Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woodson and Jennings

3 posters

Go down

Woodson and Jennings Empty Woodson and Jennings

Post by duck Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:08 am

These two marquee players, one on defense and one on offense, epitomize the drop in quality in this team from the 2011 Packers.

Woodson is starting to show his age. In the last four games, I've often seen him lost in coverage and shaky in run support. At least twice he had opportunities for diving interceptions on tipped balls and twice he was short. I know that in years past he would have caught them. Woodson isn't supposed to be just another defensive back... he's supposed to be a game-changer, a play-maker like Clay Matthews. He isn't. I'm not saying he's a bum or doesn't belong on the field but his value to our team is now greatly diminished.

Even more so, Jennings is just a shell of his former self. He can't even stay on the field anymore. When he is playing, Rodgers hardly targets him anymore, except on quick short passes. That tells me he simply isn't getting open anymore. And when he does catch the short passes, he doesn't seem to possess his former elusiveness. In fact sometimes he danced around too much and almost failed to convert the yardage needed for a first down. Compare Jennings to Cobb. Give each of them a short pass in space and Cobb will totally out-produce our #1 receiver.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Woodson and Jennings Empty Re: Woodson and Jennings

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:59 am

duck wrote:These two marquee players, one on defense and one on offense, epitomize the drop in quality in this team from the 2011 Packers.

Woodson is starting to show his age. In the last four games, I've often seen him lost in coverage and shaky in run support. At least twice he had opportunities for diving interceptions on tipped balls and twice he was short. I know that in years past he would have caught them. Woodson isn't supposed to be just another defensive back... he's supposed to be a game-changer, a play-maker like Clay Matthews. He isn't. I'm not saying he's a bum or doesn't belong on the field but his value to our team is now greatly diminished.

Even more so, Jennings is just a shell of his former self. He can't even stay on the field anymore. When he is playing, Rodgers hardly targets him anymore, except on quick short passes. That tells me he simply isn't getting open anymore. And when he does catch the short passes, he doesn't seem to possess his former elusiveness. In fact sometimes he danced around too much and almost failed to convert the yardage needed for a first down. Compare Jennings to Cobb. Give each of them a short pass in space and Cobb will totally out-produce our #1 receiver.

Like Randy Moss when you swore he was *over* just because his performance had temporarily dropped off in Oakland...neither Jennings nor Woodson have all-of-the-sudden been afflicted with a sudden drop off in capability, Duck... I've tried to tell you before--talent doesn't just evaporate. You need to remember both of them are in new roles/positions this season than they ever have before as Woodson is a Safety and Jennings has become the new Donald Driver in the slot receiver position. That's why he's the one who is the hot read on the short stuff. When roles change--your expectations need to adjust as well--as both of them are finding their sea legs in new roles...

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:25 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:These two marquee players, one on defense and one on offense, epitomize the drop in quality in this team from the 2011 Packers.

Like Randy Moss when you swore he was *over* just because his performance had temporarily dropped off in Oakland...neither Jennings nor Woodson have all-of-the-sudden been afflicted with a sudden drop off in capability, Duck... I've tried to tell you before--talent doesn't just evaporate. You need to remember both of them are in new roles/positions this season than they ever have before as Woodson is a Safety and Jennings has become the new Donald Driver in the slot receiver position. That's why he's the one who is the hot read on the short stuff. When roles change--your expectations need to adjust as well--as both of them are finding their sea legs in new roles...

Valid point about the different roles each player has -- and that probably accounts for some of the perceived drop off. However, that doesn't explain why Jennings can't stay on the field anymore, or why Woodson didn't make those two diving interceptions he would have made in the past.

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "talent doesn't evaporate." It's all relative, I suppose. Woodson and Driver, for example, will always possess superior athletic talent with reference to their age group. They'd kick the asses of most players in their mid-thirties. However, there are lots of talented players in their twenties streaming into the league all the time. At some point -- now or later -- things toggle over and these older athletes will be surpassed by their younger counterparts. Evaporation? I wouldn't use that term. But the bottom line is that the old guys ain't what they used to be.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:27 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

Valid point about the different roles each player has -- and that probably accounts for some of the perceived drop off. However, that doesn't explain why Jennings can't stay on the field anymore, or why Woodson didn't make those two diving interceptions he would have made in the past.

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "talent doesn't evaporate." It's all relative, I suppose. Woodson and Driver, for example, will always possess superior athletic talent with reference to their age group. They'd kick the asses of most players in their mid-thirties. However, there are lots of talented players in their twenties streaming into the league all the time. At some point -- now or later -- things toggle over and these older athletes will be surpassed by their younger counterparts. Evaporation? I wouldn't use that term. But the bottom line is that the old guys ain't what they used to be.

What I'm saying is--that human performance drops off incrementally, Duck... You don't just go from being one of the handful of best WR's in the league one season and something substantially less than that the next. Athletes generally will hit their peak athletic prowess in their mid-twenties and start on an incremental slide down from there as they age until they reach the point where, over a collective period of time, they have in the aggregate experienced enough of a diminishment whereby they cannot any longer compete in the same league with those at their peak. That will generally be a process that takes several years--depending upon position and the physical attributes held at a premium for that role... That's why Charles was moved to Safety, my friend. Speed is a premium attribute in a corner as opposed to a safety. Is Woodson approaching the end? Yes--but any suggestion that his performance capability is suddenly substantially different than last season is just plain misguided... And Jennings? He's injured, Duck. Why is he injured? Sure--age has something to do with it, but--he's not a very big guy--and, operating in the slot primarily, he's taking hits now from lineman and linebackers--when in the past he's merely had to contend with safeties and corners. Shrekfuck would be much smarter keeping Jennings on the outside and plugging the much bigger Nelson in that role...but Jennings could be dead before the Shrekker tumbles in and pulls his thumb out from his ass, eh? I mean--it took him until fucking halftime to figure out what the rest of us saw in two series in the Seattle game, right? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:46 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

What I'm saying is--that human performance drops off incrementally, Duck... You don't just go from being one of the handful of best WR's in the league one season and something substantially less than that the next. Athletes generally will hit their peak athletic prowess in their mid-twenties and start on an incremental slide down from there as they age until they reach the point where, over a collective period of time, they have in the aggregate experienced enough of a diminishment whereby they cannot any longer compete in the same league with those at their peak. That will generally be a process that takes several years--depending upon position and the physical attributes held at a premium for that role... That's why Charles was moved to Safety, my friend. Speed is a premium attribute in a corner as opposed to a safety. Is Woodson approaching the end? Yes--but any suggestion that his performance capability is suddenly substantially different than last season is just plain misguided... And Jennings? He's injured, Duck. Why is he injured? Sure--age has something to do with it, but--he's not a very big guy--and, operating in the slot primarily, he's taking hits now from lineman and linebackers--when in the past he's merely had to contend with safeties and corners. Shrekfuck would be much smarter keeping Jennings on the outside and plugging the much bigger Nelson in that role...but Jennings could be dead before the Shrekker tumbles in and pulls his thumb out from his ass, eh? I mean--it took him until fucking halftime to figure out what the rest of us saw in two series in the Seattle game, right? Wink

This is a very interesting question: just how do athletic skills decline? You've used the term "incremental" in characterizing an athlete's drop off in performance. However, this is something I've discussed frequently with many aging jock friend of mine. (And, believe me, we know something about declining skills pale ) We've all observed that this phenomenon happens in a quantum level "step" progression, not incrementally. In other words, you don't just lose, let's say, 1-2% percent of your ability each year, you maintain at roughly the same level for a while and then -- boom -- you plummet down a rung to a lower quantum level.

Of course, this is just subjective perceptions from a few old guys. I'd be curious to know if there's any objective scientific research on this. Maybe if I have a chance later, I'll see if I can find anything.

duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Jennings got hurt in win #13 last season. They shut him down until the Giants game and he was out of sync. He got few reps in preseason this year and he appeared not to be in shape.

Robert Brooks had an ACL in 1996. When he came back in 1997 his running gait was not the same and it started to peck away at his back. By 1998 he was toast at mid-season.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:16 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

This is a very interesting question: just how do athletic skills decline? You've used the term "incremental" in characterizing an athlete's drop off in performance. However, this is something I've discussed frequently with many aging jock friend of mine. (And, believe me, we know something about declining skills pale ) We've all observed that this phenomenon happens in a quantum level "step" progression, not incrementally. In other words, you don't just lose, let's say, 1-2% percent of your ability each year, you maintain at roughly the same level for a while and then -- boom -- you plummet down a rung to a lower quantum level.

Of course, this is just subjective perceptions from a few old guys. I'd be curious to know if there's any objective scientific research on this. Maybe if I have a chance later, I'll see if I can find anything.

That's not consistent with the way anything in nature works, Duck... This isn't the water pump in Roofer's '79 Ford Galaxie 500 we're talking about here... From the way volcanos blow to leaves changing color--nature and life evolve incrementally... Dinosours didn't get taken out by a *quantum level step progression* in the climate and Charles Woodson won't move on to his next stop in Canton because of it, either... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Tony Gonzales is still quite productive.......even if its in a Falcons uniform and not a Packers uniform cheers
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:41 pm

You gotta believe that's right Ringo.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:50 pm

RingoCStarrQB wrote:You gotta believe that's right Ringo.

Neutral How can the medication do it's job if you don't take it, Ringo? Ringo? Can you make sure Ringo takes his fucking meds, please... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:39 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

That's not consistent with the way anything in nature works, Duck... This isn't the water pump in Roofer's '79 Ford Galaxie 500 we're talking about here... From the way volcanos blow to leaves changing color--nature and life evolve incrementally... Dinosours didn't get taken out by a *quantum level step progression* in the climate and Charles Woodson won't move on to his next stop in Canton because of it, either... Wink

Actually, HD, you've got it dead wrong. The way things work in nature is that things change in quantum level steps an not tiny increments. Ever heard of something called quantum mechanics? That's one of the guiding principles of the universe. Things do not change in a continuous analog way but rather in discrete quantifiable amounts.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:34 am

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

Actually, HD, you've got it dead wrong. The way things work in nature is that things change in quantum level steps an not tiny increments. Ever heard of something called quantum mechanics? That's one of the guiding principles of the universe. Things do not change in a continuous analog way but rather in discrete quantifiable amounts.

LOL! Nice try, Duck...except that--while desperately tried--it is my understanding that no one has to date been able to bring the theory of quantum mechanics beyond merely a theory... I certainly would never pretend to be anything close to an expert in this field--but those geekfucks who are pretty much fundamentally agree that there is no universality present in the theory... In short--it can be used to explain certain things of a discrete nature very well--but when taken to the broader context of universality--it fails under the weight of unending paradox...just as completely as you have in your *baffle 'em with bullshit* strategy in trying to bore me to tears with something so fucking esoteric--it makes me want to remove my shoe and beat you senseless with it like I'm a fucking politician in an emerging third-world country who was just stymied in his effort to get the open sewage canal extended to behind his shit shack or something... LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:31 pm

HD: LOL! Nice try, Duck...except that--while desperately tried--it is my understanding that no one has to date been able to bring the theory of quantum mechanics beyond merely a theory... I certainly would never pretend to be anything close to an expert in this field--but those geekfucks who are pretty much fundamentally agree that there is no universality present in the theory... In short--it can be used to explain certain things of a discrete nature very well--but when taken to the broader context of universality--it fails under the weight of unending paradox...just as completely as you have in your *baffle 'em with bullshit* strategy in trying to bore me to tears with something so fucking esoteric--it makes me want to remove my shoe and beat you senseless with it like I'm a fucking politician in an emerging third-world country who was just stymied in his effort to get the open sewage canal extended to behind his shit shack or something... LOL

Well, you just keep believing everything happens in small gradual increments until you wake up one morning like Roofer did with a bald head, a pot belly, and a note from your wife on the pillow saying she's run off with the UPS man. What could be better verification of the quantum theory? Very Happy
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:37 pm

duck wrote:HD: LOL! Nice try, Duck...except that--while desperately tried--it is my understanding that no one has to date been able to bring the theory of quantum mechanics beyond merely a theory... I certainly would never pretend to be anything close to an expert in this field--but those geekfucks who are pretty much fundamentally agree that there is no universality present in the theory... In short--it can be used to explain certain things of a discrete nature very well--but when taken to the broader context of universality--it fails under the weight of unending paradox...just as completely as you have in your *baffle 'em with bullshit* strategy in trying to bore me to tears with something so fucking esoteric--it makes me want to remove my shoe and beat you senseless with it like I'm a fucking politician in an emerging third-world country who was just stymied in his effort to get the open sewage canal extended to behind his shit shack or something... LOL

Well, you just keep believing everything happens in small gradual increments until you wake up one morning like Roofer did with a bald head, a pot belly, and a note from your wife on the pillow saying she's run off with the UPS man. What could be better verification of the quantum theory? Very Happy

LOL! Roofer was appalled at the thought of pleasuring his wife in any way but the way anyone else could, Duck... How many lives do you get, anyway...? After you go out--Don't you want them to look back top of class, at a fucking minimum...? The *UPS Man* only happens to those who don't know how to deliver the package, my friend...and I know--because I put myself through college in a funky shit-brown suit... I'll leave quantum theory for a substitution now--as it always has been in the past--a poor replacement for how one should be occupying their time/mind after the sun goes down... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:29 am

Thor11 wrote:LOL! Roofer was appalled at the thought of pleasuring his wife in any way but the way anyone else could, Duck... How many lives do you get, anyway...? After you go out--Don't you want them to look back top of class, at a fucking minimum...? The *UPS Man* only happens to those who don't know how to deliver the package, my friend...and I know--because I put myself through college in a funky shit-brown suit... I'll leave quantum theory for a substitution now--as it always has been in the past--a poor replacement for how one should be occupying their time/mind after the sun goes down... Wink

I just can't resist......

So that's what brown did for you, eh HD? I'm betting you were the most popular guy in changing room too.

That has to go high on the 'accomplishment' list also. So why just only the breeze by after mentioning? Talk up those good times sport!

Thor

LOL Not bad, Thor... Now I see why you've been so successful down at the truck stop--as your facebook page proudly reflects all those shots of you proudly displaying your face after apparently bobbing for dick in a vat of cream of mushroom soup... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down