Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Odds on favorite at 1-17; other tidbits

Go down

Odds on favorite at 1-17; other tidbits Empty Odds on favorite at 1-17; other tidbits

Post by RLON39 Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:30 pm

LG Jonathan Cooper is presently my odds on favorite to go to the Steelers at 1-17. OG Warmack and WR Patterson are likely to go earlier, though Patterson could conceivably last to us if Miami signs Mike Wallace for a stupid 11 million dollar a year contract. Jarvis Jones has, or may have, spinal stenosis, but I just can't see the first 16 teams passing on his talent if they watched the tape I watched. The same can be said for Warmack, who should go to the Jets at 1-9. The Jets would have to be fools not to take Warmack. Problem is, the Jets have been well known fools since Superbowl III.

Cooper is the perfect replacement for Colon and Foster at LG. Neither of those veterans will fit the new scheme. Cooper came in a little short, at just over 6'2", as a slight eclipse of 6'3" would have been preferable. At any rate, I just looked over all the interviews that have been scheduled or done per team thus far. Many teams have interviewed multiple players. The Steelers have interviewed one...Mr. Cooper. Furthermore, the only team that has scheduled Cooper thus far is the Steelers, despite the fact that most teams listed several names as being interviewed already. In short, there is interest, and Cooper is likely the target, if all goes as expected, at 1-17. He is tremendously athletically and perfect for the new blocking scheme. Having Willie Colon as your primary movement guard (LG) within a zone blocking scheme is an impossibility.

The 1-17 dead on/equivalent values present as LG Cooper and S Vaccarro, as neither would be a reach or a fall. LT Lane Johnson is a wildcard, but the third of three legitimate NFL LTs in this draft would seem to be likely to go in the top 15. I don't know who reminds scouts more of Joe Staley, Fisher or Johnson, but the comparison will only help both of their stock.

Te'o is also arguably a +/- 0 1-17 prospect, but he seems likely to fall...just hope it's not to the Ravens. Pray for Jarvis Jones, Chance Warmack, or Cordella Patterson to be available at 1-17 (all three would be stud Steelers and perfect for the schemes that Pittsburgh runs). At worst, the Steelers could end up with LG Cooper, S Vaccaro, or ILB Te'o. The Steelers need to avoid the temptation of drafting a 3-4 defensive lineman before the mid-rounds. They have three young NT capable guys on their roster, which will be a very good competition to have in place. At DE, if the 6'8" Hunt falls to the fourth round, they should consider him, but he looked bad at the Senior Bowl. They need to cut Kiesel, because the savings is immediate and Heyward needs to see the field more, but that is unlikely to occur before the draft. If Ta'amu isn't sent to prison, and comes around to meet his potential, I view him as Hampton's replacement and would strongly consider moving McLendon next to him as a DE, with Heyward handling the other side. Hood can be sent packing because he never should have been drafted to be a 3-4 DE.

My cuts are a bit different than expectations (not all are based on money, mind you, as the restructures are what will really create space):

1. DE Kiesel - Allow him back if he is willing to take the vet minimum.

2. DE Hood - Release predicated on Kiesel taking a pay cut and McLendon moving to DE.

3. OG Colon - Release predicated on the fact that he is not a zone blocking LG and never will be. Time to swallow this awful contract.

4. OLB Woodley - I hope they never make the mistake with Hood that they made with Woodley and Colon, who have never been in good shape in their careers. Hood stays in shape (he's a workout warrior), but to sign him to a significant contract, when he doesn't fit the schematic, is unwise. OLB Robinson is the next Harrison, if there is such a potential thing...LeBeau just was talking about his exciting potential. Harrison needs to be kept here because he has a couple years left and brings much more to the table than LaMarr. OLB will likely be drafted in the first 4 rounds, with the 4th being a little late barring a slide of a very skilled rusher. Colbert says that the Steelers are not a team in transition...the goals is to win the SB, which will rely on improving the running game and getting a return to form from your two best defenders, Harrison and Polamalu.

5. P Butler - Horrible...needs to go. Easy upgrade....draft Wing in the 6th.

RLON39
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down