Profootballworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time for Duck to cheer!

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Time for Duck to cheer! Empty Time for Duck to cheer!

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Randall Cobb to balance punt return duties again this year
Posted by Darin Gantt on September 2, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
AP

The Packers would love to not have to use[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on punt returns.
But they haven’t found anyone better to do it.
According to Weston Hodkiewicz of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, special teams coach Shawn Slocum said Cobb and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are the options, and Cobb’s [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Before becoming an offensive star in 2012, Cobb was a solid return man, averaging 25.0 yards per kickoff and 9.9 yards per punt with two touchdowns. He only caught one punt for no gain in the preseason for no gain.
While it’s certainly a risk to put a player — especially a player in a contract year — on special teams, the Packers don’t seem to have a problem.
Coach Mike McCarthy said earlier this year they had to “get away from that thinking” that they can’t use their best players on returns.
See Duck?  This is what I mean.  For someone so afraid of injuries--this is mindlessly moronic to expose the best all-'round weapon Rodgers has to a special teams injury...but you think it's a great idea, right?

Back to top Go down

Time for Duck to cheer! Empty Re: Time for Duck to cheer!

Post by duck Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:18 pm

Okay, the truth is I do NOT like this move. I'm perfectly comfortable with Micah Hyde back there and I'm intrigued with the possibility of seeing Janis as a kick returner. He's the guy I think has the most potential and conversely the least value to the team otherwise since he's so raw.

Maybe MM figures he'll try Cobb Thursday night to see if we can get an extra spark against Seattle. I really don't know what his reasoning is... but I would be surprised if Cobb stays on kick return duty the entire year.

Having said that, it's not that unusual to see a starting WR or DB as a returner... in fact it's quite common. Heck, Holmgren used to do it with Freeman and Sherman did it with Schroeder.

Given your desire to see our team practice more aggressively, I'm surprised you don't think Cobb should be doing it in practice in a full pads drill. Very Happy
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:22 pm

duck wrote:Okay, the truth is I do NOT like this move.  I'm perfectly comfortable with Micah Hyde back there and I'm intrigued with the possibility of seeing Janis as a kick returner.  He's the guy I think has the most potential and conversely the least value to the team otherwise since he's so raw.

Maybe MM figures he'll try Cobb Thursday night to see if we can get an extra spark against Seattle.  I really don't know what his reasoning is... but I would be surprised if Cobb stays on kick return duty the entire year.

Having said that, it's not that unusual to see a starting WR or DB as a returner... in fact it's quite common.  Heck, Holmgren used to do it with Freeman and Sherman did it with Schroeder.

Given your desire to see our team practice more aggressively, I'm surprised you don't think Cobb should be doing it in practice in a full pads drill.  Very Happy

Many years ago my father taught me that people who lead off with qualifiers about the truth like this--have either been lying to you or are getting ready to lie to you.  Which one is it in this case, Duck?   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:31 pm

duck wrote:Given your desire to see our team practice more aggressively, I'm surprised you don't think Cobb should be doing it in practice in a full pads drill.  Very Happy

You make a joke of it because you don't like the move either, but it's a valid point.

You can't have your cake and eat it too just to suit your argument. It's too much like a fucking bicyclist's "right of way" mindset that I was bitching about earlier.

As to the specifics of having Cobb back there...I'd rather he wasn't as I'm sure the Packers feel also. They did not draft Abbrederis for his prowess at WR; it was that he could take the job of PR on Day One. But it was not to be (this year, anyway). As for Cobb, let's face facts. He ain't Jerry fucking Rice; he can and should return punts if the situation calls for it and right now, he is the best option. Hyde is a second-year man learning a brand new position this season. He has what, 9 actual games of NFL experience under his belt? With Cobb you have reliability AND a genuine home-run threat. A potential game breaker.

Should we forbid him to ever run the ball out of the backfield too?  Rolling Eyes
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:47 pm

JnC4GB wrote:
duck wrote:Given your desire to see our team practice more aggressively, I'm surprised you don't think Cobb should be doing it in practice in a full pads drill.  Very Happy

You make a joke of it because you don't like the move either, but it's a valid point.

You can't have your cake and eat it too just to suit your argument. It's too much like a fucking bicyclist's "right of way" mindset that I was bitching about earlier.

As to the specifics of having Cobb back there...I'd rather he wasn't as I'm sure the Packers feel also. They did not draft Abbrederis for his prowess at WR; it was that he could take the job of PR on Day One. But it was not to be (this year, anyway). As for Cobb, let's face facts. He ain't Jerry fucking Rice; he can and should return punts if the situation calls for it and right now, he is the best option. Hyde is a second-year man learning a brand new position this season. He has what, 9 actual games of NFL experience under his belt? With Cobb you have reliability AND a genuine home-run threat. A potential game breaker.

Should we forbid him to ever run the ball out of the backfield too?  Rolling Eyes

You either *get* the injury risk to a slight-framed player who is a major, key component to your O's success while 11 players on the other side are running at full-speed down the field to try to kill you and you alone--or you don't...  There's nothing I can do to help the cucumber seed grow--if you're offering me a *rock* for soil...   Laughing

The bottom line is that it's a patently stupid risk to take--particular for a player like this just coming off a major knee injury...  You'll just have to take my word for it, Cliffy...  Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:47 am

_HD_ wrote:
JnC4GB wrote:

You either *get* the injury risk to a slight-framed player who is a major, key component to your O's success while 11 players on the other side are running at full-speed down the field to try to kill you and you alone--or you don't...  There's nothing I can do to help the cucumber seed grow--if you're offering me a *rock* for soil...   Laughing

The bottom line is that it's a patently stupid risk to take--particular for a player like this just coming off a major knee injury...  You'll just have to take my word for it, Cliffy...  Cool

Isn't that your mantra, HD?

Of course I'm going to take your word for it. I'm a die hard Packer fan and I read just about everything I possibly can about the team. But of course your comments carry much more weight than Packer coaching staff and management, and all of those professionals who travel to all the games and do this for a living.

Damn, it must be great to just listen to a few games on the radio and have such a solid and comprehensive grasp on the team. Maybe they should fire Fatty and Whitey and hire you do do both jobs. What a bargain! cheers
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by RingoCStarrQB Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:45 am

The well-known rule is..........only put your money return guys back there during the playoffs and/or a do-or-die playoff clinching game (i.e., the Bears-Packers game last December).  So I am 100% (no...........just 99%  LOL LOL) with Seymour Nixon-Clint on this one.    I knew I was right when I was clamoring for Devin Hester during the free agency period.........EFFEN TT EFFs it up again.............this odor is like last season's offensive line............get the Glade and Lysol would ya please!!
RingoCStarrQB
RingoCStarrQB
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:10 am

_HD_ wrote:
JnC4GB wrote:

Couple of things here.

1. Cobb is not a "slight-framed player". He is on the short side, but he is otherwise a brick shithouse for the position he plays. Slight-framed players do not get to run the ball out of an NFL backfield. The dude is fucking ripped.

2.  He is not coming off a major knee injury. He had a cracked tibia that took only weeks to heal. He came back from it last season.

Try to keep it real, dude.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:48 am

"Slight framed players" generally do not make it to the NFL. The only one I can think of who remotely fits that bill was Donald Driver... and he was pure muscle and incredibly durable.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:46 pm

JnC4GB wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
JnC4GB wrote:

Couple of things here.

1. Cobb is not a "slight-framed player". He is on the short side, but he is otherwise a brick shithouse for the position he plays. Slight-framed players do not get to run the ball out of an NFL backfield. The dude is fucking ripped.

2.  He is not coming off a major knee injury. He had a cracked tibia that took only weeks to heal. He came back from it last season.

Try to keep it real, dude.

Thanks for correcting me on the injury.  I had forgotten that it was the leg and not the knee...

As far as Cobb's frame goes--he absolutely is slight-framed.  He's relatively short and certainly not particularly broad.  Yes--he's decently ripped...but that wasn't what my comment was based on.  Frame= skeletal system, Cliffy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:51 pm

duck wrote:"Slight framed players" generally do not make it to the NFL.  The only one I can think of who remotely fits that bill was Donald Driver... and he was pure muscle and incredibly durable.

Laughing   Sure sure, Duck...  Being your two sole sources of wisdom--did you read that on Cheesehead TV or hear it from some other intoxicated, self-proclaimed *diehard* Packer homer at your sports bar who has never seen a Packer game live at Lambeau Field?

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:54 pm

Utter horseshit.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:12 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
JnC4GB wrote:

Of course I'm going to take your word for it.  I'm a die hard Packer fan and I read just about everything I possibly can about the team.  But of course your comments carry much more weight than Packer coaching staff and management, and all of those professionals who travel to all the games and do this for a living.

Damn, it must be great to just listen to a few games on the radio and have such a solid and comprehensive grasp on the team.  Maybe they should fire Fatty and Whitey and hire you do do both jobs.  What a bargain!  cheers
Thanks for those kind words, Duck...   Wink

Naw...  I couldn't live in Green Bay Wisconsin...  You see--I don't deer hunt or wear flannel shirts or like country music and a rip-roaring night out on the town for me doesn't include a stop at the bingo parlor or Fleet Farm...  Beyond that--I like my women to have all their teeth, bathe regularly and not need to wonder who left a peanut on the counter for the elephant-ass I see lumbering through my kitchen...  It just wouldn't work.  But if I did--I want you to rest-assured that I would absolutely hire you to be the new Vic Ketchman...  You're just the right mix of delusional qualities to work out famously in that role...   Laughing

Last edited by _HD_ on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:25 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Utter horseshit.

LOL.  I somehow sense that you may not be entirely onboard with my claim that frame size is related to bone structure and little else...

Here Cliffy--educate yourself, eh?  You see anything about being or not being ripped in there?    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm

Just tryin' to keep it real fer meh dogs in the pound, bitch...   Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:33 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
JnC4GB wrote:

Of course I'm going to take your word for it.  I'm a die hard Packer fan and I read just about everything I possibly can about the team.  But of course your comments carry much more weight than Packer coaching staff and management, and all of those professionals who travel to all the games and do this for a living.

Damn, it must be great to just listen to a few games on the radio and have such a solid and comprehensive grasp on the team.  Maybe they should fire Fatty and Whitey and hire you do do both jobs.  What a bargain!  cheers
Thanks for those kind words, Duck...   Wink

Naw...  I couldn't live in Green Bay Wisconsin...  You see--I don't deer hunt or wear flannel shirts or like country music and a rip-roaring night out on the town for me doesn't include a stop at the bingo parlor or Fleet Farm...  Beyond that--I like my women to have all their teeth, bathe regularly and not need to wonder who left a peanut on the counter for the elephant-ass I see lumbering through my kitchen...  It just wouldn't work.  But if I did--I want you to rest-assured that I would absolutely hire you to be the new Vic Ketchman...  You're just the right mix of delusional qualities to work out famously in that role...   Laughing

No fucking way am I wearing a hairpiece.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:40 pm

_HD_ wrote:

LOL.  I somehow sense that you may not be entirely onboard with my claim that frame size is related to bone structure and little else...

Here Cliffy--educate yourself, eh?  You see anything about being or not being ripped in there?    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm

You're trying to turn this thing around to wrist size??  You know perfectly well what we were talking about... and it's not that.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:57 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

You're trying to turn this thing around to wrist size??  You know perfectly well what we were talking about... and it's not that.

Try not to be so obtuse, Duck...  The whole point of the accepted standard for characterizing frame size is to use something like the wrist as the standard for comparison so you ARE NOT merely measuring muscle mass--as the wrist doesn't build muscle mass.  You see--exactly the opposite of what you and little Cliffy were trying to contend.  Frame size is about the skeletal system...bone structure--and clearly Cobb is relatively slight-framed for an NFL player...

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Talk about being "obtuse"... Rolling Eyes
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:20 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Talk about being "obtuse"... Rolling Eyes

God-damn I get some good laughs out of how you two ass-clowns are soooooo afraid of admitting you're wrong or have made a mistake...  It's like you're afraid if you do maybe your scrotums will shrink down to the size/texture of a pea and cut off the blood supply to the McNibblers...   Laughing

No worries--Duck should be along any minute to ignorantly back you up, Cliffy...  Hang tight.   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by JnC4GB Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:03 pm

Sorry, held your hand one too many times down the Troll Highway.  Cool

Time to find someone new to grease your pole, Billy-Bob.
JnC4GB
JnC4GB
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:37 pm

JnC4GB wrote:Sorry, held your hand one too many times down the Troll Highway.  Cool

OK, but don't forget your trusty chart you so like to cling to, Cliffy...   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:46 pm

_HD_ wrote:
JnC4GB wrote:Sorry, held your hand one too many times down the Troll Highway.  Cool

OK, but don't forget your trusty chart you so like to cling to, Cliffy...   Laughing

I'm so glad you posted this, HD. This is EXACTLY how your mind works with your preconceived notions about McCarthy.
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:03 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

I'm so glad you posted this, HD.  This is EXACTLY how your mind works with your preconceived notions about McCarthy.

Thanks for not disappointing, Duck...   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by duck Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:45 pm

_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

I'm so glad you posted this, HD.  This is EXACTLY how your mind works with your preconceived notions about McCarthy.

You're very welcome... and likewise. cheers
duck
duck
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:29 pm

duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:
duck wrote:
_HD_ wrote:

You're very welcome... and likewise.   cheers

A little honest challenge for you, Duck...  Please try to name just three decisions in the past year that you saw McCarthy make that you felt at the time he made them--were wrong and inastute.  Anything.  Game management.  Personnel utilization.  Training routines--anything...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next