Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Causes For Optimism

Go down

2 Causes For Optimism Empty 2 Causes For Optimism

Post by RLON39 Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:05 am

The starting OL, from OC to RT, will be Pouncey, DeCastro and Adams. If these three can stay healthy and develop chemistry, this team will be very effective running to the right, no matter who the feature back is. There are question marks on the left side, where Colon was overrated, remaining both penalty and injury prone. If you ask me, Gilbert should get a shot at LG, and Starks should be brought back to LT, as you still don't have anyone that will play the position better than him. Gilbert, Legs and Beachum round out some improved young depth, and Foster may very well be back, you never know, but I wouldn't try so hard to get him back unless Colon is gone.

The Secondary - Troy looked more like himself at the end of the year, and if they somehow keep Lewis and draft a young safety, the secondary, which played extremely well in 2012, is stacked. You get your pass rush healthy and upgraded, this makes the defense elite in and of itself. Cortez showed he can do what no other corners on the roster can.

These two units can go from what was a weakness a few weeks back, to clear strengths of the team and a reason why the Steelers can once again be an elite team. The question then becomes one of if they can get the other units playing as well as they did. That means the DL, LBs, WRs, RBs, and STmers. The draft will help some, particularly in terms of depth at S, LB, and DL, but the Steelers have some core players, past their prime, that need to take cuts to stay, followed by final, healthy seasons (James, Troy, Casey, for example). To me, safety and outside linebacker become the biggest draft need, followed by ILB and DL. WR and RB will be considered, but only if the right player falls.

A couple players that must be called out, possibly let go:

LaMarr Woodley - This guy has been a giant piece of crap since recording 9 sacks in 8 games of the 2011 season, and he should be sent home if he continues to come to camp out of shape. Cut him and his huge overblown salary because James Harrison, to me, looked like the much more effective player, and you can't afford to lose both yet. Worilds played decently, but to me Robinson is he next James Harrison.

Ziggy Hood - He simply doesn't fit the scheme and should be used exclusively inside when they go to four man lines in nickel and dime situations. What's more depressing, Heyward must be a bust if he can't supplant this guy. Within the first five rounds, the Steelers will again draft a 3-4 DE, but my answer is already on the roster in Mclendon, which means they still must find the answer to replacing Hampton, who may be brought back for one more year, on the cheap.

I see Wallace and Mendenhall as gone. I think Polamalu and Harrison should be redone, take a cut. I see no reason not to bring back Burress, as a redzone threat and on a minimal one year deal. I don't know how the FO could ever assume that Gilbert can take over for Starks, and there are no true LTs on this team, so Max should be kept here. This guy gets no respect, but he's been the second best lineman on the team for the past few years. Cb Lewis will be the biggest decision, and it could go either way, because Ike's not going anywhere, and Allen is the only DB to show a nose for the ball. Problem is, if you promote Allen, who is the third corner because it
's not going to be Curtis Brown.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down