Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Debate wrap up

+2
RingoCStarrQB
duck
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Debate wrap up Empty Debate wrap up

Post by duck Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:35 am

OK, I'll go first again. One word would describe my take on last night's debate: boring. They spent most of the time parroting the same bullshit and each tried to stray from foreign policy to hammer home their messages on domestic policy.

Having said that, there were two results. Obama won the debate but Romney won strategically. Obama continued his attacks on Romney's credibility and won this round but, interestingly, Romney's strategy was not to fight back so much. Instead he took a softer stance and mostly just wanted to reassure undecided voters (and women) that he was not reckless or hawkish. This is much like Reagan's winning strategy against Carter... he simply wanted to dispel fears that he was too aggressive militarily.

So, in that sense, Romney lost the battle but won the debates overall. I think the overall impact of the debates favor Romney. He still gets mileage from his outstanding first debate and left an overall impression that he was a viable leader.

In the final analysis, despite Romney gains in the debate, I predict an Obama victory. The popular polls are about even but Obama still has the electoral edge and is leading in most of the key swing states.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Debate wrap up Empty Re: Debate wrap up

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:37 pm

duck wrote:OK, I'll go first again. One word would describe my take on last night's debate: boring. They spent most of the time parroting the same bullshit and each tried to stray from foreign policy to hammer home their messages on domestic policy.

Having said that, there were two results. Obama won the debate but Romney won strategically. Obama continued his attacks on Romney's credibility and won this round but, interestingly, Romney's strategy was not to fight back so much. Instead he took a softer stance and mostly just wanted to reassure undecided voters (and women) that he was not reckless or hawkish. This is much like Reagan's winning strategy against Carter... he simply wanted to dispel fears that he was too aggressive militarily.

So, in that sense, Romney lost the battle but won the debates overall. I think the overall impact of the debates favor Romney. He still gets mileage from his outstanding first debate and left an overall impression that he was a viable leader.

In the final analysis, despite Romney gains in the debate, I predict an Obama victory. The popular polls are about even but Obama still has the electoral edge and is leading in most of the key swing states.

You know the saying... *It's about the economy, stupid...* This thing is so damn close--it'll come down to who better mobilizes the turnout--especially now that Obama fucked up and likely lost the swing states of North Carolina and Virginia with his most inastute diss on the Navy. It shows absolutely zero understanding of what a seaman is broken down by the military and made in to be. Navy strong--Navy proud... What a fucktard. Like in the last election, watch for plenty of Obama vans pulling up in inner-city neighborhoods passing out cartons of smokes--menthol, no doubt--to anyone who will climb aboard to zoom off to the polls... Very Happy

As far as I'm concerned--the highlight of the debate is when Bob Schieffer was pissed that Pakistan had imprisoned the Doctor who had helped the US take out Obama bin Laden... Laughing Loved it! *Obama* came out--and something with that ever so briefly got caught up in quality assurance in his brain--producing an *uhh* and then the best part--he just said fuck it--it's out there and continued on with *bin Laden*, hardly breaking his stride. LOL The old guy proved to still have some lubrication in the brain... Immediately carried on like a chilled shot of St. Brendan's over the rocks... Cool Neither man overtly reacted--but ostensibly you could just see Obama in the split screen thinking fucking asswipe, in his head... LOL!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:30 pm

It very well could turn out to voter mobilization, HD. In this, the Democrats have the raw numbers at their disposal but the Republicans are far more effective. In this sense, the GOP has always been light-years ahead in organization and tactics. Much easier, of course, when you don't have such a disparate base.

Regarding the "Obama bin Laden" slip, I've done that a few times myself over the years. Hasn't everyone?

When it comes to zingers, however, Obama landed several last night and I don't recall Romney connecting with any. He spent most of his time smiling at Obama with a teeth-clenched grin. It must have been hard for him to pull in his claws as he was obviously instructed to. It will be interesting to see how this strategy pans out. Personally, I think it was a shrewd strategic move by the Republicans.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:01 pm

duck wrote:It very well could turn out to voter mobilization, HD. In this, the Democrats have the raw numbers at their disposal but the Republicans are far more effective. In this sense, the GOP has always been light-years ahead in organization and tactics. Much easier, of course, when you don't have such a disparate base.

Regarding the "Obama bin Laden" slip, I've done that a few times myself over the years. Hasn't everyone?

When it comes to zingers, however, Obama landed several last night and I don't recall Romney connecting with any. He spent most of his time smiling at Obama with a teeth-clenched grin. It must have been hard for him to pull in his claws as he was obviously instructed to. It will be interesting to see how this strategy pans out. Personally, I think it was a shrewd strategic move by the Republicans.

Persuasion 101--Tailor your message to your target audience. Here is the reality:

(A) Polls reflect Romney needs to be more compelling to women voters to win.

(B) Competing baseball playoffs and MNF pulling a heavily dominated male audience away from debate.

A+B= (C) Prime fucking opportunity to make premium impact with precisely the segment you need to--with what I'll call *the softer side of Sears* message/delivery--targeted to women--the dominant audience... Brilliant? You're fucking-A right it was, my friend... Wink

Men are busy slapping their prongs over their favored candidate winning the debate--and, as one of the few things JnC has proven clued into--winning a debate doesn't necessarily correlate substantially to winning an election--and that, after all, is the prize here, eh? Obama, still stung from being completely overrun in the first contest--was still inastutely intent on fighting a battle he already lost--and putting a beatdown on Romney to make up lost ground, except his was a prime *win the battle--lose the war* strategic error...for women were the most undecided, women made up the majority of the audience...and Obama was still hammering away with an approach that mostly only works with the testosterone crowd... Add in the unbelieveable navy fuck-up--and we've got a horserace, my friend... Believe it, bitches... Cool

Last edited by _HD_ on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:37 pm

I can't think of anything more impartial than this:

duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:36 pm

duck wrote:I can't think of anything more impartial than this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] target="_blank" rel="nofollow">]

How 'bout this: Wink

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/gallup-numbers-romney-6-171709551.html]http://news.yahoo.com/gallup-numbers-romney-6-171709551.html

Gallup showed Romney leading 52 percent to 45 percent, which was slightly better than Romney's showing Saturday, which was a lead of 51 percent to 45 percent. Why does each day matter? Because it's folding in results from voters who saw the second presidential debate -- the one Obama won -- while dropping the oldest results from before the debate last Thursday. Obama's victory isn't earning him the same swing in polls that Romney's victory in the first debate did for the Republican. At least, not in Gallup's findings.

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:01 pm

HD, I'm not saying polls of the popular vote have no validity, but as you know, the election is all about electoral votes.

In that sense, I would liken the popular vote to statistics in football. They're nice, but ultimately it's all about the W/L record.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:23 pm

duck wrote:HD, I'm not saying polls of the popular vote have no validity, but as you know, the election is all about electoral votes.

In that sense, I would liken the popular vote to statistics in football. They're nice, but ultimately it's all about the W/L record.

Yup... Florida and Ohio... Two traditionally republican strongholds will decide this race... Living in Minnesota--my vote won't count because all I mostly see are slapdicks like this milking their dongs to black-light posters of JnC up on their bedroom walls... Twisted Evil

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Obama’s Inflated Jobs Claim

FactCheck.org – 3 hrs ago

As desperation sets in... Very Happy

In a new TV ad, President Obama makes an inflated claim to have added 5.2 million new jobs. The total added during his time in office is actually about 325,000.

In the ad, the president says “over 5 million new jobs” while the figure “5.2 million” appears on screen. But that’s a doubly misleading figure.

• Viewers would need to pay close attention to the on-screen graphic to know that the ad refers only to employment gains starting in March 2010, omitting the 4.3 million jobs that were lost in the first year of Obama’s term.
  • And there’s no way a viewer would know that the total counts only private-sector jobs, omitting continuing losses in government employment.

According to the most recent employment figures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the economy has eked out a net gain of 325,000 jobs since January 2009, when Obama took office. And that’s giving credit for roughly 386,000 jobs that [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , that it will be adding to this year’s employment totals next year, as a result of its routine annual “benchmarking” analysis.

Looking only at private-sector jobs, it’s true that the total has risen just under 5.2 million since February 2010 — provided that credit is given for roughly 453,000 private-sector jobs to be added next year through the BLS benchmarking process. But over Obama’s entire term, those private-sector jobs have gone up only 967,000, even counting benchmarking additions.

Other claims in the ad are essentially accurate: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are rising; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] have begun to recover; U.S. automakers are making profits, for example. And viewers can judge for themselves how they feel about the “plan for the next four years” that the president briefly outlines in the ad, which is couched in broad generalities.

But viewers who follow the ad’s invitation to visit [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for further information will find some false and misleading claims. There, the campaign, for example, states that “Mitt Romney criticized the end of the Iraq war as ‘tragic,’ and has offered no plan withdraw our troops from Afghanistan.”

In fact, as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , Romney did not call the end of the Iraq war “tragic.” He used that word to describe the president’s pace of troop withdrawal, not ending a war. And more important, there is no longer any difference between Romney’s position and Obama’s plan to pull all U.S. combat troops out of Afghanistan by the end of 2014. Romney, whose position has evolved from criticism to unqualified acceptance, said during the final presidential debate on the night before the ad was released: “[W]hen I’m president, we’ll make sure we bring our troops out by the end of 2014.”

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:31 pm

Has anyone checked out the performance of S&P 500 lately?
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by throttleplate Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:35 am

living in the philippines in a nipa hut,with young sexy women around me i didnt realize the usa was having an election,whos ahead,Bush or Keary?
throttleplate
throttleplate
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:12 pm

duck wrote:It very well could turn out to voter mobilization, HD. In this, the Democrats have the raw numbers at their disposal but the Republicans are far more effective. In this sense, the GOP has always been light-years ahead in organization and tactics. Much easier, of course, when you don't have such a disparate base.

Saw this article today and thought of your quote here.
An interesting rebuttle to your assumption. ---And just to save HD the bother of posting..."errrrmmahgawd! Librilbiazzz!!!!
geek

JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:39 pm

[quote="JnC4GB"]

An interesting rebuttle to your assumption. ---And just to save HD the bother of posting..."errrrmmahgawd! Librilbiazzz!!!!
geek

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

Shocked Wow. Excellent article, JnC... I'm very proud of your aberrant effort here today... Laughing The article was thorough, supported with substantial empirical fact and not merely partisan bullshit bias...and the conclusions drawn appear to be thus valid...

Now take this, Johnny Appleseed, and nurture this fragile sprout with the hope that it can someday thrive into a majestic great oak and shroud from the sun all those other pathetic weeds and shitwood you've so long been judiciously cultivating... You know I'm your #1 supporter... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:39 pm

JnC4GB wrote:

geek

Very interesting article, JnC. I guess I need to update and upgrade my impression of the Dems' organizational capability. I remember shaking my head a couple of elections back when the Republicans were methodical and organized, using these new-fangled devices called computers to get out the vote, while the Democrats were mired in chaos, holding hands and dancing in their tie-dyed dresses. At least that was the way it seemed.

If the Democrats are truly this organized it only further supports my prediction that Obama will win the election.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:37 pm

...while the Democrats were mired in chaos, holding hands and dancing in their tie-dyed dresses.

...I'm pretty sure you've done a mental acid-bleed on this from when you got a group knob-bobbin' at a Grateful dead concert 30 years ago--but I could be wrong... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 pm

_HD_ wrote:...while the Democrats were mired in chaos, holding hands and dancing in their tie-dyed dresses.

...I'm pretty sure you've done a mental acid-bleed on this from when you got a group knob-bobbin' at a Grateful dead concert 30 years ago--but I could be wrong... Laughing

You have no idea how radicalized I was in my youth. It's a typical pattern, actually... you start out very leftist when you're young and then get more conservative as you get older. Of course, in my day things were a bit more extreme. I did my share of acid trips and Grateful Dead concerts, etc. The difference is, a lot of my peers never came back... literally. Many are dead or in psycho wards. Frankly, a lot of them were just fucking losers. I had the strength to get my shit together and move on to a productive life. The ones who didn't or couldn't were weak or lazy. I still have no problem with people drinking, doing drugs, or living on the edge... as long as you can pull it together the next day and be productive at your job or whatever the fuck you do. That's the conservative side of me... more accurately libertarian side.

Still, I do have a compassionate side that understands that the playing field isn't always level... and I want to give some people a helping hand. I don't have much compassion for the white upper-middle class kids who hang out on the Berkeley street corners playing the flute while getting government handouts, but I genuinely feel for the minority kids who grow up in a culture of poverty and violence. Call me Mr. Liberal here.

As you can see, I'm a very conflicted individual. Sometimes I go as far left as JnC; other times I'm right there with Tiberius. My political notions are generally way outside the cookie-cutter. In many ways it sucks not to have any realistic political representation for my viewpoints.

duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:09 pm

It amazes me to this day that Vince Lombardi was a Democrat but his wife, Marie was a profound Republican. I wonder if mixed marriages still survive today.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:31 am

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:...while the Democrats were mired in chaos, holding hands and dancing in their tie-dyed dresses.

You have no idea how radicalized I was in my youth. It's a typical pattern, actually... you start out very leftist when you're young and then get more conservative as you get older. Of course, in my day things were a bit more extreme. I did my share of acid trips and Grateful Dead concerts, etc. The difference is, a lot of my peers never came back... literally. Many are dead or in psycho wards. Frankly, a lot of them were just fucking losers. I had the strength to get my shit together and move on to a productive life. The ones who didn't or couldn't were weak or lazy. I still have no problem with people drinking, doing drugs, or living on the edge... as long as you can pull it together the next day and be productive at your job or whatever the fuck you do. That's the conservative side of me... more accurately libertarian side.

Still, I do have a compassionate side that understands that the playing field isn't always level... and I want to give some people a helping hand. I don't have much compassion for the white upper-middle class kids who hang out on the Berkeley street corners playing the flute while getting government handouts, but I genuinely feel for the minority kids who grow up in a culture of poverty and violence. Call me Mr. Liberal here.

As you can see, I'm a very conflicted individual. Sometimes I go as far left as JnC; other times I'm right there with Tiberius. My political notions are generally way outside the cookie-cutter. In many ways it sucks not to have any realistic political representation for my viewpoints.

Well, as far as I'm concerned Duck--your perspective is a huge credit to you. Distilled down--you follow your heart and are self-assured enough to not require the affirmation of a specific political party or other manifestation of *the establishment* in order to feel secure within your views/identity. You're in the minority, my friend... Enjoy it... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:20 pm

_HD_ wrote:

Persuasion 101--Tailor your message to your target audience. Here is the reality:

(A) Polls reflect Romney needs to be more compelling to women voters to win.

(B) Competing baseball playoffs and MNF pulling a heavily dominated male audience away from debate.

A+B= (C) Prime fucking opportunity to make premium impact with precisely the segment you need to--with what I'll call *the softer side of Sears* message/delivery--targeted to women--the dominant audience... Brilliant? You're fucking-A right it was, my friend... Wink

Men are busy slapping their prongs over their favored candidate winning the debate--and, as one of the few things JnC has proven clued into--winning a debate doesn't necessarily correlate substantially to winning an election--and that, after all, is the prize here, eh? Obama, still stung from being completely overrun in the first contest--was still inastutely intent on fighting a battle he already lost--and putting a beatdown on Romney to make up lost ground, except his was a prime *win the battle--lose the war* strategic error...for women were the most undecided, women made up the majority of the audience...and Obama was still hammering away with an approach that mostly only works with the testosterone crowd... Add in the unbelieveable navy fuck-up--and we've got a horserace, my friend... Believe it, bitches... Cool

AP POLL: Romney erases Obama advantage among women

WASHINGTON (AP) — What gender gap?

Less than two weeks out from Election Day, Republican Mitt Romney has erased President Barack Obama's 16-point advantage among women, a new Associated Press-GfK poll shows.

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:12 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

Well, as far as I'm concerned Duck--your perspective is a huge credit to you. Distilled down--you follow your heart and are self-assured enough to not require the affirmation of a specific political party or other manifestation of *the establishment* in order to feel secure within your views/identity. You're in the minority, my friend... Enjoy it... Wink

Well thank you, HD. I definitely am in a minority... but I also definitely enjoy my life. Life isn't always easy as a maverick... but it's the only way to go.

And I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:19 pm

I read the same article. No surprise here. As we both noted, Romney's strategy in the last debate was to woo women voters... and it succeeded.

Interestingly, the article went on to say that the reverse had happened with male voters. Obama closed that gap.

The article also went on to point out: "For all of the good news for Republicans, however, what matters most in the election endgame is Romney's standing in the handful of states whose electoral votes still are up for grabs. And polls in a number of those battleground states still appear to favor Obama."

IMHO, you can cut to the chase right here. Nothing is going to change in the hardcore blue states or red states. Each candidate has them wrapped up. It's all going to boil down to the swing states, in particular Florida and Ohio.

duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:50 pm

duck wrote:

I read the same article. No surprise here. As we both noted, Romney's strategy in the last debate was to woo women voters... and it succeeded.

Interestingly, the article went on to say that the reverse had happened with male voters. Obama closed that gap.

The article also went on to point out: "For all of the good news for Republicans, however, what matters most in the election endgame is Romney's standing in the handful of states whose electoral votes still are up for grabs. And polls in a number of those battleground states still appear to favor Obama."

IMHO, you can cut to the chase right here. Nothing is going to change in the hardcore blue states or red states. Each candidate has them wrapped up. It's all going to boil down to the swing states, in particular Florida and Ohio.

Yup...voter mobilization will decide it. Two conflicting forces happening there. (1) As JnC was kind enough to educate us on--Obama has put substantial resources in on the ground--and appears to have a decided advantage there. Romney, however has the turnout weight of the following reality working for him: Dissatisfied people make a greater effort to make their dissatisfaction known than satisfied people do to make known their satisfaction. Tell me...if you're sitting home unemployed with nothing better to do than stare at a stack of bills--are you likely to go vote? And if you are likely to go vote--who are you likely to vote for--the candidate representing the status quo or the candidate representing change? Damn near 9% unemployment in this country...that's a historically staggering number over an ever-extended period of time. I'd be digging in the fucking sofa to find bus fare to go vote... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:08 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

Well thank you, HD. I definitely am in a minority... but I also definitely enjoy my life. Life isn't always easy as a maverick... but it's the only way to go.

Nawww... I just randomly stumble around hoping to one day have the chance to bang the little B-cupper in the back bedroom in Roofer's trailer... Then my life will be complete... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:14 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:

Nawww... I just randomly stumble around hoping to one day have the chance to bang the little B-cupper in the back bedroom in Roofer's trailer... Then my life will be complete... Very Happy

Funny, I never felt any special sense of exhilaration when I nailed Beer's mom in the seventies. Embarassed
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:26 pm

duck wrote:Funny, I never felt any special sense of exhilaration when I nailed Beer's mom in the seventies. Embarassed

Just that burning sensation when you peed, right? Shocked
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next