Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are the Patriots' biggest "rivals"?

2 posters

Go down

Who are the Patriots' biggest "rivals"? Empty Who are the Patriots' biggest "rivals"?

Post by guppy Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm thinking about "rivals" for my Boston teams, and clearly historically the Red Sox have the Yankees; the Celtics have the Lakers, and the Bruins have the Canadiens.
But who are considered the Pats' biggest rivals, or do they even have one? I think because of the nature of football, it has to come from the AFC. The contenders are the Jets, Colts, Steelers, Ravens, Dolphins. Maybe put the Raiders in there? Which one?
Steelers and Ravens have each other, so I'm going to eliminate them. The Raiders? Nah. Dolfins? Nope. The Colts maybe got the nod when Manning was there.

Bottom line, I think it comes down to the Jets, who, along with the Pats, started the AFL in 1960. Curtis Martin going to the Jets is almost the equivalent of Babe Ruth going to the Yankees. Almost. lol

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Who are the Patriots' biggest "rivals"? Empty Re: Who are the Patriots' biggest "rivals"?

Post by LRJets Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Bottom line, I think it comes down to the Jets, who, along with the Pats, started the AFL in 1960. Curtis Martin going to the Jets is almost the equivalent of Babe Ruth going to the Yankees. Almost. lol

This includes Parcells going to the Jets, Spygate, and other incidents fueling the rivalry as well as the proximity to each other.
Jets-Pats have been a major rivalry with their total record with each other is a surprising
54-51-1. This includes the "Brady years" which makes it a surprise. When NE was knocked out of the playoffs with Sanchez as the QB was very enjoyable. For Jets fans.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Who are the Patriots' biggest "rivals"? Empty Re: Who are the Patriots' biggest "rivals"?

Post by guppy Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:22 am

LRJets wrote:Bottom line, I think it comes down to the Jets, who, along with the Pats, started the AFL in 1960. Curtis Martin going to the Jets is almost the equivalent of Babe Ruth going to the Yankees. Almost. lol

This includes Parcells going to the Jets, Spygate, and other incidents fueling the rivalry as well as the proximity to each other.
Jets-Pats have been a major rivalry with their total record with each other is a surprising
54-51-1. This includes the "Brady years" which makes it a surprise. When NE was knocked out of the playoffs with Sanchez as the QB was very enjoyable. For Jets fans.

All good points. Belichick resigning as HC of the NYJ, Mangini, etc.

Nice pic by the way.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:24 am

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:22 pm

At the end of the day, getting Brady without much fanfare, and him producing a run basically only duplicated by a few other teams must be great.
His greatness is proven by the personnel changes around him over the years,and his presence being the constant just validates same.
Having said that...Laughing

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:52 am

[quote="LRJets"]At the end of the day, getting Brady without much fanfare, and him producing a run basically only duplicated by a few other teams must be great.
His greatness is proven by the personnel changes around him over the years,and his presence being the constant just validates same.

Your thoughts are right on. Brady is the only constant left, from "then" to "now", and he's the elder stateman. You are a true sports fan. Despite what George thinks I think, Brady is obviously far from perfect, but only fans who are basically clueless glom on to the tired and meaningless phrase, "he's a system QB". That's like saying Joe DiMaggio was a "system hitter". He was a "system hitter" alright.... he systematically got hits. Brady a system QB? Sure. He systematically wins a hell of a lot of games.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:07 am

Gup:

Your thoughts are right on. Brady is the only constant left, from "then" to "now", and he's the elder stateman. You are a true sports fan. Despite what George thinks I think, Brady is obviously far from perfect, but only fans who are basically clueless glom on to the tired and meaningless phrase, "he's a system QB". That's like saying Joe DiMaggio was a "system hitter". He was a "system hitter" alright.... he systematically got hits. Brady a system QB? Sure. He systematically wins a hell of a lot of games.
I've been reading George's posts for years on the Jets, Colts and Pats boards.
Even in the heat of the Brady vs. Manning posts, I don't think George truly knocked Brady's skills.
Don't forget, with Rags et al., Colts fans caught a lot of "one-and-done" guff re: Peyton. I think George had it in more for BB, Kraft, and the "Patriot Way", and how Kraft gets his "way", than Brady's pure skill set and accomplishments.
I don't even know what a system quarterback is??? Wasn't Aikman one of them? Montana?
Any proven winning qb falls into a system.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:55 am

I don't even know what a system quarterback is??? Wasn't Aikman one of them? Montana?
Any proven winning qb falls into a system.[/quote]

Most great QBs you can think of have benefited from working with good coaches. Do people try to diminish Montana's accomplishments because he had the good fortune to play for Bill Walsh, one of the most brillant football minds in history? I read somewhere that Montana was asked, "Does it bother you that some people call you a 'system quarterback'?" Montana replied, "No, because I've got four of those system rings."

Bart Starr got to play for Vince Lombardi. Dan Marino got to play for Don Shula. Roger Staubach got to play for Tom Landry. Aikman for Jimmy Johnson. Great quarterbacks succeeding under great coaches is nothing new. My question (which has nothing to do with you, but I just ask in general), Why does Tom Brady get more of the "system quarterback" B.S. thrown his way than anyone else? From my vantage I don't care, because when they try to knock Brady, it equates to indirect praise for Belichick; and conversely, when the other half of the haters try to knock Belichick, it equates to indirect praise for Brady. They can't make up their minds. lol

Brady will never be a running threat like the new breed of young QBs, and that fact only means he has to be all that more precise in passing and decision making. The margin for error is smaller because he can't turn a negative into a positive or avoid losing yardage by tucking the ball in and running. On a broken play all he can do is throw the ball away. If he doesn't, its a sack. I was thinking about this. I really like watching all these new running athletic quarterbacks play. So then I ask the question, if I had to start a team right now and build around any young qb currently playing, which one would I choose? Right now I think my choice would be Andrew Luck. I just like his total package of what he brings to the position, including his high QB I.Q. He's not as fast in a flat out sprint as some of the others, but he's fast enough to make save a play from turning into a disaster. I look for him to get even better with maturity.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:29 pm

I've seen Brady play dozens of times. The biggest compliment I can give him is to compare him to an NBA player at the free throw line. Each time Brady got the ball (especially against the Jets), I feared a TD pass.
It was like when Sandy Koufax pitched, I never doubted a "W", I and others half-expected a no-hitter.
System? Sure he is in a system. The eternal question: Did BB make Brady, or did Brady make BB?
As good a coach as BB is-- could a Mark Sanchez or a Fitzpatrick or a Ponder etc. etc. prevail in his system?
No.
If you put Peyton and Brady on equal planes, there still is a difference. I think Peyton has a faster release. He had to. Even in Denver. He stands closer to the LOS than Brady does...it drives me crazy that it always seems when Brady drops back, no matter the opponent, he could take a shave with the time he seems to have. Grrrr.

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:29 pm

LRJets wrote:I've seen Brady play dozens of times. The biggest compliment I can give him is to compare him to an NBA player at the free throw line. Each time Brady got the ball (especially against the Jets), I feared a TD pass.
It was like when Sandy Koufax pitched, I never doubted a "W", I and others half-expected a no-hitter.
System? Sure he is in a system. The eternal question: Did BB make Brady, or did Brady make BB?
As good a coach as BB is-- could a Mark Sanchez or a Fitzpatrick or a Ponder etc. etc. prevail in his system?
No.
If you put Peyton and Brady on equal planes, there still is a difference. I think Peyton has a faster release. He had to. Even in Denver. He stands closer to the LOS than Brady does...it drives me crazy that it always seems when Brady drops back, no matter the opponent, he could take a shave with the time he seems to have. Grrrr.

Better one:

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down