Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overpaid club.

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Overpaid club. Empty Overpaid club.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:00 pm

Oh, and just like we discussed here before last season and the season before--at a $9.5M cap number and whopping $6.9M salary (highest on the team)...Tramon Williams needs to be approached about taking a pay cut.  Huge wasted opportunity there the past two seasons to not have leveraged his poor play into a haircut more deserving of the game he's been displaying out there.  He, Morgan Burnett and now Sam Shields are the three most overpaid players on that team -vs- performance...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Overpaid club. Empty Re: Overpaid club.

Post by RingoCStarrQB Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:22 pm

_HD_ wrote:Oh, and just like we discussed here before last season and the season before--at a $9.5M cap number and whopping $6.9M salary (highest on the team)...Tramon Williams needs to be approached about taking a pay cut.  Huge wasted opportunity there the past two seasons to not have leveraged his poor play into a haircut more deserving of the game he's been displaying out there.  He, Morgan Burnett and now Sam Shields are the three most overpaid players on that team -vs- performance...

May want to add McC and his buddy Dom to this list also.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:48 am

_HD_ wrote:Oh, and just like we discussed here before last season and the season before--at a $9.5M cap number and whopping $6.9M salary (highest on the team)...Tramon Williams needs to be approached about taking a pay cut.  Huge wasted opportunity there the past two seasons to not have leveraged his poor play into a haircut more deserving of the game he's been displaying out there.  He, Morgan Burnett and now Sam Shields are the three most overpaid players on that team -vs- performance...

I'm not sure that Williams and Shields are egregiously overpaid, as the cornerback position commands a much higher salary than most positions. On any team the two starting corners are going to be at the top of the salary range.

To me, Burnett jumps out as the guy who has the poorest performance-to-salary ratio.

Our perceptions may very well change this year, however. It appears the Packers have made a serious commitment to upgrading the defense, focusing on the pass rush. I'm glad. It always seemed to me that opposing QBs had all day to throw. If we can get a better pass rush, who knows, maybe all three of these players will look a whole lot better.

It's hard to evaluate defensive backs when they have to stick with their man for a few extra seconds.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:23 pm

duck wrote:

I'm not sure that Williams and Shields are egregiously overpaid, as the cornerback position commands a much higher salary than most positions.  On any team the two starting corners are going to be at the top of the salary range.

It's startling how obtuse you've become, Duck.  Can you not see that Tramon's play has taken a serious nosedive since signing that contract?  Instead of a $10M guy back there--we could reasonably expect to put a $2M guy back there with much the same result from what we've been seeing from Tramon.  He picked it up a bit late in the season--but still no where close to providing good value for what he is paid....and we've discussed Shields at length.  He has now emerged from free agency 2014 as next season's HIGHEST PAID CB IN THE NFL.  Show me a track record that even comes close to justifying that...

To me, Burnett jumps out as the guy who has the poorest performance-to-salary ratio.

Our perceptions may very well change this year, however.  It appears the Packers have made a serious commitment to upgrading the defense, focusing on the pass rush.  I'm glad.  It always seemed to me that opposing QBs had all day to throw.  If we can get a better pass rush, who knows, maybe all three of these players will look a whole lot better.

It's hard to evaluate defensive backs when they have to stick with their man for a few extra seconds.

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:12 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

I'm not sure that Williams and Shields are egregiously overpaid, as the cornerback position commands a much higher salary than most positions.  On any team the two starting corners are going to be at the top of the salary range.

It's startling how obtuse you've become, Duck.  Can you not see that Tramon's play has taken a serious nosedive since signing that contract?  Yes it has.  Part of it is that he's been playing hurt.  Instead of a $10M guy back there--we could reasonably expect to put a $2M guy back there with much the same result from what we've been seeing from Tramon.  That's fine and dandy.  Find a $2M guy just as good and let's make the switch.  Maybe TT will find one in the draft and unload Williams next year.  He picked it up a bit late in the season--but still no where close to providing good value for what he is paid....and we've discussed Shields at length.  He has now emerged from free agency 2014 as next season's HIGHEST PAID CB IN THE NFL.  Show me a track record that even comes close to justifying that... I think Kben pointed out that his numbers are not that far out of line with other CBs and if he isn't worth the money in 2015 or 2016, we have to option of cutting him or restructuring his contract.  Not saying I wouldn't LIKE better value for our dollar at CB but I don't think we're seriously fucked or anything.  

Our perceptions may very well change this year, however.  It appears the Packers have made a serious commitment to upgrading the defense, focusing on the pass rush.  I'm glad.  It always seemed to me that opposing QBs had all day to throw.  If we can get a better pass rush, who knows, maybe all three of these players will look a whole lot better.

duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:40 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

It's startling how obtuse you've become, Duck.  Can you not see that Tramon's play has taken a serious nosedive since signing that contract?  Yes it has.  Part of it is that he's been playing hurt.  Instead of a $10M guy back there--we could reasonably expect to put a $2M guy back there with much the same result from what we've been seeing from Tramon.  That's fine and dandy.  Find a $2M guy just as good and let's make the switch.  Maybe TT will find one in the draft and unload Williams next year.  He picked it up a bit late in the season--but still no where close to providing good value for what he is paid....and we've discussed Shields at length.  He has now emerged from free agency 2014 as next season's HIGHEST PAID CB IN THE NFL.  Show me a track record that even comes close to justifying that... I think Kben pointed out that his numbers are not that far out of line with other CBs and if he isn't worth the money in 2015 or 2016, we have to option of cutting him or restructuring his contract.  Yes--KBen did--and he also characterized a $6M dead money cap hit for a single player as typical and acceptable--and that would make him....ehhhh...WRONG.  The team isn't carrying anything even close to that right now in dead money for ALL of their transactions and almost never does.  Not saying I wouldn't LIKE better value for our dollar at CB but I don't think we're seriously fucked or anything.  It's not a black/white polarized question of being *seriously fucked, Duck...  It's a question of wise resource management.  For example, Hawk was approached about a pay cut a couple of years ago.  His play justified it and he accepted it.  The same thing should be done FAR more aggressively in this organization--particularly in eggregious examples like Williams...

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:36 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

It's startling how obtuse you've become, Duck.  Can you not see that Tramon's play has taken a serious nosedive since signing that contract?  Yes it has.  Part of it is that he's been playing hurt.  Instead of a $10M guy back there--we could reasonably expect to put a $2M guy back there with much the same result from what we've been seeing from Tramon.  That's fine and dandy.  Find a $2M guy just as good and let's make the switch.  Maybe TT will find one in the draft and unload Williams next year.  He picked it up a bit late in the season--but still no where close to providing good value for what he is paid....and we've discussed Shields at length.  He has now emerged from free agency 2014 as next season's HIGHEST PAID CB IN THE NFL.  Show me a track record that even comes close to justifying that... I think Kben pointed out that his numbers are not that far out of line with other CBs and if he isn't worth the money in 2015 or 2016, we have to option of cutting him or restructuring his contract.  Yes--KBen did--and he also characterized a $6M dead money cap hit for a single player as typical and acceptable--and that would make him....ehhhh...WRONG.  The team isn't carrying anything even close to that right now in dead money for ALL of their transactions and almost never does.  Not saying I wouldn't LIKE better value for our dollar at CB but I don't think we're seriously fucked or anything.  It's not a black/white polarized question of being *seriously fucked, Duck...  It's a question of wise resource management.  For example, Hawk was approached about a pay cut a couple of years ago.  His play justified it and he accepted it.  The same thing should be done FAR more aggressively in this organization--particularly in eggregious examples like Williams...

Well, if your central point is about resource management, surely you're pleased with the fact that TT has managed the cap well and had sufficient $$ leftover so that he could comfortably made a blockbuster signing in Julius Peppers... and still have plenty left over.

Like I say, show me the tree full of quality cornerbacks at $2M per year and I agree TT should dump Williams and begin shaking it.

Seems to me the albino does a fine job of resource management.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Well, if your central point is about resource management, surely you're pleased with the fact that TT has managed the cap well and had sufficient $$ leftover so that he could comfortably made a blockbuster signing in Julius Peppers... and still have plenty left over.

Let me ask you this, Duck...  If Jennings had accepted his $13M/year offer and Raji had accepted his $8M+/year deal--do you think Peppers would be a Packer right now?

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Both of those numbers are nothing but unattributed, rumored, hypothetical numbers that were floated by flacks or agents.

And you wish to use them to further your point that, what, Thompson should be fired? When should they do that? In April right before the draft? Or maybe right after the draft a new GM should be brought in, eh? Seriously, what the fuck is your goddamn point here? 

I hope you get to it soon 'cause this shit is getting mighty stale.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:53 pm

Definitely agree here. We saw shades of glory in 2010 with Tramon and Sam. But that was due in part to Collins and Woodson making plays and QBs having to look in other directions.  Burnett is the main man now by default. Even a ship of fools has a captain. Even with cover skills what I see missing the most is their ability to tackle. And when they do try to tackle they get hurt. The 9ers and Seahawks secondary punish people as well as covering them. At least up til now. Overpaid yes. I saw more from Micah Hyde as a rookie all over the field than any one of them as a rookie. And he's not afraid to hit people. 
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:08 pm

_HD_ wrote:Well, if your central point is about resource management, surely you're pleased with the fact that TT has managed the cap well and had sufficient $$ leftover so that he could comfortably made a blockbuster signing in Julius Peppers... and still have plenty left over.

Let me ask you this, Duck...  If Jennings had accepted his $13M/year offer and Raji had accepted his $8M+/year deal--do you think Peppers would be a Packer right now?

Clever redirect... but I'll answer anyway.  The answer is maybe.  Less likely but still possible.  It means that something else would have to give and that would likely be a new contract for Nelson and/or Cobb.  However, if Jennings were signed, it would be less imperative to get the other two in the fold.  Rodgers could get by with any permutation of those receivers.

However, if you're going to build your case on "what ifs", that's silly.

What if another team had picked up Brady before Round 6?  What if another team had signed Lynch before Seattle grabbed him?  Yadda yadda yadda.  All GMs have hundreds of decisions to make, both in the draft and free agency.  They all miscalculate or make mistakes in their assessments from time to time.

Our albino is doing just fine, thank you very much.

I will agree with you on one point, however.  The man definitely needs a blow job.

Last edited by duck on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:09 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Both of those numbers are nothing but unattributed, rumored, hypothetical numbers that were floated by flacks or agents.

And you wish to use them to further your point that, what, Thompson should be fired? When should they do that? In April right before the draft? Or maybe right after the draft a new GM should be brought in, eh? Seriously, what the fuck is your goddamn point here? 

Well, it's nice to see I'm not the only one who gets weary of HD's wing flapping.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:10 pm

milani wrote:

Definitely agree here. We saw shades of glory in 2010 with Tramon and Sam. But that was due in part to Collins and Woodson making plays and QBs having to look in other directions.  Burnett is the main man now by default. Even a ship of fools has a captain. Even with cover skills what I see missing the most is their ability to tackle. And when they do try to tackle they get hurt. The 9ers and Seahawks secondary punish people as well as covering them. At least up til now. Overpaid yes. I saw more from Micah Hyde as a rookie all over the field than any one of them as a rookie. And he's not afraid to hit people. 

You guys are getting cozier and cozier every day. I think the board should chip in to buy you guys a room.  Very Happy 
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:21 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Both of those numbers are nothing but unattributed, rumored, hypothetical numbers that were floated by flacks or agents.

If they are unattributed--then how can you claim to know who floated them?  Furthermore, does them being *unattributed* necessary make them false?  Seriously--WTF is your point here?  Hey!  This Clifford shit is fun!  Really easy to pick up, too... Laughing 

My point is founded purely on benevolence...  I'm trying to help Duck open his quacked fucking homer eyes and understand that most dials have many positions in-between full on and full off... 

Hmmmm...  Put it in the microwave and then wet down a dirty sock and place that inside next to it.  Run on full power for 2 minutes.  Stale will no longer be your complaint, Flex...   Cool 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:25 pm

duck wrote:
milani wrote:

You guys are getting cozier and cozier every day.  I think the board should chip in to buy you guys a room.   Very Happy 

God knows how unlikely it'll be that you'll ever be invited to join us the way you have your fist buried so deeply up your ass...   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:25 pm

duck wrote:
milani wrote:

You guys are getting cozier and cozier every day.  I think the board should chip in to buy you guys a room.   Very Happy 

Anything across the street from your bar?
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:30 pm

duck wrote:

Well, it's nice to see I'm not the only one who gets weary of HD's wing flapping.

You've always got to consider the source.  This is the guy, after all, who said basically the same thing while jacking his banana pepper over the undefeated streak a couple of years ago while I was sounding the alarm bells over a shit D that would be exposed in the playoffs...  Foresight.  The future is tough for some to process who have difficulty assimilating what's happening right the fuck now...   Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by KBen Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:33 pm

_HD_ wrote:

If they are unattributed--then how can you claim to know who floated them?  Furthermore, does them being *unattributed* necessary make them false?  Seriously--WTF is your point here?  Hey!  This Clifford shit is fun!  Really easy to pick up, too... Laughing 

My point is founded purely on benevolence...  I'm trying to help Duck open his quacked fucking homer eyes and understand that most dials have many positions in-between full on and full off... 

Hmmmm...  Put it in the microwave and then wet down a dirty sock and place that inside next to it.  Run on full power for 2 minutes.  Stale will no longer be your complaint, Flex...   Cool 

The 8 mil offer that Raji turned down is accurate....13 to Jennings, well........ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
KBen
KBen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:37 pm

KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

The 8 mil offer that Raji turned down is accurate....13 to Jennings, well........ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The $8M for Jennings was the reduced POST FA offer from the Pack--much like the $4M to Raji was the reduced POST free agency offer he was made--down from the original $8M.  Try to keep up here, kids...   Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by KBen Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:42 pm

_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

The $8M for Jennings was the reduced POST FA offer from the Pack--much like the $4M to Raji was the reduced POST free agency offer he was made--down from the original $8M.  Try to keep up here, kids...   Razz 

How bout a little evidence of that claim ?
Or are you going full blown Diva and claiming it's fact just cuz you say so  I love you 
KBen
KBen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:47 pm

KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

Or are you going full blown Diva and claiming it's fact just cuz you say so  I love you 
Sure Benny...  Google it.  I've clipped and pasted the supporting content at least a couple of times before...  I have little doubt on it's truth...  At least one of the jackhole columnist's put it out there as it happened...and listen motherfucker.  I don't see any green-dyed candy-corn in exactly 11 little shamrock-shaped bowls throughout my dressing room.  I'm part Irish--you know.  NOW--HAPPEN.  See how that works?   Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:08 pm

milani wrote:
duck wrote:
milani wrote:

Anything across the street from your bar?

Just a few dumpsters and a vacant parking lot that we use for tailgating. Ask Ringo. He'll tell you all about it.

I believe the dumpsters are seldom full, however, and I'm sure you and HD could get in a quickie in one of them.  Very Happy 
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:18 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

You've always got to consider the source.  This is the guy, after all, who said basically the same thing while jacking his banana pepper over the undefeated streak a couple of years ago while I was sounding the alarm bells over a shit D that would be exposed in the playoffs...  Foresight.  The future is tough for some to process who have difficulty assimilating what's happening right the fuck now...   Laughing 

Uh, our defense sucked as usual but it was our offense that had an uncharacteristic off day.  More accurately, Green Bay ran into a legitimately strong defense that peaked at the right time.  That game was no fluke.  The Giants deserved that win.

And you want to brag about foresight?  Here's the mirror image of your story.  In 2010, I was the ONLY Packer poster who predicted a Green Bay Super Bowl win.  In fact, after a midseason debacle against Tampa Bay everyone, as usual, was pissing and moaning, calling for the heads of MM and TT.  My attitude was chill, they will steady the ship. Well, we all know how things ended up that season in Jerry Jones new stadium.

All in all, I'd say my confidence that we have a very strong program is far more validated than your occasional whines that end up sprouting legs.

Heck, if I were to compile all your posts into a grand thesis, it would paint the picture of a shit rudderless bottom feeder team, coached and managed by idiots.  And anyone who likes those shit players and idiots is a "homer."
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:25 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

Uh, our defense sucked as usual but it was our offense that had an uncharacteristic off day.  More accurately, Green Bay ran into a legitimately strong defense that peaked at the right time.  That game was no fluke.  The Giants deserved that win.  As I said prior to the fact--the weakness of the D is being shrouded by an O that is manic.  It can't/won't continue and the first off-day for the O against a decent team--will be the first game they lose.

And you want to brag about foresight?  Here's the mirror image of your story.  In 2010, I was the ONLY Packer poster who predicted a Green Bay Super Bowl win.  In fact, after a midseason debacle against Tampa Bay everyone, as usual, was pissing and moaning, calling for the heads of MM and TT.  My attitude was chill, they will steady the ship.  Well, we all know how things ended up that season in Jerry Jones new stadium.  Wrong Duck.  Was I calling for their heads then?  No--hardly.  Quite the opposite as you can see in the record.

All in all, I'd say my confidence that we have a very strong program is far more validated than your occasional whines that end up sprouting legs.

Heck, if I were to compile all your posts into a grand thesis, it would paint the picture of a shit rudderless bottom feeder team, coached and managed by idiots.  And anyone who likes those shit players and idiots is a "homer."

Black/white Duck...  You really have somehow lost everything in-between...

Last edited by _HD_ on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:27 pm

_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
KBen wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

Sure Benny...  Google it.  I've clipped and pasted the supporting content at least a couple of times before...  I have little doubt on it's truth...  At least one of the jackhole columnist's put it out there as it happened...and listen motherfucker.  I don't see any green-dyed candy-corn in exactly 11 little shamrock-shaped bowls throughout my dressing room.  I'm part Irish--you know.  NOW--HAPPEN.  See how that works?   Razz 

I just did a Google search. I saw $10M but nothing about $13M. Nada.

Big difference between $10M and $13M.

To second Kben: let's see some documentation. The ball's in your court.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next