Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tough guy - played through some real pain

Go down

Tough guy - played through some real pain Empty Tough guy - played through some real pain

Post by RickC Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:02 am

I had a similar injury, probably not as severe, the pain is intense.

Jets' Matt Slauson played with torn labrum, rotator cuff and biceps last season

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerLeft guard Matt Slauson said the recovery time for his offseason shoulder surgery is five to six months.
Matt Slauson described his level of pain last season as "quite a significant amount." That's because the Jets left guard started every game with a torn labrum, rotator cuff and bicep in his left shoulder, he revealed today.

"I knew something was wrong, but I was like, 'OK, I'll keep on playing as long as I can play,' and I was able to get through it all," Slauson said after a press conference to announce WrestleMania will be held at MetLife Stadium in April 2013. "I felt like I had a fairly successful year personally with it. So I'm really excited about next year without having pain."

Slauson had surgery right after the Jets' season ended last month -- open surgery, not just a scope -- to repair the shoulder. He said the recovery time is five to six months, so he will be limited through organized team activities this spring. But he expects to be 100 percent for training camp.

Slauson said he feels “great,” and the recovery is going well so far. He went so far as to say that in about another month, he will be physically ahead of the condition he played in all last season.

He initially injured his shoulder against the Patriots in Dec. 2010. Because he was still able to play -- and weight lift, "kind of," he said -- Slauson figured it wasn't a big deal and never had it checked out. It wasn't until after the 2011 season that he learned how serious the injuries were.

Slauson fared well in his second season as a starter nonetheless. But how much did it hinder him? He isn't sure, suggesting, "maybe I wouldn’t have given up a sack here or a tackle here."

Slauson began his rehab at alma mater Nebraska, then returned o New Jersey this week. On his first day back at the facility, he met new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano and new position coach Dave DeGuglielmo. He walked away with a positive impression, calling them "great guys" and "really knowledgeable."

Slauson also said he spoke with the player development staff and got the impression some team members are in the process of brainstorming team-building exercises. The Jets’ top priority is rebuilding locker-room chemistry after the public turmoil that capped an 8-8 season.

Slauson hasn't spoken to his teammates on the topic of team-building, nor has he seen quarterback Mark Sanchez, though he said he heard Sanchez returned to New Jersey last week.

He was reluctant to revisit the well-documented team rifts last season or weigh in on some teammates’ public takes on the locker-room dysfunction. He said he doesn't care about the past anymore, adding, “I think we all know better now.”

"We're not worried about all the drama that happened last year," Slauson said. "We've got enough to deal with, with all the new coaches and stuff. When we come back, we have to learn a new offense. So I'm not worrying about any of the stuff that happened last year, I'm just focusing on winning a Super Bowl."

Muhammad Wilkerson, the Jets' first-round pick last year, said he had the chance to meet with new defensive line coach Karl Dunbar a few weeks ago. Wilkerson originally met Dunbar when the coach was still with the Vikings, during a pre-draft visit last spring.

"He’s a great guy. (He coached) Jared Allen, all those great guys," Wilkerson said. "I look forward to him coaching me and bringing all the success he had there with the Vikings."

Wilkerson said he hopes nose tackle Sione Pouha, who is due to become a free agent, is back next season. He called Pouha "underrated."

Wilkerson also said he did not need offseason surgery or a scope on his shoulder. He was listed on the injury report with a shoulder injury all season but said it was just a sprain.

DB Donald Strickland will also be a free agent, after signing a one-year deal to return to the Jets last summer. He would like to be back with the Jets in 2012.

"I know the Jets expressed interest; we’ll see what happens," he said. "I definitely love playing for this organization. I would love to continue to be a part of it and achieve the ultimate goal of winning a championship. I think we are capable of doing that, we just have to get things in order, and I think we’ll get that done. So we’ll see."
RickC
RickC

Back to top Go down