Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hmmm... all defense so far

4 posters

Go down

Hmmm... all defense so far Empty Hmmm... all defense so far

Post by duck Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:06 pm

All we've ever heard about TT's drafting philosophy is that it's based on BAP principles. I'm wondering if the 2012 draft represents a departure from that. The 4th round just ended and every player he's drafted so far fills a need in our decimated defense. No offensive players were the "best available"??

I realize that a common successful drafting strategy now is a combination of drafting for need in adherence with BAP principles in which you target players of need but don't go after them until their value matches the draft number. Our two #2 picks seem to be a result of this. TT had these guys targeted but didn't reach for them early; instead he waited until his estimated value matched the draft position... and then he traded up for them.

However, five out of five picks so far are for defense.

I'm not complaining, really. Our defense sucked last year and probably cost the Packers another Lombardi trophy. The decision to cut Jenkins and gamble on Neal was a catastrophic blunder by TT. I just hope he isn't now overreacting too much. At any rate, if our defense can again provide the kind of pressure Capers needs to use his various schemes, the Pack is going to be much improved in 2012.

We'll see...
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Hmmm... all defense so far Empty Re: Hmmm... all defense so far

Post by RingoCStarrQB Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Maybe ALL of these fellas can really play. No Harrell's, D' Onofrios, Buckley's...........Neal's, Anyone who wore #96 besides Sean Jones (Montgomery..........who else?). We need a big time pressure defense to give the Rodgers led offense some cushion week in and week out. If not...........as stated earlier this week..........we could be looking at a 9-7 season. Let's give BJ and Pickett some help up there..........
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:19 pm

duck wrote:All we've ever heard about TT's drafting philosophy is that it's based on BAP principles. I'm wondering if the 2012 draft represents a departure from that. The 4th round just ended and every player he's drafted so far fills a need in our decimated defense. No offensive players were the "best available"??

I realize that a common successful drafting strategy now is a combination of drafting for need in adherence with BAP principles in which you target players of need but don't go after them until their value matches the draft number. Our two #2 picks seem to be a result of this. TT had these guys targeted but didn't reach for them early; instead he waited until his estimated value matched the draft position... and then he traded up for them.

However, five out of five picks so far are for defense.

I'm not complaining, really. Our defense sucked last year and probably cost the Packers another Lombardi trophy. The decision to cut Jenkins and gamble on Neal was a catastrophic blunder by TT. I just hope he isn't now overreacting too much. At any rate, if our defense can again provide the kind of pressure Capers needs to use his various schemes, the Pack is going to be much improved in 2012.

We'll see...

Drafting the *best available player* is primarily in reality a farce. All GM's say they do it...and it's easy to say/do when you have no glaring holes in your roster crying out to be filled...but on a practical level--BAP means best available player in your position of need... Wink

Ron Wolf originated the term/idea... It sounded good...but what did the great one himself do in the draft immediately following Randy dropping his drawers and flashing ass in the hallowed ground of Lambeau Field? That's right. In rounds 1, 2 AND 3...the BAP just happened to be a CB. Imagine that. How fortuitous... Wink

By his selections TT has obviously finally figured out (a season too late) that what he fielded on D last year was crap. Perhaps now even those the like of JnC will have figured it out...or maybe not... He sure seemed content last season to stick his fingers in his ears and flog the shit out of the bishop over the team's perfect record--while some of us as early as a third of the way into the season were sounding the alarm for what was so obviously awaiting the team in the playoffs given that D...

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:32 pm

Well HD, I think you're right... most of the BAP talk by GMs is just lip service. However, as I mentioned earlier, there is a hybrid variation that does separate the intelligent drafters from the total morons. The morons simply reach at any time for players they need and often forfeit value by doing so. The good drafters wait until the players they target truly are the best available on the board and bag them then... or in some cases if they feel the value of the player they're after exceeds the present value of the draft order, they will make a play to trade up and get him.

Drafting for need is perfectly reasonable as long as you don't reach and the player selected is appropriate for the round.

I know we've covered this many times before but it still stands out as a classic example of how NOT to draft: the dumb ass move Sherman did for punter B.J. Sander. In the second round he not only drafted a player who almost surely would have been available in the 6th or 7th round... but he additionally gave up extra draft picks to get him!
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:41 pm

Oh, and even though I freely admit I'm not a draftnik, I have a good feeling about the Packers 2012 draft. The top picks seem like they were well targeted and aggressively sought. TT doesn't often trade up but when he does, the results are usually positive. (Clay Matthews, anyone?) We've filled a lot of holes in our defense and even have multiple prospects in some spots. There's also discussion that if the CB works out, Woodson could be moved to safety thus fulling two holes.

Looks like TT added some projects with raw talent for the offense too, an OT and a back up QB. I've always loved the idea of picking up a QB project in the late rounds... and the Packers have historically been very successful doing so.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by WMBD Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:34 pm

I am rather heartened by an all-defense draft. Both Perry and Worthy have that explosive first step that is going to alter the QB's decision abruptly. That Capers had comments on almost all the players shows he had significant input in the process this year. TT is great at evaluating well most positions, but DL is not one of them. It's going to be very interesting to see how Perry is going to be utilized.

WMBD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:50 pm

duck wrote:Well HD, I think you're right... most of the BAP talk by GMs is just lip service. However, as I mentioned earlier, there is a hybrid variation that does separate the intelligent drafters from the total morons. The morons simply reach at any time for players they need and often forfeit value by doing so. The good drafters wait until the players they target truly are the best available on the board and bag them then... or in some cases if they feel the value of the player they're after exceeds the present value of the draft order, they will make a play to trade up and get him.

Drafting for need is perfectly reasonable as long as you don't reach and the player selected is appropriate for the round.

I know we've covered this many times before but it still stands out as a classic example of how NOT to draft: the dumb ass move Sherman did for punter B.J. Sander. In the second round he not only drafted a player who almost surely would have been available in the 6th or 7th round... but he additionally gave up extra draft picks to get him!

That's most of it, Duck...but there's another element that is crucial--and actually corresponds to the only instance obvious at this point where TT probably blew it in this draft...and that is--the Safety from Maine...McMillian... One can never be reminded enough--it's the fucking market that determines value--NOT ANYTHING ELSE... Wink

Now--let me be clear--I don't know enough about this dude to say with any certainty that he has/has not 4th round talent--but that's not the point--and clearly--TT felt he found a diamond in the rough here... However, regardless of what this dude turns out to be, one can be fairly certain in suggesting that, coming from Maine and being not only the only player drafted from that team--but the only player drafted from a New England college--he would have been available to land in the later rounds of the draft. There was no market for this player in the fourth round--so he necessarily therefore overspent in committing a 4th rounder to get him... The price he paid was the opportunity cost of whatever other 4th round player he could have gotten at the time who, unlike McMillian, would not have been expected to be available in the 6th/7th rounds...

So yes--you have to play your board--but the truly astute do so within the macro context of the market. That's the beauty after all in having a nose for rough diamonds... You don't need to dig them up right away and hurry to lock them up--because it's very unlikely someone else is just going to come skipping along and snatch them from underneath your nose... Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:10 pm

I would have to agree with you, HD. On the surface it appears TT reached for this guy because it does appear he would have been available in a later round.

The only legitimate reason I could see for drafting this guy so high is if TT had reason to believe another team was about to pounce on him and TT had him valued so high above even a 4th round value that he did not want to squander this opportunity to make what in his mind would be a steal. Again, just speculation on my part. It does appear TT could have picked up another player AND bagged McMillan in a later round.

In fairness though, if you look at the entire draft, only McMillan appears to be a reach. In the case of all the higher round picks their rated "value" by many draft prognosticators was well within range (usually higher) than their draft number. This principle does not really apply to the 7th round compensatory picks, however, because that's when you roll the dice and try to pick up a project or two.

What do you think of the draft OVERALL? I'm happy with it. I believe our defense is going to be significantly improved and even an average defense coupled with the potent Packer offense is going to assure that the 2012 Packers will be contenders.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:33 pm

duck wrote:I would have to agree with you, HD. On the surface it appears TT reached for this guy because it does appear he would have been available in a later round.

The only legitimate reason I could see for drafting this guy so high is if TT had reason to believe another team was about to pounce on him and TT had him valued so high above even a 4th round value that he did not want to squander this opportunity to make what in his mind would be a steal. Again, just speculation on my part. It does appear TT could have picked up another player AND bagged McMillan in a later round.

In fairness though, if you look at the entire draft, only McMillan appears to be a reach. In the case of all the higher round picks their rated "value" by many draft prognosticators was well within range (usually higher) than their draft number. This principle does not really apply to the 7th round compensatory picks, however, because that's when you roll the dice and try to pick up a project or two.

What do you think of the draft OVERALL? I'm happy with it. I believe our defense is going to be significantly improved and even an average defense coupled with the potent Packer offense is going to assure that the 2012 Packers will be contenders.

I like. The rear view mirror will shine the truth--but at this point it looks like a great draft--both in form and function with respect that the man clearly was on a mission--and, after all the picks are in one can say, mission accomplished, eh? Hope so... This team really needs 2 starters on D from this draft... Not wants---NEEDS... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by MB20 Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:06 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:Well HD, I think you're right... most of the BAP talk by GMs is just lip service. However, as I mentioned earlier, there is a hybrid variation that does separate the intelligent drafters from the total morons. The morons simply reach at any time for players they need and often forfeit value by doing so. The good drafters wait until the players they target truly are the best available on the board and bag them then... or in some cases if they feel the value of the player they're after exceeds the present value of the draft order, they will make a play to trade up and get him.

That's most of it, Duck...but there's another element that is crucial--and actually corresponds to the only instance obvious at this point where TT probably blew it in this draft...and that is--the Safety from Maine...McMillian... One can never be reminded enough--it's the fucking market that determines value--NOT ANYTHING ELSE... Wink

Now--let me be clear--I don't know enough about this dude to say with any certainty that he has/has not 4th round talent--but that's not the point--and clearly--TT felt he found a diamond in the rough here... However, regardless of what this dude turns out to be, one can be fairly certain in suggesting that, coming from Maine and being not only the only player drafted from that team--but the only player drafted from a New England college--he would have been available to land in the later rounds of the draft. There was no market for this player in the fourth round--so he necessarily therefore overspent in committing a 4th rounder to get him... The price he paid was the opportunity cost of whatever other 4th round player he could have gotten at the time who, unlike McMillian, would not have been expected to be available in the 6th/7th rounds...

So yes--you have to play your board--but the truly astute do so within the macro context of the market. That's the beauty after all in having a nose for rough diamonds... You don't need to dig them up right away and hurry to lock them up--because it's very unlikely someone else is just going to come skipping along and snatch them from underneath your nose... Cool

I find these things to be true. However, if this is the biggest complaint we end up having with this draft, then that ain't bad.

MB20
7th Round Pick
7th Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 01, 2012 12:29 pm

MB20 wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

I find these things to be true. However, if this is the biggest complaint we end up having with this draft, then that ain't bad.

Yup...

This is pure speculation on my part, but after observing TT's draft--I have a strong suspician that the player he really wanted in the first round (probably Merceles or McClellen) was already gone by the time 28 came around. He sat there all day watching noted down tradesman, Belichick, repeatedly trading up to get his man the first day--and he solemnly went home with his dick in his hand and woke up for Day 2 loaded for fucking bear. But you see--TT is not an experienced bear hunter...and those unused to holding a gun in their hand often get caught up in it and overshoot--bagging anything causing a stir in the woods nearby. TT may have seen bear, but in the fourth round anyway--McMillian was just one unfucking lucky bad-ass raccoon who will hopefully not prove to be so overshot that it can't become a fine 'coon-skin cap for TT on his next fucking tour of the Davey Crockett homestead or something... (one of his favorites--no doubt) Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Tue May 01, 2012 8:29 pm

McKenzie, Antaun Edwards..........and Who was that other guy.......oh no it was Fred Vinson? At least just picking one in the 4th lessens the probability of a trifecta. But then again............2 defensive linemen...........and a DE wearing #53 (another Fred Carr at least pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase). Is any one wearing #96?.......Oh no..........its Mike Neal. This draft was simply a kneejerk reaction to giving up on Nick Barnett and inflated hopes for Zombo and Walden. CJ Wilson...........Neal..............Green............Wynn. Poweeeee!!
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 01, 2012 9:02 pm

RingoCStarrQB wrote:McKenzie, Antaun Edwards..........and Who was that other guy.......oh no it was Fred Vinson? At least just picking one in the 4th lessens the probability of a trifecta. But then again............2 defensive linemen...........and a DE wearing #53 (another Fred Carr at least pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase). Is any one wearing #96?.......Oh no..........its Mike Neal. This draft was simply a kneejerk reaction to giving up on Nick Barnett and inflated hopes for Zombo and Walden. CJ Wilson...........Neal..............Green............Wynn. Poweeeee!!

WTF do you have against Fred Vinson? That was probably the best pick Ron Wolf ever made in GB--right up there with Art Shell and Howie Long whom he took when he was GM in Oakland. That was who he traded to Seattle even up for Ahman Green--the best tailback ever in the long/storied tradition of the GB Packers... Wink

Big picture, Ringo... Keep working on it my friend... Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Aw c'mon HD..........you know damn well Ahman Green's legacy is based more on the fumbles than the all-time Packers rushing yard leader. I'll concede only that at least the guy was a running back. The big picture did not equate to a NFL title.

I still think our last great RB was John Brockington. Let's hope our James "Buffaloed in Titletown" Starks has a break out and injury free year. I have no confidence in Green or Grant anymore. Saine.........maybe Saine will step up.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Us usual, Ringo...your conclusions are as baked as the cerebral matter that produced them... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed May 02, 2012 11:37 pm

This is pure speculation on my part, but after observing TT's draft--I have a strong suspician that the player he really wanted in the first round (probably Merceles or McClellen) was already gone by the time 28 came around. He sat there all day watching noted down tradesman, Belichick, repeatedly trading up to get his man the first day--and he solemnly went home with his dick in his hand and woke up for Day 2 loaded for fucking bear. But you see--TT is not an experienced bear hunter...and those unused to holding a gun in their hand often get caught up in it and overshoot--bagging anything causing a stir in the woods nearby. TT may have seen bear, but in the fourth round anyway--McMillian was just one unfucking lucky bad-ass raccoon who will hopefully not prove to be so overshot that it can't become a fine 'coon-skin cap for TT on his next fucking tour of the Davey Crockett homestead or something... (one of his favorites--no doubt)

Well, HD, we'll never know because the last thing in the world TT would ever do is deflate Perry's ego by admitting he really wanted someone else. Everything I've heard, however, is that Perry indeed was a player Green Bay had targeted.

It was definitely a weird draft for TT. In ALL of his previous drafts with Green Bay he only traded up three times and yet he did so three times this year. Part of it of course is that 12 picks, mostly late round, don't do much good to a contending team with a good core; instead that's something he would have relished back in 2005 and 2006 when he was trying to restock Sherman's bare cupboard. However, this still represents a marked departure from his regular M.O.

Coupled with his unusual participation in free agency, it provides a welcome departure from what we had feared was a systemic inflexibility. For whatever reason (perhaps a kick in the ass from above), TT is playing the game differently this year.

My take is that he's exhibiting all the characteristics of the GM of a team who believes its "window of opportunity" is NOW. Why he didn't take this approach last year is beyond me because 2011 was also in that window. At least I'm glad he finally figured it out.

Getting back to your point, I don't get the feeling this was a draft in which TT got mule kicked in the first round and then spent the next day on tilt, trading up willy-nilly and then making a reach in the 4th round. My sense is that this could end up being a particularly timely and fruitful draft for the Packers -- and that TT was very much in charge from the get go.

duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed May 02, 2012 11:47 pm

McKenzie, Antaun Edwards..........and Who was that other guy.......oh no it was Fred Vinson? At least just picking one in the 4th lessens the probability of a trifecta. But then again............2 defensive linemen...........and a DE wearing #53 (another Fred Carr at least pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase). Is any one wearing #96?.......Oh no..........its Mike Neal. This draft was simply a kneejerk reaction to giving up on Nick Barnett and inflated hopes for Zombo and Walden. CJ Wilson...........Neal..............Green............Wynn. Poweeeee!!

Ringo, you of all people should be thrilled with this draft. You finally got the defensive players you wanted and now you're bitching.

And TT didn't "give up" on Barnett... he let him go because he felt on a cost/benefit basis he could achieve a better overall roster with other linebackers at a cheaper price.

You do know that with the salary cap, you can't have it all. Had he resigned Barnett he may not have had enough money to resign some core players or acquire some good new young ones.

Granted, some of these guys, like Neal, were horrendous busts, but I think TT was just playing the odds letting an older high priced player like Barnett go.

duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed May 02, 2012 11:50 pm

Us usual, Ringo...your conclusions are as baked as the cerebral matter that produced them...

Watch it, HD. I'm kinda sensitive to aspersions cast on baked cerebral matter. affraid
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 10:58 am

duck wrote:
This is pure speculation on my part, but after observing TT's draft--I have a strong suspician that the player he really wanted in the first round (probably Merceles or McClellen) was already gone by the time 28 came around. He sat there all day watching noted down tradesman, Belichick, repeatedly trading up to get his man the first day--and he solemnly went home with his dick in his hand and woke up for Day 2 loaded for fucking bear. But you see--TT is not an experienced bear hunter...and those unused to holding a gun in their hand often get caught up in it and overshoot--bagging anything causing a stir in the woods nearby. TT may have seen bear, but in the fourth round anyway--McMillian was just one unfucking lucky bad-ass raccoon who will hopefully not prove to be so overshot that it can't become a fine 'coon-skin cap for TT on his next fucking tour of the Davey Crockett homestead or something... (one of his favorites--no doubt)

Well, HD, we'll never know because the last thing in the world TT would ever do is deflate Perry's ego by admitting he really wanted someone else. Everything I've heard, however, is that Perry indeed was a player Green Bay had targeted.

It was definitely a weird draft for TT. In ALL of his previous drafts with Green Bay he only traded up three times and yet he did so three times this year. Part of it of course is that 12 picks, mostly late round, don't do much good to a contending team with a good core; instead that's something he would have relished back in 2005 and 2006 when he was trying to restock Sherman's bare cupboard. However, this still represents a marked departure from his regular M.O.

Coupled with his unusual participation in free agency, it provides a welcome departure from what we had feared was a systemic inflexibility. For whatever reason (perhaps a kick in the ass from above), TT is playing the game differently this year.

My take is that he's exhibiting all the characteristics of the GM of a team who believes its "window of opportunity" is NOW. Why he didn't take this approach last year is beyond me because 2011 was also in that window. At least I'm glad he finally figured it out.

Getting back to your point, I don't get the feeling this was a draft in which TT got mule kicked in the first round and then spent the next day on tilt, trading up willy-nilly and then making a reach in the 4th round. My sense is that this could end up being a particularly timely and fruitful draft for the Packers -- and that TT was very much in charge from the get go.

I didn't say anything about TT *going on tilt* or trading up *willy nilly* the second day, Duck... What I was suggesting was that TT operated that day in conflict with a long-standing trend. He admitted himself that what he did was out of character--and seemed puzzled by his behavior--even ashamed--as he stated, * I'm no longer my father's son*

These things don't just happen, Duck... There is almost always something that precipitates them...and often when one witnesses someone else they admire (Belichick) doing something they perceive out of character--it unshackles them to also feel free to step off the carousel and venture off in a different direction than just 'round and 'round and 'round on the same old ground, eh?... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Thu May 03, 2012 12:05 pm

What I was suggesting was that TT operated that day in conflict with a long-standing trend. He admitted himself that what he did was out of character--and seemed puzzled by his behavior--even ashamed--as he stated, * I'm no longer my father's son*

We're in complete agreement here; in fact I noted the very same thing. The only difference between us is that you suspect TT's departure from his usual mode may be due to another team (the Patriots perhaps) beating him to one of his top choices, while I think he went into this draft with the intention of packaging his later round picks to trade up if certain players were available at certain points in the second round.

I guess we'll never know, eh?
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Thu May 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Are you sure about that HD? You should have been there with me in Minneapolis. Found a great venue for a Monday night.........went downhill after that night though. Never made it over to Mad Dogs liquor store. Maybe next time.
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 9:52 pm

RingoCStarrQB wrote:Are you sure about that HD? You should have been there with me in Minneapolis. Found a great venue for a Monday night.........went downhill after that night though. Never made it over to Mad Dogs liquor store. Maybe next time.

So where did you hit?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down