Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reasons for optimism

4 posters

Go down

Reasons for optimism Empty Reasons for optimism

Post by duck Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Okay, I admit it. I'm doing this, not because I really buy into it, but to offset the wave of pessimism that permeates this board. I tend to be conservative and resist ANY trending mindsets.

First of all, as we will see when we do out yearly predictions, they will fall within a range of 9-7 to 13-3. Nobody, I repeat NOBODY, is going to predict a losing season for this club; and I'm sure everyone has us penciled in for the playoffs.

Next, he may end up being overpaid or perhaps prematurely paid, but surely no Packer fan is unhappy with Aaron Rodgers. He might be the best QB to ever play the game, very likely the best QB in the game right now, and at the very least one of the top QBs in the league. Bottom line, his presence alone gives us a shot to go all the way.

Even with the loss of Jennings, our offense is likely to get even better. Rodgers is in his prime, Cobb has become a major weapon, Finley ramped it up in the latter part of 2012, and Harris has been a steal. If we can just pick up another pounder like Benson, our offense will be well-rounded.

The offensive line was riddled with injuries in 2012. As a result, we now have more linemen with game experience. This unit should be more effective this year and certainly the ridiculous number of 51 sacks given up should go down.

Our defense is significantly improved over 2011 and we can expect better production from a lot of new faces in 2013. Watch for the players drafted in 2012 to emerge. Even Mike Neal showed some signs of life last year. Jolly could be the joker in the deck.

We hear a lot about all the draft picks the Niners have, but not only do the Packers have better than their full compliment of draft picks, but they could be getting Bulaga, Sherrod and Perry back next year. That in essence gives us FOUR #1 draft picks. (I have my doubts about Sherrod, however.)

There is no reason to assume that TT will not continue to draft effectively, as he has done so his entire career. That suggests we will get some much needed help in the draft.

McCarthy did some growing in 2012. He learned against the Bears that he can get too cute with his gadgets and gambles, and we can expect steadier game calling from him in 2013. He tends to coach better as an underdog than a front runner, and I think the team will respond to having the Niners move ahead of them.

Capers, while not under any pressure from his superiors, must realize his unit once again let us down in the playoffs. if he has any pride and any concerns for his job security, we can expect a better coaching job from him. Finally, he has more youth and speed to work with, and perhaps his vaunted schemes will finally work.

There you go. I'm not sending out invitations to an August Super Bowl party like the Vikings' fans always have, but I do think the Packers prospects for 2013 are not as gloomy as many on this board suggest. Very Happy
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Reasons for optimism Empty Reasons for Pessimism

Post by milani Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:35 pm

duck wrote:Okay, I admit it. I'm doing this, not because I really buy into it, but to offset the wave of pessimism that permeates this board. I tend to be conservative and resist ANY trending mindsets.

First of all, as we will see when we do out yearly predictions, they will fall within a range of 9-7 to 13-3. Nobody, I repeat NOBODY, is going to predict a losing season for this club; and I'm sure everyone has us penciled in for the playoffs.

Next, he may end up being overpaid or perhaps prematurely paid, but surely no Packer fan is unhappy with Aaron Rodgers. He might be the best QB to ever play the game, very likely the best QB in the game right now, and at the very least one of the top QBs in the league. Bottom line, his presence alone gives us a shot to go all the way.

Even with the loss of Jennings, our offense is likely to get even better. Rodgers is in his prime, Cobb has become a major weapon, Finley ramped it up in the latter part of 2012, and Harris has been a steal. If we can just pick up another pounder like Benson, our offense will be well-rounded.

The offensive line was riddled with injuries in 2012. As a result, we now have more linemen with game experience. This unit should be more effective this year and certainly the ridiculous number of 51 sacks given up should go down.

Our defense is significantly improved over 2011 and we can expect better production from a lot of new faces in 2013. Watch for the players drafted in 2012 to emerge. Even Mike Neal showed some signs of life last year. Jolly could be the joker in the deck.

We hear a lot about all the draft picks the Niners have, but not only do the Packers have better than their full compliment of draft picks, but they could be getting Bulaga, Sherrod and Perry back next year. That in essence gives us FOUR #1 draft picks. (I have my doubts about Sherrod, however.)

There is no reason to assume that TT will not continue to draft effectively, as he has done so his entire career. That suggests we will get some much needed help in the draft.

McCarthy did some growing in 2012. He learned against the Bears that he can get too cute with his gadgets and gambles, and we can expect steadier game calling from him in 2013. He tends to coach better as an underdog than a front runner, and I think the team will respond to having the Niners move ahead of them.

Capers, while not under any pressure from his superiors, must realize his unit once again let us down in the playoffs. if he has any pride and any concerns for his job security, we can expect a better coaching job from him. Finally, he has more youth and speed to work with, and perhaps his vaunted schemes will finally work.

There you go. I'm not sending out invitations to an August Super Bowl party like the Vikings' fans always have, but I do think the Packers prospects for 2013 are not as gloomy as many on this board suggest. Very Happy

We have to be resolved to the fact that this is a rebuilding year. You look at the schedule and on paper we are only better than a handful of opponents. At first glance this could be an 8-8 season at best. We have a QB, a pair of LBs, 3 receivers, and a sometimes TE. Outside of that we are mediocre. What we can hope for is another solid draft and some rookies who will definitely get their feet wet. Our defense will get two weeks of pistol to open the season. Yecch.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Reasons for optimism Empty Re: Reasons for optimism

Post by duck Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:37 pm

milani wrote:
duck wrote:Okay, I admit it. I'm doing this, not because I really buy into it, but to offset the wave of pessimism that permeates this board. I tend to be conservative and resist ANY trending mindsets.

We have to be resolved to the fact that this is a rebuilding year. You look at the schedule and on paper we are only better than a handful of opponents. At first glance this could be an 8-8 season at best. We have a QB, a pair of LBs, 3 receivers, and a sometimes TE. Outside of that we are mediocre. What we can hope for is another solid draft and some rookies who will definitely get their feet wet. Our defense will get two weeks of pistol to open the season. Yecch.

8-8? Seriously, Milani?? I've got at least a C note that says Green Bay has a winning season.

And "we are only better than a handful of opponents"?? You've taken your pessimism to a new level. Heck, Aaron Fucking Rodgers alone puts us ahead of 50% of the other teams. I've got news for you. The Packers aren't the only NFL team with holes. Thanks to the salary cap all teams have them. And by the end of the season when injuries take their toll, each and every team will have multiple positions filled by mediocre players. Don't forget, one of the keys to the Packers winning the 2010 Super Bowl was having excellent depth.

Again, don't get me wrong. I am not predicting a Super Bowl victory or anything, but the Packers are clearly a solid playoff team with a legitimate shot at a deep playoff run. Assuming Rodgers stays healthy of course.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:43 pm

milani wrote: We have to be resolved to the fact that this is a rebuilding year. You look at the schedule and on paper we are only better than a handful of opponents.

This is the other reason why I come here. I like to see how strong my brain cells are by submitting them to this kind of utter stupidity and see if they can withstand the torture.

Hey, it's a good weeknight alternative to drinking, anyway.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:50 am

I think you will see after the draft that our starting teams will be quite revamped. We will have a lot of talent on the field but it will be young, raw, untested talent. They will make mistakes. And they will get better in the next few seasons. We really only have 2 patsies to face this season in the Eagles and Browns. But with new faces even they will not be a pushover.

The Falcons, Niners, Ravens, Bengals, Redskins, Vikings twice are 7 playoff opponents. Throw in the Giants, Steelers, and Cowboys, all of which have a top notch QB and who should have been in the playoffs. The Bears and Lions aren't likely to continue to escape prosperity with the talent on their rosters. It makes for a very difficult season. We went 11-5 with the somewhat softer schedule we had last season. It would be nice to have Arizona, Jacksonville, Tennessee, and the Rams as opponents again. But it is not the case.

Just because you have a HOF QB on your roster does not mean you go to the playoffs automatically if you don't have enough around him. All you have to do is look at 2008 and 2005. The key elements such as an offensive line, a running game, pass protection, pass rush, run stopping, and special teams have to be a bit more than sub par to succeed. And right now I don't see anything that stands out in those areas except the long haired boy from USC.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:26 pm

MB20 wrote:
milani wrote: We have to be resolved to the fact that this is a rebuilding year. You look at the schedule and on paper we are only better than a handful of opponents.

This is the other reason why I come here. I like to see how strong my brain cells are by submitting them to this kind of utter stupidity and see if they can withstand the torture. LOL!

Hey, it's a good weeknight alternative to drinking, anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by PackFanKnowItAll Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Right ON, duck! YEAH!! This team is SO good, and your writing is just SO top notch, how can things NOT fall into perfect place for us Packer fans this upcoming season? You are a GENIUS! Probably went to some Ivy league school or something. Successfull, rich, good looking, funny (of course) - just like the rest of us Packer fans! I swear, being a Packer fan is the BEST! YEAH!! High five! No down season or seasons for us, the GREATEST fans in the HISTORY of the UNIVERSE! Salary cap? Meh. We don't need no stinking salary cap! Ted Thomason and Mike Mcarthly are the BEST duo in the NFL, probably in NFL HISTORY!!! High five, duck! We root for the best team EVER and that makes us AWESOMEAMUNDO!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PackFanKnowItAll
PackFanKnowItAll

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:41 am

PackFanKnowItAll wrote:

Right ON, duck! YEAH!! This team is SO good, and your writing is just SO top notch, how can things NOT fall into perfect place for us Packer fans this upcoming season? You are a GENIUS! Probably went to some Ivy league school or something. Successfull, rich, good looking, funny (of course) - just like the rest of us Packer fans! I swear, being a Packer fan is the BEST! YEAH!! High five! No down season or seasons for us, the GREATEST fans in the HISTORY of the UNIVERSE! Salary cap? Meh. We don't need no stinking salary cap! Ted Thomason and Mike Mcarthly are the BEST duo in the NFL, probably in NFL HISTORY!!! High five, duck! We root for the best team EVER and that makes us AWESOMEAMUNDO!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How nice to hear from you again, PFKIA. We're always refreshed and challenged by your timely and insightful comments. You should spend less time blowing sailors in alleys and more time online sharing your immense football knowledge with us. We could learn from the perspectives of a genuine football player (offensive lineman, wasn't it?)
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down