Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do the Packers Miss John Dorsey?

3 posters

Go down

Do the Packers Miss John Dorsey? Empty Do the Packers Miss John Dorsey?

Post by TuckAndRoll Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:05 am

Howdy Packer Fans.

I'm a KC Chief fan and I thought I'd come on over here and ask you folks what you all thought about the Chiefs new GM John Dorsey?

I know very little about his time with the Packers. My first impression of him was good. He comes off as a stand up, strictly business kind of guy but also exudes a lot of confidence about the future of the Chiefs. He recently referred to the Chiefs franchise as the crown jewel of the NFL!

As a proud Chiefs fan I welcome these kind words and his apparent appreciation of the history of this organization. But referring to the Chiefs as the crown jewel kind of made me feel like he was pouring it on a little to thick.

There is nothing I hate more than a snake oil salesman and I just hope to god that this boy has got the goods to back up that which is coming out of his mouth. That's why I was hoping you Packer Fans might know something more about him then what the KC propaganda press machine is willing to release.

We've had a hard, last few seasons here in KC and with these recent front office, coaching and QB changes, there is a feeling of renewed hope around here.

Your Packers team is always successful and it looks like they are set to make another run this season. I'm hoping ex-Packer John Dorsey and ex-Packer assistant coach Andy Reid bring some of that Packer style success to the Chiefs!

Best of luck to you all and I'm looking forward to stopping by now and then to talk some football.
TuckAndRoll
TuckAndRoll

Back to top Go down

Do the Packers Miss John Dorsey? Empty Re: Do the Packers Miss John Dorsey?

Post by milani Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:03 pm

You now have two very good football men. They will bring new life and success to the Chiefs organization.
Although Reid was unable to win a SB he brought consistent winning with playoff appearances to Philly that was absent for a number of years prior to him. And he did this in a division with two heavyweights year and year out in Dallas and the Giants. He was fortunate to have Jimmy Johnson as a defensive co-ordinator for so long. He won with a wide variety of players in key positions. Had we beaten the 9ers back in that Owens' playoff game in 98' he most likely would have been our next head coach instead of Ray Rhodes.  Good Luck.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:24 pm

TuckAndRoll wrote:Howdy Packer Fans.

I'm a KC Chief fan and I thought I'd come on over here and ask you folks what you all thought about the Chiefs new GM John Dorsey?

I know very little about his time with the Packers. My first impression of him was good. He comes off as a stand up, strictly business kind of guy but also exudes a lot of confidence about the future of the Chiefs. He recently referred to the Chiefs franchise as the crown jewel of the NFL!

As a proud Chiefs fan I welcome these kind words and his apparent appreciation of the history of this organization. But referring to the Chiefs as the crown jewel kind of made me feel like he was pouring it on a little to thick.

There is nothing I hate more than a snake oil salesman and I just hope to god that this boy has got the goods to back up that which is coming out of his mouth. That's why I was hoping you Packer Fans might know something more about him then what the KC propaganda press machine is willing to release.

We've had a hard, last few seasons here in KC and with these recent front office, coaching and QB changes, there is a feeling of renewed hope around here.

Your Packers team is always successful and it looks like they are set to make another run this season. I'm hoping ex-Packer John Dorsey and ex-Packer assistant coach Andy Reid bring some of that Packer style success to the Chiefs!

Best of luck to you all and I'm looking forward to stopping by now and then to talk some football.

The parable of *Jesus and the Fishes* in the bible is very illustrative in scenarios like this in trying to separate the studs from the duds.  Many make the mistake in assuming that just because one has many fish--that one must be very good at fishing.  It's been my experience that few truly are good at actual fishing--but can become very good at collecting the collateral fish overflowing the nets of he/she they may be fortunate enough to affiliate with who is...and that's not a fisherman...

My sense is that Dorsey is one of those who diligently watched, studied, listened and learned--but in a formulaic way of how to fish, and thus to the extent that circumstances are repeatable in KC to how he operated in GB--he can be successful...but however mostly limited to that extent.  So then--is Dorsey a true fisherman?  No...but if he is capable and holds enough power in that organization to structure a system based on the model in GB--it could produce enough fish to keep everyone generally fed...  As you point out in his *crown jewel* reference...it's over the top and doesn't apply in KC.  However--that's what he learned in GB, where it does apply.  He saw Ron Wolf use it...he saw Mike Holmgren use it and he saw Ted Thompson use it.  Like I said--formulaic--he's trying to pound it in a hole where it just doesn't fit...  That's what he learned a GM needs to say...but a true fisherman doesn't go to new waters pan fishing with musky bait, eh?

My greatest concern, however, on John Dorsey--is that he took the job in KC top begin with.  We discussed this in some detail at the time.  There simply is no GM worth his stripes who would submit to accepting a job in a dysfunctional leadership hierarchy like KC promotes.  The fact he willingly accepted that job is just about as telling an indication as there is as to his caliber...but snake oil salesman?  No.  The man is high integrity and will always try to do the right thing as he tirelessly works his ass off for the organization.  The problem is--there really just isn't anything particularly exceptional about him...  He'll rap that 4-banger up to the redline for sure--but the bitch may overheat if you make it into the mountains...  Cool 

It's Andy Reid's show in KC.  He has complete control and as we saw in Philly--the success of his team's declined as Andy Reid grabbed more and more power.  If he just pulled back into a head coaching role--then you'd have something...but Clark Hunt has demonstrated that he is little more than an idiot in how he approached the whole makeover in power that brought Reid and Dorsey in, and, as they say--like the seed of genius--the seed of fools trickles down from the top...Wink 

John Schneider was the front office man in GB who was the one to get...  His baskets will always be full because he knows how to fish.  Big difference in that from learning how to fish...

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:32 am

_HD_ wrote:

The parable of *Jesus and the Fishes* in the bible is very illustrative in scenarios like this in trying to separate the studs from the duds.  Many make the mistake in assuming that just because one has many fish--that one must be very good at fishing.  It's been my experience that few truly are good at actual fishing--but can become very good at collecting the collateral fish overflowing the nets of he/she they may be fortunate enough to affiliate with who is...and that's not a fisherman...

My sense is that Dorsey is one of those who diligently watched, studied, listened and learned--but in a formulaic way of how to fish, and thus to the extent that circumstances are repeatable in KC to how he operated in GB--he can be successful...but however mostly limited to that extent.  So then--is Dorsey a true fisherman?  No...but if he is capable and holds enough power in that organization to structure a system based on the model in GB--it could produce enough fish to keep everyone generally fed...  As you point out in his *crown jewel* reference...it's over the top and doesn't apply in KC.  However--that's what he learned in GB, where it does apply.  He saw Ron Wolf use it...he saw Mike Holmgren use it and he saw Ted Thompson use it.  Like I said--formulaic--he's trying to pound it in a hole where it just doesn't fit...  That's what he learned a GM needs to say...but a true fisherman doesn't go to new waters pan fishing with musky bait, eh?

My greatest concern, however, on John Dorsey--is that he took the job in KC top begin with.  We discussed this in some detail at the time.  There simply is no GM worth his stripes who would submit to accepting a job in a dysfunctional leadership hierarchy like KC promotes.  The fact he willingly accepted that job is just about as telling an indication as there is as to his caliber...but snake oil salesman?  No.  The man is high integrity and will always try to do the right thing as he tirelessly works his ass off for the organization.  The problem is--there really just isn't anything particularly exceptional about him...  He'll rap that 4-banger up to the redline for sure--but the bitch may overheat if you make it into the mountains...  Cool 

It's Andy Reid's show in KC.  He has complete control and as we saw in Philly--the success of his team's declined as Andy Reid grabbed more and more power.  If he just pulled back into a head coaching role--then you'd have something...but Clark Hunt has demonstrated that he is little more than an idiot in how he approached the whole makeover in power that brought Reid and Dorsey in, and, as they say--like the seed of genius--the seed of fools trickles down from the top...Wink 

John Schneider was the front office man in GB who was the one to get...  His baskets will always be full because he knows how to fish.  Big difference in that from learning how to fish...

Wow.  Two thoughtful and well written posts.  We're too far away from the regular season for that!

I don't claim to have as much a handle on Dorsey's psyche as you, HD, but my sense is that, despite the shortcomings you outline, he could be decent.  As you suggest, he will likely be formulaic in his approach -- but the formula he learned in Green Bay and Seattle is a good one.  

Kansas City could do much worse than a young and enthusiastic executive diligently applying a proven formula.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:50 am

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

Wow.  Two thoughtful and well written posts.  We're too far away from the regular season for that!

I don't claim to have as much a handle on Dorsey's psyche as you, HD, but my sense is that, despite the shortcomings you outline, he could be decent.  As you suggest, he will likely be formulaic in his approach -- but the formula he learned in Green Bay and Seattle is a good one.  

Kansas City could do much worse than a young and enthusiastic executive diligently applying a proven formula.

For sure, Duck--he could turn out to be great.  I've never met the man so I can't pretend to have any great insight into his capabilities...but people make choices and people take actions and these choices/actions are obviously very reflective of their capabilities and/or dysfunction.  At this point no one knows for sure on Dorsey.  There is too little demonstated body of work out there on him and that's why tuning in properly to what there is becomes very important in making a hire like that...but one thing's for certain:  A players don't put themselves in positions where the world flows upstream...and that's what Dorsey appears to have done.

Back to top Go down

Post by TuckAndRoll Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:44 am

_HD_ wrote:

Thank you for sharing your perspective on Dorsey, the Pack and Chiefs. These are some very interesting, insightful and provocative comments on the inner workings of these vastly different organizations and the personalities involved. I guarantee you that I haven't read anything like that (with regards to Dorsey) in any of the local rags or Chiefs fan sites.

It's clear to me that Dorsey comes from good stock (the Packers and Seahawks) but the questions remain wether or not he is merely bringing a reflection of that stock to the Chiefs - but lacks the necessary ingredients to duplicate it - Or, is he an independent thinker and only relying on his past for the lessons he learned on how to succeed in his new role?

From my observations, it is pretty easy to predict what to expect out of Andy Reid basically because he has a record to refer to. As of now, I am fairly comfortable with him as the Chiefs new head coach. My only real concern with him is how his offensive system will marry-up with the type of quarterback they now have in Smith.

With a qb like Alex Smith, I see Reid needing to game plan quite differently then he has shown in the past. IMO, Reid's success can be partially attributed to the extraordinary athleticism of some of the QB's he's coached in the past.

For example - throughout much of McNabb's career, he was very agile and mobile in the pocket - very able to extend the play and win many games as a direct result. And when his legs where finally no good anymore Reid turned to Kolb who had a good arm and whose legs were fine - yet they were not necessarily one of his strengths. And thus, Kolb's less-than stellar running ability was quickly taken advantage of by Clay Mathews, who put Kolb out of the game with a concussion.

And as everyone knows, that opened the door for the insertion of the dog killer. Once again, Reid had some legs that comforted him. Throughout the rest of the season Injuries to both Kolb and the dog killer kept the Qb position in limbo. But in the end, when the time came to make the definitive decision on who would ultimately have the starting job, Reid choose the killers legs over Kolb's arm. So over much of Reid's career you could definitely say that he was a leg man and for good reason - those legs helped him win a lot of games.

Now with Smith, I'm not quite seeing the leg attraction there that would fit the profile of an Andy Reid style offense. Especially now with talk of the Chiefs wanting to commit to using the "run option and pistol offense" - Smith's athletic abilities and playing style don't automatically stand out as examples of what a coach might look for to operate such a system. What I'm saying is - is I don't see the "run option" complementing Smith's strengths.

I appreciate your response - the Chiefs page is a ghost town. I'm hoping that changes once the season begins.
TuckAndRoll
TuckAndRoll

Back to top Go down

Post by TuckAndRoll Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 am

duck wrote:

I agree that the Chiefs could have done worse then Dorsey. In fact, for the most part, I like what I've seen and heard from the man up this point. He's in a though position though and will need to prove his wroth. So we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the compliment.
TuckAndRoll
TuckAndRoll

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:05 pm

Giving you Dorsey is worth it. 30+ years ago Wayne Larivee was the voice of Chiefs radio and now he has been our cheerleader for quite some time.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down