Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back To Back Road Games

3 posters

Go down

Back To Back Road Games Empty Back To Back Road Games

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:24 am

I just checked on the AFC teams about their B to B road games only KC and Denver had three each, everybody else had two only except Houston, They had a three-peat besides one B to B. They will play Lions, Titans and Pats all on the road late Nov, early Dec. Strange about KC, their sole win was in their B to B @ Nola. Three teams with 2 B to B had a bye week in between one of their B to Bs. I will post a comment to this post after checking the NFC. I think the schedule maker broke it off in the Lions this year, still it is no excuse, especially since they lost a home game to the Vikes.

Back to top Go down

Back To Back Road Games Empty Re: Back To Back Road Games

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:59 pm

There is no other team with four sets of B to B road games. I can't remember ever seeing it happen before. That is the maximum. With only 8 road games it is impossible to assign a team more than four. The only way it could be worse, if they scheduled all of a teams road games in a row. Here's what I found on the NFC schedule, Detroit 4 B to B, Packers 1 B to back and a 3-peat, cryboys, SF and Sea all have 3 B to B. Guess what, Atl has none, as in zero B to B. I think Schwartz is being punished for his peau de deux with Jim Harbaugh. Anyway, unless they get some help at Safety they are no better than 8-8, if that. Coleman is abysmal in coverage.

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:32 am

RLMcB wrote:There is no other team with four sets of B to B road games. I can't remember ever seeing it happen before. That is the maximum. With only 8 road games it is impossible to assign a team more than four. The only way it could be worse, if they scheduled all of a teams road games in a row. Here's what I found on the NFC schedule, Detroit 4 B to B, Packers 1 B to back and a 3-peat, cryboys, SF and Sea all have 3 B to B. Guess what, Atl has none, as in zero B to B. I think Schwartz is being punished for his peau de deux with Jim Harbaugh. Anyway, unless they get some help at Safety they are no better than 8-8, if that. Coleman is abysmal in coverage.

RL...I should be clear in saying that I agree the schedule makers didn't do the Lions any favors. Still...I get on Mayhew and Schwartz for building a team that lost to TN as one of those games and in another allowed the #21 offense (MN) to run roughshod over them in another. It's one thing to struggle in those B to B road games...it's another to lose all of them and the defense just get pounded in two of them.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawildboar Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:22 am

meiden wrote:
RLMcB wrote:There is no other team with four sets of B to B road games. I can't remember ever seeing it happen before. That is the maximum. With only 8 road games it is impossible to assign a team more than four. The only way it could be worse, if they scheduled all of a teams road games in a row. Here's what I found on the NFC schedule, Detroit 4 B to B, Packers 1 B to back and a 3-peat, cryboys, SF and Sea all have 3 B to B. Guess what, Atl has none, as in zero B to B. I think Schwartz is being punished for his peau de deux with Jim Harbaugh. Anyway, unless they get some help at Safety they are no better than 8-8, if that. Coleman is abysmal in coverage.

RL...I should be clear in saying that I agree the schedule makers didn't do the Lions any favors. Still...I get on Mayhew and Schwartz for building a team that lost to TN as one of those games and in another allowed the #21 offense (MN) to run roughshod over them in another. It's one thing to struggle in those B to B road games...it's another to lose all of them and the defense just get pounded in two of them.

Couldn't agree more Mi...NFL didn't do the Lions any favors but the Lions have nobody to blame for their loses, except themselves. Whether is was ridiculous special teams play, lethargic play of the whole team or boring, predictable play calling that Lions fans and I'm sure Lions' opponents have come to expect.

I'm beginning to wonder it the players are getting tired of the same crap called on a different day and that is the cause of their uninspired play. The Lions players can do it, they've shown it, they've failed at more crucial points than not, which causes me to believe I will leave Ford Field on Sunday in dire need of a few stiff belts of booze...Done before the Thanksgiving game is a depressing thought. The coaching staff is at a crossroads, there is no going back to being a marginal team for this crew...If it's not fixed next year, somebody else will be in there to fix it. Jim might do himself a favor and release 3 coordinators.
Dawildboar
Dawildboar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:55 am

A big problem with releasing coordinators is that you start back on square one sometimes. You lose the continuty[sic].

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:26 am

Mike, Boar and Dan, I agree with Y'all. Y'all make very valid points. I was merely making the point of how bad the schedule adds to the problem. I also thought it very strange the only game KC has won was a B to B road game. I'm wondering if the players are using it as an excuse. Look where they would be if they had merely won the two most winnable games of that bunch. They would be 6-3 instead of 4-5. Then again turn that home loss to Minny around and they are 7-2. There is really no excuse, they certainly have enough talent, even as deficient as they seem to be in the secondary. I don't see enough, "Want to" from some of the key players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:35 am

RL, can't argue with that. Well, gotta go. Have to go take a test in my Appalachian hillbilly redneck history class. [no joke][it's also interesting]

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 am

IMHO, whining about the schedule is the ultimate in excuse making, and RLM sure likes to whine.

So, the Lions have four sets of back-to-back road games. Big deal. They also have a three straight home stretch in the critical month of November. No travel at all for an entire month! And at a time at which the weather is shitty and travel is an extra pain. You didn't mention that, RLM.

Realistically, if you look at the schedule as a random shuffle of 16 cards, for every disadvantage that occurs, there will be a corresponding advantage. Let's say, for example, you have 3 consecutive games on the road. That means in the remaining permutations of your 13 games, 8 of which are at home, you will have many favorable combinations.

Bottom line is that every team gets 8 games at home and has to play 8 on the road. Schedules are inherently balanced and neutral, but I guess a whiner will find a way to see the negatives and overlook the positives.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:11 am

Not exactly. Wouldn't no back to backs home or away be fair. Realisticaly, on a back to back you lose 1 or 2 days practice. And their are things as a hard schedule or easy schedule. Can't blame it on picking on a team but it still happens.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawildboar Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:40 pm

CorvetteDan wrote:A big problem with releasing coordinators is that you start back on square one sometimes. You lose the continuty[sic].

Dan, with the exception of last year, the Lions have been out of the playoff hunt by the time I'm digging into my Thanksgiving Turkey...Sometimes it's moments before and others it's weeks or days before but as a Lions fan, when the season starts, your realistic hope is not the Superbowl, it's to have the Lions be relevant while eating turkey.

The Lions are 1 loss away from being irrelevant. They play the Packers coming off a bye and the #1 team in the AFC before I eat turkey....I'm not liking the odds Dan. The Vikes game was huge and they came out uninspired and got their arse handed to them by a team with less talent. Personally, I can do without that type of continuity...Give me a double for the road, and the check...I'm going to square one!
Dawildboar
Dawildboar

Back to top Go down

Post by meiden Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:43 am

Dawildboar wrote:
meiden wrote:

Couldn't agree more Mi...NFL didn't do the Lions any favors but the Lions have nobody to blame for their loses, except themselves. Whether is was ridiculous special teams play, lethargic play of the whole team or boring, predictable play calling that Lions fans and I'm sure Lions' opponents have come to expect.

I'm beginning to wonder it the players are getting tired of the same crap called on a different day and that is the cause of their uninspired play. The Lions players can do it, they've shown it, they've failed at more crucial points than not, which causes me to believe I will leave Ford Field on Sunday in dire need of a few stiff belts of booze...Done before the Thanksgiving game is a depressing thought. The coaching staff is at a crossroads, there is no going back to being a marginal team for this crew...If it's not fixed next year, somebody else will be in there to fix it. Jim might do himself a favor and release 3 coordinators.

I'm completely with you on this Boar. This is year four. No excuses. No "we were an 0-16 team". No Millen left it a mess. No first year coach. No, the players need to gell. No injury excuse. Fix it or find someone who will.

meiden
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down