Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George is rolling over in his grave!

Go down

George is rolling over in his grave! Empty George is rolling over in his grave!

Post by SharBar57 Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Mitt Romney does not do his father proud (Viewpoint)

Published: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 7:00 AM Updated: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 7:10 AM

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] By [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]The Kalamazoo Gazette
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Share[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Associated PressRepublican presidential candidate, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and his wife Ann arrive at his election night party in Novi on Feb. 28.BY JOEL J. OROSZ

In the early 1990s, I was privileged to work for several years with Mitt Romney’s father, the late George Romney, when I was a grantmaker at the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, and George Romney was one of the Kellogg Foundation’s grantees. He was a man of integrity; when he sought the Republican nomination in 1968, he lost to Richard Nixon because he wouldn’t compromise his principles (he was for civil rights and against the war in Vietnam). Whatever the cost, George Romey went toe-to-toe against bullies and always did the right thing.

Willard Romney (Mitt’s real first name, by the way), I am told, idolizes his late father. Too bad he utterly lacks his late father’s integrity. When Tea Party extremists overthrew the rational leadership of the Republican party in 2010, he didn’t stand up to fight their fanaticism as George Romney would have; instead, he folded like a cheap suit.

Earlier this year, when a homophobic televangelist outed one of Mitt’s foreign policy advisors who was gay (a lynching offense in today’s intolerant Republican Party), Mitt Romney didn’t have the decency or the courage to defend a friend and employee who had served him well — so a respected, capable, and honorable public servant was forced to resign with Mitt’ Romney's knife sticking out of his back. Do you think that a cowardly lion like Mitt will have what it takes to go eyeball-to-eyeball with the dictators of China and Russia when he quakes in his boots before a hate-spewing, second-string TV preacher? Do you think that a Romney administration will be anything but a government of the radical rich, by the radical rich, for the radical rich, who have bought him by picking up the obscenely expensive tab for his campaign?

It was particularly nauseating to hear Mitt Romney begging for contributions from a group of hate-filled high rollers by calling 47 percent of America’s citizens freeloaders and moochers. Most of these good people pay taxes, and those who don’t were downsized from decent jobs into poverty by vulture capitalists (Texas republican Governor Rick Perry’s term), like Mitt Romney himself. Mitt Romney has flip-flopped on everything he once believed in — health care for every American, a woman’s right to choose, civil rights for immigrants, human rights for gays — to beg for the support of the unholy alliance of far-right fanatics and bigoted billionaires that has turned today’s Republicans from the Grand Old Party into the Greedy Old Party. Mitt Romney says that we shouldn’t attack his financial success. Fine.

Let’s attack the way his spinelessness has betrayed his father’s legacy. Let’s attack his lack of courage. Let’s attack his slippery character. Let’s attack his eagerness to harm the helpless people George Romney dedicated his life’s work to protecting. Let’s all agree that Willard Mitt Romney is morally unfit to be the President of the United States.

Joel J. Orosz is a distinguished professor of philanthropic studies at the Johnson Center for Philanthropy at Grand Valley State University in Grand Rapids. He is a resident of Kalamazoo.

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

George is rolling over in his grave! Empty Re: George is rolling over in his grave!

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Organizing Racial Justice Philanthropy
Four intermediaries working to move funders will share current tools and efforts to strengthen racial justice grantmaking. This interactive session will also engage nonprofits in strategizing about their role in organizing racial justice philanthropy. How can the racial justice field and other social justice activists push or support change, and how can we all be more strategic about the levers of power in an arena that has far more privilege than accountability.

Back to top Go down

George is rolling over in his grave! Empty Re: George is rolling over in his grave!

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:20 pm

Sharon, that is pretty harsh, isn't? Ah well, you do reap what you sow. BTW, Sharon there was a thing on CNN this morning by Fareed Zakaria [I think that's his name] It was pointing out that economically we were headed in a good direction and were out performing all the other major players:Europe, Canada, China and other aned were on the way to a good future of prosperty. It was also pointed out that if Romney was elected, he would get the credit for what was in place before he got there.

Back to top Go down

Post by SharBar57 Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:03 pm

CorvetteDan wrote:Sharon, that is pretty harsh, isn't? Ah well, you do reap what you sow. BTW, Sharon there was a thing on CNN this morning by Fareed Zakaria [I think that's his name] It was pointing out that economically we were headed in a good direction and were out performing all the other major players:Europe, Canada, China and other aned were on the way to a good future of prosperty. It was also pointed out that if Romney was elected, he would get the credit for what was in place before he got there.

Don't criticize the "messenger" Dan...I was just quoting the reporter and their observations on Romney. I wouldn't doubt that Romney would get credit for the economic turnaround that we are experiencing today. The housing market is recuperating, gas prices are going down, and job creation is still on the rise! However, I am still counting on Obama being re-elected and therefore being able to accomplish more for this country. Romney is nothing like his Dad, and God forbid he should become President. Woe be the good 'ole USofA if that should happen!

Sharon

P.S. The austerity programs that most of the European Countries, ie: Greece, is trying to impose, have done nothing but wreak havoc on the whole economic system in the whole of Europe. There were thousands demonstrating in Rome just because of the same unbelievable mess they are in over there. We don't want that to happen here. Wasn't that the Tea Bagger's Economic Plan...to cut spending and cut taxes? And that includes Ryan's Plan that Romney approves of! It just doesn't work...not in Europe and certainly not here in the U.S.

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Sharon, I wasn't talking about you, but rather who the reporter was commenting on

Back to top Go down

Post by SharBar57 Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:20 pm

CorvetteDan wrote:Sharon, I wasn't talking about you, but rather who the reporter was commenting on

Ok, but what I said in response about the economy still holds true

Sharon

SharBar57

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:08 pm

That would be tic for tac Clinton got credit for Bush's economy. Romney get's credit for Obama's efforts. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Dmount--Bush senior put the economy there. He followed Reagan didn't he? Now senior was good on foreign stuff. And seniorsaid a year before the election "I have the answer." And my thought back then was "If you have the answer and you are the president then use it right now." And if he really did have the answer and used it, well Clinton would not have been a president. Remember Bush was still riding a very popular Gulf War were we went in kicked butt real fast, tested all our new gear, showed the world that it's not wise to mess with us and then got out quickly with minimal damage to our side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down