Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One vote for changing "Redskins"

+3
CatalinaMinx
George1963
guppy
7 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

One vote for changing "Redskins" - Page 4 Empty Re: One vote for changing "Redskins"

Post by George1963 Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:51 am

Anybody want to work up some righteous indignation over this one?

High School's Arab Mascot Has Headscarf, Is Accompanied By Belly Dancers At Sports Games

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

One vote for changing "Redskins" - Page 4 Empty Re: One vote for changing "Redskins"

Post by ~Sheila~ Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:12 am

George1963 wrote:Anybody want to work up some righteous indignation over this one?

High School's Arab Mascot Has Headscarf, Is Accompanied By Belly Dancers At Sports Games

Back in the 1920's, was it offensive, no probably not.  Is it offensive now, not so sure, but with all the 'politically correct' crap constantly being thrown at us, yeah, it probably should be done away with. 

I heard on the radio the other day that 90% of announcers refer to the Washington Redskins as just Washington now.
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:29 pm

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:55 pm

~Sheila~ wrote:

Back in the 1920's, was it offensive, no probably not.  Is it offensive now, not so sure, but with all the 'politically correct' crap constantly being thrown at us, yeah, it probably should be done away with. 

Well, Sheila, leading conservative and chief Obama hater Charles Krauthammer who writes opinion pieces in the Washington Post would seem to agree with you regarding words having different meanings today than they did in the past.  He says, "The fact is, words don't stand still.  They evolve."  And it is for that reason, he favors dumping the Redskins name, even though there is no insult intended by the word, nor was there any intended way back when, when it was first chosen. 

Mr. Krauthammer says its not about political correctness.  Rather, he identifies the issue thusly: 

"What’s at issue is not high principle but adaptation to a change in linguistic nuance."

In other words, says Charles, its simply time for a change, ie, time to "adapt". 

Interesting article by a leading spokesman of the far right, if one cares to read it.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:45 pm

guppy wrote:
~Sheila~ wrote:

Well, Sheila, leading conservative and chief Obama hater Charles Krauthammer who writes opinion pieces in the Washington Post would seem to agree with you regarding words having different meanings today than they did in the past.  He says, "The fact is, words don't stand still.  They evolve."  And it is for that reason, he favors dumping the Redskins name, even though there is no insult intended by the word, nor was there any intended way back when, when it was first chosen. 

Mr. Krauthammer says its not about political correctness.  Rather, he identifies the issue thusly: 

"What’s at issue is not high principle but adaptation to a change in linguistic nuance."

In other words, says Charles, its simply time for a change, ie, time to "adapt". 

Interesting article by a leading spokesman of the far right, if one cares to read it.

Interesting article indeed.  I really like, "The fact is, words don't stand still.  They evolve."   I find this to be very true. 

A line from the Flintstones just popped into my head, "You'll have a gay old time."   They probably wouldn't write that song today using the word gay like that. 
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:47 pm

~Sheila~ wrote:

Interesting article indeed.  I really like, "The fact is, words don't stand still.  They evolve."   I find this to be very true. 

A line from the Flintstones just popped into my head, "You'll have a gay old time."   They probably wouldn't write that song today using the word gay like that. 

"Thats so gay."  LOL.  I don't know about your kids, but kids around here would say, "That's so gay." about a thousand times a day.  But that was the middle school years.   I don't hear that at all anymore like I used to.  We're now past that phase, thank God.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:11 pm

George1963 wrote:Anybody want to work up some righteous indignation over this one?

Pretty large and hooked schnoz on that mascot wouldn't you say?  But all Arabs have big hooked noses, right?  lol.  I'm sure no stereotyping was intended when they created it years ago.  But it was interesting to read some of the posts and comments after the article - one of which said, "Shouldn't he be wearing a suicide vest?"   That tells you something right there.   All good intentions of its creators aside,  that mascot is just not working for me in today's world.

I'm just wondering who the football team plays as their traditional crosstown rivals on Thanksgiving Day?   The "Jews"?
   I can just see it now.  The whole student body in the stands cheering in rhythm:

"Lets Go Arabs. 

We can't lose. 

Lets go Arabs. 

Beat the Jews."

LOL.

I can't work up any righteous indignation over this one George.  I simply think the mascot sucks.  LOL.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Something tells me I should be offended by the CFLs newest expansion team. I'm just not sure why.

George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:14 pm

George1963 wrote:Something tells me I should be offended by the CFLs newest expansion team. I'm just not sure why.

If you want, I'll start a grassroots movement to apply pressure for them to change the name.

And while I'm at it, I can work on these ones for you also:

But notwithstanding the obvious offensive nature of the above, I would never advocate letting any of the product go to waste.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:39 pm

guppy wrote:
George1963 wrote:Something tells me I should be offended by the CFLs newest expansion team. I'm just not sure why.

If you want, I'll start a grassroots movement to apply pressure for them to change the name.

But notwithstanding the obvious offensive nature of the above, I would never advocate letting any of the product go to waste.
Scotch drinker, are ya?  I could never acquire a taste for scotch.
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:23 am

~Sheila~ wrote:
guppy wrote:

It's vile, nasty stuff that only old men and pretentious D-bags drink.
I think Gup's old. I can see him enjoying a nice scotch before dinner.

George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:30 am

George1963 wrote:
~Sheila~ wrote:
guppy wrote:

It's vile, nasty stuff that only old men and pretentious D-bags drink.
I think Gup's old. I can see him enjoying a nice scotch before dinner.

One of my gf's drinks Rob Roy's, I've tried it numerous times, nope, just don't like it!
And...Gup is not old!!
  Razz
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:53 am

George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:56 am

One of my gf's drinks Rob Roy's, I've tried it numerous times, nope, just don't like it!

How's that work? "OK three more. But if I don't like it by then, I give up!".  drunken 
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Sheila~ Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:28 am

George1963 wrote:One of my gf's drinks Rob Roy's, I've tried it numerous times, nope, just don't like it!

How's that work? "OK three more. But if I don't like it by then, I give up!".  drunken 
LOL!  She said I would acquire a taste for it, so when we'd be out on different occasions I'd try it once again, but finally just gave up! 
~Sheila~
~Sheila~
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:49 am

~Sheila~ wrote:
George1963 wrote:One of my gf's drinks Rob Roy's, I've tried it numerous times, nope, just don't like it!

LOL!  She said I would acquire a taste for it, so when we'd be out on different occasions I'd try it once again, but finally just gave up! 

May I suggest an alternative?  I'm certain you can get these "Limited Edition" 2013 World Series Champion Budweisers from St. Louis very cheap about now. Very Happy 

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4