Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Order is restored

5 posters

Go down

Order is restored Empty Order is restored

Post by duck Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:11 pm

It was not a pretty game.  Who'd a thunk it would be a defensive struggle until Rodgers-to-Jones broke it open?  However, the bottom line is that Green Bay prevailed against the Megatron-less Lions, went to 2-2 and the division race is wide open.

Lots of unsung heros this game.  Lacy for his steady hard running.  We just don't see negative yardage from this guy -- what a change!  Crosby, despite all my grousing, has been money all year.  Neal looks like he's finally paying dividends.  Ditto for Perry.  Nelson is the undisputed master of the sideline tope tap.  The offensive line, under heavy pressure, gave up just one sack and opened up lots of holes for the running backs.  Hawk was solid.  I love James Jones.  Can you believe he tested free agency and we almost lost him??  Same love for Cobb.

I was actually worried in the first half when it appeared our offense could do nothing and Detroit predictably gashed the Capers defense at the end for a FG.  Rodgers looked a little frustrated because his receivers were dropping the ball.

I hope Matthews and our other linebackers are okay.  All we need is an injury run at one position.

I've lost patience with Finley.  Franklin concerns me too -- we don't need another fumbling Ross.

However, all in all, I'll take an ugly win.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Order is restored Empty Re: Order is restored

Post by MB20 Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:23 pm

If there is a head coach who does more to actively hamper his team's success, I'd like to see it. That this offense struggles this much with this kind of talent is bullshit. Break tendency once in a while there, Mr. Play-Caller Extraordinaire. He's so focused on faking people out instead of just doing what his team does best. If I have to see one more fucking 3rd-and-1 bomb...

Our secondary's tackling is atrocious. But Nick Perry might be a player after all.

Can Crosby do it when the game is on the line because MM called another retarded third-and-short play to leave him with a 51-yarder to win the game?

The Lions are still hot garbage underneath the deodorant that is Calvin Johnson.

The interior of the OL played pretty well today.

James Jones should get 3 more years.

These injuries are a crock.

Ryan Taylor... dude, really?

I'm gonna go celebrate by taking a nap

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:31 pm

If there is a head coach who does more to actively hamper his team's success, I'd like to see it. That this offense struggles this much with this kind of talent is bullshit. Break tendency once in a while there, Mr. Play-Caller Extraordinaire. He's so focused on faking people out instead of just doing what his team does best. If I have to see one more fucking 3rd-and-1 bomb...

Terrible on short yardage calls especially when you are running the ball satisfactorily. Then he calls 2 timeouts to give the Lions time to get down in FG range. Just take the 6-0 lead at halftime and come out in the 2nd half. Always backfires on him.
Crosby deserves the game ball today. Don't know what they put in his Wheaties. Now I believe we miss Crabtree. We still have to spread teams out a lot better than we have. We used to have Jennings or Driver as that other choice for ARod. Now we have ????
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:41 pm

MB20 wrote:If there is a head coach who does more to actively hamper his team's success, I'd like to see it. That this offense struggles this much with this kind of talent is bullshit. Break tendency once in a while there, Mr. Play-Caller Extraordinaire. He's so focused on faking people out instead of just doing what his team does best. If I have to see one more fucking 3rd-and-1 bomb...

Yup.  Sheer idiocy.  I've liked to give Fatty the benefit of the doubt at times in the past because there are times that he proves to be just slow--and not a full-on idiot...but his lack of judgment when it comes to probabilities in his play-calling, particularly 3rd and short, proves to be his most unsettling inadequacy.  I've quite frankly given up on him.  When you're running up the gut and gashing the D at will all game long and call a play-action roll-out into the endzone on 3rd down when you only need one yard for a fresh 4--after his many year hsitory of similarly blowing the play call in that situation--that's not slow.  He just doesn't have it.  That Lions team should have had the doors blown off it today.  A good team would have made this already the third game of the season that McFatty coached his way out of a W.

Our secondary's tackling is atrocious. But Nick Perry might be a player after all.

Can Crosby do it when the game is on the line because MM called another retarded third-and-short play to leave him with a 51-yarder to win the game?

The Lions are still hot garbage underneath the deodorant that is Calvin Johnson.

The interior of the OL played pretty well today.

James Jones should get 3 more years.

These injuries are a crock.

Ryan Taylor... dude, really?

I'm gonna go celebrate by taking a nap

Nice overall assessment.  Pretty much right on the mark...

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:13 pm

Yup.  Sheer idiocy.  I've liked to give Fatty the benefit of the doubt at times in the past because there are times that he proves to be just slow--and not a full-on idiot...but his lack of judgment when it comes to probabilities in his play-calling, particularly 3rd and short, proves to be his most unsettling inadequacy.  I've quite frankly given up on him.  When you're running up the gut and gashing the D at will all game long and call a play-action roll-out into the endzone on 3rd down when you only need one yard for a fresh 4--after his many year hsitory of similarly blowing the play call in that situation--that's not slow.  He just doesn't have it.  That Lions team should have had the doors blown off it today.  A good team would have made this already the third game of the season that McFatty coached his way out of a W.

You guys lack perspective.  Despite the sluggish start, I was very happy with MM's game plan and play calling today.  Perhaps you can nitpick one call here and there but otherwise he called the game the way it needed to be run against a team with a strong interior pass rush:  lots of runs (and Lacy and the line did well) and short passes.  When the opportunity presented itself, Rodgers went deep with success.  Had Taylor not dropped a likely TD and Jones' second TD not been negated, the score differential would have been greater.

449 total yards, 180 on the ground and only one sack.  At one point, Lacy converted a 3rd-and-3 play on the ground.  When was the last time that ever happened in Green Bay?  Where's the beef??

And all this crap about our offensive line?  Bullshit.  This is a solid unit.  They've faced some pretty tough defenses four games in a row and yet we have have top 5 offensive production in a variety of departments, including running.

EVERY FAN BASE bitches about the play calling and thinks their offensive line is shit because you see a few ugly sacks or running plays get stuffed.  That's just the way fans are.

I'm quite content with MM's play calling and coaching right now and I also think our offensive line is at least average.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:16 pm

2 failures on 3rd and 1,a long pass and a pass tipped,where is some backfield trickery or just fuckin run it as the offense was spread out grrrrr.Perry looked good with a strip and a sack while lining up over left tackle.MD jennings equals our bush in covering and cant tackle.

Why on 3rd and 10 or so does capers rush only 3? and still the pass gets completed,he did this at least 3 times today with them getting first down.Franklin equals cant be trusted without fumbling,our tight ends dont catch passes down the middle like lions were.

This offense looks so vanilla,was the lions defense that good or fatty just that stale in his playcalling?
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:23 pm

throttleplate wrote:2 failures on 3rd and 1,a long pass and a pass tipped,where is some backfield trickery or just fuckin run it as the offense was spread out grrrrr.Perry looked good with a strip and a sack while lining up over left tackle.MD jennings equals our bush in covering and cant tackle.

Why on 3rd and 10 or so does capers rush only 3? and still the pass gets completed,he did this at least 3 times today with them getting first down.Franklin equals cant be trusted without fumbling,our tight ends dont catch passes down the middle like lions were.

This offense looks so vanilla,was the lions defense that good or fatty just that stale in his playcalling?

Don't get me going on Capers, even though on balance his unit performed relatively well today against the Megatron-less Lions.

As I recall, the Packers didn't rush three on those consecutive 3rd-and-10 completions at the end of the first half... they brought pressure.  But the game plan to beat Capers' predictable blitzes is to hit the open receiver in the middle area that was vacated by the blitzing defender.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:24 pm

duck wrote:If there is a head coach who does more to actively hamper his team's success, I'd like to see it. That this offense struggles this much with this kind of talent is bullshit. Break tendency once in a while there, Mr. Play-Caller Extraordinaire. He's so focused on faking people out instead of just doing what his team does best. If I have to see one more fucking 3rd-and-1 bomb...

You guys lack perspective.  Despite the sluggish start, I was very happy with MM's game plan and play calling today.  Perhaps you can nitpick one call here and there but otherwise he called the game the way it needed to be run against a team with a strong interior pass rush:  lots of runs (and Lacy and the line did well) and short passes.  When the opportunity presented itself, Rodgers went deep with success.  Had Taylor not dropped a likely TD and Jones' second TD not been negated, the score differential would have been greater.

449 total yards, 180 on the ground and only one sack.  At one point, Lacy converted a 3rd-and-3 play on the ground.  When was the last time that ever happened in Green Bay?  Where's the beef??

And all this crap about our offensive line?  Bullshit.  This is a solid unit.  They've faced some pretty tough defenses four games in a row and yet we have have top 5 offensive production in a variety of departments, including running.

EVERY FAN BASE bitches about the play calling and thinks their offensive line is shit because you see a few ugly sacks or running plays get stuffed.  That's just the way fans are.

I'm quite content with MM's play calling and coaching right now and I also think our offensive line is at least average.
Ok.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:41 pm

HD wrote:
 That Lions team should have had the doors blown off it today.
It was 22-3 with two minutes left. 

A 19-point lead in the NFL with 2 minutes to go? That's a car with no doors.

An ugly, boring game, and the Packers clearly aren't where they need to be. But this was a "must" win game.

I'll fucking take it and sleep well tonight.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:16 pm

JnC4GB wrote:
HD wrote:

An ugly, boring game, and the Packers clearly aren't where they need to be. But this was a "must" win game.

Oh, I ain't givin' it back... but there is much room to grow this season.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:16 pm

duck wrote:If there is a head coach who does more to actively hamper his team's success, I'd like to see it. That this offense struggles this much with this kind of talent is bullshit. Break tendency once in a while there, Mr. Play-Caller Extraordinaire. He's so focused on faking people out instead of just doing what his team does best. If I have to see one more fucking 3rd-and-1 bomb...

You are correct in that it is a matter of perspective, Duck...  Your breakdown, however, is in that yours to too limited in scale...

What MB and I are referencing are the big picture systemic strategic play-calling breakdowns at critical junctures--most notably 3rd/short that Fatty proves ill-equipped to overcome.  I have no general problem with the way they game-planned for this specific game and my comments were not so directed...

Regardless, this game should have been an utter blowout.  It wasn't.  In fact--it was anyone's ballgame throughout much of it.  The W is great--but this team continues to reak of an underperformer...and this has been the big-picture trend for a troubling period of time now.  Something needs to change from a leadership approach or this team, like last season, will achieve nothing close to what they could/should...  Yes, it was a win--but hardly a satisfying one from my vantage point... 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:57 pm

JnC4GB wrote:
HD wrote:

They prevailed by lousy 13 points over a team they should have beaten by far more than that and certainly played down to their level of competition once again.  I hardly call that blowing anyone's doors off--basically a two score game...

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:04 pm

We are not nitpicking MM's playcalling. He called the plunge at Cincy and it lost the game. But he does not pick up on how his team is playing and how the opposition is playing at a specific point in time.  If Philbin were still here calling plays these FG drives might get us 6 instead. Let ARod call the plays himself ala Peyton.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:11 pm

milani wrote:We are not nitpicking MM's playcalling. He called the plunge at Cincy and it lost the game. But he does not pick up on how his team is playing and how the opposition is playing at a specific point in time.  If Philbin were still here calling plays these FG drives might get us 6 instead. Let ARod call the plays himself ala Peyton.
Philbin primarily did the game-planning throughout the week and thus provided the foundation for the play-calling on Sundays...but it has always been Fatty who actually made the call during the game...

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:00 am

_HD_ wrote:

You are correct in that it is a matter of perspective, Duck...  Your breakdown, however, is in that yours to too limited in scale...

What MB and I are referencing are the big picture systemic strategic play-calling breakdowns at critical junctures--most notably 3rd/short that Fatty proves ill-equipped to overcome.  I have no general problem with the way they game-planned for this specific game and my comments were not so directed...

Regardless, this game should have been an utter blowout.  It wasn't.  In fact--it was anyone's ballgame throughout much of it.  The W is great--but this team continues to reak of an underperformer...and this has been the big-picture trend for a troubling period of time now.  Something needs to change from a leadership approach or this team, like last season, will achieve nothing close to what they could/should...  Yes, it was a win--but hardly a satisfying one from my vantage point... 
No, it was not a greatly satisfying win.  To the contrary, it was the kind of game the Packers were simply EXPECTED to win and a loss would have been an absolute disaster.  To lose a divisional game at home, after the bye, to a team they've beaten at Lambeau since forever, and which would have put them 2.5 games behind in the division -- ugh.

As you say, it was a tight game until Rodgers found Jones for the deep TD, but after that, I knew the game was in the bag.

Regarding Fatty's play calling, I predict you will find it more to your liking in the future.  Why?  Simply because we now have a legit running game and he has more options.  You're correct that he's struggled with 3rd-and-short for years, but how could he not with the carousel of mediocre running backs we've had during his entire tenure?  Frankly, I'm impressed our offense has functioned as well as it has, given those limitations.

My point is that I keep hearing criticisms of Fatty and our O-line and yet, when you look at our offensive production in terms of both yards and points, they've got to be doing something right.

I wonder what the Patriot fans are saying about Belichick and Brady right now after they could muster only two FGs against the Bengals.

It's just the nature of fans to grouse.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:03 am

Until further notice Ryan Taylor is on my shitlist. Almost wipped the remote at my flatscreen when he dropped that pass.

I miss Tom Crabtree.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:10 am

JnC4GB wrote:Until further notice Ryan Taylor is on my shitlist. Almost wipped the remote at my flatscreen when he dropped that pass.

I miss Tom Crabtree.

Agreed on both counts.

Here's an interesting perspective however...  anyone notice that Mike Neal has blossomed into a very productive player this year?  The guy is playing great!  And yet everyone, myself included, wrote him off years ago.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down