Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REVIS MAY HOLDOUT?

5 posters

Go down

REVIS MAY HOLDOUT? Empty REVIS MAY HOLDOUT?

Post by LRJets Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:13 am

Been reading tid bits about a round 2 Revis holdout. Know what? Let him! I could see if he wasn't paid top dollar for being the best, but to threaten the team's delicate equilibrium? Good fans always want to see top players get fair contracts, but this crap puts me off. He earned over $25 million the last two seasons with freightloads of more money coming this way.

I know football is a business with crushed dreams and disappointments, but so is this economy. So I hope his threat is an idle one.

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

REVIS MAY HOLDOUT? Empty Re: REVIS MAY HOLDOUT?

Post by NY JETS1 Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:10 am

LRJets wrote:Been reading tid bits about a round 2 Revis holdout. Know what? Let him! I could see if he wasn't paid top dollar for being the best, but to threaten the team's delicate equilibrium? Good fans always want to see top players get fair contracts, but this crap puts me off. He earned over $25 million the last two seasons with freightloads of more money coming this way.

I know football is a business with crushed dreams and disappointments, but so is this economy. So I hope his threat is an idle one.

You're not the only one that's pissed off. You know that he just held out a couple of years ago. He now looks greedy. Is this going to be an ongoing thing with him? There's a point where he's going to be a distraction. Best CB in the NFL or not, if he's going to be a head case he needs to be traded.
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:20 pm

You're not the only one that's pissed off. You know that he just held out a couple of years ago. He now looks greedy. Is this going to be an ongoing thing with him? There's a point where he's going to be a distraction. Best CB in the NFL or not, if he's going to be a head case he needs to be traded.

As much as I know the both of us have bled green for years, yes I am pissed off! Fans emit emotion days after a loss- - while I know it's a business, it sometimes seems strange we have more loyalty than the participants.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RickC Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:01 am

LRJets wrote:You're not the only one that's pissed off. You know that he just held out a couple of years ago. He now looks greedy. Is this going to be an ongoing thing with him? There's a point where he's going to be a distraction. Best CB in the NFL or not, if he's going to be a head case he needs to be traded.

As much as I know the both of us have bled green for years, yes I am pissed off! Fans emit emotion days after a loss- - while I know it's a business, it sometimes seems strange we have more loyalty than the participants.

Revis has to do what's right for Revis. The second he can't play he'll be cut loose and be earning nothing. These guys put their health on the line and can have their careers ended in a moment. They should fight for every penny they can get, when they can get it. They only have leverage for a short period time. As much as I hate seeing him miss time with the team I don't blame him a bit.
RickC
RickC

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:07 am

Revis has to do what's right for Revis. The second he can't play he'll be cut loose and be earning nothing. These guys put their health on the line and can have their careers ended in a moment. They should fight for every penny they can get, when they can get it. They only have leverage for a short period time. As much as I hate seeing him miss time with the team I don't blame him a bit.

My post can be read two ways. If he wants to hold out, let him. Hard for me to defend the second highest paid corner (possibly any defensive player). If he was getting shafted, I'd raise that issue as well.
Selfishly speaking, I was a Jet before he was born, and hopefully after he retires.

My interest lies in the Jets as a team.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RickC Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:19 am

LRJets wrote:Revis has to do what's right for Revis. The second he can't play he'll be cut loose and be earning nothing. These guys put their health on the line and can have their careers ended in a moment. They should fight for every penny they can get, when they can get it. They only have leverage for a short period time. As much as I hate seeing him miss time with the team I don't blame him a bit.

My post can be read two ways. If he wants to hold out, let him. Hard for me to defend the second highest paid corner (possibly any defensive player). If he was getting shafted, I'd raise that issue as well.
Selfishly speaking, I was a Jet before he was born, and hopefully after he retires.

My interest lies in the Jets as a team.

And that's where your interest should be Lloyd but Revis' interest should lie with Revis. This is a tough business and players have to look out for themselves when business is the question. Once the business is done then the team comes first.

Football, just like any other form of entertainment, has the money guys trying to extract the most from the talent and pay out the the least amount possible. Also, the money guys also will always look to screw the talent out money any chance they get.
RickC
RickC

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:36 am

And that's where your interest should be Lloyd but Revis' interest should lie with Revis. This is a tough business and players have to look out for themselves when business is the question. Once the business is done then the team comes first.

Football, just like any other form of entertainment, has the money guys trying to extract the most from the talent and pay out the the least amount possible. Also, the money guys also will always look to screw the talent out money any chance they get.

Rick, your point is well taken. I feel for the players who don't voluntarily take a pay cut, but do it as a "take it or be let go" (traded, waived,cut) as opposed to the ones in the more elite pay class and do it to help the team as Chad did a few seasons ago.
I realize this is a rough business both in its physicality and the business side. I just feel Revis held out two seasons ago, and either someone made a mistake in drawing up his contract opening up the door for a holdout again, or greed.
I realize he is getting top dollar because it's what the market will bear, but a threat to hold out? He wanted to be the top-salaried player at his position, and him and Aso are dollars away from each other, and millions from the next tier.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:45 pm

LRJets wrote:And that's where your interest should be Lloyd but Revis' interest should lie with Revis. This is a tough business and players have to look out for themselves when business is the question. Once the business is done then the team comes first.

Rick, your point is well taken. I feel for the players who don't voluntarily take a pay cut, but do it as a "take it or be let go" (traded, waived,cut) as opposed to the ones in the more elite pay class and do it to help the team as Chad did a few seasons ago.
I realize this is a rough business both in its physicality and the business side. I just feel Revis held out two seasons ago, and either someone made a mistake in drawing up his contract opening up the door for a holdout again, or greed.
I realize he is getting top dollar because it's what the market will bear, but a threat to hold out? He wanted to be the top-salaried player at his position, and him and Aso are dollars away from each other, and millions from the next tier.

Revis would have a point if he was leapfrogged in salary, but he wasn't. I liked Jenkins' comments on the matter:

Former Jet Kris Jenkins says it's time for Darrelle Revis to become a leader, not a holdout

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 12:30 PM Updated: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 3:51 PM

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]By [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]The Star-Ledger
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Share [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]John O'Boyle/The Star-LedgerFormer Jet defensive tackle Kris Jenkins said now is not the time for cornerback Darrelle Revis to holdout again. He believes it's time for Revis to step up as a leader.
Former Jets defensive tackle Kris Jenkins remembers playing with Darrelle Revis' uncle Sean Gilbert when he began his career with the Carolina Panthers. He saw the leadership qualities Gilbert exhibited firsthand.

Now retired, Jenkins joined the Jets towards the tail end of his life as a football player and said he saw similar qualities in Revis. Now, he says, is time for the shutdown cornerback to become that leader and not holdout because a contract dispute for the second time in three years.

Earlier this week, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]after signing a seven-year deal in 2010 following a holdout.

"I respect Revis, I respect the way that he plays the game," Jenkins said Wednesday night at the ESPN The Mag Pre-Draft Party in Manhattan. "I think he does have the heart of a defensive lineman in a cornerback's body. I know Revis always got to do what's best for him, what's best for his business, his brand, but in my opinion I think at the end of the day, he has to realize that he has to be a leader, he's that guy now.

"And regardless what's going on with Sanchez, Tebow all of these guys, when they step out on the field on that defense everybody's looking at him and there's no doubt in my mind that the offense is as well.

Jenkins believes this season is especially important for Revis to step up as a leader given how the 2011 season concluded.

"Him taking that time out especially with what happened last year with the locker situation with Santonio and the other receivers and all that, they need consistency right now. I think he has enough money. I think it's time for him to get out there and make it more than about just getting a dollar."

Jenkins didn't hesitate when asked what the Jets need and should aim for in the first round of the NFL Draft tonight.

"Offensive tackle. That's a no-brainer," he emphasized. "I really like Wayne Hunter, I think he's a stand up guy. He's like myself. He's about his family and he's about his home, unfortunately, for some people it can take a toll on you as far as what you need to do. And think that he has the potential, but I think that he definitely showed last year that it might be too big of a platform for him.

"I think that they need to either take the time to get somebody in the free agent market, but I think that they still need somebody young that can come in that can get ready to take over that spot. I think that if they had a bookend tackle opposite of D'Brickashaw [Ferguson] with what they have on the interior, it definitely gives them the type of line that they had when [Damien] Woody was there and everybody else."

As for the Tim Tebow experiment, Jenkins isn't convinced. As a former Jet, Jenkins said he hopes it works out but he's not so sure it will.

"I'm still a little reluctant to go that far right now," he said. "I think Tebow is a great motivator, he's a great leader and he can go out there enough to get the energy going. However, as far as Super Bowl or bust which has been the Jets' moniker the past couple of years, I mean Tebow going out there and really getting them that far, I don't think that his arm is capable of doing that."

Jenkins believes it will end up falling on Sanchez, in what will be a make-or-break-season for the fourth-year quarterback.

"The million dollar question to me is how does Sanchez handle this situation with his confidence being an issue and what he's put through last year, with him having a little bit of a rough patch, does he get over this hump? And does he take care of it like he needs to as a man? Or does he fold? And right now I want to see him get it, but I'm not 100 percent convinced that he's ready to take on the team yet. I don't know if Sanchez has that leadership type of capability."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:44 pm

I realize he is getting top dollar because it's what the market will bear, but a threat to hold out? He wanted to be the top-salaried player at his position, and him and Aso are dollars away from each other, and millions from the next tier.[/size]
[/quote]

After the Jets caved in the last time Revis said that he'd probably do it again in a couple of years, and here he is. I don't see anything admirable about a player signing a front-end loaded contract and then walking out after he gets the bonus money but before he finishes out on the signed deal.

The last time Revis held out after he got his big signing bonus, he came back out of shape and suffered a hamstring that may have hurt the Jet's chances. I probably should be glad about it, as it will help the Pats if he isn't playing. It rubs me the wrong way though.

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishJets1129 Wed May 02, 2012 11:00 am

I'm getting tried of hearing Revis as good as he is I would let Revis holdout as long as he want too this time there no way that the Jets should gives in this time. Even if the have to trade him next off season.
IrishJets1129
IrishJets1129
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by lirok Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Let his ass sit. Tired of his bullshit.
lirok
lirok

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Thu May 03, 2012 12:12 pm

lirok wrote:Let his ass sit. Tired of his bullshit.

I agree. The first time his contract was outdated. But now he's making big money.
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down