Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bishop released

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bishop released - Page 2 Empty Re: Bishop released

Post by duck Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:02 pm

milani wrote:Lots of teams learn the hard way. Like when we failed to sign Bryce Paup in the 90's or when the 9ers let Ricky Waters go.
 Except for 2010 we have been a team that wins with offense and that will have to be our identity for a few more generations.

Getting rid of players is a hit and miss proposition.  Every once in a while you regret letting someone go but, more often than not, a new player steps up and the beat goes on.  In the salary cap era you simply can't hang on to everyone; it's a game of replacement.  You have to identify and take care of your core players.  Everyone else is expendable.  The worst thing you can do is hang on to veterans too long because eventually they become priced out of their range of productivity.  Youth = cheap labor.  That's the way to go with all but your top ten or twelve players.

This is not meant to address the Bishop situation because there is an ongoing debate about his true value.  Instead, I'm just outlining postulates that I think are necessary for effective team building.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Never forget the forgotten man..........Red Mack !!!!!!!!!!!!
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Go back the last 15 years and count how many ex-Packers become Vikings. And then count how many ex-Vikings become Packers. The only ex-Viking that springs to mind for me is an unknown who stole a fumbled ball at the bottom of the pile in a 2004 game against the purple when we coughed it up in the last minute after a kickoff. His recovery actually helped us get the walk off win that day 34-31. Anyone know his name?
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:30 pm

milani wrote:Go back the last 15 years and count how many ex-Packers become Vikings. And then count how many ex-Vikings become Packers. The only ex-Viking that springs to mind for me is an unknown who stole a fumbled ball at the bottom of the pile in a 2004 game against the purple when we coughed it up in the last minute after a kickoff. His recovery actually helped us get the walk off win that day 34-31. Anyone know his name?

Travis Jervey?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Actually Gilbert Brown was a Viqueen refugee...

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:08 am

_HD_ wrote:Actually Gilbert Brown was a Viqueen refugee...

Why the fuck DO the Vikings gobble up so many used-up former Packers, anyway?

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:35 am

MB20 wrote:

...it's all based on a dysfunctional/desperate thought pattern commonly applied by perpetual losers that goes like this:  If I take someone/something associated with success (like Packer players) and I make them mine--then I'm associated with success, too!  By extension then, (since my purple ass has nothing else) that makes me a winner just the same!!

The basis that former Packers choose the Vikings beyond all limits of reason is just the flip side of that same coin:  I'm associated with success and you aren't.  I'm here for you to bow your loser ass down and kiss my successful ass and if, by chance, success now finds you here--it will only be because it has followed my successful ass west--so get down and kiss my successful ass once again for your chance at the good fortune I now bring your loser, snakebitten asses... It's Christmas time for you, motherfuckers!  Now lick Santa's goodie sack.  LOL santa

Last edited by _HD_ on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:48 am

_HD_ wrote:
MB20 wrote:

...it's all based on a dysfunctional/desperate thought pattern commonly applied by perpetual losers that goes like this:  If I take someone/something associated with success (like Packer players) and I make them mine--then I'm associated with success, too!  By extension then, (since my purple ass has nothing else) that makes me a winner just the same!!

The basis that former Packers choose the Vikings beyond all limits of reason is just the flip side of that same coin:  I'm associated with success and you aren't.  I'm here for you to bow your loser ass down and kiss my successful ass and if, by chance, success now finds you here--it will only be because it has followed my successful ass west--so get down and kiss my successful ass once again for your chance at the good fortune I now bring your loser, snakebitten asses... It's Christmas time for you, motherfuckers!  LOL santa

Yeah, I know that, but I guess my question was really directed at otherwise intelligent guys like Rick Spielman. It amazes me that they can't see this dynamic at play.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:15 am

MB20 wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
MB20 wrote:

The basis that former Packers choose the Vikings beyond all limits of reason is just the flip side of that same coin:  I'm associated with success and you aren't.  I'm here for you to bow your loser ass down and kiss my successful ass and if, by chance, success now finds you here--it will only be because it has followed my successful ass west--so get down and kiss my successful ass once again for your chance at the good fortune I now bring your loser, snakebitten asses... It's Christmas time for you, motherfuckers!  LOL santa

Yeah, I know that, but I guess my question was really directed at otherwise intelligent guys like Rick Spielman. It amazes me that they can't see this dynamic at play.

Very Happy  What else does he have?   Seriously?  Blow it up on the microfiche.  There are two types of people on this planet--winners and those stocked with all kinds of different life-long voodoo mind tricks to help themselves and their doltus friends think they are...  It's why you look around and you see people everywhere cherishing and associating themselves with symbols of success produced by someone else...  Resumes are stocked with it...  Well, yes--I suppose if you want to get technical about it--it was a (buzzphrase alert) collaborative effort.  BAAAAAAP!  Look at the time.  They're waiting to do my toes at the Ringo Fuzzspa...  Make it a good one, huh?    rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Short answer is few if any GMs have what it takes to fill or remove gaps.   Per Closing the Gap by Willie Davis:  Lombardi surprised a lot of people jettisoning Bill Howton from Titletown. And picking up Tunnell, Jordan, Davis, Wood, Quinlan, Thurston, and keeping jokester McGee, were calculated moves that resulted in a quick championship.   TT, whoever the Vikings, Bears, etc  GMs are do not have the 'touch' Lombardi had.   Wolf was the exception not the rule.    Sherman was the rule....not the exception (right Milani?). Vikings picking up Packers is 1) desperation,, and 2) to fill seats in Minneapolis.  GO PACK GO
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:33 pm

RingoCStarrQB wrote:Short answer is few if any GMs have what it takes to fill or remove gaps.   Per Closing the Gap by Willie Davis:  Lombardi surprised a lot of people jettisoning Bill Howton from Titletown. And picking up Tunnell, Jordan, Davis, Wood, Quinlan, Thurston, and keeping jokester McGee, were calculated moves that resulted in a quick championship.   TT, whoever the Vikings, Bears, etc  GMs are do not have the 'touch' Lombardi had.   Wolf was the exception not the rule.    Sherman was the rule....not the exception (right Milani?). Vikings picking up Packers is 1) desperation,, and 2) to fill seats in Minneapolis.  GO PACK GO

Yes, Sherman was the rule. The player he picked up on waivers from the Vikings in 2004 was none other than Ben Steele, a name that will live in infamy. Pretty much a useless player, Sherman gambled on him as a ST player who could not do much of anything else. So his one claim to fame in the NFL was stealing the ball from a Viking who was at the bottom of the pile and convincing the refs it was our ball. To think we won a division in part due to some no name former Viking who stole the ball ala Havlicheck. Too bad we had no defense that year.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:08 am

Packers just didn't want to gamble on Bishop's health. It was a severe injury..not just a hamstring tear, but a complete seperation from the bone. Not really a money issue....Pack still $16 million under cap.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2