Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Packers ready to part ways with ILB Desmond Bishop

5 posters

Go down

Packers ready to part ways with ILB Desmond Bishop Empty Packers ready to part ways with ILB Desmond Bishop

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:49 pm

Packers ready to part ways with ILB Desmond Bishop

By [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of the Journal Sentinel
Updated: 9:32 p.m.

Green Bay --- It appears the Green Bay Packers won't be giving Desmond Bishop a chance [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in his notebook this season.
According to a NFL source, the team will release the inside linebacker if they're unable to restructure his deal or pull off a trade. Bishop is currently set to make $3.464 million this season, part of the four-year, $19 million deal he signed in January 2011.
The source indicated that this is "number's game"-related more than injury-related. Bishop did not fail a physical.
Either way, Bishop tore hamstring in the preseason last August, missed the entire 2012 season and the Packers didn't take any chances through free agency. General manager Ted Thompson re-signed Brad Jones at $11.75 million over three years and also restructured A.J. Hawk's deal.
With both being paid as starters, a logjam was created at inside linebacker. Now, Bishop may be the odd man out.
Last month, Bishop indicated that he'd be ready to participate by training camp.
"My injury side is perfect," Bishop said in May. "It's 100%. But I have little nicks and knacks here just from being out and trying to get back in. So we'll see how I feel, but I don't really want to rush it. There's no point in rushing it right now."
Through OTA's and minicamp, Bishop had been doing conditioning off to the side and he remained optimistic for August. Yet the Packers, apparently, are set to move on with Hawk, Jones and multiple other young players at inside linebacker. Green Bay also drafted Terrell Manning last year, Sam Barrington this year and released another inside linebacker coming off of a season-ending injury (D.J. Smith).
When healthy, Bishop has been a presence in the middle of Green Bay's defenses. In 2011, Bishop was arguably the best defensive player on the team, finishing with 115 tackles, five sacks and two forced fumbles in 13 games.
Now, he may be forced to chase those Defensive Player of the Year hopes elsewhere

Back to top Go down

Packers ready to part ways with ILB Desmond Bishop Empty Re: Packers ready to part ways with ILB Desmond Bishop

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:06 pm

NJPackfan wrote:Packers ready to part ways with ILB Desmond Bishop

By [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of the Journal Sentinel
Updated: 9:32 p.m.

Green Bay --- It appears the Green Bay Packers won't be giving Desmond Bishop a chance [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in his notebook this season.
According to a NFL source, the team will release the inside linebacker if they're unable to restructure his deal or pull off a trade. Bishop is currently set to make $3.464 million this season, part of the four-year, $19 million deal he signed in January 2011.
The source indicated that this is "number's game"-related more than injury-related. Bishop did not fail a physical.
Either way, Bishop tore hamstring in the preseason last August, missed the entire 2012 season and the Packers didn't take any chances through free agency. General manager Ted Thompson re-signed Brad Jones at $11.75 million over three years and also restructured A.J. Hawk's deal.
With both being paid as starters, a logjam was created at inside linebacker. Now, Bishop may be the odd man out.
Last month, Bishop indicated that he'd be ready to participate by training camp.
"My injury side is perfect," Bishop said in May. "It's 100%. But I have little nicks and knacks here just from being out and trying to get back in. So we'll see how I feel, but I don't really want to rush it. There's no point in rushing it right now."
Through OTA's and minicamp, Bishop had been doing conditioning off to the side and he remained optimistic for August. Yet the Packers, apparently, are set to move on with Hawk, Jones and multiple other young players at inside linebacker. Green Bay also drafted Terrell Manning last year, Sam Barrington this year and released another inside linebacker coming off of a season-ending injury (D.J. Smith).
When healthy, Bishop has been a presence in the middle of Green Bay's defenses. In 2011, Bishop was arguably the best defensive player on the team, finishing with 115 tackles, five sacks and two forced fumbles in 13 games.
Now, he may be forced to chase those Defensive Player of the Year hopes elsewhere

Fuckin' idiots hammer one of the only playmakers on the D when he isn't being paid excessively--yet were content to pay the Star Dancer $2.6M to stand on the sideline and John Kuhn $5.2M over last season and this with nary a whimper... This is an article that should be about Mason Crosby--being paid ridiculously for even a good kicker at $3.15M--not a reasonably paid consistent playmaker making about the same--chomping at the bit to get back in there and kick ass...

Can we get John Schneider back, please?...

Back to top Go down

Packers ready to part ways with ILB Desmond Bishop Empty Re: Packers ready to part ways with ILB Desmond Bishop

Post by duck Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:04 am

I'm not buying this.  Reading between the lines, I think it means Bishop is damaged goods.

You don't let a player of his calibre -- and in a position of need for the Packers -- walk.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:23 pm

duck wrote:I'm not buying this.  Reading between the lines, I think it means Bishop is damaged goods.

You don't let a player of his calibre -- and in a position of need for the Packers -- walk.

I'd agree. The 3.4 mil is not much for what Bishop has done and would normally do. If this were the case it would have to be injury. Since when is Brad Jones or Hawk better than Bishop. I still believe he'll be there this season.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:19 pm

milani wrote:
duck wrote:I'm not buying this.  Reading between the lines, I think it means Bishop is damaged goods.

I'd agree. The 3.4 mil is not much for what Bishop has done and would normally do. If this were the case it would have to be injury. Since when is Brad Jones or Hawk better than Bishop. I still believe he'll be there this season.

Doubtful.  McKenzie is extremely conservative in his clearance assessments and Bishop has been cleared to play.  Bishop claims he's 100% as well, and, if he wasn't--there'd be an advantage to the Pack financially of reaching an injury settlement with him and waiving him off the physically unable to perform list... No--what they're trying to do is squeeze him on the money at the risk of releasing him if he doesn't agree...   As I said previously--right idea/bad choice of player to do it on.  They'll take an immediate $1.6M dead money cap hit the minute he's released...and that's more than they could ever get him to cut his pay from $3.4M to...  It's an ill-conceived application all the way around...and bush league, IMO, to pimp a guy over an injury he sustained while fighting your war on your battlefield before even having a chance to step back on the field to prove whether a pay cut is justified...especially at the very reasonable $3.4M to start with.  I'd do what Bishop is and tell them to go fuck...or better yet say--go talk first to Mason Crosby, Tramon Williams and John Kuhn (all WAY underperforming their contracts)--then we'll talk.  Bishop is a beast who happened to get hurt--so give the guy a fucking chance before you start trimming his shorties.  Like I said--uncharacteristically bush league... Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Yeah......it is a shitty move by Packers management.  No wonder Jennings and Favre left LOL LOL.  Recall how they treated Ryan Grant too.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Yep... TT doesn't often get these situations wrong. No fucking way does he let 2010 Desmond Bishop walk at that price. I have to believe 2010 Desmond Bishop ain't walkin' through that door.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:33 pm

_HD_ wrote:
milani wrote:

Doubtful.  McKenzie is extremely conservative in his clearance assessments and Bishop has been cleared to play.  Bishop claims he's 100% as well, and, if he wasn't--there'd be an advantage to the Pack financially of reaching an injury settlement with him and waiving him off the physically unable to perform list... No--what they're trying to do is squeeze him on the money at the risk of releasing him if he doesn't agree...   As I said previously--right idea/bad choice of player to do it on.  They'll take an immediate $1.6M dead money cap hit the minute he's released...and that's more than they could ever get him to cut his pay from $3.4M to...  It's an ill-conceived application all the way around...and bush league, IMO, to pimp a guy over an injury he sustained while fighting your war on your battlefield before even having a chance to step back on the field to prove whether a pay cut is justified...especially at the very reasonable $3.4M to start with.  I'd do what Bishop is and tell them to go fuck...or better yet say--go talk first to Mason Crosby, Tramon Williams and John Kuhn (all WAY underperforming their contracts)--then we'll talk.  Bishop is a beast who happened to get hurt--so give the guy a fucking chance before you start trimming his shorties.  Like I said--uncharacteristically bush league... Cool

Well, what you say about McKenzie's conservatism and Bishop's assertion that he's healthy may be true but at the same time, as MB just noted, TT usually doesn't get this shit wrong and the Packers generally don't fuck with their players like this.

Sorry, I still think that it's an injury issue here.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Packers ready to part ways with ILB Desmond Bishop Empty Bishop injury

Post by ffaralli Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:36 am

It has to be the injury. I don't think they are jerking him around for 3.4m, that's chump change for a player of his caliber.

But, how do they know? Has he been in any contact drills or scrimmages?

Unless they see how poorly he is moving....although I usually don't beat up on Hawk (he is what he is), Bishop brings a pop and physicality that no one else on this defense seems to have.

He is an inspirational leader as well, especially now with Woodson gone.

FF

ffaralli

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:51 am

Yeah.........but on the other hand TT & Co. allowed Zombo and Walden to be on the squad.   Heck.......Poppinga may have been equally if not more serviceable.   Wait a minute.........Favregettabout the term 'serviceable'.......what we need are top flight LBs......all 3 or 4 of them.   Not this mediocre package.    Packers management should be striving for a combination of LBs equal to or greater than Currie, Forester, Nitschke...........Caffey, Robinson, Nitschke..........Lambert, Ham, Russell.............Singletary, Wilson, Marshall...........Taylor, Carson, ??.   Instead what do we have.............Matthews, Hawk and shit!!!!!!!!!!!!    Shit Shit Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!  And Capers is still up in the booth nonetheless, puppeteering this linebacking corp!   Linebacker is where the plays are made.  We have ssen that so many times both for the good of the Packers and the bad of the Packers.    What the hell is going on up there in Titletown?   Between this and that........what the hell?   C'mon man C'mon man C'mon man.   Jones better really be something special this season or the whole damn thing is going down.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down