Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kick assamunga bitch!

Go down

Kick assamunga bitch! Empty Kick assamunga bitch!

Post by Guest Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Report: Johnny Jolly applies for reinstatement

Posted by Darin Gantt on June 19, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] AP
Former Packers defensive tackle Johnny Jolly is a free man, and now he wants to be employed again.

Jolly told Brad Biggs of NationalFootballPost.com that he’s been sober for eight months and that he’s [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to the NFL, sending Commissioner Roger Goodell a letter last week.

The 29-year-old defensive tackle started every game for the Packers in 2008 and 2009 before a string of arrests for illegal possession of codeine, which he said he was addicted to. He also said he was high while watching his Packers teammates win Super Bowl XLV.

“That was most heavy feeling to watch those guys, that was bad,” Jolly told Biggs. “I sat there, it was like, ‘Man, I don’t understand. There is no way I shouldn’t be out there helping those guys go to war.’ They came out with the victory and I was so happy for them.”

Jolly said he hopes to rejoin the Packers if he’s reinstated, and pledged to make things right given a second chance.

“I am dedicated to really make a change in my life and come back and be a positive role model,” he said. “I think I have a great shot at going back to those guys. They’re a great organization. The coaches are very good, the players are good. I know they have supported me 100 percent.

“I want to say that would be a dream come true, but I made it in the NFL before. So, I would say it would be like another dream. It would be a journey and going back to do the things I love and showing everybody you can make mistakes but it’s the way you correct the things you’ve done wrong. I want to make the Packers look good if they want to take me back or not.”

Jolly was [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in May, after serving six months of a six-year sentence. We wish him the best of luck in his recovery, whether he gets back to the NFL or not.

...Get a healthy, sober and determined Johnny Jolly back in the mix on the DL--and I'm starting to become encouraged that, along with the other additions this off-season--this can become a D again that is something more than just a playoff disappointment waiting to happen... Immediate reinstatement is not just the right thing to do politically for Goodell...it's just the right thing to do... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Kick assamunga bitch! Empty Re: Kick assamunga bitch!

Post by duck Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:56 pm

Given the circumstances surrounding Jolly's case and the precedent set by Vick, I cannot imagine how Goodell would not quickly reinstate him.

I agree with your optimism regarding our D. There are so many positives now. The return of Jolly could be one but obviously the strong defensive draft is the biggest plus. One other factor that many people overlook is the possible development of several sophomore players. I've heard that D.J. Smith and particularly Davon House have been outstanding in the OTAs.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:15 pm

duck wrote:Given the circumstances surrounding Jolly's case and the precedent set by Vick, I cannot imagine how Goodell would not quickly reinstate him.

I agree with your optimism regarding our D. There are so many positives now. The return of Jolly could be one but obviously the strong defensive draft is the biggest plus. One other factor that many people overlook is the possible development of several sophomore players. I've heard that D.J. Smith and particularly Davon House have been outstanding in the OTAs.

A healthy and determined 29 y/o Jolly would be HUGE... That's a PROVEN player, right there... The others are merely prospects--some offering significant potential, which is cause for optimism--but still a far cry from anything worth getting Rooferlistic in your panties over... Notwithstanding JnC's laundry bill from last season over the perfect record run (meaningless), as was discussed throughout the season--that D was no less than abysmal...and even far worse than appearing to most--since it was the good fortune of the takeaway that artificially covered the strench and gave just enough to the light's out O to win the games when they mattered relatively little--and the lack thereof that exposed the house of shit when it mattered most...

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Points duly noted, HD. I wasn't being Rooferistic anyway. I tend to be slow to move my position in either direction. Call it "cautious optimism" on my part.

Regarding the mere prospects... what I like is that there are so many of them. Granted, some of them will turn out to be busts. However, by the law of averages, bouyed by history of success Green Bay has had targeting and developing young players, I cannot but help that believe some of them will make significant contributions to our defense.

Our D was 32nd last year... rock bottom. There's nowhere to go but up. And if we can get a halfway decent defense to back up our potent offense, watch out! If our D can somehow climb back to the level it was in 2010, we have an even more serious Super Bowl contender.

Of course all of this is mere conjecture and all it would take is one or two key injuries to turn everything into a pile of shit.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:14 pm

duck wrote:Points duly noted, HD. I wasn't being Rooferistic anyway. I tend to be slow to move my position in either direction. Call it "cautious optimism" on my part.

Regarding the mere prospects... what I like is that there are so many of them. Granted, some of them will turn out to be busts. However, by the law of averages, bouyed by history of success Green Bay has had targeting and developing young players, I cannot but help that believe some of them will make significant contributions to our defense.

Our D was 32nd last year... rock bottom. There's nowhere to go but up. And if we can get a halfway decent defense to back up our potent offense, watch out! If our D can somehow climb back to the level it was in 2010, we have an even more serious Super Bowl contender.

Of course all of this is mere conjecture and all it would take is one or two key injuries to turn everything into a pile of shit.

It's time for Capers to show up and prove who the real Capers is... 1X can be a good child doing a bad deed. 2X is just a bad child... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:22 pm

I put the 2009 playoff loss in the desert squarely on Capers, but I think he was fucked last year when Neal didn't pan out, Williams hurt his shoulder and Collins got hurt. Yeah, I know they recovered from injuries in 2010, but this defense was critically damaged. No pass rush except Clay, and no ability to play aggressive bump-and-run, which is the Packers' style. Capers tried out every sort of defense (base, and a variety of blitzes), but nothing worked for him.

Is there anything you think he could have done that would have worked??
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:09 pm

duck wrote:I put the 2009 playoff loss in the desert squarely on Capers, but I think he was fucked last year when Neal didn't pan out, Williams hurt his shoulder and Collins got hurt. Yeah, I know they recovered from injuries in 2010, but this defense was critically damaged. No pass rush except Clay, and no ability to play aggressive bump-and-run, which is the Packers' style. Capers tried out every sort of defense (base, and a variety of blitzes), but nothing worked for him.

Is there anything you think he could have done that would have worked??

Yes--taking a harder line in tolerating missed tackles and blown assignments. Changing the STYLE of D is the product of a cerebral problem solver (like Capers)...and typically that is the best approach when the issues are systemic in nature. However, in this case--the system has proven successful. These were widespread execution breakdowns. What good is having a player in there because of the name on the back of his jersey? It's all about showing up... You can't show up when the game clock is ticking--then you're NOT a player--put somebody young and hungry in who may make mistakes--but at least they're there to play...

Capers and McCarthy erred in being too excusing of the horrific breakdowns in the D--thinking that the O savior would bail them out yet again. I cringed watching McCarthy's post-game press conferences... The result for this team was easy to properly call... Yes, TT blew it in replacing a couple of key players on D--and that was entirely foreseeable as well, as we discussed at the time....but systemic INDIVIDUAL breakdowns like what happened with the D last year just don't happen one season after winning the superbowl...not by a well-coached unit... Look at the performance pattern throughout Capers career. It's consistent drop-off at nearly always the same time. Another season anywhere close to last--and Capers needs to go. The fuckstick was busy dicking off with the recipe every week when what he needed to do was get more out of his ingredients. Get fucking Gregg Williams on the phone and remind Goodell how much he doesn't want those, shall we say compromising photos released when he's deciding his abrupt reinstatement... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Well, it's no coincidence that one of the things McCarthy has promised in 2012 is better tackling. No question poor tackling and blown assignments cost our D in 2011.

However, that is to a large extent a function of the poorer personnel Green Bay had to put on the field. Yes, I recall even Woodson whiffing on a few tackles he normally would make but, but my sense is that the real Keystone Cops performances were given by Shields, Williams, Bush and Peprah -- and of course, Williams was hurt, Shields was likely a one-year wonder who never really had the chops for full time duty at corner, and Bush and Peprah are marginal players at best. When you lose an all-pro safety in Collins, you lose a lot, and one of those things is solid tackling.

Our group of linebackers proved to be deficient in talent too. Other than Matthews what did we have? Nothing, really. The young guys, Smith and Francois, flashed some talent, mostly in coverage, but never demonstrated any serious tackling skills; and Hawk regressed to the point where he became a liability. Hawk was so late hitting the holes most of the time, I thought he was doing bong hits with Randy.

There was a noticeable lack of team speed on this Packer defense and that, as much as anything else, contributed to the missed tackles and blown assignments. You can't very well cover a player, much less tackle him, if you can't even get near him.

I don't think Capers and McCarthy lightly dismissed the issues on our defense, blithely assuming the offense would bail them out; I think they were concerned as hell about it, but were limited in their options.

A few Lombardi-esque tantrums probably wouldn't have hurt, but old school rants like that have less impact on the modern players.

Basically, we just didn't have the horses.

If we get the horses, I think everything is going to be fine.

Last edited by duck on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Too many bong hits with Randy)
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down