Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFC North Roundup: A Statistical Analysis Of Steelers, Ravens, Browns and Bengals

2 posters

Go down

AFC North Roundup: A Statistical Analysis Of Steelers, Ravens, Browns and Bengals Empty AFC North Roundup: A Statistical Analysis Of Steelers, Ravens, Browns and Bengals

Post by Guest Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:06 pm

AFC North Roundup: A Statistical Analysis Of Steelers, Ravens, Browns and Bengals

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

By [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on Sep 29, 7:48a

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Patrick Smith - Getty Images

This should have come out earlier in the week, especially this week, as the Browns and Ravens have already played their Week 4 game. But we'll ignore that for the moment and take a quick look at how the AFC North finished in Week 3. First, the record:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: 2-1

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: 2-1

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: 0-3

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: 1-2

Yes, friends, the Steelers are in firm control of the No. 3 slot in the AFC North. How can this be? Let's take a look and and see if we can figure it out:

QB Play

Here is how the AFC North quarterbacks stack up at this point in the season. I've used the average QB rating for weeks one, two and three. Here it is:

I also decided to add another feature, the Pro Football Focus Quarterback Rating. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], "Offering an alternative to the out-dated standard, we take into account dropped passes, throw aways, spikes, and yards in the air and further adjust the old formula so it makes more sense and is a more accurate measure."

I was curious how this metric differed from the NFL one. Of the top 10 quarterbacks, three of the PFF ratings were higher and seven lower. Of the next 10, five of the PFF rankings were higher and five were lower. Of the final 12, eight were higher and only four were lower. In fact, the final five ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) were all higher, some substantially. Offhand I'd say these gentlemen's receivers aren't doing them any favors. As you can see, Flacco, Dalton, and Roethlisberger all have a lower ranking from PFF than the NFL number.

The Pro Football Focus guys ranked the quarterbacks according to this measure, league-wide. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is No. 6, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is No. 13, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is No. 17, and Brandon Weeden is the lone QB before Jay Cutler, at No. 31.

On the Interception Watch, so far Ben Roethlisberger is the winner, with one; Joe Flacco has two, Andy Dalton three, and Brandon Weeden comes in with an impressive six. I gather the NFL is now collecting a stat for "Almost-Intercepted," but I haven't checked that out. Frankly, if you start counting things that didn't actually happen, you're going to be awash in a sea of data eventually.

Receivers:

As the above information from PFF indicates, it takes two to tango. And poor Brandon Weeden is pretty much a wallflower at the moment, still leading the pack in dropped balls. I decided it might make more sense to put out a "drop rate" for all the receivers, for Week 3 and for the season, rather than just a cumulative number, which doesn't tell you as much:

If the receivers are dropping close to a third of the passes Brandon Weeden is putting out there, it's no wonder the Browns aren't winning any games.

I had a look at Pro Football Focus to see who were the winners and losers in individual drop rates for receivers. Most of the receivers for BAL, CIN and PIT have no drops of what PFF deems "catchable" balls. This includes three of the four principal TEs, although surprisingly that would be Ben Watson of CLE rather than [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of CIN, who has two drops in 14 catchable targets. Mostly, it's easier to look at who is dropping balls at the moment:

and the big-time winner:

Notice whose receivers aren't dropping anything at all? That's right, Baltimore. The rest of the AFC North are presumably fervently hoping this changes, and soon!

Rushing:

Well, we know the Steelers' running game isn't improving as of Week 3. Let's see about the rest of the division. These are season average stats as of the end of Week 3:

The Steelers still have both the least abundant and the least successful running game. I suppose the only comfort we can derive is CIN and CLE are inching closer to our futility level. Hopefully things will improve for the Steelers after the Bye Week.

Defense:

To this point, no defense is showing up in a typically ferocious, AFC-North sort of way. The NFL ranks the defenses this way:

Ravens: No. 25 (Last week 27)

Bengals: No. 29 (Last week 30)

Browns: No. 27 (Last week 29)

Steelers: No. 7 (Last week 7)

Here are charts for Passes Defensed, Sacks, and Turnover/Takeway Margin. (All are cumulative.)

(CLE and PIT are at zero, hence their bar doesn't show up.)

Special Teams:

The only teams so far to have a Special Teams touchdown, or to have given one up, were playing each other at the time; (CLE special teams gave up a touchdown to CIN.) But otherwise Cleveland's return game beats the rest of the AFC hollow:

So far the kickers are equal, with 100% success rate on field goals. As we all know by now, that will change in Week 4, at least for the Ravens, but we'll deal with that next week.

The Payoff:

Thanks to a questionable call by the referees, the Ravens stay tied with the Bengals for first place in the division. Thanks to the Browns, the Steelers are not tied for last place.

Joe Flacco is, I have to say, playing well for the most part. I still find it incomprehensible that the Ravens are content to keep [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on ice for the majority of games when it seems every time he touches the ball he rips off five or six yards. But perhaps, as Cam Cameron was quoted today, they are trying to keep him fresh. And, after all, they are 2-1 now (and, as we all know, actually 3-1.) For all of the talk about the defense being not what it has been, I see the Ravens as the most balanced team right now, unfortunately.

Brandon Weeden would probably look a lot better if the Browns had taken some trouble over getting him a few receivers who can hold onto the ball. Greg Little is a great physical specimen, but for every great catch he makes he drops one—or nearly. It rather painfully reminds us of another large, physically-gifted receiver who never overcame this problem. The rumors are Little may be demoted, but with Massaquoi out and Cribbs concussed, they may not have any choice but to run him out there and pray. Or wave for PI calls...

Andy Dalton doesn't seem to be suffering from any sort of sophomore slump. He's got some great receivers as well. And although the defense is giving up a lot of yards, their sack rate is unbelievable.

As for the Steelers, who knows? I'm a bit concerned about the number of penalties the team is garnering, and it seems as if special teams is giving up a lot and not getting it back. Here's hoping the Bye cures all ills, including Harrison's knee and Polamalu's calf.

As for predictions this week, you can take this one to the bank - the Ravens are going to beat the Browns on Thursday night football. Given that I had a spectacular fail rate of 100% on last week's predictions, I think I'm going to stay out of the prognostication business from now on.

Back to top Go down

AFC North Roundup: A Statistical Analysis Of Steelers, Ravens, Browns and Bengals Empty Re: AFC North Roundup: A Statistical Analysis Of Steelers, Ravens, Browns and Bengals

Post by Guest Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:24 am

TEH AMOUNT OF PENALTYS TEH STEELERS HAVE HAD SO FAR SPEEKS OF PISS POOR COACHING....

Back to top Go down

AFC North Roundup: A Statistical Analysis Of Steelers, Ravens, Browns and Bengals Empty Re: AFC North Roundup: A Statistical Analysis Of Steelers, Ravens, Browns and Bengals

Post by Guest Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:28 am

DaRKMuMMySauRuS wrote:TEH AMOUNT OF PENALTYS TEH STEELERS HAVE HAD SO FAR SPEEKS OF PISS POOR COACHING....

Of course the scab refs had nothing to do with that. Keep beating your drum Mum. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:31 am

DiehardSteelersfan wrote:
DaRKMuMMySauRuS wrote:TEH AMOUNT OF PENALTYS TEH STEELERS HAVE HAD SO FAR SPEEKS OF PISS POOR COACHING....

Of course the scab refs had nothing to do with that. Keep beating your drum Mum. Rolling Eyes

STEELERS BEEN SLOPPY FOR YEARS UNDER HIM....AND NO THOSE SCAB REFS AHD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT...CAUSE THEY REF'D VEREY OTEHR TEAM AS WELL..AND TEH STEELERS STILL HAVE AN ABNORMAL AMOUNT...FACE IT..ITS A SLOPPILY COACHED TEAM AND THERES NO LEADERSHIP BY TEH HEAD COACH EITHER

Back to top Go down

Post by RLON39 Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:57 am

Steelers are badly coached through week 3, no doubt...reminds me of a season start under Cowher...

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by leejr Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:07 am

In some aspect the Steelers were out coached. But that's not what hurting this club. What's hurting this club is the fact they got exposed to a passing game. Like I said in a post Peyton expose them,and Palmer put the icing on the cake. No team for the most is going to beat Pitt running,but your chances are better throwing against them. Teams are going to start involving their TE to slow Pitt aggressive D down. Until the Steelers find some type of running game to keep the opposing team honest,this could be a very very long season.The run game has got to come from a revamp OL,and Rb that can get the job done week by week.
leejr
leejr
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:37 am

WHOO HOOO the Browns are leading in special teams:cheers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:40 am

Agreed now what should they do the rest of the year?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down