Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A good sign, I guess.

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A good sign, I guess. Empty A good sign, I guess.

Post by guppy Mon May 12, 2014 9:09 am

Seattle really wanted Dominic Easley, but the Pats grabbed him ahead of them.  I hope the pick works out.

Still don't get the need to pick Brady's successor yet in such a high pick.  In the AFCC game last year Denver punted once on their first possession, and then never punted again in the game.  No defense by NE.  We obviously need as much help on defense as possible, and most fans favor a "win now" mentality with Brady approaching 37, and would have liked the second round pick to be used for more help on D. 

Belichick's response was, look at what happened to Indianapolis the year after Manning was gone, it was a disaster, they won one or two games, whatever it was.  He said, "That's not what we're looking for."  Apparently its never too early for Bill to be planning for the future.

But, as they say, if a GM made decisions to please the fans, he will soon find himself being one of them. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

A good sign, I guess. Empty Re: A good sign, I guess.

Post by Rick Mon May 12, 2014 11:04 am

Seattle really wanted Dominic Easley, but the Pats grabbed him ahead of them.

I don't buy that. I just wish that for once Bill would stop trying to prove how smart he is and pick a guy they actually need at around the spot the guy actually belongs.
There's "value" in that too.

Still don't get the need to pick Brady's successor yet in such a high pick.

They could be planning a change or at least for the possibilty of one sooner than any of us think. It's better to get rid af a guy too soon than too late. And HOF QBS finishing up on their own terms are the exception, not the rule.

Rick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon May 12, 2014 11:19 am

Here's a better sign...............

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Mon May 12, 2014 11:56 am

LRJets wrote:Here's a better sign...............

I wonder how many accidents were caused by people taking cellphone pictures of this.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon May 12, 2014 12:14 pm

I wonder how many accidents were caused by people taking cellphone pictures of this. 

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon May 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Rick wrote:Seattle really wanted Dominic Easley, but the Pats grabbed him ahead of them.

I don't buy that. I just wish that for once Bill would stop trying to prove how smart he is and pick a guy they actually need at around the spot the guy actually belongs.

Whadda mean you don't buy it?  Don't buy what?  That Seattle really wanted him, and when the Pats took him, the Seattle war room reacted and changed their strategy in response?  Where in BB picking Dominic Easley do you find that Bill is somehow trying to prove how smart he is?  He simply made a pick.  He did not know or care what Seattle was planning.  You're off the rails here.  Did you click on the link I provided to the story about it on nfl.com.  Try it.

Still don't get the need to pick Brady's successor yet in such a high pick.

They could be planning a change or at least for the possibilty of one sooner than any of us think. It's better to get rid af a guy too soon than too late. And HOF QBS finishing up on their own terms are the exception, not the rule.

I agree.  Montana, Favre, P. Manning all ended up with other teams when we thought none of them ever would.  It happens.  As things stand now, I think Brady will never change uniforms; along with the likes of Marino and Elway, he'll be one of the exceptions.  If it turns out otherwise I'll be shocked. 
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon May 12, 2014 12:50 pm

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon May 12, 2014 1:04 pm

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Mon May 12, 2014 2:02 pm

Gup, you're a righteous dude--

"Not that there's anything wrong with that".

LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon May 12, 2014 2:16 pm

LRJets wrote:

"Not that there's anything wrong with that".

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Mon May 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Rick wrote:

New Hampshire newspaper.  Jan. 2013. 

LOL.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Tue May 13, 2014 9:56 am

Seattle really wanted Dominic Easley, but the Pats grabbed him ahead of them.

Whadda mean you don't buy it?  Don't buy what?  That Seattle really wanted him, and when the Pats took him, the Seattle war room reacted and changed their strategy in response?  Where in BB picking Dominic Easley do you find that Bill is somehow trying to prove how smart he is?  He simply made a pick.  He did not know or care what Seattle was planning.  You're off the rails here.  Did you click on the link I provided to the story about it on nfl.com.  Try it.

I did read the link. Thats what made me not buy it. The source was Ian Rapaport. I don't know if you remember him with the Herald. But he was the Pats information officer. Dont get me wrong, he was good better than what they had before, Tommase, Felger ect, but it looked like he took over for Reiss as the guy BB wen to when he wanted to put something out there. Looks like he still is because according to Pete and the Seahawks GM they never had any interest in Easley.
Made it look like there was a reason for taking a guy about 30 picks early though.
Rapaport was also the source for the story, also completely false according to the Texans, that a Mallett to Houston trade was imminent which would make their second round pick look a little less weird.
 I don't completely buy that one either because of the source.

Rick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Tue May 13, 2014 10:02 am

As things stand now, I think Brady will never change uniforms; along with the likes of Marino and Elway, he'll be one of the exceptions.  If it turns out otherwise I'll be shocked.

Before they took a QB in the second round I would have been shocked as well. Now, probably just  surprised.

Rick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue May 13, 2014 11:40 am

Rick wrote:Seattle really wanted Dominic Easley, but the Pats grabbed him ahead of them.

I did read the link. Thats what made me not buy it. The source was Ian Rapaport. I don't know if you remember him with the Herald. But he was the Pats information officer. Dont get me wrong, he was good better than what they had before, Tommase, Felger ect, but it looked like he took over for Reiss as the guy BB wen to when he wanted to put something out there. Looks like he still is because according to Pete and the Seahawks GM they never had any interest in Easley.
Made it look like there was a reason for taking a guy about 30 picks early though.
Rapaport was also the source for the story, also completely false according to the Texans, that a Mallett to Houston trade was imminent which would make their second round pick look a little less weird.
 I don't completely buy that one either because of the source.

I will look deeper into Ian Rapoport and his credibility from now on as a result of this info.   However, Rapoport is still sticking by his claim today that a trade with the Texans for Mallet is "still possible".   Where is the info that the Seahawks never had any interest in Easley?  I'm too into other things to go looking for it.

Believe me, I know what reporters do.  They try to be "the first" to break something that they deem to be "news", but that the rest of us yawn at.  If he's putting out bad info, why isn't he fired?  Instead he's touted as an "NFL Insider".

I still will not touch or pay the slightest attention to anything Tommase does, says or writes, based on his front page lie and violation of basic journalism 101 just before the superbowl --- retraction and apology notwithstanding.  Kraft may say he was "satisfied" with Tommase's and the Herald's apology, but not me.  Screw em.  Fat f@#k.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue May 13, 2014 11:46 am

Rick wrote: As things stand now, I think Brady will never change uniforms; along with the likes of Marino and Elway, he'll be one of the exceptions.  If it turns out otherwise I'll be shocked.

Before they took a QB in the second round I would have been shocked as well. Now, probably just  surprised.

Brady's going to be 37 this season. 

All three:  Montana, Marino and Elway retired at 38.

Peyton Manning threw for 5,500 yards at age 37.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Wed May 14, 2014 5:30 pm

Where is the info that the Seahawks never had any interest in Easley?  I'm too into other things to go looking for it.

Rick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Tue May 20, 2014 11:02 am

It's a weird one. Usually it takes a few years for BBs drafts to look bad. This one is strange right from the start.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue May 20, 2014 1:57 pm

George1963 wrote:I don't buy that. I just wish that for once Bill would stop trying to prove how smart he is and pick a guy they actually need at around the spot the guy actually belongs.

It's a weird one. Usually it takes a few years for BBs drafts to look bad. This one is strange right from the start.

I don't see giving him anything more than a C+. 

Tough guy to figure out sometimes.  Always has been.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Tue May 20, 2014 4:01 pm

guppy wrote:
George1963 wrote:I don't buy that. I just wish that for once Bill would stop trying to prove how smart he is and pick a guy they actually need at around the spot the guy actually belongs.

I don't see giving him anything more than a C+. 

Tough guy to figure out sometimes.  Always has been.

Two teams vying for a player with a 2 ACL history.   Ok, now that makes sense.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Tue May 20, 2014 4:11 pm

George1963 wrote:
LRJets wrote:Here's a better sign...............

So far this year, police departments across the state have given out 1,083 tickets for failure to signal before changing lanes. Last year, police gave out 4,967 tickets for that violation, and 4,359 in 2012.
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Thu May 22, 2014 11:11 am

I'll give him Bryan Stork. Picked too soon, but I think he'll be a good one.
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by George1963 Thu May 22, 2014 11:14 am

So far this year, police departments across the state have given out 1,083 tickets for failure to signal before changing lanes. Last year, police gave out 4,967 tickets for that violation, and 4,359 in 2012.

What'd they do? Stop ticketing the illegals?
George1963
George1963
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Thu May 22, 2014 1:15 pm

George1963 wrote:So far this year, police departments across the state have given out 1,083 tickets for failure to signal before changing lanes. Last year, police gave out 4,967 tickets for that violation, and 4,359 in 2012.

What'd they do? Stop ticketing the illegals?

On the contrary, they're cracking down on them.

guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Fri May 23, 2014 8:36 pm

Getting back to BB's draft choices, and taking Dominique Easley, he of the two torn ACL's, at No. 29:

"The way the board ended up, we felt very good about Dominique being available at 29," said coach Bill Belichick said. "He’s been a very good player in a real good program. They’re well-coached down there with Coach [Will] Muschamp. You can see him playing against a lot of good players in that conference. I thought Dominque played very well.
"He’s a versatile guy that’s played different positions along the defensive line. So we’ll just see how it all comes together here, but I’m glad he was able to last that long. I’m looking forward to having him."
If they'd traded down, the Patriots could have acquired assets for later in the draft while still being able to scoop up one of the aforementioned defensive tackles. But they stayed at 29, Belichick said, because they believed Easley was the best player available.
"I mean, there are always conversations" about trades, Belichick said. "But we felt good about Dominique and there were a couple teams behind us that . . . we just didn’t want to take a chance on him [being gone]."
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by guppy Fri May 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Further, as to the two torn ACL's: 

The New England Patriots’ medical and training staff better be paid time and a half this offseason. Bill Belichick once again is ahead of the curve in finding devalued bargains in the NFL draft and free agency, and the Patriots coach’s latest attempt has him signing and drafting players with knee injuries once deemed catastrophic. This offseason, Belichick hasn’t seen a torn ACL he doesn’t like.

On Thursday, Belichick flicked away any concerns that Dominique Easley’s right knee injury will hold him back. “We’re confident that he’ll be able to return from the injury like almost everybody who’s had an ACL has, so I don’t think it’s the type of injury that isn’t pretty common in our league,” Belichick said during an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio. “He’s working hard to rehab, and hopefully he’ll be OK. I think when he is, we feel like we got good value for that pick.”

If all goes as planned, Easley will be a monster steal at No. 29 overall in the first round. Without one torn ACL, he likely would have been a top-15 pick. Without the second torn ACL, he might have gone in the top five as the best available defensive tackle in the draft. There’s reason to believe Belichick’s lack of concern over Easley’s knee injury is wise. Easley already returned from one torn ACL and dominated in the SEC, and Belichick has seen players such as Tom Brady, Wes Welker and Logan Mankins come back from knee injuries and regain their previous form in mere months.

The 2014 Patriots season could destroy any preconceived notions about ACL tears. Tight end Rob Gronkowski, defensive end Will Smith, defensive tackle Tommy Kelly and linebacker Darius Fleming all suffered torn ACLs in 2013. The Patriots also have shown interest in tight end Dustin Keller, who blew out his knee last summer. Belichick’s method in finding undervalued players either will make him look like a genius or a dunce, especially given the Patriots’ lack of depth at tight end and the defensive line.

When the Patriots constantly are drafting near the bottom of the first round, however, some calculated risks need to be taken. “When you’re picking 29th, you kind of don’t know who’s going to be there until you get into the low to mid-20s,” Belichick said. “We tried to stick to the value on our board. Dominique, when we’ve seen him play, he’s been a productive player for Florida since his freshman year. He can be a very disruptive player. An impact player. His grade on our board reflected that.”
guppy
guppy
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next