Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I guess Belichick is an idiot

2 posters

Go down

I guess Belichick is an idiot Empty I guess Belichick is an idiot

Post by duck Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:09 pm

The situation was exactly the same for the Patriots today as it was for Green Bay against Minnesota. Each team was down 16 and then got a TD with plenty of time left in the 4th quarter. Just like McCarthy several weeks ago, Belichick went for two.

Like I said, that's a coin flip situation. There are valid reasons for choosing either. I understand the logic behind the one-point call but I also understand the logic of the two-point call.

Funny how some folks on this board roasted McCarthy for that decision.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

I guess Belichick is an idiot Empty Re: I guess Belichick is an idiot

Post by MB20 Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:26 pm

duck wrote:The situation was exactly the same for the Patriots today as it was for Green Bay against Minnesota.  Each team was down 16 and then got a TD with plenty of time left in the 4th quarter.  Just like McCarthy several weeks ago, Belichick went for two.

Like I said, that's a coin flip situation.  There are valid reasons for choosing either.  I understand the logic behind the one-point call but I also understand the logic of the two-point call.

Belichick was facing a slightly better team and QB today than MM was then.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:15 pm

duck wrote:The situation was exactly the same for the Patriots today as it was for Green Bay against Minnesota.  Each team was down 16 and then got a TD with plenty of time left in the 4th quarter.  Just like McCarthy several weeks ago, Belichick went for two.

Like I said, that's a coin flip situation.  There are valid reasons for choosing either.  I understand the logic behind the one-point call but I also understand the logic of the two-point call.

LOL!  Do you ever give it a rest, Duck?  It doesn't matter if Belichick is the one making the mistake or fucking Goatboy--it's still a mistake.  The risk/reward just doesn't add up...and that's presumably why the chart also says go for 1...

More patented Tail Wag the Dog from the Quacker.  In his world, because it is Belichick who makes a stupid call--that must make it smart...  Laughing 

Noooo, Duck...  It just means that Belichick makes mistakes, too...  See how that works?   Cool 

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:20 pm

_HD_ wrote:

LOL!  Do you ever give it a rest, Duck?  It doesn't matter if Belichick is the one making the mistake or fucking Goatboy--it's still a mistake.  The risk/reward just doesn't add up...and that's presumably why the chart also says go for 1...

More patented Tail Wag the Dog from the Quacker.  In his world, because it is Belichick who makes a stupid call--that must make it smart...  Laughing 

Noooo, Duck...  It just means that Belichick makes mistakes, too...  See how that works?   Cool 

Cut and dried, eh, HD? I'm disappointed that you see this in black and white terms. I know the chart says go for 1 in this situation but I can totally understand how both McCarthy and Belichick thought they might only get 2-3 more possessions in the game and that it made sense to gamble to try to make it a two possession game.

In the game context, their calls were reasonable. Like I said, it's a coin flip situation.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:34 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

Cut and dried, eh, HD?  I'm disappointed that you see this in black and white terms.  I know the chart says go for 1 in this situation but I can totally understand how both McCarthy and Belichick thought they might only get 2-3 more possessions in the game and that it made sense to gamble to try to make it a two possession game.

In the game context, their calls were reasonable.  Like I said, it's a coin flip situation.

You either see it or you don't Duck...  You don't--and that's okay.  However, it's an easy call to make.  What you gain in converting a low percentage play and score two points is simply not worth the risk in foregoing the sure one point in how the game becomes set up from there.  In another words--the two points don't justify the excessive risk over what one sure point will do--not at that score differential--not at that point in the game.  Like I said--you either get that or you don't.

Coin flips are for those who simply don't know what to do--but have to do something...so they rely on the goodwill of the God's to see their inastute asses through...  There's a smart way to play everything, Duck.  Even if we don't always see deep enough into the crystal ball to know what it is.   Cool 

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:57 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

Cut and dried, eh, HD?  I'm disappointed that you see this in black and white terms.  I know the chart says go for 1 in this situation but I can totally understand how both McCarthy and Belichick thought they might only get 2-3 more possessions in the game and that it made sense to gamble to try to make it a two possession game.

In the game context, their calls were reasonable.  Like I said, it's a coin flip situation.

You either see it or you don't Duck...  You don't--and that's okay.  However, it's an easy call to make.  What you gain in converting a low percentage play and score two points is simply not worth the risk in foregoing the sure one point in how the game becomes set up from there.  In another words--the two points don't justify the excessive risk over what one sure point will do--not at that score differential--not at that point in the game.  Like I said--you either get that or you don't.  Oh, I get it.  I understand the situation completely.  And when you say "not at that point in the game" it shows you also have some understanding that at some point you throw out the chart and go with your gut.  Clearly with 3:00 left in the game, your only chance is to go for two and hope to make it a two possession game.  Maybe even early in the fourth quarter if the game is trending poorly you make the same call too.  I think both McCarthy and Belichick chose to go against the almighty chart for those reasons. My point is that some things are a slam dunk but this is far from that.  

Coin flips are for those who simply don't know what to do--but have to do something...so they rely on the goodwill of the God's to see their inastute asses through...  There's a smart way to play everything, Duck.  Even if we don't always see deep enough into the crystal ball to know what it is.   Cool 
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down