Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DB's not only defensive problem...

3 posters

Go down

DB's not only defensive problem... Empty DB's not only defensive problem...

Post by SharBar57 Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:02 am

I didn't see much improvement in any phase of the defense during the entire pre-season! In fact, imo, they have regressed. Suh must have been saving himself for the start of the regular season; he sure didn't show much at all. VandenBosh (sp) didn't even play and imo I think Willie Young would be a better fit than he would any day. Nick Fairley? Well, he didn't impress either. Everyone seems to think that this is a very good DL...I sure don't get that impression at all. It will be up to the offense to win the games again this year. I sure don't think the defense is going to stop anybody. That's how I look at it, anyway. They will be lucky to duplicate last season's record. 8-8 or 9-6 and don't make the playoffs!

Sharon

P.S. I will be more than happy to eat my words at the end of the season! LOL!!

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

DB's not only defensive problem... Empty Re: DB's not only defensive problem...

Post by meiden Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:55 am

SharBar57 wrote:I didn't see much improvement in any phase of the defense during the entire pre-season! In fact, imo, they have regressed. Suh must have been saving himself for the start of the regular season; he sure didn't show much at all. VandenBosh (sp) didn't even play and imo I think Willie Young would be a better fit than he would any day. Nick Fairley? Well, he didn't impress either. Everyone seems to think that this is a very good DL...I sure don't get that impression at all. It will be up to the offense to win the games again this year. I sure don't think the defense is going to stop anybody. That's how I look at it, anyway. They will be lucky to duplicate last season's record. 8-8 or 9-6 and don't make the playoffs!

Sharon

P.S. I will be more than happy to eat my words at the end of the season! LOL!!

I can't disagree with anything said. Your title said it all! I'd add that the LBs couldn't defend the run to save their lives in the last two preseason games and we already know that they are average at best in pass protection. I still say the DL is the best group on the defense but you are dead on when saying they didn't impress.

At best this is a 20th ranked kind of defense...at worst it is near the bottom. The offense better be at 30 ppg again this year. I just think it is embarassing that Mayhew and Schwartz keep trying to sell us that the DL and a bunch of mediocre players can still be a solid defense.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:47 am

well boys and girls, my take is this:

based on the preseason, no one could tell anything about anything. the starting units only played enough to work up a sweat.

yes, the secondary is weak but they were weak last season. gone are barry and smith with is addition by subtraction. we need to get delmas and houston back on the field but the secondary has improved.

and don't think that the DL isn't going to be the best that we have ever seen in leo uniforms. the LBers are solid.

the defense is going to surprise a lot of fans. the offense? they will be awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawildboar Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:30 pm

Pre-season's worth reared it's ugly head when the Lions went 4 & 0 and backed it up with a 0 & 16 campaign...It's criminal that the NFL charges full price for that mess. The DL made just enough plays for me to be satisfied, I worry about their stopping the run though and a running QB? T-R-O-U-B-L-E!
Dawildboar
Dawildboar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:41 am

wildboar, you are wise (i know that i have said as much many times). this is especially true when you agree with me.

chill out boys and girls. the bongoman has predicted a perfect season with good reason. okay, i always predict a perfect season but until wrong, i am right!!!!!

go lions!!!! get that secondary right and you are very close to the perfect team. can't everyone see that?

take the over on the first game. free money!

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:56 am

bongoman wrote:wildboar, you are wise (i know that i have said as much many times). this is especially true when you agree with me.

chill out boys and girls. the bongoman has predicted a perfect season with good reason. okay, i always predict a perfect season but until wrong, i am right!!!!!

go lions!!!! get that secondary right and you are very close to the perfect team. can't everyone see that?

take the over on the first game. free money!

Unfortunately for me Bongo I can't see that the Lions are close to the perfect team. When you get two As and then an F you end up with a score closer to a C then an A. This isn't like the secondary is a C grade...it is an F grade. I don't buy the addition by subtraction. Wright, Smith and Berry were better talents/experience than Bentley, Lacey and Florence. If I have a team full of choir boys with Wendling's talent I will lose more games than I win even with an amazing locker room. All reports had the Lions 0-16 team having a great lockerroom and incredible effort.

I look at it this way to see how close to perfect the Lions are... assume we are shooting for A being perfect and F being a 0 win team. Also assume an A being 4 points, B 3, C 2, D 1, F 0. Here is how I'd rank them...

OL: C - decent pass blocking team, horrific run blocking team, nice depth at tackle and zero depth at interior OL. A for pass blocking, F for run blocking result... C and 2 points

WR: A and 4 points. Not sure much reasoning required

TE: A - 4 points.

RB: C - 2 points. I know some would rate higher but Leshoure just doesn't have the experience and hasn't proven anything and Smith doesn't stay healty. Should both stay healthy and Best returns, add a point.

QB: A - 4

DL: A - 4 points. It's arguable that this should be lower given they didn't play all that well in the last half of the season and all of preseason. They have all the talent for an A grade and they prove they are as dominating as their hype.

LB: C - 2 points. This is really an average group and very little experieince behind the starters.

DB: D - 1 points. The best DB is probably in the ranking of a #2 guy. Houston is lower first 30 in coverage and lower second 30 in run support. And he is by far the best DB on the team. Delmas, who can't stay healthy, takes bad angles, lets his technique slip to make the big hit, and can't cover his shadow. He is a second tier safety in my book in spite of his hype. Then there is a BIG drop off. The next best we get is a rookie third rounder who is smallish. Bentley may end up being good but not this year. Coleman, Barnes, and Florence are all castoffs and are worse than the guys they replace. Spievey is horrible and regressing and Lacey is a mediocre backup. This group has little top side talent and even less depth.

STs: D - 1 point. Hanson has shown a little weakness last year and into the preseason. He will still likely be top 15 but slipping. The rest of the group is very weak. Can't find a punter worth a darn and coverage teams have been really bad. Will the kids and a couple of FAs (Osgood) help? Maybe and that could help improve this grade.

Management/Coaching: B - Mayhew and Schwartz have done an admirable job getting this team to a competitive place. They've done well in keeping consistency and solidifying the offense. Still, the lack of work on the defensive side keeps their grade below the A mark.

Total: 26 points for an average of 2.9. Add a point or two for possible improvement at RB and STs and they are a B team. Now I know Bongo was in his pre-season hype mode and looking for perfection but I'll settle for another 10 win season. My fear is the defense won't get us there.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down