Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The moment that changed a season

4 posters

Go down

The moment that changed a season Empty The moment that changed a season

Post by guppy Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:54 pm

Ugh.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

The moment that changed a season Empty Re: The moment that changed a season

Post by Randell60 Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:13 pm

guppy wrote:

Ugh.

Thank Goodell and the NFL for these unfortunate type of injuries. They figure it's open season on leg/knee tackles, as the head area is off limits.
Randell60
Randell60
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:04 am

Randell60 wrote:
guppy wrote:

Ugh.

Thank Goodell and the NFL for these unfortunate type of injuries. They figure it's open season on leg/knee tackles, as the head area is off limits.

Its just unfortunate that Gronk planted that leg at the very split second of the hit.  If the hit happens .25 of a second earlier or later, I don't think the injury happens. This is just horrible luck.  Gronk is the second most important player on the Pats 53 man roster.  Oh well, the season had a few entertaining highlights for me.  I'm afraid now its going to be lowlights for this team from here on out.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Randell60 Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:47 am

guppy wrote:
Randell60 wrote:
guppy wrote:

Ugh.

Its just unfortunate that Gronk planted that leg at the very split second of the hit.  If the hit happens .25 of a second earlier or later, I don't think the injury happens. This is just horrible luck.  Gronk is the second most important player on the Pats 53 man roster.  Oh well, the season had a few entertaining highlights for me.  I'm afraid now its going to be lowlights for this team from here on out.

I really like him as a player. Goes about his business and acts like he's been there and done that before, unlike these other fools who hunch, twerck or do some other stupid dance after each catch...

Randell60
Randell60
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Randell60 wrote:
guppy wrote:
Randell60 wrote:
guppy wrote:

Ugh.

I really like him as a player. Goes about his business and acts like he's been there and done that before, unlike these other fools who hunch, twerck or do some other stupid dance after each catch...

There are a few of those on every team. Gronk just does his signature spike on TD's only, nothing for mere first downs. But we won't be seeing Gronk TD spikes again for a least a year I'll bet.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:59 pm

guppy wrote:
Randell60 wrote:
guppy wrote:
Randell60 wrote:
guppy wrote:

Ugh.

There are a few of those on every team.  Gronk just does his signature spike on TD's only, nothing for mere first downs.  But we won't be seeing Gronk TD spikes again for a least a year I'll bet.

Yes, sorry to hear about Gronk. 
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:28 am

Not for nothing, but in what league is that a completion? The home team edge in calls has been going up and up the last few years, but it's really getting silly now.

This is a touchdown? After a review!?!?
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Randell60 Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:06 pm

George1963 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Not for nothing, but in what league is that a completion? The home team edge in calls has been going up and up the last few years, but it's really getting silly now.

This is a touchdown? After a review!?!?

Jeff Tripplet is another worthless ref that should be fired. Ruled NOT A TD, he decides to reverse it without conclusive evidence the runner's foot was touched or not.
Randell60
Randell60
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:16 pm

George1963 wrote:
 The home team edge in calls has been going up and up the last few years, but it's really getting silly now.

I agree.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:54 am

The home team edge in calls has been going up and up the last few years, but it's really getting silly now.

I agree.

George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:06 am

Randell60 wrote:
guppy wrote:

Ugh.

The irony is that he wound up with a concussion anyway.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:15 am

Yea Bill. TJ Ward makes the rules.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:27 pm

George1963 wrote:Yea Bill. TJ Ward makes the rules.

What did Bill say? I missed it.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:34 pm

George1963 wrote: The home team edge in calls has been going up and up the last few years, but it's really getting silly now.

I agree.

NFL admits Jets should have been flagged for field goal push
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 27, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] AP
The NFL has admitted that Patriots coach Bill Belichick was right and the officials on the field were wrong about the Jets breaking the rule against pushing a teammate into the line while trying to block a field goal.
Belichick complained after his own team was flagged for breaking the field goal push rule last week against the Jets that the Jets had violated the same rule and hadn’t been flagged for it. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the league confirmed that Belichick was right when it distributed a video to all the NFL coaches, showing the Jets’ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] pushing a teammate into the line on a Patriots field goal. On that video it was explained that Coples should have been flagged on the play.
So why were the Patriots flagged and the Jets weren’t? It’s likely a simple matter of New England’s Chris Jones executing a blatant push right in front of umpire Tony Michalek, while Coples pulled off his push more subtly, and in the middle of a mass of linemen where Michalek didn’t have a good view of it.
Of course, that’s not much solace to the Patriots: An official saying “I didn’t see it” after the fact doesn’t erase the fact that the penalty wasn’t called against the Jets at a time when the Patriots might have used the 15 yards and automatic first down to score a touchdown and win the game in regulation, and then the penalty was called against the Patriots at a time when the Jets used the 15 yards and automatic first down to score the game-winning field goal in overtime.

You see that George?  Repeat after me.   "Bill Belichick was riiiiiiiiight."   LOL.

Last edited by guppy on Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:43 pm

George1963 wrote:Yea Bill. TJ Ward makes the rules.

I guarantee you, George would not be spouting whatever nonsense he is spouting here, or implying, if it was Andrew Luck's season that was ended in the same kind of way here instead of Gronk's, and it was Chuck Pagano giving the stare instead of Belichick.  Just change the cast of characters and its guaranteed that George's take would be quite different. 
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:41 pm

guppy wrote:
George1963 wrote: The home team edge in calls has been going up and up the last few years, but it's really getting silly now.

I agree.

The NFL has admitted that Patriots coach Bill Belichick was right and the officials on the field were wrong about the Jets breaking the rule against pushing a teammate into the line while trying to block a field goal.
Belichick complained after his own team was flagged for breaking the field goal push rule last week against the Jets that the Jets had violated the same rule and hadn’t been flagged for it. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the league confirmed that Belichick was right when it distributed a video to all the NFL coaches, showing the Jets’ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] pushing a teammate into the line on a Patriots field goal. On that video it was explained that Coples should have been flagged on the play.
So why were the Patriots flagged and the Jets weren’t? It’s likely a simple matter of New England’s Chris Jones executing a blatant push right in front of umpire Tony Michalek, while Coples pulled off his push more subtly, and in the middle of a mass of linemen where Michalek didn’t have a good view of it.
Of course, that’s not much solace to the Patriots: An official saying “I didn’t see it” after the fact doesn’t erase the fact that the penalty wasn’t called against the Jets at a time when the Patriots might have used the 15 yards and automatic first down to score a touchdown and win the game in regulation, and then the penalty was called against the Patriots at a time when the Jets used the 15 yards and automatic first down to score the game-winning field goal in overtime.

You see that George?  Repeat after me.   "Bill Belichick was riiiiiiiiight."   LOL.

Yea, BB also said after the game that it wasn't against the rule so, repeat after me.......ah never mind. I wouldn't want you to risk bursting into flames by saying it.
When you said that the Pats were "owed one" this year, was this the second one you thought they got screwed on? How do you figure that? Because they missed one earlier NE should be allowed to do it? Pretty Ragsonian thinking.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:52 pm

George1963 wrote:
guppy wrote:

I agree.

Yea, BB also said after the game that it wasn't against the rule so, repeat after me.......ah never mind. I wouldn't want you to risk bursting into flames by saying it.
When you said that the Pats were "owed one" this year, was this the second one you thought they got screwed on? How do you figure that? Because they missed one earlier NE should be allowed to do it? Pretty Ragsonian thinking.

LOL.  Burst into flames?   That's a good one.  You're the one who might burst into flames if you had to do something like admit BB was right.  And the NFL said in hindsight after review that he was right.  That's something you scoffed at at the time.  Why did you?  Because you're not objective, that's why.  If you were, you would have seen on the video the Jets player push his fellow lineman in the back on the Pats earlier FG try, and you would have said.  "Oh, if they are calling that, they need to call it both ways.  Don't just call it on the Pats, they should have called it on Jets too.  Because just like BB said, the Jets did it too earlier in the game. End of story.  That's what you would have said........if you were objective.  I was objective at the time.  I saw the video of the Jets player pushing his fellow lineman in the back, and I said to myself, its the same thing that they just called on the Patriots (first time called in history), which then gave the Jets kicker a second try 15 yards closer at a FG he just missed on 4th down, basically insuring the Jets victory.  All I said was if its a penalty for one, then its a penalty for the other.  Call it on both.  You couldn't even bring yourself to say that.  Why?   Because that would mean that you would be taking the Patriots side of a controversy, and you would be agreeing with BB.   And GOD FORBID, you could NEVER bring yourself to do THAT  --- even in the face of direct video evidence that supported it.    

As far as me saying the Pats are "owed one", I thought you would get that I'm just using hyperbole and embellishment of the situation in order to make a point.   Because although you cleverly don't say it outright, reading between the lines of your posts, which are 100% anti Patriots slanted, and 0% taking the Patriots side of a controversy, I think you actually do sign on to ridiculous notions along the lines of:  "the NFL wants the Patriots to win, so they get more breaks in their favor than anyone else", or "Tom Brady gets more flags for him because he's the 'Golden Boy', than any other QB", or "there are special protections for Tommy Boy that no one else gets", or any other similar idiotic notion that promotes the falsehood that special "favoritism" is granted to NE that is not granted to others.  All of those notions or any similar ones are complete rubbish.  The Patriots have just as many judgment calls go against them as go in their favor -- maybe more.   All I'm doing is counterbalancing the controversial situations where the Pats got the benefit, by pointing out there are just as many, if not more, where they got the short end of the stick.  In the end, it all balances out I think.  If you think NE or TB12 get way way more of special "favoritism" than others get, then you are just full of dog doo.  You don't actually say it outright.  But every post you put up seems to promote that argument.  If I am wrong or I am mischaracterizing your position, then tell me, and I will take it back and apologize.

There will always be bad calls in this sport.  It seems to be in the nature of the game these days.  And I actually agree with you that it does seem that the majority of them this year do seem to go in favor of the team that is playing at home.  

But just don't talk to me about NE getting special "favoritism".  The teams who are getting the "favors" (benefiting from bad calls) seems to change week to week.   

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:16 am

There will always be bad calls in this sport.  It seems to be in the nature of the game these days.  And I actually agree with you that it does seem that the majority of them this year do seem to go in favor of the team that is playing at home

You're funny when you rant.

But just don't talk to me about NE getting special "favoritism".

I'll stop talking about, but that won't mean it's not true.
Remember back in the day when it seemed like the AFC East used to have the teams from the north play in Miami early in the year in the heat and the Dolphins travel north late to play in the cold?
True homefield advantage.

It used to be true. Kinda. The games all averaged out to about week 8 or 9, but the teams from the north played in Miami early in the year about a third of the time and hosted them late about a third. That's where the perception came from. That's still true. Kinda. It's still true for the Bills and the Jets.

The Patriots on the other hand average week 8.8 in Miami and week 12.75 in NE vs the Dolphins since the realignment.
In the last 12 years they've hosted the Dolphins 8 times in December and played in Miami exactly one time in September.
Sorry, but that doesn't happen by accident.
If it makes you feel any better, the Pats aren't the only team that gets special treatment. They're just the worst.
The Colts have to play road games against cold weather teams. I wish they didn't, but that's the way the schedule works.
Of 36 such games in the last 12 years only 6 have been in December.
The difference between you and I is that I can admit there's no way that isn't on purpose and there's no way you can admit that example after example of special treatment for your team is anything but coincidence.
Enjoy the Dolphins game. I hope the Pats don't wilt in the stifling mid December South Florida heat.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:47 am

George1963 wrote:

But just don't talk to me about NE getting special "favoritism".

I'll stop talking about, but that won't mean it's not true.
Remember back in the day when it seemed like the AFC East used to have the teams from the north play in Miami early in the year in the heat and the Dolphins travel north late to play in the cold?
True homefield advantage.

It used to be true. Kinda. The games all averaged out to about week 8 or 9, but the teams from the north played in Miami early in the year about a third of the time and hosted them late about a third. That's where the perception came from. That's still true. Kinda. It's still true for the Bills and the Jets.

The Patriots on the other hand average week 8.8 in Miami and week 12.75 in NE vs the Dolphins since the realignment.
In the last 12 years they've hosted the Dolphins 8 times in December and played in Miami exactly one time in September.
Sorry, but that doesn't happen by accident.
If it makes you feel any better, the Pats aren't the only team that gets special treatment. They're just the worst.
The Colts have to play road games against cold weather teams. I wish they didn't, but that's the way the schedule works.
Of 36 such games in the last 12 years only 6 have been in December.
The difference between you and I is that I can admit there's no way that isn't on purpose and there's no way you can admit that example after example of special treatment for your team is anything but coincidence.
Enjoy the Dolphins game. I hope the Pats don't wilt in the stifling mid December South Florida heat.

You're funny too when you rant.   Especially about weather.  LOL.   Very Happy 

You speak of "on purpose" vs. "coincidence".  I need actual and tangible real proof before I accept something is "on purpose".   That, my friend, is the difference between us.
  Without proof, I simply can't make the leaps that you do.   

I will try to enjoy the Dolphin game.  I don't really trust the defense, and I don't know who is going to catch the passes that Gronk would have caught.  Tommy could suffer from Andrew Luck minus Reggie Wayne syndrome.  But then again, Tommy is Tommy, so there is some hope. 

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:25 am

You're funny too when you rant.   Especially about weather.

Want one that's not weather related?
On average every team should play a team coming off their bye once a year.
This season, for the 10th time in 12 years, the Pats didn't.
I know you need video and sworn statements from all concerned, but that's pretty strange.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:33 am

I have a neighbor who said Gronk reminds him of Dan Morgan. A beast when he plays, but doesn't always play. I remembered the name, but I looked him up and it was true. Don't know if you remember him, but he had 18 tackles against NE in the Super Bowl.
I also found this. Any time you start to think Gronkowski is injury prone, remember this guy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Dan Morgan[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]#55

• Born: 12/19/1978, in Coral Springs, FL
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 245
  • College: Miami (FL)
  • Rookie Year: 2001
  • NFL Experience: 8 years

Read More: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

INJURIES
DateDays OutInjury
Nov 06, 2007 99 Ankle 
Nov 06, 2007 Ankle 
Nov 02, 2007  Ankle 
Oct 26, 2007  Ankle 
Oct 12, 2007  Ankle 
Oct 05, 2007  Ankle 
Oct 01, 2007 Achilles 
Sep 28, 2007  Ankle 
Aug 18, 2007 Concussion 
Oct 14, 2006 115 Concussion 
Oct 14, 2006 Concussion 
Oct 11, 2006  Concussion 
Oct 04, 2006  Concussion 
Sep 27, 2006  Concussion 
Sep 20, 2006  Concussion 
Sep 13, 2006  Concussion 
Sep 10, 2006 Left game - shoulder 
Jan 04, 2006  Shoulder 
Dec 28, 2005  Shoulder 
Dec 14, 2005  Ankle 
Dec 07, 2005  Ankle 
Nov 30, 2005  Ankle 
Nov 23, 2005  Ankle 
Oct 26, 2005  Shoulder 
Sep 21, 2005  Back 
Dec 08, 2004  Concussion 
Dec 01, 2004  Concussion 
Nov 24, 2004  Concussion 
Nov 17, 2004  Concussion 
Nov 10, 2004  Concussion 
Nov 03, 2004  Concussion 
Dec 17, 2003  Concussion 
Dec 10, 2003  Concussion 
Dec 03, 2003  Head 
Nov 05, 2003  Concussion 
Oct 29, 2003  Concussion 
Oct 22, 2003  Concussion 
Oct 19, 2003  Concussion 
Oct 08, 2003  Hamstring 
Oct 01, 2003  Hamstring 
Sep 24, 2003  Hamstring 
Sep 03, 2003  Hand 
Dec 12, 2002  Shoulder 
Dec 12, 2002 51 Shoulder 
Dec 04, 2002  Shoulder 
Nov 27, 2002  Shoulder 
Nov 24, 2002  Shoulder 
Nov 20, 2002  Hernia 
Nov 13, 2002  Hernia 
Nov 06, 2002  Hernia 
Oct 23, 2002  Groin 
Oct 16, 2002  Groin 
Oct 13, 2002  Strained left groin 
Sep 25, 2002  Knee 
Sep 22, 2002  Pulled left hamstring 
Dec 05, 2001  Ankle 
Nov 14, 2001  Ankle 
Nov 07, 2001  Ankle 
Nov 04, 2001  Sprained left ankle 
Oct 31, 2001  Leg 
Oct 24, 2001  Leg 
Oct 17, 2001  Leg 
Oct 10, 2001  Leg 
Oct 03, 2001  Leg 
Sep 30, 2001  Ankle 
Sep 09, 2001  Strained groin 

George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:44 pm

guppy wrote:

Awww....
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:39 pm

George1963 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have a neighbor who said Gronk reminds him of Dan Morgan. A beast when he plays, but doesn't always play. I remembered the name, but I looked him up and it was true. Don't know if you remember him, but he had 18 tackles against NE in the Super Bowl.
I also found this. Any time you start to think Gronkowski is injury prone, remember this guy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Dan Morgan[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]#55

• Born: 12/19/1978, in Coral Springs, FL
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 245
  • College: Miami (FL)
  • Rookie Year: 2001
  • NFL Experience: 8 years

INJURIES
DateDays OutInjury
Nov 06, 2007 99 Ankle 
Nov 06, 2007 Ankle 
Nov 02, 2007  Ankle 
Oct 26, 2007  Ankle 
Oct 12, 2007  Ankle 
Oct 05, 2007  Ankle 
Oct 01, 2007 Achilles 
Sep 28, 2007  Ankle 
Aug 18, 2007 Concussion 
Oct 14, 2006 115 Concussion 
Oct 14, 2006 Concussion 
Oct 11, 2006  Concussion 
Oct 04, 2006  Concussion 
Sep 27, 2006  Concussion 
Sep 20, 2006  Concussion 
Sep 13, 2006  Concussion 
Sep 10, 2006 Left game - shoulder 
Jan 04, 2006  Shoulder 
Dec 28, 2005  Shoulder 
Dec 14, 2005  Ankle 
Dec 07, 2005  Ankle 
Nov 30, 2005  Ankle 
Nov 23, 2005  Ankle 
Oct 26, 2005  Shoulder 
Sep 21, 2005  Back 
Dec 08, 2004  Concussion 
Dec 01, 2004  Concussion 
Nov 24, 2004  Concussion 
Nov 17, 2004  Concussion 
Nov 10, 2004  Concussion 
Nov 03, 2004  Concussion 
Dec 17, 2003  Concussion 
Dec 10, 2003  Concussion 
Dec 03, 2003  Head 
Nov 05, 2003  Concussion 
Oct 29, 2003  Concussion 
Oct 22, 2003  Concussion 
Oct 19, 2003  Concussion 
Oct 08, 2003  Hamstring 
Oct 01, 2003  Hamstring 
Sep 24, 2003  Hamstring 
Sep 03, 2003  Hand 
Dec 12, 2002  Shoulder 
Dec 12, 2002 51 Shoulder 
Dec 04, 2002  Shoulder 
Nov 27, 2002  Shoulder 
Nov 24, 2002  Shoulder 
Nov 20, 2002  Hernia 
Nov 13, 2002  Hernia 
Nov 06, 2002  Hernia 
Oct 23, 2002  Groin 
Oct 16, 2002  Groin 
Oct 13, 2002  Strained left groin 
Sep 25, 2002  Knee 
Sep 22, 2002  Pulled left hamstring 
Dec 05, 2001  Ankle 
Nov 14, 2001  Ankle 
Nov 07, 2001  Ankle 
Nov 04, 2001  Sprained left ankle 
Oct 31, 2001  Leg 
Oct 24, 2001  Leg 
Oct 17, 2001  Leg 
Oct 10, 2001  Leg 
Oct 03, 2001  Leg 
Sep 30, 2001  Ankle 
Sep 09, 2001  Strained groin 

WOW.  You do have to wonder about Gronk and injuries long term.  Its a damn shame.  He's so fun to watch.  Very frustrating. 

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:52 pm

George1963 wrote:
You're funny too when you rant.   Especially about weather.

Want one that's not weather related?
On average every team should play a team coming off their bye once a year.
This season, for the 10th time in 12 years, the Pats didn't.
I know you need video and sworn statements from all concerned, but that's pretty strange.

10th time in 12 years?  Hmmm.  Sounds like if a team is coming off a bye, then they would be rusty, and prime for a defeat.  And rather than allow the Pats to play a team with rust all over them because they were on their bye and when they come back they are not going to be sharp right away, the league makes the Pats play against teams that are humming and finely tuned playing at the peak of their game.   The league seems to be throwing the Pats right into the fire all the time.  How's that sound?

The 10 in 12 years stat you cite is a pretty obscure one to me.  But its very close to a more meaningful stat that I do happen to be aware of, and that is 10 in 11 years.  What is 10 in 11 years you ask?  Ok, I'll tell you.  If the Pats beat or tie the Fins Sunday, that will give them 10 division titles in the last 11 years.   And don't poo poo division championships.  We know they are important. 

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down