Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peppers a Packer (1 minute ago from USA Today)

+2
MB20
RingoCStarrQB
6 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Peppers a Packer (1 minute ago from USA Today) Empty Peppers a Packer (1 minute ago from USA Today)

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:07 am

Maybe Milani is correct.........this may be TT's one and only move.   I still want to see Hester a Packer also.  I hope this doesn't piss off Duck too too much.  GO PACK GO !!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Peppers a Packer (1 minute ago from USA Today) Empty Re: Peppers a Packer (1 minute ago from USA Today)

Post by MB20 Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:18 am

Yeah, was more expecting to wake up to a headline that read Jews Now Love Arabs or something like that. 

I don't know what he's got left (although he had almost enough to end our season a couple of months ago) and I have no idea how the Packers plan to use him, but I like it for the simple fact that TT showed a willingness to try something and take a chance.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Peppers a Packer (1 minute ago from USA Today) Empty Re: Peppers a Packer (1 minute ago from USA Today)

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:30 pm

MB20 wrote:Yeah, was more expecting to wake up to a headline that read Jews Now Love Arabs or something like that. 

I don't know what he's got left (although he had almost enough to end our season a couple of months ago) and I have no idea how the Packers plan to use him, but I like it for the simple fact that TT showed a willingness to try something and take a chance.

Wow.  Certainly never saw this coming.  Peppers at 80% is still better than 95% of the D lineman in the league.  I've said it before--at his peak he was probably the best defensive player period the league has seen since Reggie White in his prime.  The problem is this:  He doesn't ideally fit the 34.  Yes--he's extremely athletic.  Yes--he's still fast...but it's the mental part of a transition in reading the play and dropping into coverage when his whole career has essentially been put your hand in the dirt with fire blasting out of your nostrils and beat one man.  This makes me wonder whether the Pack will be going the Belichick route and installing a hybrid 34/43 next season depending upon down/distance.  In any event--how can you not like adding a Julius Peppers to a D?  It's hope candy--from TT, the diabetic nurse albino...   Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:35 pm

If indeed this is true it shows that the albino isn't as inflexible as most posters think he is.

I think signing Peppers is an intriguing move that has some real potential. I've always liked the guy. He has a freakish athleticism that is reminiscent of Reggie White. The Packers badly need another impact playmaker besides Clay Matthews on defense.

Peppers is nearing the end of his career and the real question is how much does he have left in the tank but I presume the Packers have evaluated that and feel he can still produce. Apparently even though Peppers was used in a 4-3 before, the Packers plan to use him in the 3-4 in spot roles as a pass rusher from either the LB of DE position. Peppers has the kind of athleticism that will work in the 4-3, 3-4, or whatever scheme you draw up.

I like the move.

I also like the fact that it will shut up the chorus of "Fuck Whitey" for a couple of weeks. You Chicken Littles have become way to shrill lately.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:38 pm

_HD_ wrote:
MB20 wrote:Yeah, was more expecting to wake up to a headline that read Jews Now Love Arabs or something like that. 

Wow.  Certainly never saw this coming.  Peppers at 80% is still better than 95% of the D lineman in the league.  I've said it before--at his peak he was probably the best defensive player period the league has seen since Reggie White in his prime.  The problem is this:  He doesn't ideally fit the 34.  Yes--he's extremely athletic.  Yes--he's still fast...but it's the mental part of a transition in reading the play and dropping into coverage when his whole career has essentially been put your hand in the dirt with fire blasting out of your nostrils and beat one man.  This makes me wonder whether the Pack will be going the Belichick route and installing a hybrid 34/43 next season depending upon down/distance.  In any event--how can you not like adding a Julius Peppers to a D?  It's hope candy--from TT, the diabetic nurse albino...   Laughing 

You answered your own question, HD. Yes, Peppers has been playing the 4-3 in Chicago, but Capers will have the luxury of tweaking our scheme a little bit.

Obviously you try to select players that match your scheme but in those rare occasions when you find someone whose abilities give you added dimension, you tweak the scheme. Players trump schemes.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:46 pm

_HD_ wrote:

Peppers has always said he wants to play in a 3-4, but I'm pretty sure that this signing along with comments from MM about wanting to get more out of the talent we have indicates that some hybrid is forthcoming. I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:12 pm

One other comment about this move.  Reading between the lines, it's obvious that this was not hasty or opportunistic.  It was something that TT, MM and Capers had discussed for a while.  The Packers knew Peppers would become a free agent this year.  They've been searching for an impact player to play alongside Matthews forever, with the most recent disappointment being Perry.  You can bet Peppers was on their radar from the get go.

Over the years TT had wisely accumulated the kind of cap space needed to give him flexibility in the open market, so they pulled the trigger and got their man.  Important note here:  all this would not be possible if Thompson had not been so frugal over the years.  The fact that he HAD all that extra cap space speaks to how well he's been managing our roster.

Last year the Packers made a commitment to improving the running game and, as we all saw, the results were impressive.  Anyone doubt that Lacy is going to keep defenses honest in 2014?

This year the message is loud and clear.  The defense is going to be retooled.  We've got our corner and our second impact player.  If guys like Perry, D. Jones, Neal, and Haywood can step up to the next level we could actually have something, folks.  Giddy optimism is premature but I like the direction we're going.

Call me a homer or whatever you want but I believe the Packers are in capable hands and I am expecting TT and MM to put another contending team on the field this year.

Cluck away, Chicken Littles.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:33 pm

One other comment about this move.  Reading between the lines, it's obvious that this was not hasty or opportunistic.  It was something that TT, MM and Capers had discussed for a while.  The Packers knew Peppers would become a free agent this year.  They've been searching for an impact player to play alongside Matthews forever, with the most recent disappointment being Perry.  You can bet Peppers was on their radar from the get go.

Over the years TT had wisely accumulated the kind of cap space needed to give him flexibility in the open market, so they pulled the trigger and got their man.  Important note here:  all this would not be possible if Thompson had not been so frugal over the years.  The fact that he HAD all that extra cap space speaks to how well he's been managing our roster.

Back on the spankwire, baldy!   Everything you just pointed about about this all being a carefully stategized move is pure crap.  The only reason this move is viable is because of two people's idiocy:  Greg Jennings and BJ Raji...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:48 pm

If indeed this is true it shows that the albino isn't as inflexible as most posters think he is.

No, Duck--it reflects that the albino may have recently adjusted his flexibility.  The past is not changed by the future, Andrew Quackless...   Cool 

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:51 pm

_HD_ wrote:One other comment about this move.  Reading between the lines, it's obvious that this was not hasty or opportunistic.  It was something that TT, MM and Capers had discussed for a while.  The Packers knew Peppers would become a free agent this year.  They've been searching for an impact player to play alongside Matthews forever, with the most recent disappointment being Perry.  You can bet Peppers was on their radar from the get go.

Back on the spankwire, baldy!   Everything you just pointed about about this all being a carefully stategized move is pure crap.  The only reason this move is viable is because of two people's idiocy:  Greg Jennings and BJ Raji...

Riiiight.  No planning or forethought whatsoever.  TT just blundered his way into this one.

Seriously, your reflexive negativity is getting stale.

All I can say is thank God we have a top tier profession in Ted Thompson running the Packers instead of a bunch of drunk whiny fans like those in the HD-Milani axis.

One more chorus with feeling and emphasis:  FUCK WHITEY!!  FUCK FATTY!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:03 pm

_HD_ wrote:If indeed this is true it shows that the albino isn't as inflexible as most posters think he is.

No, Duck--it reflects that the albino may have recently adjusted his flexibility.  The past is not changed by the future, Andrew Quackless...   Cool 

No, HD... what it shows is that from Day 1, TT has always been open to free agency. He understands fully that it's another means of player procurement. He just uses it less frequently and more selectively than most other GMs. That's mistakenly interpreted as many fans (including myself at times) as inflexibility... but I am certain that he evaluates each and every player on the open market and makes a reasoned decision as to whether that player would be a good fit for the Packers and if the price is right.

Of course he misses some opportunities and fails on some reaches. All GMs do that. Passing on Lynch made no sense to me... but 30 other GMs in the league passed on him just as TT did. Even one of TT's most recent failures, the acquisition of Jeff Saturday, made perfect sense at the time. Peppers could turn out to be a bust too.

All in all, however, I feel very comfortable with the decisions TT makes and am thankful he continues to put a contending team on the field, year after year. That's really the best a GM can do.

My assessment of the 2014 Packers just went up a bit. I really like the fact that we could have a second impact player on defense. Our offense is not only one of the best in the league, but balanced and capable of closing out close games on the ground. If we can put together a top 10 defense, watch out. No predictions of course... but another Lombardi is not out of the question next season, despite what you Chicken Littles say.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:09 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:One other comment about this move.  Reading between the lines, it's obvious that this was not hasty or opportunistic.  It was something that TT, MM and Capers had discussed for a while.  The Packers knew Peppers would become a free agent this year.  They've been searching for an impact player to play alongside Matthews forever, with the most recent disappointment being Perry.  You can bet Peppers was on their radar from the get go.

Riiiight.  No planning or forethought whatsoever.  TT just blundered his way into this one.

All I can say is thank God we have a top tier profession in Ted Thompson running the Packers instead of a bunch of drunk whiny fans like those in the HD-Milani axis.

Yeah--God damn der right!  We neen der ho-boy more o' dem der top-tier profession like Ted--ya got dat right!!!    Laughing

Face it, Duck--you're the new Roofer...   Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:15 pm

RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:15 pm

RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:16 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

Yeah--God damn der right!  We neen der ho-boy more o' dem der top-tier profession like Ted--ya got dat right!!!    Laughing

Face it, Duck--you're the new Roofer...   Wink 

Says the new Milani.  cheers 
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:18 pm

Will Raji give up #90 for Peppers to wear?  He should...........as did Jurkovic when Reggie came on board.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:19 pm

RingoCStarrQB wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This picture makes me think of the 2010 playoff game you watched at my sports bar, Ringo! (Even though the colors were different.)

Hey, it's a shame our rendezvous on your recent trip to San Francisco didn't work out... we'll have to double down on another playoff game or a trip to Lambeau.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Peppers a Packer (1 minute ago from USA Today) Empty Ringo Sightings

Post by milani Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:36 pm

This Peppers acquisition may mean that Ringo will be sighted a lot more at Lambeau this season. That's if he makes it to his seats.

Somewhat of an un-Thompson like move. I like Peppers wingspan. We have not seen that since Gabe Wilkins. Hopefully, Capers won't be dumb enough to line him up like Kampman. 3-4 or 4-3 he belongs on the end. With Matthews and Peppers coming at you from different sides it will be a little hard to double both of them. He's been able to stay on the field which does not happen with very much of our defense.
OK, TT. You're done with free agency.  Now figure out how to get some productive low round cheap picks to surprise the world for a few years.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:04 pm

We JUST signed Julius Peppers and two beats later you two are back to playing bitch slap?

STFU and enjoy the moment needle dicks.

JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:09 pm

JnC4GB wrote:We JUST signed Julius Peppers and two beats later you two are back to playing bitch slap?

STFU and enjoy the moment needle dicks.

Good call.  Absolutely true...   Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:10 pm

As for Peppers being over-the-hill, in the 1995-96 season Reggie White led the best Defense the Packers ever had to a NFL Championship.

He was 35 years old.
He was still a fucking load at 37.

Peppers is 34.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:35 pm

Just read that no matter how Pepper's contract is structured, he will still count more against the Bears' cap this season than the Packers'.

LOL
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:42 pm

In a worst-case scenario, it's a 1-year, $8.5MM deal. I think that's worth it for a flier like this.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:47 pm

"Psycho" package front five: 
Mike Daniels, Datone Jones, Nick Perry, Clay Mathews, and Julius Peppers?

Holy mother of GOD.  affraid
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:49 pm

duck wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This picture makes me think of the 2010 playoff game you watched at my sports bar, Ringo!  (Even though the colors were different.)

Hey, it's a shame our rendezvous on your recent trip to San Francisco didn't work out... we'll have to double down on another playoff game or a trip to Lambeau.
I think that was the 2010 regular season closer. Collins' INT blew the fucking roof off our sports bar. Great shit

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next