Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The trick play

3 posters

Go down

The trick play Empty The trick play

Post by duck Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:57 am

Was I the only one who thought the trick play on the FG attempt was a bad idea? I mean, any time a trick play works, the coach looks good... but I thought this one was a poor gamble. Consider the game context. the Packers were clinging to a 3-0 lead in a tough defensive battle. They had been getting the better of the Bears but still had only a 3 point lead to show for it. Crosby was lining up for a long FG that could put the Pack ahead by 6. He had already made a long FG (and was to make another one later in the evening, so he had the leg for it). It was 4th-and-26... so unless the trick play scored a TD, the Bears would have gotten the ball back only down 3. Let's not even consider the possibility that, with an inexperienced ball handler like Masthay making the pitch, something bad could have happened and conceivably the Bears could have even recovered a fumble and advance the ball and possibly even scored.

Now that it's over and done with, I'm glad opposing coaches have something to worry about. They've seen McCarthy call onsides kicks at unlikely times... and now this. They know he's capable of riverboat gambling at any juncture of the game.

But I still think this was a poor gamble.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

The trick play Empty Re: The trick play

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:12 pm

duck wrote:Was I the only one who thought the trick play on the FG attempt was a bad idea? I mean, any time a trick play works, the coach looks good... but I thought this one was a poor gamble. Consider the game context. the Packers were clinging to a 3-0 lead in a tough defensive battle. They had been getting the better of the Bears but still had only a 3 point lead to show for it. Crosby was lining up for a long FG that could put the Pack ahead by 6. He had already made a long FG (and was to make another one later in the evening, so he had the leg for it). It was 4th-and-26... so unless the trick play scored a TD, the Bears would have gotten the ball back only down 3. Let's not even consider the possibility that, with an inexperienced ball handler like Masthay making the pitch, something bad could have happened and conceivably the Bears could have even recovered a fumble and advance the ball and possibly even scored.

Now that it's over and done with, I'm glad opposing coaches have something to worry about. They've seen McCarthy call onsides kicks at unlikely times... and now this. They know he's capable of riverboat gambling at any juncture of the game.

But I still think this was a poor gamble.

It's a low percentage play, so therefore it is ALWAYS a poor gamble--Duck... Basically--it's the type of play intended to embarrass and dispirit the opposition...and should only be attempted in this situation when you see a systemic coverage breakdown in the D that leverages it into a likely higher percentage play... Apparently that's what the Pack saw... The bottom line is this: When you are playing a team with a Cuntler at QB--it's time to let your rock star out and have some fun...'cuz that bitch is always the party without the hangover... Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:44 pm

No. I actually thought it was ridiculous. This is a play that can get a coach fired under normal circumstances. I am not against fake FGs when it is a long kick and the score could be at your advantage just like an onside kick at the most unexpected time. But the kickers have been nailing all the long ones this season..Crosby, Gold, and Akers...who can say more. But when it is 4th and 26 the likelihood is slim to none.

MM figured 3 points is no big deal at that point. The field position if we failed would not have been much worse than a short punt. And if the FG is missed they get the ball way out there anyhow. If last week had been different and we were rolling through the first half with a comfortable lead he probably just lets him kick.

Remember, this was a Bears-Packers game. All the crazy, wacky things happen each time we play each other. Not too unlike Chester Marcol scoring a TD with his own blocked FG in OT way back when.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

The trick play Empty 4th & 26

Post by ffaralli Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:16 pm

As I drove home last night listening to the game on the car radio, all I could think about was the 4th & 26 play vs the Eagles in the playoffs.

I figured, good bet to go up 6-0.

The announcer on the radio said, its a fake, to Crabtree, 20, 15, 10, 5......TD.....

I was wondering what the heck is that? A dangerous play. We had to get to the 1 for a first down.

I would not have dared to call that play. Very low percentage play indeed.

But when I saw the replay, its was really a thing of beauty. Initially, I could not spot the ball carrier (neither could the Bears), then a hole opening up and he had a convoy of blockers. It was perfection.

That play will be on highlight reels all season long.

FF

ffaralli

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:42 pm

It was a thing of beauty. But then the 9-11 attack has been called diabolically beautiful too. Mad
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down