Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody doubt now that Schwartz needs to go?

2 posters

Go down

Anybody doubt now that Schwartz needs to go? Empty Anybody doubt now that Schwartz needs to go?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:41 am

OK, after today's latest debacle, this post is not knee jerk. It's based on fact. Jim Schwartz is 23-37 up to this point. They are 9-14 since last year's 5-0 start. His teams are typically in the top five in most penalties the NFL. He has one total division road win in four seasons (last year in Minnesota). His teams are 0-4 on Thanksgiving. If not for last years miraculous finishes vs. Dallas, Minnesota (twice), Oakland and Carolina, we're looking at four straight losing seasons. If he were coaching anywhere but Detroit, his fate would be sealed and he'd be fired. But Mayhew, hired by Millen and now looking very Millen like in his personnel moves is just as incompetent and is incapable of righting the ship. After all, it was Mayhew who drafted Titus and Broyles (coming of an ACL injury no less) with high picks when the team desparately needed defensive playmakers. It was Mayhew who moved up in the draft to take Javid Best even though the player had a concussion warning label on him from college. Now Best's career has been sidelined by what? You guessed it. Concussions!! It was Mayhew who drafted Titus, a childish prima donna with obvious character flaws that were not flagged before the draft. It was Mayhew who in the last three drafts now only has one player (Suh) from the first two rounds of the draft that are full time starters. Where do you start here? Since the Fords are not going to fire Mayhew, the coach has to go. But given Mayhew's incompetence, do we trust him to make the right decision on the next coach?

Back to top Go down

Anybody doubt now that Schwartz needs to go? Empty Re: Anybody doubt now that Schwartz needs to go?

Post by SharBar57 Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 am

You know, RWalker...apparently there aren't enough fans on this forum to even hold a decent discussion on the Lions anymore...or...they are so disinterested in this bunch of under achievers that don't just care to discuss them. That's kinda the way I feel about them. I enjoy pro football, and I watched the game last night between the Redskins and Giants. I enjoyed that game very much. Not many pts scored, but they went after each other and I must say, that RG3 is a fun guy to watch! I think that is how I am going to proceed from this point forward. To heck with the Lions and just watch the games that are going to mean something in the NFL scheme of things.

Sharon

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

Anybody doubt now that Schwartz needs to go? Empty Re: Anybody doubt now that Schwartz needs to go?

Post by meiden Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:47 am

WallyRob1249 wrote:OK, after today's latest debacle, this post is not knee jerk. It's based on fact. Jim Schwartz is 23-37 up to this point. They are 9-14 since last year's 5-0 start. His teams are typically in the top five in most penalties the NFL. He has one total division road win in four seasons (last year in Minnesota). His teams are 0-4 on Thanksgiving. If not for last years miraculous finishes vs. Dallas, Minnesota (twice), Oakland and Carolina, we're looking at four straight losing seasons. If he were coaching anywhere but Detroit, his fate would be sealed and he'd be fired. But Mayhew, hired by Millen and now looking very Millen like in his personnel moves is just as incompetent and is incapable of righting the ship. After all, it was Mayhew who drafted Titus and Broyles (coming of an ACL injury no less) with high picks when the team desparately needed defensive playmakers. It was Mayhew who moved up in the draft to take Javid Best even though the player had a concussion warning label on him from college. Now Best's career has been sidelined by what? You guessed it. Concussions!! It was Mayhew who drafted Titus, a childish prima donna with obvious character flaws that were not flagged before the draft. It was Mayhew who in the last three drafts now only has one player (Suh) from the first two rounds of the draft that are full time starters. Where do you start here? Since the Fords are not going to fire Mayhew, the coach has to go. But given Mayhew's incompetence, do we trust him to make the right decision on the next coach?

I had given Mayhew a solid B before the season and I was the pessimist. Man...I was far too kind and Walker, you have done a good job of really laying it out. I will go one up on you and talk a little about trades and FAs. I thought trades were Mayhew's strong suit but I'm not so sure any longer. I still feel that he has gotten more value out of what he brought in then what he gave up but the delta is not nearly as big as the credit I gave him before this year.

Corey Williams...solid but an offsides waiting to happen and regressing each year. Sims...he may be the best interior OL on the team but that bar is really, really low and Sims isn't very far over that bar. His last two games have been horrible. The trade up to get Best? Ouch. I thought the Roy WIlliams trade was brilliant until I saw his draft. Some of his better trades were for Scheffler (better than Pettigrew but won't give him the time), Jackson (solid backup), and his best deal, Houston.

Free agency has been horrendous. I am still looking for a real impact player he has brought in via free agency. The best I can come up with is Tulloch who is a very average MLB. Man...the rest are virtually invisible.

Trades are Still the best part of his personnel strategy but with the exception of Houston and maybe Scheffler I'm not sure the impact is what it needs to be to make up for poor draft and FA work.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by SharBar57 Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:16 am

Three fans do not make a good discussion...most of the others have left this forum because of some political discussion on a DIFFERENT thread that they could choose whether or not to read or participate in.

I don't think there will ever be a "solution" to the problems the Lions are facing now and have faced in the past. Last year was a fluke and once again we are seeing the real Lions. The only way for them to improve is for Mayhew to change his drafting philosophy by drafting for need instead of BPA and I don't see him doing that.

As for a true back and forth discussion, it left when the AOL boards were shut down. I used to look forward to reading all the posts every morning but this forum is dead as is the forum on Facebook. I guess when you are a Lions' fan there really is nothing to discuss. Maybe everyone is looking forward to the draft in March!

Sharon

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:45 am

You know, RWalker...apparently there aren't enough fans on this forum to even hold a decent discussion on the Lions anymore...or...they are so disinterested in this bunch of under achievers that don't just care to discuss them. That's kinda the way I feel about them. I enjoy pro football, and I watched the game last night between the Redskins and Giants. I enjoyed that game very much. Not many pts scored, but they went after each other and I must say, that RG3 is a fun guy to watch! I think that is how I am going to proceed from this point forward. To heck with the Lions and just watch the games that are going to mean something in the NFL scheme of things.

Sharon, I hate to admit this, but my brothers and I have been forced to do this since 1972 when we painfully realized that the Lions 10-4 season of 1970 was a fakeout (after 1970 they didn't make another playoff appearance until the strike- shortened 1982 season - and even then they had a losing record) and the Steelers became our fallback team and have been since. This is really sad when we loyal Lion fans just for the sake of enjoyment of the sport, are forced by our team's incompetence to enjoy the success of other teams come 4:00pm on Thanksgiving Day. How I envy Steeler and Packer fans.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:06 am

I had given Mayhew a solid B before the season and I was the pessimist. Man...I was far too kind and Walker, you have done a good job of really laying it out. I will go one up on you and talk a little about trades and FAs. I thought trades were Mayhew's strong suit but I'm not so sure any longer. I still feel that he has gotten more value out of what he brought in then what he gave up but the delta is not nearly as big as the credit I gave him before this year.

Corey Williams...solid but an offsides waiting to happen and regressing each year. Sims...he may be the best interior OL on the team but that bar is really, really low and Sims isn't very far over that bar. His last two games have been horrible. The trade up to get Best? Ouch. I thought the Roy WIlliams trade was brilliant until I saw his draft. Some of his better trades were for Scheffler (better than Pettigrew but won't give him the time), Jackson (solid backup), and his best deal, Houston.

Free agency has been horrendous. I am still looking for a real impact player he has brought in via free agency. The best I can come up with is Tulloch who is a very average MLB. Man...the rest are virtually invisible.

Trades are Still the best part of his personnel strategy but with the exception of Houston and maybe Scheffler I'm not sure the impact is what it needs to be to make up for poor draft and FA work

You really laid it out there yourself. Good points all. What is most painful to watch is the group think of the Lions brass and how they try to sell us on a player that is as useful as a bald tire on a cross country trip. I remember this past summer for example when they let Eric Wright (a decent CB with good size and speed) walk and brought in Jacob Lacy as a possible replacement. I looked Lacy up and found the guy was a backup on the Colts league worst team last year. No surprise, Lacy plays up to his pedigree for our Lions. Yet, Matt Mayhew (his name from now on) tried to sell this kid as being a potential starter and a productive professional during his years at Indy. Couple poor trades and FA signings with extremely poor drafting and we have now the MM Horror Show part II, only this time MM doesn't stand for Matt Millen. It stands for Martin Mayhew. That's why I refer to him as Matt Mayhew because of the disturbing similarities we are starting to see.

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:17 pm

WallyRob1249 wrote:I had given Mayhew a solid B before the season and I was the pessimist. Man...I was far too kind and Walker, you have done a good job of really laying it out. I will go one up on you and talk a little about trades and FAs. I thought trades were Mayhew's strong suit but I'm not so sure any longer. I still feel that he has gotten more value out of what he brought in then what he gave up but the delta is not nearly as big as the credit I gave him before this year.

Trades are Still the best part of his personnel strategy but with the exception of Houston and maybe Scheffler I'm not sure the impact is what it needs to be to make up for poor draft and FA work

You really laid it out there yourself. Good points all. What is most painful to watch is the group think of the Lions brass and how they try to sell us on a player that is as useful as a bald tire on a cross country trip. I remember this past summer for example when they let Eric Wright (a decent CB with good size and speed) walk and brought in Jacob Lacy as a possible replacement. I looked Lacy up and found the guy was a backup on the Colts league worst team last year. No surprise, Lacy plays up to his pedigree for our Lions. Yet, Matt Mayhew (his name from now on) tried to sell this kid as being a potential starter and a productive professional during his years at Indy. Couple poor trades and FA signings with extremely poor drafting and we have now the MM Horror Show part II, only this time MM doesn't stand for Matt Millen. It stands for Martin Mayhew. That's why I refer to him as Matt Mayhew because of the disturbing similarities we are starting to see.

I feel you!!!! It's painful to watch.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by SharBar57 Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:53 am

RWalker...here is another article from a sports writer that has another look at the Titus debacle and maybe how Schwartz has "lost" this team or at least hasn't been able to control it. Discipline is the key...both on and off the field!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sharon

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:37 pm

[quote="SharBar57"]RWalker...here is another article from a sports writer that has another look at the Titus debacle and maybe how Schwartz has "lost" this team or at least hasn't been able to control it. Discipline is the key...both on and off the field!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sharon, this just reinforces my thoughts on this subject. I think Jim Schwartz should be fired. He has a losing record in four seasons, his team is headed for last place and the only identity his teams have established is lack of discipline and inexplicable breakdowns (special teams, defense, red zone offense) in critical moments of games. The only saving grace for Schwartz is his GM, Matt Mayhew, has been just as incompetent. Drafting Titus is his fault and yet another bone-headed move.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down