Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Player!

4 posters

Go down

The Player! Empty The Player!

Post by RLON39 Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:47 am

Last year, I posted about the player I most wanted. There was an outside chance he could fall, but it was a very low probability. Some how, he fell and we took him, then his knee exploded. So, I don't know what kind of omen that is...lol. But, clearly, the one player that will make the biggest difference on this team, considering both our positional needs and need for leadership....Manti Te'o, LBer out of Notre Dame. You put this guy next to Timmons, you have two guys that give you an inside blitz/ inside pass rush game like you never had before, while simultaneously having two guys that can cover and take the ball away with their hands. You would have a stouter guy next to Timmons, which is what is needed, and you have a clear cut QB for years in this defense. Draft positions wherein players tend to fall lower than expectations and prognostications: Tight End, Offensive Guard, Safety.....and Inside Linebacker. Let's hope we are as lucky this year as we were last...because this pick would also make us scheme diverse at linebacker, 4-3 with OLB Spence, MLB Teo, and OLB Timmons. It would be nice to have a new wrinkle. This guy would be the ultimate Steeler...he makes everyone around him better.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

The Player! Empty Re: The Player!

Post by leejr Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:32 am

Last year, I posted about the player I most wanted. There was an outside chance he could fall, but it was a very low probability. Some how, he fell and we took him, then his knee exploded. So, I don't know what kind of omen that is...lol. But, clearly, the one player that will make the biggest difference on this team, considering both our positional needs and need for leadership....Manti Te'o, LBer out of Notre Dame. You put this guy next to Timmons, you have two guys that give you an inside blitz/ inside pass rush game like you never had before, while simultaneously having two guys that can cover and take the ball away with their hands. You would have a stouter guy next to Timmons, which is what is needed, and you have a clear cut QB for years in this defense. Draft positions wherein players tend to fall lower than expectations and prognostications: Tight End, Offensive Guard, Safety.....and Inside Linebacker. Let's hope we are as lucky this year as we were last...because this pick would also make us scheme diverse at linebacker, 4-3 with OLB Spence, MLB Teo, and OLB Timmons. It would be nice to have a new wrinkle. This guy would be the ultimate Steeler...he makes everyone around him better.

With the right personnel, I'd love a change in scheme. But, my gut feeling tells me as long as Dick is the DC,they will stick with the 34
leejr
leejr
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:10 pm

Oh, I'm not for dropping the 3-4, I'm for being able to give 4-3 looks from time to time.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:21 am

Teo was absolutely shut down by Alabama's athletic OL. This scares me a little on him.

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:02 pm

captnbrojangles wrote:Teo was absolutely shut down by Alabama's athletic OL. This scares me a little on him.
^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, well I think that team was just overmatched by a more experienced, battle tested Bama team....they all looked overwhelmed, but now it is more possible that he will be available at 1-17 to us. There is currently no young player who looks like he can be a leader of this defense for years to come, and that, as much as anything, is why I want Manti.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:40 pm

RLON39 wrote:
captnbrojangles wrote:Teo was absolutely shut down by Alabama's athletic OL. This scares me a little on him.
^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, well I think that team was just overmatched by a more experienced, battle tested Bama team....they all looked overwhelmed, but now it is more possible that he will be available at 1-17 to us. There is currently no young player who looks like he can be a leader of this defense for years to come, and that, as much as anything, is why I want Manti.

I hope you're right. He was a beast all year long except for that last game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Toddseahawks Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:01 pm

captain bojangles wrote:
RLON39 wrote:
captain bojangles wrote:Two was absolutely shut down by Alabama's athletic OL. This scares me a little on him.
^^^^^^^^^^

I hope you're right. He was a beast all year long except for that last game.

Right this down.....pick up Tebow. He was misused all the way and would be a steal.
Toddseahawks
Toddseahawks
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppy Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:46 am

Seems to me that Tebow does exactly what Russell Wilson, RGIII, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick etc, do. Now one could make the case for him not being as explosive a runner or not a very accurate passer but it does seem that the NFL is really starting to go the way of the very mobile QB.
Would I be happy with him as Ben's primary backup????? Not so sure. If they were to draft a young QB I certainly hope he is a fairly mobile and accurate one. Of course the other key ingredient is that he hopefully has superior decision making skills....I am sure that if a guy has all three he will likely go very high in the draft....Geno Smith for instance.
C. J.

Last edited by Poppy on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot Kaepernick)
Poppy
Poppy

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:01 am

Seems to me that Tebow does exactly what Russell Wilson, RGIII, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick etc, do.^^^^^^^^

Not really. Not even close.

Now one could make the case for him not being as explosive a runner or not a very accurate passer ^^^^^^^

Wha wha what?

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:31 am

On Te'o no thanks! Not with these new allegations he made up the entire girlfriend dying story! Character issues!

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Let's see how it plays out...either he made it up or he is very naive. The latter could make a good Steeler, with some experience and maturity within this class organization.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppy Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:46 am

RLON39 wrote:Seems to me that Tebow does exactly what Russell Wilson, RGIII, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick etc, do.^^^^^^^^

Not really. Not even close.

Please enumerate, even I can just make one line remarks, this is a discussion board. Tebow is in essence a running quarterback, no? The difference, in my opinion, is that he is a fullback, tightend type of QB. The others are more like running backs, wide receivers. Tebow doesn't have the acceleration or top end speed. This difference in athlete body mold may be the reason that he is not as successful as the others in terms of running the ball. But they all are pretty good athletes.

Now one could make the case for him not being as explosive a runner or not a very accurate passer ^^^^^^^

Wha wha what?

Again some explanation would help. I think I covered the explosive part above. Wilson and RGIII, to pick two, both posted higher rookie QB ratings than Ben. Both surpassed a 100 rating. I know that this is overall rating but a part of that is percent completion. Generally, you don't get a high rating with a mediocre completion rating. Unless, of course, all you do is throw touchdown passes and no interceptions. Tebow on the other hand could not even beat out that completion percentage master Sanchez:face: for the Jets starting QB job. And before you mention how well he tore the Steelers up in the playoff game at Denver last year keep in mind how our Steelers have seemingly forever made inferior QBs look like All-Pros.

So, based upon this I really don't think that I want Tebow as a Steeler backup QB. I am sure some people will point to Tebow's body type being more like Ben's as well as his scramability but I don't believe that Tebow has pocket awareness even close to what Ben does, he just takes off running and does not always (as Ben does) look to make a play. Furthermore, I don't think he has close to the accuracy that Ben does.

I would like to see the Steelers take a young QB in the draft in the mid to later rounds to fill Leftwich's backup spot. I would also bring back Mister Charlie for one more year.

C. J.
Poppy
Poppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppy Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:56 am

RLON39 wrote:Let's see how it plays out...either he made it up or he is very naive. The latter could make a good Steeler, with some experience and maturity within this class organization.

I don't disagree that we should see how it plays out but in my mind BIG RED FLAGS just went up. The naivety issue to me is a very big and real one and I don't see how that could help make a good Steeler. If by that you mean humility, then perhaps.

What I wonder about this situation goes a little deeper....is this some indication that Te'O is in some way an attention seeker??? If this is a serious problem then I am really concerned. I guess it goes back to humility. We don't want or need a player with attention problems that in an extreme case can end up with a Chad Ocho or Terrell Owens. Again, not in disagreement, but I would really urge the Steelers to especially do their due diligence on this one.

C. J.
Poppy
Poppy

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:44 am

I don't disagree that we should see how it plays out but in my mind BIG RED FLAGS just went up.^^^^^^^^^^^^

Without those red flags, he is drafted number 8. With them, he can last to 18. The trick for the Steelers is to hire a good psychologist to do a detailed evaluation. I'd volunteer, but I'm not objective enough to work for them...lol.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:45 am

The Jets have ruined Tebow. The had him put on all that muscle mass, which further hampered bad mechanics. I'm not a Tebow fan, but what the Jets did, wasting a year of his career in a game wherein careers are short, is downright criminal. Worst organization ever!

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down