Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REX IN BRAZIL FOR WORLD CUP

3 posters

Go down

REX IN BRAZIL FOR WORLD CUP Empty REX IN BRAZIL FOR WORLD CUP

Post by LRJets Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

REX IN BRAZIL FOR WORLD CUP Empty Re: REX IN BRAZIL FOR WORLD CUP

Post by guppy Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:51 am

LRJets wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Looking quite svelte.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:56 am

guppy: wrote:

Looking quite svelte.

Rex doesn't look that bad either.

There were a lot of USA sports and non-sports celebrities attending the games. I think Tom Brady was there. A friend of mine is married to a Brazilian. He had to go. They saw USA vs. Germany in a torrential downpour. Took them 3 hours to get to the stadium from where they were staying. 

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:45 pm

wassejet wrote:
guppy: wrote:

Looking quite svelte.

Rex doesn't look that bad either.

Agreed, he does not look bad at all.  Well, except maybe for that famous tatoo.  I might take issue with the attractiveness of that little patch of ink.  LOL.

There were a lot of USA sports and non-sports celebrities attending the games. I think Tom Brady was there. A friend of mine is married to a Brazilian. He had to go. They saw USA vs. Germany in a torrential downpour. Took them 3 hours to get to the stadium from where they were staying. 

Switching to another sport, but on the topic of Brazil, yesterday I watched (part, not all) of the women's beach volleyball championship between the U.S. and Brazil.  The coach of the U.S. team was Brazilian, and the coach of the Brazil team was Brazilian.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:14 pm

guppy wrote:

Switching to another sport, but on the topic of Brazil, yesterday I watched (part, not all) of the women's beach volleyball championship between the U.S. and Brazil.  The coach of the U.S. team was Brazilian, and the coach of the Brazil team was Brazilian.
Don't get me started on beach volleyball! A phony sport if ever I saw one. Volleyball is a great sport, demanding athleticism, coordination and teamwork, and is exciting to watch. Beach volleyball is a sport for ego-maniacs left over from volleyball who can't get enough touches. Aside from the bikinis in the women's game, I'd rather watch grass grow (or sand shift!)  

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:46 am

wassejet wrote:
guppy wrote:

Don't get me started on beach volleyball! A phony sport if ever I saw one. Volleyball is a great sport, demanding athleticism, coordination and teamwork, and is exciting to watch. Beach volleyball is a sport for ego-maniacs left over from volleyball who can't get enough touches. Aside from the bikinis in the women's game, I'd rather watch grass grow (or sand shift!)  
Except if it was Wilt Chamberlain, possibly the greatest athlete who ever lived.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:30 pm

LRJets wrote:

Except if it was Wilt Chamberlain, possibly the greatest athlete who ever lived.

As far as I know, Chamberlain played volleyball, not beach volleyball.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:44 pm

wassejet wrote:
LRJets wrote:

Sorry Mr. "Greatest athlete who ever lived".  You're not bringing that ball into the house I am protecting. 

Now tell me, how does that "Wilson burger" taste?

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by wassejet Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:35 pm

guppy wrote:

Sorry Mr. "Greatest athlete who ever lived".  You're not bringing that ball into the house I am protecting. 

I remember seeing many of those matchups on TV in the late 50's and early 60's. Russell, as great as he was, did not dominate Wilt. In fact the way I remember it, it was the other way around. The difference was the teams around each of the two. Russell had a great entourage of players around him, whereas Chamberlain pretty much was the team he played for. I can't remember who else played for the Warriors in those days other than Paul Arizin who was no Tommy Heinsohn. Nevertheless, when Wilt got the ball down in the post, there wasn't anyone who could stop him including Russell. What the Celtics were great at was stopping everyone else on his team from scoring.

wassejet
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:59 pm

wassejet wrote:
guppy wrote:

I remember seeing many of those matchups on TV in the late 50's and early 60's. Russell, as great as he was, did not dominate Wilt. In fact the way I remember it, it was the other way around. The difference was the teams around each of the two. Russell had a great entourage of players around him, whereas Chamberlain pretty much was the team he played for. I can't remember who else played for the Warriors in those days other than Paul Arizin who was no Tommy Heinsohn. Nevertheless, when Wilt got the ball down in the post, there wasn't anyone who could stop him including Russell. What the Celtics were great at was stopping everyone else on his team from scoring.

Some define greatness by counting rings.  Using that yardstick, Russ was "the greatest"

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:49 pm

guppy wrote:
wassejet wrote:
guppy wrote:

Some define greatness by counting rings.  Using that yardstick, Russ was "the greatest"

What is that called, "Portrait of a Racist"?   Ask your buddy Rags, a fellow Bostonian what he thinks of Russell as he approached him in his younger years (Rags) for an autograph.Most people I know who are basketball enthusiasts would take Wilt over him or anyone when starting a team.  Does 55 rebounds against Russell count for something?  Being a part of the world championshion 440 relay count for something?   Michael Horry has at least 5 rings, is he even in the top 100 of all time?  Typical NE answer to agitate.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:43 pm

LRJets wrote:
  Typical NE answer to agitate.

Agitate?  LOL.   Agitate? 

Expressing a valid opinion regarding the greatest "winner" of all time (11 as a player, 2 as a coach) is now considered in some fashion "agitating"? 

You must not be into sports talk radio at all.  People actually express opinions on there that don't agree with each other, but yet each opposing opinion still has validity.

Wilt was hugely talented and an offensive juggernaut, while Russ was a defensive stopper like no other who won more championships than anyone else.   Russ' shot blocking was unparalleled.  He invented blocking the shot and tipping it to a teammate in the same motion.   The phrase used so commonly today "defense wins championships" dates back to Russell and his Celtics.   Wilt's blocks ended up in the third row, which is certainly entertaining, but not as much about winning the game as Russell's tips to teammates to start fast breaks were.  Russ cared about one thing - winning.  He played in an era where they didn't even keep stats on blocks and steals, but cared little about that because it was all about winning, not stats, with him.

In 61-62 Wilt was the stat man (kinda like Peyton Manning is today).  He averaged over 50 PPG, a mark no one has ever come close to.   A lock for MVP that year, right?  Nope.  The MVP went to Russell , who averaged only 19 PPG, but who led his team to 11 more wins than Wilt's team.  For those voters who actually watched the games, and not just read the stat sheets, Russell was the Most Valuable Player.

Wilt won 2 rings.  '67 and '72.  The one in '72 was with a Lakers team stacked with Hall of Famers.  And it was after Russell retired.  Wilt finally committed to defense and trusting his teammates to win those championships (instead of yelling at them when they missed a shot after he passed them the ball, which denied him an assist on the stat sheet - the thing with the most meaning for him).  To win it all, Wilt finally bought into the defensive way of playing that Russell had been showcasing for years.

I thought NYers had a reputation for being tough and thick skinned.  Was I ever wrong.  I never really knew that the slightest little thing can set them off.  I'm now asking myself should I now consider that fragility to be "typical" of NY?

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:43 am

LRJets wrote:

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:00 pm

LRJets wrote:
LRJets wrote:

Your favorite birthday boy (37 on Sunday) heading to the bus.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:17 pm

guppy wrote:
LRJets wrote:
LRJets wrote:

Your favorite birthday boy (37 on Sunday) heading to the bus.

Here's a better picture of Birthday Boy.

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down