Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doing Business, NFL Style

2 posters

Go down

Doing Business, NFL Style Empty Doing Business, NFL Style

Post by LRJets Fri May 04, 2012 7:42 am

The actions of the NFL will probably take the Saints out of the picture this year.

The talking heads are saying the Saints (Benson) should give Brees his long-term contract even just to shed some good PR on the Saints after their horrific off season.

I read yesterday, Brees would get $16 mill this season as the franchise player, and the next two years he'd receive $21 mill and then $28 mill. That would be over $60 mill for three years without management being obligated to a long term contract therefore making it more prudent for them NOT to give him a contract. (This is the part I don't understand vis a' vis franchise tagging.)

I guess old man Benson, who just paid a few hundred million for an NBA franchise knows what he's doing.
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Doing Business, NFL Style Empty Re: Doing Business, NFL Style

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2012 9:02 am

Having lots of $$ doesn't mean they always make good decisions..

Lurie signed Bad Newz to a $100 million + contract.

Obviously, he (Lurie) made his money somewhere other than making sound football decisions!!

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Fri May 04, 2012 9:30 am

You could say that about Dan Snyder, Al Davis in his later years, and many others. To some, an NFL team is their toy.

Some of these owners didn't have the money just come to them, they had to be born into it.Laughing
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RickC Fri May 04, 2012 12:28 pm

LRJets wrote:The actions of the NFL will probably take the Saints out of the picture this year.

The talking heads are saying the Saints (Benson) should give Brees his long-term contract even just to shed some good PR on the Saints after their horrific off season.

I read yesterday, Brees would get $16 mill this season as the franchise player, and the next two years he'd receive $21 mill and then $28 mill. That would be over $60 mill for three years without management being obligated to a long term contract therefore making it more prudent for them NOT to give him a contract. (This is the part I don't understand vis a' vis franchise tagging.)

I guess old man Benson, who just paid a few hundred million for an NBA franchise knows what he's doing.

Franchise tag guarantees a player the average of the top 5 players at his position or a 20% increase from the previous year, whichever is higher. Technically a team can franchise the same player over and over but it's not necessarily a good move as it tends to alienate the player. Brees will get a bunch of dough under that scenario but if he were to have a career ending injury in the first game of next season the Saints owe him only for next year. The player obvoiusly wants some money guaranteed.

Last edited by RickC on Fri May 04, 2012 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : didn't finish)
RickC
RickC

Back to top Go down

Post by LRJets Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 pm

Franchise tag guarantees a player the average of the top 5 players at his position or a 20% increase from the previous year, whichever is higher. Technically a team can franchise the same player over and over but it's not necessarily a good move as it tends to alienate the player. Brees will get a bunch of dough under that scenario but if he were to have a career ending injury in the first game of next season the Saints owe him only for next year. The player obvoiusly wants some money guaranteed.

Rick, subsequent to my post, I read about the intricacies of the above and it favors the Saints. (If Brees cooperates or has no choice).
LRJets
LRJets
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down