Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*Brandon Carr

2 posters

Go down

*Brandon Carr Empty *Brandon Carr

Post by Niss Tue May 08, 2012 6:52 pm

<p>IRVING, Texas - When Brandon Carr signed with the Cowboys back in early March, he was obviously excited about his new team, new opportunity and that $50 million new contract didn't hurt either.
<p>But he admitted he didn't know what to expect about the upcoming months, the offseason and especially the 2012 season.
<p>Needless to say, Carr was rather shocked to see his new team trade up eight spots in the draft to snag Morris Claiborne, an LSU corner who figures to be a long-term partner with Carr.
<p>"Yeah, I didn't see that one coming at all," said Carr, who was at the team's public draft party at Cowboys Stadium. "But you just never know what's going to happen. I'm excited about him being here."
<p>It does seem like the Cowboys are somewhat crowded at cornerback, the team also suiting up Orlando Scandrick and Mike Jenkins, a first-round pick in 2008. Scandrick just signed a five-year, $27 million deal last August while Jenkins has one more year on his original contract.
<p>However it shakes out, Carr said an abundance of corners is never a bad thing.
<p>"You can't ever have enough ... especially now how the league has transformed into a more pass-happy league," Carr said. "So the more good corners you have on the team, or on the field, the merrier. Just from watching his film and seeing what he did in college, hopefully that will translate into the NFL. He has a huge upside."
<p>Carr was at Valley Ranch over the weekend, but obviously didn't get the chance to check out Claiborne during the team's three-day rookie minicamp. Claiborne is out for at least another month after undergoing wrist surgery in March. The rookie corner is expected to be ready for training camp.
<p>And having that injury healed is important for Claiborne, who like Carr is a big, physical corner who needs full strength in his hands at the line of scrimmage.
<p>"Yeah, he's a big corner that can get up there and challenge receivers," Carr said of Claiborne. "That's what you ask for in your cornerbacks nowadays with the big, fast, physical receivers. He doesn't shy away from a challenge and he's a ball-hawk. As I see it, he's pretty much a complete corner at the collegiate level."
<p>With a contract that includes about $26 million guaranteed, Carr doesn't and shouldn't feel threatened by Claiborne's arrival. Obviously he can't speak for Jenkins or Scandrick, but Carr says to play cornerback in the first place, there has to be a competitive edge. That being said, he expects there to be plenty of challenges in the offseason and training camp.
<p>"It's good competition though," states Carr, who said he's only briefly met with Jenkins. "All that competition does is make everyone else elevate their game. Nobody wants to be the weak link. Everybody pushes each other to get to that next level and that's all you can ask for."
<p>While Carr has yet to even practice with the Cowboys officially, it hasn't stopped him from getting acclimated with both the team and his new city.
<p>Getting out in the community seems to be a big priority for Carr, who has already been involved in a program where he led a public workout class for charity. Along with current teammates Jason Witten and DeMarco Murray, and former Cowboys' great Darren Woodson, Carr ran two scheduled events for the fans with all the proceeds going to the United Way to help fund NFL Play60.
<p>As Carr explained, that is only the beginning in what he said will be healthy and eventful relationship with the Dallas community and surrounding areas.
<p>"I'm feeling good about what I've done and how the community has accepted me so far," Carr said. "I'm all about giving back and showing the people who have supported me on Sunday that I also support them and I appreciate everything they do for me. That's a priority of mine. I like to get into the community and just meet new people and let them help me get acclimated to this new environment with me in Dallas. So far, everything is good."
<p>Carr has officially moved from Kansas City, where he spent the first four years of his career and claims to be officially settled in. Now, there's only one thing left for him to do.
<p>"I'm moved, I'm ready and set. I'm ready for OTAs to start," Carr said. "Now I can't wait to mix it up with these boys."
<p>Carr will get that chance at the end of this month when the Cowboys begin four weeks of OTA practices, followed by a minicamp in June.
"This is an important time for us as team, especially me being the 'new guy,'" Carr said. "Yeah, I've talked to the coaches because they're in and out of the weight room. But basically this time is getting to know my teammates and getting a feel for how they play, and their mentality. I can't wait to start."
Niss
Niss

Back to top Go down

*Brandon Carr Empty Re: *Brandon Carr

Post by KeithUCF Tue May 08, 2012 10:09 pm

It seems pretty obvious that Carr and Claiborne will be the starting CB's on this team starting next season. Seeing as how there was little interest in Jenkins when they tried to trade him, I think the smart thing to do right now is to hold onto him for the time being. He's still a quality CB and seeing as how he is in the final year of his contract he knows he has something to prove if he wants to get another big contract. If Jenkins plays well enough at the start of the year, perhaps the Cowboys could then consider moving him at the trade deadline for a draft pick. Otherwise, let him play out the remainder of the season and at least the Cowboys will have 3 good CB's this year which will upgrade a big weakness from last year.
KeithUCF
KeithUCF
Undrafted
Undrafted

Back to top Go down