Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If the Jets are out on Jones-Drew, who's in?

5 posters

Go down

If the Jets are out on Jones-Drew, who's in? Empty If the Jets are out on Jones-Drew, who's in?

Post by Phil2010 Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:12 pm

The New York Jets and general manager Mike Tannenbaum haven't been the type to back down from a gamble, but they're bowing out of the Maurice Jones-Drew sweepstakes early.
According to the New York Daily News, the Jets have ruled out a deal for the disgruntled Jaguars' running back, who is holding out for a new contract with two years remaining on his current deal.
The Jets kicked the tires on a trade, but the price tag -- cumulative value of a trade package including draft picks and possibly a veteran plus a new deal likely to be in the four-year, $32 million range -- is considered prohibitive.
Jones-Drew led the NFL in rushing last season with 1,606 yards. The 27-year-old had 386 touches -- 343 carries, 43 receptions -- last season and has topped 300 each of the past three seasons.
The Jets have Shonn Greene as their primary ballcarrier, but there are doubts as to whether Greene has the ability to be a difference-maker as the featured back. He's a solid inside runner but hasn't shown the speed or elusiveness to make defenders miss and most defenses can stop him without adding an extra defender to their base seven-man front.
It's not outside the realm of possibility that Tannenbaum would swing for the fences. It's in his managerial DNA. See the heaven-and-earth deal in 2009 to acquire the fifth overall pick and select USC junior Mark Sanchez, the 22-year-old who sold the franchise on his promise despite his up-and-down -- and brief -- career as a starter for the Trojans. It cost the Jets the 17th and 52nd picks in that draft along with three veterans. Tannenbaum also spent a draft pick for Santonio Holmes, invested another this spring to bring in Tim Tebow. Holmes' off-field troubles made him a major risk. He hasn't exactly been a good soldier for Gang Green.
Tebow was almost certain to be released by the Broncos, but the Jets gave up a seventh-round pick and $2.53 million salary advance to stay out of a bidding war with the Jaguars.
At the moment, the Jets have a bigger concern -- namely how to get better at right tackle -- they'll need to throw future draft picks at before Sept. 9.
Jones-Drew, in a span of 12 hours Wednesday, reportedly said he was open for a trade, and then that he was ready to make concessions to work out a deal with the Jaguars. He's open, and available, but his chances for relocation could be fading if even the Jets don't want to pay up to bring in a proven, durable back with at least two good years left.
Teams weighing the investment in Jones-Drew realize by holding their own assets, they're likely to get a greater return at a lower cost.
Consider Trent Richardson, the No. 3 overall pick and six years the junior of Jones-Drew, signed a four-year, $20.4 million contract. By the time that deal expires, Richardson will be 26, Jones-Drew 32.
Cowboys starter DeMarco Murray, a third-rounder, signed a four-year, $2.97 million deal in July 2011.
The draft isn't a guarantee, to be sure, but it's a proven method for building a winning roster. The Giants are one of the best in the business at doing it with home-grown talent. The Jets -- not so much.
Jones-Drew is represented by Adisa Bakari, who also has Bears running back Matt Forte' in his stable of players and was partially responsible for an acrimonious 18-month contract saga between Forte' and Chicago management that ended with Forte taking a four-year, $32 million contract in July. Forte is 25 and was entering the final year of his contract.
The Jaguars have shown no sign of budging in the standoff and publicly are supporting Rashad Jennings, who recently fired Bakari. Jennings, who has three career starts and just 123 carries, would likely see significant time early in the season even if Jones-Drew joins the team in time for the Sept. 9 opener against the Vikings.
Jacksonville has a new coaching staff, including head coach Mike Mularkey, and Jones-Drew hasn't even met the coach. It stands to reason he'll need time to assimilate the playbook before he's back in the starting lineup.
Jones-Drew is scheduled to make $9.4 million in the final two years of the five-year, $31 million deal he signed in 2008. Adjusting a contract with two years remaining isn't uncommon -- but the Jaguars are wary of giving in to a player who draws a line in the sand, fearing a queue of veterans might soon form behind Jones-Drew with players looking to restructure their own deals.
In the meantime, the Jaguars are listening when teams call to inquire about Jones-Drew, who is incurring daily fines nearing roughly $1 million including his forfeited offseason bonus.
"There's more than 50 players under contract," said owner Shad Kahn, who purchased the Jaguars last year. "There are other people under contract in management, coaches. Does that mean if you do it for one, you do it for everybody? Where do you draw the line?"
Among potential suitors for Jones-Drew, the Lions face salary cap restrictions and wouldn't want to stretch their payroll with other key veterans in line for new deals including Matt Stafford. The Chargers, who could be without Ryan Mathews (collarbone) for the first two or three games, have been rumored as a potential landing spot but general manager A.J. Smith hasn't been the type to invest heavily in veterans he suspects to be nearing the down slope of their careers.

Phil2010

Back to top Go down

If the Jets are out on Jones-Drew, who's in? Empty Re: If the Jets are out on Jones-Drew, who's in?

Post by LRJets Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:37 pm

Stephen A.Smith proposed something intriguing this morning. Tebow and Shonn Greene for MJD.

MJD's problem was the Jaguars were running him into the ground. With him and McKnight, he won't have to have 300+ carries a season.

He's averaged 4.3 yards per carry in his NFL career.

I like that proposal.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

If the Jets are out on Jones-Drew, who's in? Empty Re: If the Jets are out on Jones-Drew, who's in?

Post by Phil2010 Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:39 pm

I would go along with that.

Phil2010

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Phil2010 wrote:I would go along with that.

Jets have brought in a lot of big name FA's in the last five years, Favre, Taylor, Edwards, Faneca, Cromartie, Tomlinson, Burress and Holmes. None have really worked out with the possible exception of Cromartie, although he has never regained pro-bowl status while here. The track record isn't good, so I'm glad they're not going that route.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Jets have brought in a lot of big name FA's in the last five years, Favre, Taylor, Edwards, Faneca, Cromartie, Tomlinson, Burress and Holmes. None have really worked out with the possible exception of Cromartie, although he has never regained pro-bowl status while here. The track record isn't good, so I'm glad they're not going that route. (Wass)

Wass. all the above named became Jets at the end, or near the end of their careers. MJD is 27. He should, barring a severe injury, have 4-5 good years left.

The Jets bringing in the above reminded me of the early Mets. They entered the National League the same year as the Houston Astros (Colt .45s). They brought in young players to develop for the most part such as Joe Morgan, Rusty Staub, etc.

The Mets from Day 1 brought in big names ready for pasture. Ken Boyer, Richie Ashburn, Willie Mays, Roger Craig,etc.

Mets front office (Joan Payson, George Weiss) for whatever reason (Yankees?) were more interested in fielding a team that would fill seats in the now, as opposed to cultivating a team for the future. We all know where that went.

MJD is still in his prime and could be a major contibutor from snap one.

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil2010 Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:38 pm

wassejet wrote:
Phil2010 wrote:I would go along with that.

Jets have brought in a lot of big name FA's in the last five years, Favre, Taylor, Edwards, Faneca, Cromartie, Tomlinson, Burress and Holmes. None have really worked out with the possible exception of Cromartie, although he has never regained pro-bowl status while here. The track record isn't good, so I'm glad they're not going that route.

I'm not to sure the track record is as bad as you think, Favre was a complete waste of time, Taylor we got what we paid for, someone at the end of his Career Just like Tomlinson, Edward's like what we got and thought they should have kept him, Burress I thought worked out all things considering. Cro wasn't a bad pick-up and Holmes the jury is still out on him, lets not forget he helped us get to the championship game. My biggest problem with picking a free-agent or trade for a one year rental (Favre & Burress) and specially when draft picks are part of the deal. It just hurts the chemistry of the team IMHO, and while I like Burress, having him one year hurts Sanchez's development.

Phil2010

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:24 am

Phil2010 wrote:
I'm not to sure the track record is as bad as you think, Favre was a complete waste of time, Taylor we got what we paid for, someone at the end of his Career Just like Tomlinson, Edward's like what we got and thought they should have kept him, Burress I thought worked out all things considering. Cro wasn't a bad pick-up and Holmes the jury is still out on him, lets not forget he helped us get to the championship game. My biggest problem with picking a free-agent or trade for a one year rental (Favre & Burress) and specially when draft picks are part of the deal. It just hurts the chemistry of the team IMHO, and while I like Burress, having him one year hurts Sanchez's development.

I think you mostly made my point, why bring in these guys who can't perform up to the level they had established. It's a recipe for disappointment. Agree about Edwards, but for whatever their reasons, in the end they canned him and it wasn't worth what was paid. As for Burress, the expectation had to be that he would do for Sanchez what he did for Eli, but obviously he did not. Actually, I though Burress did well just to stay healthy given his circumstances. Also agree about Holmes, but that blowup at the end of last season leaves a lot to be desired. The one guy I forgot about is Thomas Jones. That was a great pick up for the Jets, but there again, they should have kept him.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:17 pm

LRJets wrote:Stephen A.Smith proposed something intriguing this morning. Tebow and Shonn Greene for MJD.

MJD's problem was the Jaguars were running him into the ground. With him and McKnight, he won't have to have 300+ carries a season.

I like that proposal.

I like it too, but the problem is Greene and Tebow are not enough. Jags will want at least the Jets 1st rd pick. Maybe Greene and the Jets 2nd rd pick will be enough. Then there's the cap issue that has to be addressed. At this point another option would be to offer Holmes straight up for MJD. But I realize that latter is doubtful.
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:39 pm

NY JETS1 wrote:
LRJets wrote:Stephen A.Smith proposed something intriguing this morning. Tebow and Shonn Greene for MJD.

I like that proposal.

I like it too, but the problem is Greene and Tebow are not enough. Jags will want at least the Jets 1st rd pick. Maybe Greene and the Jets 2nd rd pick will be enough. Then there's the cap issue that has to be addressed. At this point another option would be to offer Holmes straight up for MJD. But I realize that latter is doubtful.

Ooofah. If the Jets were to do something like that (Holmes for MJD) then Just End The Season, would ring truer than ever. Without Holmes we have the worst receiving corps in the game. Even with Holmes we are pretty low on that scale. Hopefully if the Jets don't make a move on a WR, Hill matures quick out there. I love what he brings in the near future, but we are really thin out there in the now.

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:55 pm

I like it too, but the problem is Greene and Tebow are not enough. Jags will want at least the Jets 1st rd pick. Maybe Greene and the Jets 2nd rd pick will be enough. Then there's the cap issue that has to be addressed. At this point another option would be to offer Holmes straight up for MJD. But I realize that latter is doubtful.[/quote]

Ooofah. If the Jets were to do something like that (Holmes for MJD) then Just End The Season, would ring truer than ever. Without Holmes we have the worst receiving corps in the game. Even with Holmes we are pretty low on that scale. Hopefully if the Jets don't make a move on a WR, Hill matures quick out there. I love what he brings in the near future, but we are really thin out there in the now.[/quote]

If the trade was made the Jets would need to use their TE's more. I know he's banged up right now but there are some games where it looks like that Keller is basically ignored. As for Holmes, they don't throw enough to him anyway. Now with the ground and pound approach they might throw to him even less. Don't get me wrong. I don't question Holmes' talent. But with a Holmes for MJD trade the Jets would rid themselves of a head case and at the same time add a big time playmaking RB that fits their style of play.
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:05 pm

As much as I'd love to see him wearing green, we don't have the cap room to pay MJD what he wants to be paid...

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Sparano loves a two TE offense. With Josh Baker out for the year on a definite infraction to the knee, tore his ACL. (As you know, no penalty was called). Keller is it and we need another useful TE.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishJets1129 Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:44 pm

I seen jets are intested in RB, Jeff Damps I think I got his name right he went on drafted this pass nfl drafts.
IrishJets1129
IrishJets1129
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishJets1129 Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:48 pm

I seen that the jets are interested in RB, Jeff Damps I think I have his name right he went on drafted this pass NFL Drafts he a small back.
IrishJets1129
IrishJets1129
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down