Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Right Ringo?

2 posters

Go down

Right Ringo? Empty Right Ringo?

Post by Guest Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Each Sunday, Craig Newsome and his son watch football all day in their basement. It's become a family tradition. The NFL Sunday Ticket is an absolute must. And for now, 13-year-old Craig Jr., plays the game himself, too.

But if anybody knows the toll football can take, it's Dad. The former Green Bay Packers cornerback [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of pain, depression and addiction since leaving the NFL in 1999. Amid an off-season swirl of concussion lawsuits, a bounty scandal and Junior Seau's tragic death, some players have admitted they'd prefer their sons [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It's an interesting debate worth discussing, especially for parents.

Newsome struggled with the question at first, eventually saying he'd rather see his son stick with basketball.

“You know, I think maybe he should just play basketball," he said. "He might not get as injured as me. At the same time, I know he loves football. And he loves basketball.

“I always tell him that football is a violent sport. He’s seen on TV how guys get injured. But really, I wish he’d just play basketball. But I don’t think I could ever tell him that. ...I started playing tackle ball when I was 8 and played all the way through.”

Newsome's back pain doesn't trace back to one specific play. Rather, it was the result of "years and years of hitting a brick wall" since he picked the sport up.

In defense of the sport, Pop Warner, JV and Varsity football do a lot of good. The lessons football teaches and the memories it builds are immeasurable. The vote here would be to play on. Then again, I don't have kids. And as Newsome said, kids can turn to other sports.

Newsome's wife, Tara, made a good point as well. No kid, no teen, no young adult ever imagines the life of pain Newsome endured.

“I don’t think any 22-year-old can forsee in four years being flat on a table getting your back operated on," she said. "I can’t imagine someone walking up to a 22-year-old Craig and saying, ‘Do you realize in five years, you’re literally going to be incapacitated for years. You’ll have to depend on a pain pump just to feel normal and out of pain.’”

What say you?

What's so complicated? From the beginning of time there have been but two paths to prosperity--with your brain or with your back...and when your back is riding shotgun to a brain with no yo go when you step on the gas--you've got one option and one option only. I don't care if you're a prostitute or a pro football player... You're there for a reason... Those with a brain never do the heavy lifting with their bodies... Wink

Back to top Go down

Right Ringo? Empty Re: Right Ringo?

Post by duck Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:19 pm

What's so complicated? From the beginning of time there have been but two paths to prosperity--with your brain or with your back...and when your back is riding shotgun to a brain with no yo go when you step on the gas--you've got one option and one option only. I don't care if you're a prostitute or a pro football player... You're there for a reason... Those with a brain never do the heavy lifting with their bodies... Wink

Nah, instead the smart ones take up masochistic sports like running and cycling and beat their own bodies to a pulp until they're eventually taken out by crazy drivers. Very Happy

Seriously, it's interesting to see how many former football players are now discouraging their sons from playing the brutal sport. I know if I had a son, I would steer him away from football.

So instead I get a daughter who is into rock climbing, the second most dangerous sport there is, second to scuba diving.... Ai yi yi.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by milani Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:20 am

I look at the physical specimens that play football and realize how physical just one basic play is. Yet we love the sport from early on.

These guys take a pounding. What amazes me was seeing Jim Taylor back in Green Bay last year. He's a man obviously as old as Starr, Kramer, Hornung and the rest. Yet for someone in his late 70's he is still a physical specimen with a solid workout regimen. This is a man that probably took the longest and worst pounding of any player in Packer history from 1957-66. He gained all those yards, made all those carries. He had players from Huff to Butkus literally trying to tear his head off and yet he just came back for more right into SB I. And yet he was not a big FB even by yesterday's standards. Taylor did not avoid contact on the field by running out of bounds. He literally sought to run over players even when he had openings to the outside. Keep running to daylight, Jimmy.
milani
milani
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down