyman back up ala Zeke Bratkowski. But how long will it take him to learn our offense?
In Zeke's day the Packer offense was so simple even a caveman could learn it.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:44 am

MB20 wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
milani wrote:
duck wrote:

WTF???

That complacency comment I made the other day, Duck? This is exactly what I meant. Their organizational strategy has basically devolved into "Fuck it- we have Aaron Rodgers."
Look, I'm as baffled and distressed at some of TT's moves (and, more often, failures to move) as anyone... but I don't believe the root cause is complacency.  Even in the rambling interview he gave yesterday, he repeatedly stressed that he was (in effect) pursuing every tangent and exhausting every lead to "make the Packers better" at every position.  Now, I don't exactly buy that, but I don't think he's cut engines and turned into a slacker because we have the best QB in the game.

TT surely must understand that having the best QB in the game is no guarantee of a Lombardi Trophy.  Heck for perhaps 75-80% of the last two decades, Green Bay has had the luxury of having the best QB in the game and what do we have to show?  One SB win under Favre and another under Rodgers.  Even while acknowledging a couple of Favre's boneheaded gifts, the fact of the matter is that crappy defense and weak coaching were greater reasons we didn't get more out of #4.  Similarly, Rodgers probably should have brought home another title in 2011 if it wasn't for a spectacularly bad defense.  The bottom line is that any idiot can see you need more than just the best QB in the game.

I think it's hasty and shallow to dismiss the seeming blitheness of some of TT's failures to act as complacency.  I'm sure his decisions are well considered.  I think, more to the point, as we've discussed earlier, he is unduly committed to his formula of "draft and develop."

Having said all that, I am very perplexed at what is going on.  On the surface level anyway, it looks like he's letting some talent slip through his hands.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:47 am

milani wrote:TT takes the blame for Vince Young not making the team. If he had signed him last April he may have had more time to learn the offense and work out with the team. Vince does not have the best passing mechanics but a 15-20 yard run now and then can eliminate the 3 and outs that most back ups experience.
So now we sign Seneca Wallace, a true journeyman back up ala Zeke Bratkowski. But how long will it take him to learn our offense?
In Zeke's day the Packer offense was so simple even a caveman could learn it.

We signed Seneca Wallace?  Good.  He's a legit back up.  Certainly better than Coleman and arguably better than Young.  Obviously TT had such a move in mind when he unloaded Young.

I feel a little better now.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Interesting read.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:04 pm

I think, more to the point, as we've discussed earlier, he is unduly committed to his formula of "draft and develop."

Wow.  Here's an interesting statistic I just read in Ketchman's column on Packers.com:  51 out of the 53 players on the Green Bay roster have been with only the Packers.

That says it all to me.  TT is committed to "home grown" players.

Well, I must acknowledge Green Bay does an excellent job in developing players.  Seems like every year some second or third year player really blossoms.  However, the inflexibility of such a system and the forfeiture of glaringly obvious player acquisitions such as Lynch is just plain stupid.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:13 pm

duck wrote:
MB20 wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
milani wrote:
duck wrote:

WTF???

Look, I'm as baffled and distressed at some of TT's moves (and, more often, failures to move) as anyone... but I don't believe the root cause is complacency.  Even in the rambling interview he gave yesterday, he repeatedly stressed that he was (in effect) pursuing every tangent and exhausting every lead to "make the Packers better" at every position.  Now, I don't exactly buy that, but I don't think he's cut engines and turned into a slacker because we have the best QB in the game.

TT surely must understand that having the best QB in the game is no guarantee of a Lombardi Trophy.  Heck for perhaps 75-80% of the last two decades, Green Bay has had the luxury of having the best QB in the game and what do we have to show?  One SB win under Favre and another under Rodgers.  Even while acknowledging a couple of Favre's boneheaded gifts, the fact of the matter is that crappy defense and weak coaching were greater reasons we didn't get more out of #4.  Similarly, Rodgers probably should have brought home another title in 2011 if it wasn't for a spectacularly bad defense.  The bottom line is that any idiot can see you need more than just the best QB in the game.

I think it's hasty and shallow to dismiss the seeming blitheness of some of TT's failures to act as complacency.  I'm sure his decisions are well considered.  I think, more to the point, as we've discussed earlier, he is unduly committed to his formula of "draft and develop."

Having said all that, I am very perplexed at what is going on.  On the surface level anyway, it looks like he's letting some talent slip through his hands.
Packers cut B.J. Coleman, Aaron Rodgers currently has no backup
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 2, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Getty Images
And then there was one: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is the only quarterback on the Packers’ 53-man roster.
The Packers [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] quarterback [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports. With the Packers having previously released [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], they’re now down to only Rodgers on the 53-man roster. Quarterback [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is on the practice squad.

Packers sign Seneca Wallace to back up Aaron Rodgers
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 2, 2013, 10:13 AM EDT
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] AP
When the Packers cut [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], the only backup quarterback on their 53-man roster, we wondered who [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]‘ backup would be. It didn’t take long to find out the answer: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Wallace signed with the Packers today, Ed Werder of ESPN reports.
As the Packers prepare for their Week One meeting with the 49ers, they now have two quarterbacks who can run the 49ers’ offense to help their defense prepare: Both Wallace and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], who’s on the Packers’ practice squad, were with the 49ers until last week.
Wallace left the 49ers under strange circumstances, with an initial report that he was retiring quickly refuted by Wallace himself. Wallace said that he believes the only reason the 49ers signed him was that they wanted to use his presence as leverage to squeeze backup quarterback [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] into accepting a pay cut.

You're failing to accept reality, Duck...if you can't see how this whole scenario doesn't reak of flat out amateurism.  You wait until the eve of the opener to decide that no one on your fucking roster is good enough to be a backup QB so then start feverishly sifting through the shit pile to find a kernal of corn?!   WTF?

Secondly--the explanation for Young's release was because he wasn't brought in early enough to give him a fighting chance to learn the playbook.  Yeah?  Well, tell me then--will Seneca Wallace or this other stiff be expected to be up to speed in an additional month's time beyond where Young would expected to be over that period--already having a 4 week headstart?

Finally, if you think a career hack like Seneca Wallace is *arguably* a better prospect at QB than a head-straight Vince Young...than the word is your blissful oyster.  I want to see you on Dancing with the Stars next in your spandex bike shorts twirling Rosie O'Donnell in a red-print dress that looks like Granny's curtain pattern... I'll clap like a motherfucker for you, my friend... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:58 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
MB20 wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
milani wrote:
duck wrote:

WTF???

And then there was one: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is the only quarterback on the Packers’ 53-man roster.
The Packers [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] quarterback [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports. With the Packers having previously released [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], they’re now down to only Rodgers on the 53-man roster. Quarterback [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is on the practice squad.

When the Packers cut [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], the only backup quarterback on their 53-man roster, we wondered who [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]‘ backup would be. It didn’t take long to find out the answer: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
As the Packers prepare for their Week One meeting with the 49ers, they now have two quarterbacks who can run the 49ers’ offense to help their defense prepare: Both Wallace and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], who’s on the Packers’ practice squad, were with the 49ers until last week.
Wallace left the 49ers under strange circumstances, with an initial report that he was retiring quickly refuted by Wallace himself. Wallace said that he believes the only reason the 49ers signed him was that they wanted to use his presence as leverage to squeeze backup quarterback [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] into accepting a pay cut.

You're failing to accept reality, Duck...if you can't see how this whole scenario doesn't reak of flat out amateurism.  You wait until the eve of the opener to decide that no one on your fucking roster is good enough to be a backup QB so then start feverishly sifting through the shit pile to find a kernal of corn?!   WTF?

Secondly--the explanation for Young's release was because he wasn't brought in early enough to give him a fighting chance to learn the playbook.  Yeah?  Well, tell me then--will Seneca Wallace or this other stiff be expected to be up to speed in an additional month's time beyond where Young would expected to be over that period--already having a 4 week headstart?

Finally, if you think a career hack like Seneca Wallace is *arguably* a better prospect at QB than a head-straight Vince Young...than the word is your blissful oyster.  I want to see you on Dancing with the Stars next in your spandex bike shorts twirling Rosie O'Donnell in a red-print dress that looks like Granny's curtain pattern... I'll clap like a motherfucker for you, my friend... Laughing
Yes indeed.........a totally stupid-assed amateur CIRCUS going on in Titletown!    Watch TT fire Wallace after the Niners game and pick up Vic So'oto off of his couch to get ready for RG3.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:26 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
MB20 wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
milani wrote:
duck wrote:

WTF???

I think you're misunderstanding my point.  As I said from the get go, I was dumbfounded at how this thing played out.  Clearly this is not TT's finest hour and even he acknowledges that.  Read the article from Cheesehead TV I posted.  The entire back up QB situation has been a fiasco.  I know that.  I'm just saying that I'm glad we got a back up for Rodgers with some NFL experience and that Wallace is better than Coleman.

You bet I'm concerned that it will take him weeks to get up to speed with the Packers' complex playbook.  If Rodgers goes down in September, we are fucked.

The difference is that I'm not crying like Chicken Little about it and am trying to maintain a bigger perspective on TT.  Keep in mind that in the example you like to use about Lynch (on which I AGREE with you, by the way) 30 other NFL GMs besides TT passed on him too.  It's easy for fans to call GMs and coaches idiots but often they have to juggle numerous variables that we might not even be aware of.

I'm still overall happy with the product TT and MM are putting on the field and it will take a marked decline in W/L performance to convince me otherwise.  Let's see how the Packers do this season and we'll go from there...
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:06 pm

Ted Thompson was Director of Player Personnel under Holmgren at Seattle when they drafted Seneca Wallace.
Holmgren, when he left to become President of the Cleveland Browns, quickly traded for Wallace.

Fair to assume that outside of Flynn and Hasselbeck there's not another legit back up QB in the entire NFL who would know our system better than Seneca Wallace. All circumstances considered, signing him is a decent move. 

The big fail on Thompson's part was in not drafting a good QB in April and in drafting and trying to develop Harrell to begin with. They should've cut bait with him last year. This was a genuine failure.

As for Vince Young, I saw enough of him to know he sucked balls. Not going to cry about him being cut for a damn second.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:29 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Ted Thompson was Director of Player Personnel under Holmgren at Seattle when they drafted Seneca Wallace.
Holmgren, when he left to become President of the Cleveland Browns, quickly traded for Wallace.

Fair to assume that outside of Flynn and Hasselbeck there's not another legit back up QB in the entire NFL who would know our system better than Seneca Wallace. All circumstances considered, signing him is a decent move. 

The big fail on Thompson's part was in not drafting a good QB in April and in drafting and trying to develop Harrell to begin with. They should've cut bait with him last year. This was a genuine failure.

As for Vince Young, I saw enough of him to know he sucked balls. Not going to cry about him being cut for a damn second.
A guy like Harrell who puts up big nos. in college should show something after being on someone's roster within 3 years in the NFL. If that never occurred you know the player is a bust. And in this case you could see that last year both in preseason and when he could not make a simple handoff at the goal line so our QB could get one play off to ice his eye. He should have been gone in 2012. Seneca Wallace is another Charlie Batch. They are lifelong backups. And that is actually a good thing. They know they have a steady job and could capitalize with a good team by getting a SB ring without even taking a snap.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:39 pm

milani wrote:Seneca Wallace is another Charlie Batch. They are lifelong backups. And that is actually a good thing. 
Agreed. Wallace was the best option of a bad situation. 

A lot of teams can't win with their 1st string QB. Hardly ANY team can win with their back up QB (and yes, that doesn't excuse TT for the current shitshow going on with the #2QB position). 

Number 12 goes down long term we ain't winning squat anyway...at least with Wallace we have someone who won't shit themselves the first time they walk on the field for a hand off.

Looking at you Harrell.Suspect
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down