Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Draft

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2014 Draft Empty 2014 Draft

Post by wassejet Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:02 pm

I noticed a lot of mocks now have the Jets going for a cornerback in Round 1. It's about 50/50 WR/CB.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

2014 Draft Empty Re: 2014 Draft

Post by LRJets Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:58 pm

wassejet wrote:I noticed a lot of mocks now have the Jets going for a cornerback in Round 1. It's about 50/50 WR/CB.

We need both.   Decker cannot be #1 WR, as Milliner who finished stronger, cannot be the main CB.  That is my lingering doubt about Idzik, his non-action when the FA CBs were available. 
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:33 pm

LRJets wrote:

We need both.   Decker cannot be #1 WR, as Milliner who finished stronger, cannot be the main CB.  That is my lingering doubt about Idzik, his non-action when the FA CBs were available. 
When you buy out of panic, you usually overpay. That's why I'm not that upset Idzik didn't go after one of the FA CB's. Rather than a CB, if Kahlil Mack is there (not likely) or Anthony Barr (possible), I would go there rather than a CB, but for some reason Ryan loves CB's. Actually, I would seriously consider bundling this year's #1 next year's #1 plus throw in a two pick this year and get Clowney in a trade for the first pick. I've heard the Texans would like to move down and they don't need another pass rusher because they already have JJ Watt and B. Cushing. In addition, they don't need to draft at #1 to get a QB in this draft. Clowney's a once in 10 year talent, so I would do it. With him, the Jets wouldn't have to have a high talent level at DB. A guy like Clowney elevates the play of all 4 DB's because he makes the QB hurry and that's crucial to getting turnovers. Of course, since we are talking about the Jets, he'll probably end up being another Gholston, but I would still do it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:08 pm

wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:

When you buy out of panic, you usually overpay. That's why I'm not that upset Idzik didn't go after one of the FA CB's. Rather than a CB, if Kahlil Mack is there (not likely) or Anthony Barr (possible), I would go there rather than a CB, but for some reason Ryan loves CB's. Actually, I would seriously consider bundling this year's #1 next year's #1 plus throw in a two pick this year and get Clowney in a trade for the first pick. I've heard the Texans would like to move down and they don't need another pass rusher because they already have JJ Watt and B. Cushing. In addition, they don't need to draft at #1 to get a QB in this draft. Clowney's a once in 10 year talent, so I would do it. With him, the Jets wouldn't have to have a high talent level at DB. A guy like Clowney elevates the play of all 4 DB's because he makes the QB hurry and that's crucial to getting turnovers. Of course, since we are talking about the Jets, he'll probably end up being another Gholston, but I would still do it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I'd love to see Idzik "bundle" up a package for Clowney.  Not sure he has the "Tanny" in him?   If that would happen, he still can get a decent WR and other needs in the draft.
We play 2 tough games in 4 days.  We'll need something to keep the Pats and Broncos thinking about us, not two penciled-in wins.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:05 pm

wassejet wrote:I noticed a lot of mocks now have the Jets going for a cornerback in Round 1. It's about 50/50 WR/CB.
I saw one that had the Jets taking UCLA OLB A. Barr. 
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:09 pm

LRJets wrote:
wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:

I'd love to see Idzik "bundle" up a package for Clowney.  Not sure he has the "Tanny" in him?   If that would happen, he still can get a decent WR and other needs in the draft.
We play 2 tough games in 4 days.  We'll need something to keep the Pats and Broncos thinking about us, not two penciled-in wins.
Now you're talking pal! I would even be happy if they traded up for K. Mack. Rex could play him at either DE or OLB. Jets still need a better pass rush. 
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:04 pm

NY JETS1 wrote:
LRJets wrote:
wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:

Now you're talking pal! I would even be happy if they traded up for K. Mack. Rex could play him at either DE or OLB. Jets still need a better pass rush. 
Funny, I thought I'd get roasted for posting that, but I see others are thinking along the same line. 

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sun May 04, 2014 5:43 pm

Saw a segment this morning on Eric Ebron. Very impressive.  His drills.  His catching the ball, etc.

A lot of mocks have the Jets picking him at # 18.   I'd be surprised if he's around at 18, and pleasantly surprised if we take him.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Sun May 04, 2014 7:06 pm

LRJets wrote:Saw a segment this morning on Eric Ebron. Very impressive.  His drills.  His catching the ball, etc.

A lot of mocks have the Jets picking him at # 18.   I'd be surprised if he's around at 18, and pleasantly surprised if we take him.
Yeah he's one of those physical freak guys, a tight end with wide-out speed and skills. Not much of a blocker, but that's something he can learn. Not a bad pick for the Jets, but I heard the Giants like him too, and they pick at 12. The big question is: would he be worth moving up for?

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon May 05, 2014 4:34 am

wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:Saw a segment this morning on Eric Ebron. Very impressive.  His drills.  His catching the ball, etc.

Yeah he's one of those physical freak guys, a tight end with wide-out speed and skills. Not much of a blocker, but that's something he can learn. Not a bad pick for the Jets, but I heard the Giants like him too, and they pick at 12. The big question is: would he be worth moving up for?
After I posted, I read he is not a blocker.  I wouldn't move up for him.  I hear the name Cooks too as a possible.  Idzik plays it close to the vest, so we'll see.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Mon May 05, 2014 9:49 pm

LRJets wrote:

..... I hear the name Cooks too as a possible.  Idzik plays it close to the vest, so we'll see.

Brandin Cooks, Oregon U. He's a speedster, stretch the field, home run hitter type receiver a la DeSean Jackson. I can live with that pick too. There's no way anyone can tell how this draft, which seems to be a very talented one, is going to go, so I can't fault Idzik for not tipping his hand. I'm pretty sure he has no idea what the board will look like when the Jets pick. 

The way I see it is talent vs. need. While the Jets need both WR and DB, I think it's safe to say that the Jets need the DB more at this point. However, when it comes time for the Jets to pick, I feel the talent level at WR will be greater than the talent level at DB. So what do you do if you're Idzik?

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Tue May 06, 2014 10:39 am

Idzik, like most GMs (the 31 losing ones) will be criticised one way or the other. It comes with  the job.

Who has it tough is the one who picks Clowney or Mansiel.  Or doesn't pick them.
If it's not the right pick, it will mean their job.
-Mike Francesa
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Tue May 06, 2014 11:12 am

LRJets wrote:
Who has it tough is the one who picks Clowney or Mansiel.  Or doesn't pick them.
-Mike Francesa
Manziel yes, but not Clowney. I don't see how you can be a GM and not pick him unless, like Texas, you already have good pass rushers plus you get a trade offer you can't refuse. 

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Tue May 06, 2014 11:27 am

wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:
-Mike Francesa
Manziel yes, but not Clowney. I don't see how you can be a GM and not pick him unless, like Texas, you already have good pass rushers plus you get a trade offer you can't refuse. 
I think he is terriffic.  A lot of critics say he doesn't work hard on every play.  (Clowney).  Some pondered out loud what will he be like with millions in the bank?  Me, I'd take him in a minute.  Best def. player to come a long in the past 10 years or so.  Another LT?  It's  an insult to put his name with LT, probably the best def. player in history.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Tue May 06, 2014 5:09 pm

LRJets wrote:

I think he is terriffic.  A lot of critics say he doesn't work hard on every play.  (Clowney).  Some pondered out loud what will he be like with millions in the bank?  Me, I'd take him in a minute.  Best def. player to come a long in the past 10 years or so.  Another LT?  It's  an insult to put his name with LT, probably the best def. player in history.
I'm very excited about this draft. It's a deep draft and the Jets have 12 picks.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Wed May 07, 2014 2:15 pm

wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:

I'm very excited about this draft. It's a deep draft and the Jets have 12 picks.
That's enough picks to move up if they want. 
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Wed May 07, 2014 4:55 pm

NY JETS1 wrote:That's enough picks to move up if they want. 
Yes, but moving up in the first round will cost the Jets big (usually a second or third). I think there is enough talent in this draft where you don't have to move up. I know the Jets love to move up but sometimes it's a mistake. A few years ago the Jets traded a 6 and 7 to move up to the 5th round to take John (the terminator) Conner, a fullback. Can't imagine the thinking behind that move.    

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Wed May 07, 2014 5:14 pm

wassejet wrote:
Yes, but moving up in the first round will cost the Jets big (usually a second or third). I think there is enough talent in this draft where you don't have to move up. I know the Jets love to move up but sometimes it's a mistake. A few years ago the Jets traded a 6 and 7 to move up to the 5th round to take John (the terminator) Conner, a fullback. Can't imagine the thinking behind that move.    
It will cost the Jets but if they can get either Clowney or Mack it's worth it. The Jets still need a pass rush. With the Pass rush the Jets have now receivers are going to get open no matter who the CBs are.
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Wed May 07, 2014 5:51 pm

NY JETS1 wrote:It will cost the Jets but if they can get either Clowney or Mack it's worth it. The Jets still need a pass rush. With the Pass rush the Jets have now receivers are going to get open no matter who the CBs are.
I can't see the Jets moving that far up to take those two guys. For Clowney, he will be the No. 1 no matter who takes him. Mack will not be far behind (top 5 minimum). With so many other teams in between drooling to make a deal, I can't see how the Jets can offer a package better than those other teams. I'd love it to happen, but I don't think it will. The Jets pass rush isn't that bad, it just isn't elite. Clowney would make it elite for sure, but I'm not sure that Mack (a very good player) is in that class. If Anthony Barr is still on the board, I hope the Jets take him rather than a CB.

P.S. I was watching the NFL Network's Mock Draft last night. They had a different analyst selecting for the various teams. Marshall Faulk was drafting for the Jets and he took the OG from UCLA with the 18th pick. Thank God he's not our GM.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed May 07, 2014 6:11 pm

NY JETS1 wrote:
wassejet wrote:
It will cost the Jets but if they can get either Clowney or Mack it's worth it. The Jets still need a pass rush. With the Pass rush the Jets have now receivers are going to get open no matter who the CBs are.

I'd like to see the Jets make a splash in this draft.  What good are 12 picks if nobody of worth emerges?  You wind up cutting these players.  Take Belichick for example, he has been stockpiling d players for years.  The end result? It's all Brady.  BB is not the best personnel guy./  Probably his biggest weakness.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed May 07, 2014 7:36 pm

The headline I'd love to see!
JETS MOVE UP AND GET ODELL BECKHAM
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Wed May 07, 2014 8:36 pm

LRJets wrote:The headline I'd love to see!
But the Jets may not have to move up to get him. And if he's gone by 18, is Beckham that much better than Brandin Cooks or Marquise Lee? Look, if the Jets are in love with Beckham and they wanted to part with one of their 4th or 5th round picks to get him, then fine. There is a lot of value to be had in the late rounds of this draft so I wouldn't play loose with those picks, but I certainly would not part with a 2 or 3 to move up for Beckham.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Thu May 08, 2014 4:13 am

wassejet wrote:
But the Jets may not have to move up to get him. And if he's gone by 18, is Beckham that much better than Brandin Cooks or Marquise Lee? Look, if the Jets are in love with Beckham and they wanted to part with one of their 4th or 5th round picks to get him, then fine. There is a lot of value to be had in the late rounds of this draft so I wouldn't play loose with those picks, but I certainly would not part with a 2 or 3 to move up for Beckham.
Draft fatigue is setting in to all of us.
Marquise Lee was injured in 2013.  GMs hope for the 2012 version.  I want some homegrown talent, not these rentals.  Hope Idzik does good!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by NY JETS1 Thu May 08, 2014 10:56 am

Last I heard the Jets are trying to get into the top 10, maybe he's the reason why. 
NY JETS1
NY JETS1
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Thu May 08, 2014 11:40 am

NY JETS1 wrote:
Last I heard the Jets are trying to get into the top 10, maybe he's the reason why. 

If anyone besides Belichick keeps it close to the vest, it's Idzik.  I'd like to see the Jets move up.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next